• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino My first Camino

Nastucha

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to walk the Camino in late spring - early autumn 2017, but have not decided which route to take
Hi everyone, my name is Anastasia and this Camino (starting from Madrid and heading towards Santiago and maybe a bit further if I can make it) is a part of my first ever solo travel experience. I am a little unprepared and was feeling really anxious about starting the Camino for about 2 weeks and I'm also getting a tiny bit lonely after not meeting any other pilgrims on my fist day, so I desided to write this thread instead to share my experiences here with you...I am planning only 1 day in advance and following a few blogs on this forum which I found very useful, thanks to all of you who share experiences here☺️

Day 1. Madrid to Tres Cantos
So after arriving to Madrid and doing last minute shopping for Camino essentials I to set off on my first day of walking from the Church of Santiago and Saint John the Baptist around 12pm on Friday 22/09. It wasn't a particularly pleasant walk until I got out of the city centre and onto unpaved path. I met no pilgrims on the route, just heard a couple of "buen camino'es" from a couple of cyclists passing by. All the suggested hotels in Tres Cantos were booked out except for the most expensive one and I wasn't really prepared to pay 100Eur on my first day of the Camino, so I have called the local police the day before to arrange to stay at an ayuntamento/albergue there (10:30pm to 6am). I had one more call to the police when I was waiting at the Ayuntamento as I was afraid they have forgotten about me and then it was all settled shortly after. I had the whole room in the basement to myself and the town hall didn't appear to be haunted-that's a bonus -Yess9BA5BC2A-FAA6-4F51-9C45-D9E4F25FB992.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for sharing your experience. Choosing one of the less-travelled Caminos as your first route is a bold step. Congratulations! I hope that you continue to enjoy your journey and carry on updating us all on your progress.

Edit: A PS. Another forum member - @timr - walked the Camino de Madrid quite recently and posted about it here. If you have not already seen his posts you might find them useful.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-short-walk-from-madrid.47865/

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone, my name is Anastasia and this Camino (starting from Madrid and heading towards Santiago and maybe a bit further if I can make it) is a part of my first ever solo travel experience. I am a little unprepared and was feeling really anxious about starting the Camino for about 2 weeks and I'm also getting a tiny bit lonely after not meeting any other pilgrims on my fist day, so I desided to write this thread instead to share my experiences here with you...I am planning only 1 day in advance and following a few blogs on this forum which I found very useful, thanks to all of you who share experiences here☺️

Day 1. Madrid to Tres Cantos
So after arriving to Madrid and doing last minute shopping for Camino essentials I to set off on my first day of walking from the Church of Santiago and Saint John the Baptist around 12pm on Friday 22/09. It wasn't a particularly pleasant walk until I got out of the city centre and onto unpaved path. I met no pilgrims on the route, just heard a couple of "buen camino'es" from a couple of cyclists passing by. All the suggested hotels in Tres Cantos were booked out except for the most expensive one and I wasn't really prepared to pay 100Eur on my first day of the Camino, so I have called the local police the day before to arrange to stay at an ayuntamento/albergue there (10:30pm to 6am). I had one more call to the police when I was waiting at the Ayuntamento as I was afraid they have forgotten about me and then it was all settled shortly after. I had the whole room in the basement to myself and the town hall didn't appear to be haunted-that's a bonus -YessView attachment 36378

Sounds like you are doing the deluxe-camino with lodging in private halls and with no snoring from fellow travelers.

Enjoy your camino, and remember if the solitude get to much you can always grab a bus/train to CF and continue your camino there.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sounds like you are doing the deluxe-camino with lodging in private halls and with no snoring from fellow travelers.

Enjoy your camino, and remember if the solitude get to much you can always grab a bus/train to CF and continue your camino there.

Buen camino.
Yes! I might just get used to this luxury! And I'm starting to enjoy walking alone too☺️

