• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first camino, my first blog...

BoxOfFrogs

Hey folks,

I am preparing to undertake my first camino in a few weeks time, leaving on the 28th August 2012. I am hoping to blog along the way using my iPhone.

It was never really my intention to blog, I was thinking to keep a journal but have been persuaded otherwise by a few interested people, namely my nearest and dearest.

So yeah, I have been posting a few entries in the last few week or so, I really do think it will be interesting to look back on them after my camino, see where my preconceived ideas were totally wrong, or otherwise.

So here goes, pop over and have a gander if you fancy it,

Steve.

http://followtheyellowarrows.blogspot.co.uk/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hija, BoxOfFrogs. What a great name! Your blog is so amusing, please do keep us posted. Sorry to hear of your family's suffering, glad to hear of your daughter's recovery.

Regards & Buen Camino,
-Lovingkindness

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks folks... I appreciate the encourgment. Not long to go now, I don't think I intended for my blog to be funny. However I guess it's just the way I see the world sometimes.

Our daughter is doing really well thanks, back to school in September so she is getting very excited!

Regards,

Steve.

I am sorry BoxOfFrogs. I do appologise. It must be the head cold medication I’m on, everything has a manic tinge . Sometimes I find the cross-cultural divide gets in the way, too and I misinterpret things. May I start again and say instead, Nice to meet you, BoxOfFrogs, y Buen Camino!

Oh no, no need to apologise at all! I agree, some of the things I have written about are rather amusing, like random great white sharks in people's roofs and chickens eating vomit. What I meant was initially i was cajoled into blogging as a way of keeping tabs on me! However I can't seem to keep on topic and have just started writing whatever comes into my pea sized brain! So I guess I hope it is amusing but that was never my intention or motivation. It just seems to be turning into what will hopefully be an amusing and informative account of this and past adventures. If only 1 person enjoys it its been worth while, besides, I find it hard to write on my iPhone so every second spent blogging will be less time for me to be in a bar getting into trouble.

Thanks for reading!

Steve.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Your photo of the Angel & Greyhound and reference to sharks in roofs implies an Oxford connection.
I work in Oxford and am halfway through my first camino frances so I feel a connection :)

My camino is spread over 4 years due to the necessity of my companion and I to work for a living.

Year 1 (2011) was SJPP to Najera, Year 2 (2012) was Najera to Sahagun. I plan to arrive in Santiago in 2014 - the year I retire!

The experience to date has been great in many ways and hopefully will continue to be so.

Good luck to you in your camino.

Ultreia!

Steve (BoxOfFrogs).. Saved your Blog address & looking forward to following you across Spain. Best of Luck :)

JImSheppard .. Might bump into you in 2014 if your heading out in Sept 2014 . My wife & I are planning our Start in SJPdP mid month .. doing it all in one gulp (Hopefully) .

Joe

Buen Camino

Hi Fred, thanks for that. Time will tell on how it goes, I shall promise to be honest!

Jim, yup some of those training walks certainly were in Oxford. I also work in the area, near Bicester. I live further up in the midlands these days mind. However Bicester to Oxford and back provided for some good walking through Headington, Islip etc.

How's your current camino going? I actually like the idea of doing a long walk in stages. I think it has a certain appeal, it would certainly make the camino last a lot longer, I imagine it is very much a part of your life all year round. Waiting for the next adventure.

Hope it's going well and Buen camino!

Steve.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Steve,

You are right about the anticipation. It's fun planning the next stage each year. You also acquire some skills in using the Spanish infrastucture - booking coaches, trains etc..

However, I have found myself regretting that I have to stop and the end of a stage and wanting to carry on. I may well address this by doing the Camino del Norte in one fell swoop after I retire.

Jim

Well that's nearly it. I'm on my way to finsterre ( a pie) so might as well continue the blog for now. I haven't struggled too much to fit in the blogging and the iPhone whilst not 'easy' to type on gave me no real difficulties. I also never struggled to keep it charged as power sockets are easily and widely available.

One of the guys I was walking with has lost his diary, he left it behind somewhere and it pretty gutted. It made me realise a distinct advantage to uploading a post daily was that once its sent it's safe!

So days to do...

Steve.

Hi Steve, I have just read through your blog and found it fascinating. Well done! I intend doing the Camino next Spring once I have convinced the missus that it's a good idea. I'm meeting with a little resistance so far, but I'm reasonably sure that she will send me off with her good wishes.
Regards and congratulations,
Dicky.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the encouragement mate! It's appreciated. Best of luck in getting yourself on the Camino in the near future. It's hard going for family who are left behind but I think that if you need to do it, you just need to do it. The urge to walk the camino is a strange thing indeed.

Steve.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.