• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first camino - report of the walk September 2019

JacquelineD

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September 2019
Hi Everyone
I know lots of people before me have completed a Camino but I just wanted to let you all know how I got on.
I've been wanting to do my Camino for about 7 years and never had the courage to actually book flights and do it solo.
For some reason one night I looked at flight times. Then checked train times from home to airport and it all fit. So I booked the flights and train tickets.
Then it was accommodation. Luggage transfer, (I know) but as we all say it is our own personal pilgrimage and this was what I was comfortable with.
I only booked 2 weeks before and a hundred times or more I thought I cant do this alone. But my daughter who suffers from anxiety had just travelled 4 weeks around Australia and Bali.....so if she could do it. I could!
So here goes:-
Flight from stansted Ryanair to Santiago went smoothly. Had about an hour to wait at the airport for the bus to Lugo. Great - no rushing so I could keep calm! Outside the airport are 2 machines 1 for local bus 1 for the bus to Lugo. Very easy to use, has english language and paid by card. €8.75. By the time the bus arrived a group of people appeared from the Dublin flight and i was lucky enough to get chatting to a lovely young girl from Dublin who was also going to Sarria. Bus journey was almost 2 hrs. It was late arriving at airport so by the time we arrived in Lugo the last bus to Sarria had gone. We got a taxi. €40. But we were tired and that was the only option.

Accommodation are so used to pilgrims and have credentials etc there for you and your first stamp! How exciting. I was quite relaxed and slept well.

Next morning up early. Breakfast and set off. Signs were clearly visible and my start was up some very steep steps. I met my friend further along and off we set.
I needn't have worried. Theres so many signs, all clear, the only chance you would get lost is if you're not paying attention. Plus there were a lot of people walking this route. Not so many as to be annoying as in some places you could walk for some way alone.

I walked 2 days with my friend and 2 days completely alone and I loved walking alone although as I say there were people around so you're completely safe. Everyone is so friendly.

My last day I left my accommodation in Pedrouzo very early. 6.45am. We had heard the day before that the Pilgrims Office ran out of tickets at 11am. Which was true. I was flying out of santiago the next day and I wanted my Compostela. Not everything to everyone but it was to me.
It was pitch black and pouring with rain and I thought oh heck! As I was about to give up as I got to the end of the town and couldn't see a sign; out of nowhere appeared an Angel. Alessandra who lives in Barcelona. We walked together with the torch from my phone (i know......well equipped!) In the rain and the pitch black and how we were thankful for each other. No need to worry as within 10 minutes more pilgrims started to emerge onto the way.
That last hike was long. Not hard. We were wet. Tired. Aching and eager to get there so it made it long. But we made it by 11.10am got our ticket and went to collapse in a cafe.

I am so glad i did it. I'm a firm believer in what is meant to be etc. And it was time for me to do my Camino. We had to wait until 4.30pm when our number came up to get our Compostela and the tickets ran out at 2pm that day.

Here's a few pointers or tips regarding shoes, socks, etc.

The first 2 days I wore shorts and a gym vest. It was hot. The other 3 days I layered up with dry wicking vests and t shirts and leggings. I carried my daily essentials and sent my bag on via Camino facil who were fabulous. Always take a waterproof jacket with you!
I wore trainers (sneakers) which were fine apart from the last day when of course it poured and my feet got wet but they soon dried out.
I didnt get any blisters.
I wore Isocool trainer socks then a lightweight merino sock over the top. I had trainers that were 1 1/2 sizes bigger than my usual shoes
I didnt use poles the 1st day but on arrival at Portomarin I bought some and was so glad I did. They powered me up some of those hills and also helped massively going down hills. I am relatively fit. Go to the gym. Spin. Have a road bike. But walking 20k or more per day you do feel it. And flying home you check them in for free.
There are lots of cafes along the way to stop. Enjoying the atmosphere and take time out. Sometimes I would stop in a forest and just soak it all up. The last leg there are only 2 cafes. We stopped at the 15k cafe for coffee and I'm glad we did.

When we arrived in Santiago and had had some food coffee and water and had got our ticket we went to the Cathedral. The square was buzzing with so many pilgrims. The sun had come out. There was happiness everywhere. And so we sat on the floor against a pillar at the back so we were facing the majestic Cathedral and we watched all these Pilgrims from all over the world. Celebrating their Camino. Meeting up with friends they had made along The Way. Taking selfies. Taking photos. Smiling. Resting. Relaxing. We were asked to take photos for Pilgrims. We saw a proposal.....and the whole crowd cheered and applauded. How wonderful. It was such a joyous time and we actually sat there for 2 hours! I think more because we couldn't actually move!
I will never forget my time walking the Camino. I loved it all. Even the dark. The rain. The aches. The lack of sleep due to other people's snoring! It was such a special thing for me to do. An achievement. And yes I got my Compostela. 😁
Already I'm looking at other Caminos. Like everyone else has said before me....once you've walked a Camino it wont be your last.