Day 2. Tres Cantos to Manzenares el Real (
I have started the day with vacating my "deluxe" lodgings at the Tres Cantos at 6am on Saturday morning and I was surprised to find a cafe open right next to the train station-bonus! At 7am, with still one hour left before sunrise, I have attempted to start walking, but soon realised that it would be rather hard to find the yellow arrows with a tourch-woops, so I had to retrace my steps back to the city.
As the sun rose, I found myself getting distracted by pretty sunrise, then by my phone and by my own thoughts...and every time I got distracted, I was loosing track of the yellow arrows and had to retrace my steps back...quite methaforic of life, isn't it!?☺️
I have visited a local museum and tourist information centre in Colmenar Viejo (very nice little establishment) and have been told that I am the 4th pilgrims to have come by on the last 2 months (not a popular route, it makes sense now!). There were beautiful views to the mountains exiting Colmenar Viejo, but it was 3pm already and really-really hot (forecast said 25C but felt like 35C)! Slowly, but surely I have made it to Manzanares el Real, where I have arranged to meet with Rosa (http://www.rayyrosa.com). Their hospitality was amazing! Not only I had a nice room in their house (deluxe again!) but they also offered to wash my clothes and took me to see the Castillo de los Mendoza, which looked really pretty being lit up at night!
Mental note to myself: try not to walk at around 3pm-being the hottest part of the day!C6D4E938-09D2-488A-8AB5-4553DB71AC38.jpg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @Nastucha
My hat off to you for forging on when it was tough and lonely. It will be a wonderful way for you.
I've walked quiet routes before but still haven't had the good fortune to walk Camino Madrid.
You are certainly inspiring to be doing this on your first Camino and you will get a lot from the experience. Keep posting please, and
'Buen camino'
Annie

Day 2. Tres Cantos to Manzenares el Real (
I have started the day with vacating my "deluxe" lodgings at the Tres Cantos at 6am on Saturday morning and I was surprised to find a cafe open right next to the train station-bonus! At 7am, with still one hour left before sunrise, I have attempted to start walking, but soon realised that it would be rather hard to find the yellow arrows with a tourch-woops, so I had to retrace my steps back to the city.
As the sun rose, I found myself getting distracted by pretty sunrise, then by my phone and by my own thoughts...and every time I got distracted, I was loosing track of the yellow arrows and had to retrace my steps back...quite methaforic of life, isn't it!?☺️
I have visited a local museum and tourist information centre in Colmenar Viejo (very nice little establishment) and have been told that I am the 4th pilgrims to have come by on the last 2 months (not a popular route, it makes sense now!). There were beautiful views to the mountains exiting Colmenar Viejo, but it was 3pm already and really-really hot (forecast said 25C but felt like 35C)! Slowly, but surely I have made it to Manzanares el Real, where I have arranged to meet with Rosa (http://www.rayyrosa.com). Their hospitality was amazing! Not only I had a nice room in their house (deluxe again!) but they also offered to wash my clothes and took me to see the Castillo de los Mendoza, which looked really pretty being lit up at night!
Mental note to myself: try not to walk at around 3pm-being the hottest part of the day!View attachment 36420
Hi, Anastasia,

I've walked this Camino 3 years ago and were able to sleep in private (cheap) accommodation i Manzanares as I believe back then Ray y Rosa didn't offer it. This year @timr slept in their house and all we heard about that were praises. Next time on Madrid I will sure make my stay there happen. If not for the accommodation itself than for their web page:
http://www.rayyrosa.com/loscaminos
which has one of the most complete map of the Camino routes.

Our @AZgirl was in Penaflor de Hornija just yesterday. She reported that she had a "bubble" of 5 peregrinos at the start but by Penaflor she was alone. Enjoying the albergue for her own though.

Whichever you prefer I wish you a very nice Camino!!!

Ultreia!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Anastasia,

I've walked this Camino 3 years ago and were able to sleep in private (cheap) accommodation i Manzanares as I believe back then Ray y Rosa didn't offer it. This year @timr slept in their house and all we heard about that were praises. Next time on Madrid I will sure make my stay there happen. If not for the accommodation itself than for their web page:
http://www.rayyrosa.com/loscaminos
which has one of the most complete map of the Camino routes.

Our @AZgirl was in Penaflor de Hornija just yesterday. She reported that she had a "bubble" of 5 peregrinos at the start but by Penaflor she was alone. Enjoying the albergue for her own though.

Whichever you prefer I wish you a very nice Camino!!!

