• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first Camino walk - am really excited

therese Walsh

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese coastal route - Porto to Baiona on 19th September 2016
Hi All, I am a new Camino walker and due to walk the coastal route from Porto to Baiona on 19th September. Can anyone guide me on how easy it is to follow this route - are there plenty of markings/ signs? Do the hotels in each town have maps or is it better to get one before I go? It would also be good to know if I can wear my trainers or if walking shoes are better. I have booked my hotels and plan to get my luggage moved by them. If anyone has any tips in general, I would really appreciate if you could send them on

Thanks a lot
Therese

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome Therese. I have not walked this route but have driven it several times and from what I could see it is well marked. There are some beautiful towns on your way through, but Caminha , Oia and Baiona were my favourites.
Bom Caminho.

Hi Therese, welcome to the forum! If you go to:

http://maps.me/en/home

you can download to your phone the map for the area you will be walking in. When you are offline, and arrive in town, you can zoom in and locate your hotel, supermarket, restaurants, etc.

Bom caminho!

Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Therese,
I'll be four days in front of you, and haven't ever done it before, but if you look in the search box, there has been a lot of discussion about the senda costal / litoral recently, and it seems it's pretty well marked these days.

Shoes are an intensely personal choice. Here's my two cents: I've been told the coastal routes are easy enough to do in sandals, and that there is so much concrete and cobblestones that the central route may be easier on your feet. What everyone says is hike in what feels good on your feet. I'd tried to find something lighter than my Lowa boots that my wide feet would be happy with, and after many experiments, gave up. So I'm hiking in Lowas, which my feet love. Much "more" boot than the route may require, but I'll have a lot more sole between my feet and the cobblestones, so I'm hoping that I'll feel them less.
Bom caminho!
Kari

Hi Therese
Bom caminho and stay safe!

Hi Therese. I'm Therese too!
I've been on the Camino Frances for almost three weeks in trail running shoes, and have had just one tiny toe blister. They are very comfortable and are working for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Enjoy Therese! i will be walking my first camino too just a few days before you. I am concentrating (and working hard) to not carry so much weight by eliminating things from my backpack 😳 and to have very comfortable shoes so i can walk to find “my way“. Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back