I hope this has helped anyone who is undecided or just needed to know what socks to wear! These are the things that bothered me. With a little planning it is achievable. And honestly, if I can do it, mum of 4, Nanny of 1 and 56 years old who's never done a solo trip, then you can and you wont regret it. I sincerely mean this; it is absolutely the best thing I have ever done for myself and by myself.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One thing I forgot to add!
The flight I got from stansted was the only one that day and the timings for the bus to lugo and then lugo to sarria were very tight. 5 minutes in fact. Hence we missed the bus from lugo to sarria.
However, a man from Denmark was on the bus at the airport and he was staying in lugo for the night. Then catching the bus to sarria the next morning to sarria to start his walk. Why didnt I think about that?! Perfect planning and saved him the cost of a taxi.
To be honest I didnt mind the taxi. I was thrilled I had actually made it to start my Camino.
This is just in case someone else is nervous about the timings or worried for their planning. Hope it helps and doesnt sound patronising 😁 regards and thank you all for your wishes and comments xx

@JacquelineD
A lovely report and I think we can all see that you have now become " Camino addicted".

Buen Camino , ultreia and just keep on walking!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for the report. I have just completed my first Camino, arriving in Santiago on September 21st from Castro Urdiales in Cantabria. Like Jacqueline I think I am now 'hooked'.
It was a wonderful experience and I met some fantastic people on the way. When I have read through my notes I will write in more detail but in short, Yes it did change me and No it wasn't hard.
I am 67, had only walked 20 miles in a day once in my life and never walked for two days together.
To anyone who is thinking about it I can only say do it and Buen Camino!

Hi Everyone
I know lots of people before me have completed a Camino but I just wanted to let you all know how I got on.
I've been wanting to do my Camino for about 7 years and never had the courage to actually book flights and do it solo.
For some reason one night I looked at flight times. Then checked train times from home to airport and it all fit. So I booked the flights and train tickets.
Then it was accommodation. Luggage transfer, (I know) but as we all say it is our own personal pilgrimage and this was what I was comfortable with.
I only booked 2 weeks before and a hundred times or more I thought I cant do this alone. But my daughter who suffers from anxiety had just travelled 4 weeks around Australia and Bali.....so if she could do it. I could!
Flight from stansted Ryanair to Santiago went smoothly. Had about an hour to wait at the airport for the bus to Lugo. Great - no rushing so I could keep calm! Outside the airport are 2 machines 1 for local bus 1 for the bus to Lugo. Very easy to use, has english language and paid by card. €8.75. By the time the bus arrived a group of people appeared from the Dublin flight and i was lucky enough to get chatting to a lovely young girl from Dublin who was also going to Sarria. Bus journey was almost 2 hrs. It was late arriving at airport so by the time we arrived in Lugo the last bus to Sarria had gone. We got a taxi. €40. But we were tired and that was the only option.

Accommodation are so used to pilgrims and have credentials etc there for you and your first stamp! How exciting. I was quite relaxed and slept well.

Next morning up early. Breakfast and set off. Signs were clearly visible and my start was up some very steep steps. I met my friend further along and off we set.
I needn't have worried. Theres so many signs, all clear, the only chance you would get lost is if you're not paying attention. Plus there were a lot of people walking this route. Not so many as to be annoying as in some places you could walk for some way alone.

I walked 2 days with my friend and 2 days completely alone and I loved walking alone although as I say there were people around so you're completely safe. Everyone is so friendly.

My last day I left my accommodation in Pedrouzo very early. 6.45am. We had heard the day before that the Pilgrims Office ran out of tickets at 11am. Which was true. I was flying out of santiago the next day and I wanted my Compostela. Not everything to everyone but it was to me.
It was pitch black and pouring with rain and I thought oh heck! As I was about to give up as I got to the end of the town and couldn't see a sign; out of nowhere appeared an Angel. Alessandra who lives in Barcelona. We walked together with the torch from my phone (i know......well equipped!) In the rain and the pitch black and how we were thankful for each other. No need to worry as within 10 minutes more pilgrims started to emerge onto the way.
That last hike was long. Not hard. We were wet. Tired. Aching and eager to get there so it made it long. But we made it by 11.10am got our ticket and went to collapse in a cafe.

I am so glad i did it. I'm a firm believer in what is meant to be etc. And it was time for me to do my Camino. We had to wait until 4.30pm when our number came up to get our Compostela and the tickets ran out at 2pm that day.