Ultreia!
Yes, I know, their website is great! And they also taught me how to use Wililoc, so I was able to follow their trail to get to La Granja de San Ildefonso! And I know exactly how many kms I walked, it's great

Day 3. Manzanares el Real To Cercedilla (19km)

I have started to enjoy walking on my own by now☺️. Even though it being a Sunday there were lots of cyclists speeding past me, it was still very peaceful.
This is an easy flat stage of the Camino with plenty of opportunities to stop for a snack/drink and refill water. I stopped for lunch on Navacerrada and called the municipal albergue from there (Polideportivo), but they did not pick up the phone, so I decided to book to stay for the night at Hostal Aribel Longinos. It is located near the centre of Cercedilla which had really nice private rooms and clean shared bathrooms.
Really nothing else to share except that I decided to split the next stage in two and stop st La Granja de San Ildefonso before coming to Segovila...Partly because I have blisters on every other toe now
F78841BE-2886-4467-A192-5872CC8F86F1.jpg

I have started to enjoy walking on my own by now☺️. Even though it being a Sunday there were lots of cyclists speeding past me, it was still very peaceful.
This is an easy flat stage of the Camino with plenty of opportunities to stop for a snack/drink and refill water. I stopped for lunch on Navacerrada and called the municipal albergue from there (Polideportivo), but they did not pick up the phone, so I decided to book to stay for the night at Hostal Aribel Longinos. It is located near the centre of Cercedilla which had really nice private rooms and clean shared bathrooms.
Really nothing else to share except that I decided to split the next stage in two and stop st La Granja de San Ildefonso before coming to Segovila...Partly because I have blisters on every other toe now
View attachment 36443
Thanks for the update. Am following your progress, in all sense of the word, with pleasure. Great photos. Buen camino, peregrina.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

View attachment 36443
It doesn't surprise me that nobody answered your call for albergue on Sunday. Even if it would be late afternoon ayuntamiento wouldn't respond. But if you have the phone number of the polideportivo than the janitor would answered. This albergue is in one of the first buildings on the left as you enter Cercedilla and is just that - polideportivo. The janitor is in the office right at the entrance and he sign you in and show you to your "room" on the first floor, which is a small gym with rubber mats. That's it. And in the evening when the ladies are training yoga, pilates etc. you are asked to leave the gym. Janitor forgot to tell me that and I spread my belongings all over the place. When I returned from the supermercado late afternoon I walked into a gym full of sweaty ladies of all ages. Quite an embarrassing moment for all. But when leaving polideportivo half an hour later they were laughing and winking at me :D

It doesn't surprise me that nobody answered your call for albergue on Sunday. Even if it would be late afternoon ayuntamiento wouldn't respond. But if you have the phone number of the polideportivo than the janitor would answered. This albergue is in one of the first buildings on the left as you enter Cercedilla and is just that - polideportivo. The janitor is in the office right at the entrance and he sign you in and show you to your "room" on the first floor, which is a small gym with rubber mats. That's it. And in the evening when the ladies are training yoga, pilates etc. you are asked to leave the gym. Janitor forgot to tell me that and I spread my belongings all over the place. When I returned from the supermercado late afternoon I walked into a gym full of sweaty ladies of all ages. Quite an embarrassing moment for all. But when leaving polideportivo half an hour later they were laughing and winking at me :D
Haha, this is great. Pity I didn't get there, as I might have joined the ladies. I have been trying to do my own version of yoga/Pilates stretches to aid my sore muscles

Hi, Nastucha, I am not sure how I missed this thread! I would have jumped in days ago to echo the good wishes here. I am so glad to see that you are feeling confident and enjoying this solitary walk. It's a perfect camino in so many ways -- not much asphalt, lots of rural walking on farm tracks, some interesting little towns and the people are great!

I also slept in the Aribel Longinos, it is a pretty historic place as I remember.

Hope you enjoy the walk. La Granja is a beautiful place, and the albergue there gets really good reviews, I believe. It hadn't yet opened when I walked so I never took that detour, just plodded on to Segovia. Ah, Segovia -- so many lovely places in your future! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Day 4&5. Cercedilla-La Granja de San Ildefonso (26.8km)-Segovila(12.8km)

I have been told that this might be the toughest stage of CdM, because of elevation and distance, so I decided to split it and spend more time in Segovia. It was a perfect day for walking from Cercedilla, Plenty of shade to shelter oneself from the sun, clear skies and beautiful views all around. Upon exiting La Granja, I started following the green dots and metal sights "Via XXIV" for "la Calzada Romana" up to the highest point of the mountain (Puerto de la Fuenfría) as advised in the tourist information travel booth.
I really-really enjoyed the walk. My thoughts were calm up until one encounter. I met two middle aged male walkers and after telling them that I was walking alone they recommended that I should be carrying a pepper spray with me for self defence...I mean, this was really thoughtful of them, but it made me worry. Maybe I am being careless and not taking enough precaution?! Everything I read about the Camino so far has made it sound as if it was quite safe, but maybe you can never be too careful ...If anyone has any thoughts in this I would appreciate your feedback.
On the brighter note, I have finally met some fellow pilgrims (a group of 5, WoW). They have arrived in Hostal Camino de Lis shortly after me. They shared a nice meal of pasta with me and I was glad for the possibility of having someone else to walk with in the coming stages.B8C95BAF-4B11-4DD1-83BF-BBF965CA4FA1.jpg

