• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first Camino - Portuguese from Porto, May 2023

dugavski

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese, May 2023
Primitivo, May 2024
Hi,

I will arrive in Porto late afternoon on May 6th and start walking on May 8th – first day coastal, then central route + spiritual variant.
I found most of the answers and instructions here on the forum and in couple of books and guides.
I am happy to explore a bit of Porto and I have two full weeks to finish my first Camino.
The equipment is almost ready, I'm ready and I can't wait to start walking.
My only concern is about the bed bugs but I'll get over it somehow.
Plan is not to take the boat from Vilanova De Arousa and to walk all the stages.

This is a short introduction and I hope everything goes well (after some airliner cancelation but this is solved now).

Bom Caminho Pilgrims!

P.S. Camino Primitivo is already somewhere in my mind…

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sounds like a plan!! The only thing I would do differently, I would not spend two days in Porto, you may need the extra days to make it to Santiago. 😊

Thank you! I have flight back from Santiago on 21st early in the morning - that means I have 13 days after leaving Porto... but will check my stages once again :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Having just walked the Central route in October - I believe you can easily make it in 12 days depending on your health and condition. I would consider the coastal out of Porto for the first few days. I found the first two days on the Central out of Porto were not very enjoyable due to cars, noise, cobblestones and road / very close to road walking. By day 3 things were fine.

Having just walked the Central route in October - I believe you can easily make it in 12 days depending on your health and condition. I would consider the coastal out of Porto for the first few days. I found the first two days on the Central out of Porto were not very enjoyable due to cars, noise, cobblestones and road / very close to road walking. By day 3 things were fine.
Absolutely take the coastal route out of Porto (even senda littoral). Going through Maia, dodging cars and spraining ankles on the cobblestones is not fun!! The only thing I liked about the cobblestones is that you could hear the cars coming!! Enjoy.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm home!

I took the coastal route out of Porto and than joined central from Vila do Conde (by aqueduct).
I also took the Spiritual way.
12 days of walking, beautiful scenery, nice weather and great people all the way.
I'm already planning my next camino :)

Ultreia!

I took the coastal route out of Porto and than joined central from Vila do Conde (by aqueduct).
Hi dugavski - great to hear your camino went so well - and it sounds like you have the camino bug now 🫥

When you wrote that you joined the central from Vila do Conde (by aqueduct) I wondered whether they/you had made a variant path that followed the route of the aqueduct?
So I looked it up on Mapy.cz but I can't see a path, although a small road seems to follow alongside.
However.. you have made me think that there could be a really interesting variant which would only add a km to the route to Rates and be much more interesting thant the current one.
One could follow the aqueduct to the village of Beiriz, where it ends. Then walk along small lanes to the archeological site of Cividade de Terroso - an important hill-fort town in pre-Roman times. Then walk along small lanes going east to Sao Pedro de Rates.

Sorry for hijacking your thread!

Hi dugavski - great to hear your camino went so well - and it sounds like you have the camino bug now 🫥

When you wrote that you joined the central from Vila do Conde (by aqueduct) I wondered whether they/you had made a variant path that followed the route of the aqueduct?
So I looked it up on Mapy.cz but I can't see a path, although a small road seems to follow alongside.
However.. you have made me think that there could be a really interesting variant which would only add a km to the route to Rates and be much more interesting thant the current one.
One could follow the aqueduct to the village of Beiriz, where it ends. Then walk along small lanes to the archeological site of Cividade de Terroso - an important hill-fort town in pre-Roman times. Then walk along small lanes going east to Sao Pedro de Rates.

I believe the Wise Pilgrim Portugues app shows the aqueduct route connecting Vila do Conde and Rates.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I was starting to follow the river route (as suggested in the tourist info office) but then after some time I lost arrows. After 10 minutes of walking through the streets, I saw an aqueduct on my left and decided to follow it. Once I reached the aqueduct the route was very pleasant and well marked.

And I missed archeological site of Cividade de Terroso... since I didn't want to use mobile apps and maps.
I had a plan not to depend on my phone so I was enjoying old fashioned walk with following the arrows. Maybe I missed some nice spots but it was very relaxed for me.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back