The first 2 days I wore shorts and a gym vest. It was hot. The other 3 days I layered up with dry wicking vests and t shirts and leggings. I carried my daily essentials and sent my bag on via Camino facil who were fabulous. Always take a waterproof jacket with you!
I wore trainers (sneakers) which were fine apart from the last day when of course it poured and my feet got wet but they soon dried out.
I wore Isocool trainer socks then a lightweight merino sock over the top. I had trainers that were 1 1/2 sizes bigger than my usual shoes
I didnt use poles the 1st day but on arrival at Portomarin I bought some and was so glad I did. They powered me up some of those hills and also helped massively going down hills. I am relatively fit. Go to the gym. Spin. Have a road bike. But walking 20k or more per day you do feel it. And flying home you check them in for free.
There are lots of cafes along the way to stop. Enjoying the atmosphere and take time out. Sometimes I would stop in a forest and just soak it all up. The last leg there are only 2 cafes. We stopped at the 15k cafe for coffee and I'm glad we did.

When we arrived in Santiago and had had some food coffee and water and had got our ticket we went to the Cathedral. The square was buzzing with so many pilgrims. The sun had come out. There was happiness everywhere. And so we sat on the floor against a pillar at the back so we were facing the majestic Cathedral and we watched all these Pilgrims from all over the world. Celebrating their Camino. Meeting up with friends they had made along The Way. Taking selfies. Taking photos. Smiling. Resting. Relaxing. We were asked to take photos for Pilgrims. We saw a proposal.....and the whole crowd cheered and applauded. How wonderful. It was such a joyous time and we actually sat there for 2 hours! I think more because we couldn't actually move!
I will never forget my time walking the Camino. I loved it all. Even the dark. The rain. The aches. The lack of sleep due to other people's snoring! It was such a special thing for me to do. An achievement. And yes I got my Compostela. 😁
Already I'm looking at other Caminos. Like everyone else has said before me....once you've walked a Camino it wont be your last.

I hope this has helped anyone who is undecided or just needed to know what socks to wear! These are the things that bothered me. With a little planning it is achievable. And honestly, if I can do it, mum of 4, Nanny of 1 and 56 years old who's never done a solo trip, then you can and you wont regret it. I sincerely mean this; it is absolutely the best thing I have ever done for myself and by myself.
Buen Camino
Congratulations and well done Jacqueline. You’ve been bitten by the Camino bug! 😍. I’m on a six year journey to complete the James Way (due to work commitments) and next year I go from Astorga to Sarria, then walking into Santiago in 2021. I travel every year on my own but I’m never alone and meet wonderful pilgrims every time. I’m a little older than you and a female solo Camino traveler. It’s an addiction that is hard to explain to those who haven’t done it. You’ve had a first wonderful experience, so I’d highly recommend you go to the start SJPP next time and if your time commitments only allow a trip a year then take it stage by stage. I envy those I meet walking the 800km in one go, but for me I’ll look 🙄 back after my six year with an amazing sense if achievement and something to be proud of .... so do continue.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you!

It seems I am as all I've done since I got back is a) rave about it.....but not too loud! And b) look at other routes 😁
Great post, thank you for sharing. It was interesting to read. Especially the parts about your doubts and hesitation and how you overcame it. I'm inspired by reading this and so will others undoubtedly be.
And yes, you are undoubtedly smitten by the Camino now. I don't think we have heard the last from you.
Buen Camino. 👍👍👍

Hi Everyone

Buen Camino
Thank you for sharing your experience and good for you for getting out of your comfort zone! I’m so excited for my journey in 2021.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for this. I also did Sarria to Santiago and finished last Monday. Brought back great memories for me. Like you, I think I have the bug and will do another one (or more) in the future.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Everyone

Buen Camino
Thank you so much for sharing your journey. Many congratulations on your achievement. Your story certainly gave me the boost that I need just now. I had planned to walk from Sarria last year when I was 80 but my husband got a stroke in September so I had to cancel. Fortunately, he made a very good recovery and I now plan to attempt the journey. I fly from Stansted to Santiago with Ryanair on 22nd Oct, then bus to Lugo where I plan to spend a night before going on to Sarria the following day.. I have gone a step further and booked overnight accommodation en route plus luggage transfer with a company. Not the journey of the original pilgrims, I know but it reassures my husband who would love to join me but is unable to for health reasons. I am having all the last minute doubts that you mention but for me "It's now or never". I shall write again when/if I manage to complete the journey and get my Compostela.
Breda Timmins

@brenda Timmins
Go for it! It sounds as though you've planned well and will have the confidence to fulfill your dream.
In 2016 en route to SdC from Sarria I met a lady of almost 80 who'd planned to do the walk with her sister. The sister unfortunately broke an ankle before they were due to travel so was unable to go. The lady I met said perhaps her greatest achievement was getting herself on her own from Santiago airport to join the organised group at Sarria but she'd managed that and I saw her again at the cathedral, she had fulfilled her dream.

Really enjoyed your post. I am going with a group next year but after I see how things go perhaps I will have the courage to do as you did and go it alone another time!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back