On the way to Segovila I have diviated from the group and went by the route mapped on rayyrosa website. According to my new friends the direct way took 10kms, while I walked a bit more but it was very picturesque across the dam and next to a little river.
The day in Segovia was really nice, but hardly a break, as I was running around visiting museums and looking at the sights...887A7E48-0510-4199-AED8-E4055F0439B8.jpg

Tomorrow the plan is for all 6 of us to walk to Añe and stay in an albergue there. The only thing is that being so excited about Segovia's attractions, I have missed the supermarket closing time, so I have snacks, but no real food for tomorrow...should hopefully work something out on the way☺️

Day 4&5. Cercedilla-La Granja de San Ildefonso (26.8km)-Segovila(12.8km)

I have been told that this might be the toughest stage of CdM, because of elevation and distance, so I decided to split it and spend more time in Segovia. It was a perfect day for walking from Cercedilla, Plenty of shade to shelter oneself from the sun, clear skies and beautiful views all around. Upon exiting La Granja, I started following the green dots and metal sights "Via XXIV" for "la Calzada Romana" up to the highest point of the mountain (Puerto de la Fuenfría) as advised in the tourist information travel booth.
I really-really enjoyed the walk. My thoughts were calm up until one encounter. I met two middle aged male walkers and after telling them that I was walking alone they recommended that I should be carrying a pepper spray with me for self defence...I mean, this was really thoughtful of them, but it made me worry. Maybe I am being careless and not taking enough precaution?! Everything I read about the Camino so far has made it sound as if it was quite safe, but maybe you can never be too careful ...If anyone has any thoughts in this I would appreciate your feedback.
On the brighter note, I have finally met some fellow pilgrims (a group of 5, WoW). They have arrived in Hostal Camino de Lis shortly after me. They shared a nice meal of pasta with me and I was glad for the possibility of having someone else to walk with in the coming stages.View attachment 36481

On the way to Segovila I have diviated from the group and went by the route mapped on rayyrosa website. According to my new friends the direct way took 10kms, while I walked a bit more but it was very picturesque across the dam and next to a little river.
The day in Segovia was really nice, but hardly a break, as I was running around visiting museums and looking at the sights...View attachment 36482

Tomorrow the plan is for all 6 of us to walk to Añe and stay in an albergue there. The only thing is that being so excited about Segovia's attractions, I have missed the supermarket closing time, so I have snacks, but no real food for tomorrow...should hopefully work something out on the way☺️
Hey, Anastasia,

Please don't get worried about walking alone. Yes, of course it can happen, but the people on CdM can only be beaten in their kindness to those on Invierno! It's nice that you have company though.

I don't know where are you staying this night but there are stores (small shops) both in Zamarramala and Valseca (reportedly also in Los Huertos although I wasn't looking for one in 2014). In Zamarramala it's almost on Camino (main square to the right) and in Valseca when you cross the main road turn right and across from Farmacia there is Panaderia/tienda on the lefthand side.

Ultreia!

Thank you so much for the advise KinkyOne!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much for the advise KinkyOne!

Totally agree with Kinky. I walked the Camino de Madrid alone as a 60 something woman and never had an issue of any sort. It may have been the first time I slept alone in an albergue (and it was the 4**** albergue in Castromonte), and though that was a little creepy at the beginning, by the end of the Camino de Madrid I was totally fine with the solitary setup. I did scream once when a cyclist entered an albergue close to midnight when I was the only one there, but it turns out he was more embarrassed than I because he had gotten the key from the police and they had told him there was no one there.

Hope the weather is treating you well, Nastucha! Enjoy. Buen camino, Laurie

Day 6&7. Segovia-Añe(21km)-Nava de la Asunción(24km)

I took it easy with smaller stages for the last 2 days walking with another 2 fellow pilgrims. We had beautiful views of Alcazar while exiting the city and then it was fields, fields and yet more fields to come...Even though it is the end of September now, it is getting really hot in the afternoon(1-4pm) with no shade to hide during the walk, it can be exhausting. Passing through Zamarramala, we went by a small shop that sold fruit and veg, then Los Huertos there was more fruit and veg, but the bar was temporarily closed-bad luck, we were told! So upon arriving to Añe and finding that the shop is yet again closed(we were told that he bar is only open on weekends), we were considering on continuing to the next town, but decided against it as it was really tiring to walk in the heat. We knocked on a door with "refugio" sign and got the keys for the albergue. The place was clean with a shower and little electric stove. You should be prepared and come with your own food for dinner! Upon asking some locals whether we can buy anything to eat, we were given some tomatoes and bread Very nice of them!8751922A-3502-481C-92AB-1C6B307C5B30.jpg

The next day to Nava de Nava de la Asunción was more pleasant with more shaded forest. The albergue is a little room with a facilities and basic kitchen on a local football field. Very cute to see kids playing there, and turning around and asking "and why are you here??"
Tomorrow we are planning an even smaller stage to Coca, were we will explore the castle and meet up with some other fellow pilgrims

...So upon arriving to Añe and finding that the shop is yet again closed(we were told that he bar is only open on weekends), we were considering on continuing to the next town, but decided against it as it was really tiring to walk in the heat. We knocked on a door with "refugio" sign and got the keys for the albergue. The place was clean with a shower and little electric stove. You should be prepared and come with your own food for dinner! Upon asking some locals whether we can buy anything to eat, we were given some tomatoes and bread Very nice of them!...
So you are saying that there IS a shop in Ane??? That's a news!!! I can hardly believe that. And if it was closed usually in such small places they open if you ring a bell. Are you sure?

Same happened to me when asking about the bar and a nice lady next door gave me some bread and wine for a bargain.

Ultreia!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So you are saying that there IS a shop in Ane??? That's a news!!! I can hardly believe that. And if it was closed usually in such small places they open if you ring a bell. Are you sure?

Same happened to me when asking about the bar and a nice lady next door gave me some bread and wine for a bargain.

Ultreia!
Well, I might be mistaken, but they said that on weekends you can buy food somewhere in Añe...perhaps more like a market, I'm not sure

Ultreia!
And also, it looked like everyone in Añe took a sobriety vows, as no one had any wine when we asked if we could perhaps buy some wine from them...Urelia, you might have found the very last drinking person in Añe

And also, it looked like everyone in Añe took a sobriety vows, as no one had any wine when we asked if we could perhaps buy some wine from them...Urelia, you might have found the very last drinking person in Añe
??? That's very strange :)
I bought it from the woman that lives literary in front of the Centro Social (which was closed of course)...

By shop maybe they meant the van that comes to the village every day. When I was leaving Ane I saw it but usually that's their working hours, the morning.

Hope you enjoy it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 8 & 9. Nava de la Asucíon-Coca(10km)-Alcazarén(24.6km)

On the first stage from Nava we walked only 9 km to Coca. Thus was partly because my fellow pilgrims wanted to meet their friend who missed the last 2 days due to an injury ahd I was also happy to test my legs. We had a late start (about 9:30am) and a lazy walk , so we reached our destination just before middday. The albergue was really nice and comfortable. There were no other pilgrims that we had share the albergue with (speaking about "deluxe" accomodation again), although there was some talk of someone coming on a horse...probably a joke.
Coca castle was nice, but I couldn't find much information about it availible in English, so my visit lasted for about 15 minutes. There was also a St Nicolas tower, which has, apparently great views over the valley, but it wasn't open during our visit.
On the next day, most of the walk to Alcazarén was very pleasant with pine wood forest providing a bit of shade I the afternoon. The weather has been very nice so far. If only a little hot sometimes, but nothing much to complain about. 2 of the ladies from the group decided to take a taxi to the next town. This was lucky for us, as they were able to get some provisions in the supermarket (on Saturday it closed at 2 pm and did not reopen in the adternoon). This is, I think, one of the disadvantages of walking in autumn: due to shorter days, you are unable to reach some places before they close for siesta, and on the weekends this might be an issue...
There was much talk of breathing techniques for walking at dinner last night and someone came up with an "Afghan breathing" that involves taking one breath in for 3 steps holding for 1 and breathing out for another 3...Ot will be put to a test today
It's a nice cool morning and we are off to Puente Duero now!

Wow, it's been 3 days and I haven't written anything...I was keeping busy enjoying my Camino ☺️ I guess. Good weather (13 days of sun, fingers crossed that it will continue this way), good food/wine and I even got to dance a bit of Spanish posadoble.
I will try to give a brief summary of the last 3 days:

Day 10. Alcazarén-Puente Duero (24.9km).
The walk was a little uneventful, a nice pine forest for the first 15 km to a much needed coffee in Valdestillas and then nit so nice 10 km along the side of a road to Puente Duero. The albergue was great! And so was out hospitalero Arturo! He was very talkative and full of good humour. We phoned in advance and he met us with some home cooked tortilla, fresh bread and wine, what more could you want after a tiring walk!! There was a sudden bubble of pilgrims and the place was full, all 8 beds that is (this is a first on my Camino!). There was 5 of us + one Italian pilgrim walking the CdM in reverse and a pilgrim from Korea who spoke no English or Spanish and was walking close to 40 km every day! We all shared a dinner that was prepared by Arturo, which cost 10€ p/p, but he emphasised numerous times that he is not running a business and we had no obligation to stay for dinner. Overall very enjoyable!343807D4-F482-4505-B0DC-859DC1464E25.jpg

Last edited:
Day 11. Puente Duero-Peñaflor de Hornija (28.1km)
This was a very nice stage, if only s little hot! I like it when you can stop and visit many little towns on the way and thus stage had a town about every 7 km. I was really looking forward to visiting a church of Santa Maria in Wamba and I was told that it is closed on weekdays, but there is a number in the door, and if you call it and ask nicely, perhaps a lady might open the door and let you have a look (I was also told the same thing at a local bar)...BUT, when we reached the church, there was no number on the door !! So we kept going...
You can see Peñaflor de Hornija from a long way away, but upon coming closer you realise that you need to descend into a ravine and then climb up again to get into the city, and on a hot day, this is a mega challenge. The albergue was great. Only 3€ and it had everything including washing mashine (and some washing powder included!!). After having shower and relaxing a bit, I went into a little courtyard and heard music! I followed the sound, and there it was, a small procession of musicians and some locals all swamping into a bar. Just 1 hour later, I have found them in the other bar (there are only 2 bars in the village, I think). I asked what was the fiesta and got told that it was something about "Rosario"...mbah...but it was fun and I got invited to dance Spanish pasodoble . I love music and dancing, so it was super exciting to see this little fiesta! And what beautiful views did Peñaflor have to offer, it is my favourite place so far in the Camino!!!!F05D33BF-D153-42F4-9A3F-8452130C8070.jpg

Day 12. Peñaflor de Hornija -Medina de Rioseco (24.1km)
There was a beautiful bit of fog hanging over the field as we descended from the town that morning. Shortly after that we encountered a shepherd with sheep and a donkey☺️, and the donkey has followed us on the path for a little bit as we went on. Then there was a pig farm with cute little piglets running around the place and I spotted a poster advertising something called "Museo de las piedras imaginarias"...I thought of imaginary stonesI was very curious, but we decided to keep going as the day was getting increasingly hot...I wonder, has anyone been there?
At Medina de Rioseco, we stayed at the convent (municipal albergue). Really nice! Great facilities with 2 showers and 2 toilets and clean sheets provided! I made some meatballs with pasta and tomatoe sauce and the nuns gave us some delicious organic tomatoes from their garden, Yumm!B0A05B39-93BB-4185-A8A3-0663FC997A46.jpg

Day 13. Medina de Rioseco-Cuenca de Campos(22.9km)
We had a very pleasant walk by the side of the canal for almost the whole 10 kms to Tamariz. We stopped to ask some locals about a "friendly bar", as it was described in my guide, and were informed that the bar opens at 13:00...but once we sat down on some plastic chairs in the main plaza, a man appeared behind us and asked if we wanted coffee! The barman decided to open for a few minutes just for us. I didn't look inside the bar, but apparently our coffee was pre made and stored in plastic bottle, and then subsequently warmed up in a microwave...all the same, we were grateful for it! The second stretch of the road to Cuenca was by the side of a paved road. It would have been a boring walk if it wasn't such a beautiful day with fields of golden colour spreading in every direction and bright blue skies. Even though my guide told me to go another 5 kms to Villalón de Campos, but I glad we followed the French guide and stayed at the beautiful and spacious former school. Let me just mention that there was a coffee machine in the kitchen!!!There was a charming bar in the plaza nearby, but we settled for pasta with anchovies and garlic in the albergue. And when we sat down to eat, we opened the window and Voila(haha, I've been hanging out with French people), the fool moon looked straight at us. Beautiful3D026061-84F3-4F8E-A0AB-76AEFA75CB5A.jpg

Just came across your posts this evening. Having some Camino blues after having just recently finished a section myself. Felt like I was walking along the way trading your posts, really put me back to those wonderful Camino days. Thank you.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.