A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

steveNY

Camino(s) past & future
plan to walk Nov (2016)
I made the leap, bought the tickets, and now I'm ready to do my Camino. I leave from NY May 20th and will start on the 22nd from St. Jean.

I'm as prepared as can be, but I didn't do no reservations at Albuge or others. Is that going to be a problem for me?

I'm prior service member so I done some long marches carrying heavy packs. So, I plan to define lightweight for my Camino :)

I also would like to spend as many nights sleeping outdoors. I plan to bring lightweight hammack. Any thoughts or advice on it? How are mosquitos this time of year along the way?

wanderfrau

Camino(s) past & future
May 2018
Hi Steve, it will be my first camino as well starting from SJPP on May 14th. I have been watching the weather and it can still get cold in the Pyrenees. Maybe not hammock weather unless you bring a quilt. From what I learned on the forum it seems advisable to make a reservation for Orisson if you stop there and Roncesvalles maybe even SJPP. Buen Camino.

Lucy Keenan

Camino(s) past & future
Northern Route - 2016
Santiago to Finestiere and Muxia - 2017
Frances Route - May 2018
Camino Ingles
I am on the Camino.
You definitely need a reservation for Orisson and I would advise you reserve Roncesvalles too.

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 will be Camino #14.
When I walked my first time, many years ago, I considered taking my Clark Jungle Hammock.
What I found was no place to hang in most villages and between. Few forests.
Depending on its weight, I'd leave it home. Plus the fact that wanderfrau mentioned - it is very cold right now. You'd definitely need an underquilt.

Regarding reservations, I would definitely make reservations in SJPP, Orisson, and Roncesvalles.

Camino(s) past & future
French way (June 2018) with Finisterra. Camino Dragonte being considered en route.
I am on the Camino.
You definitely need a reservation for Orisson and I would advise you reserve Roncesvalles too.
hi Lucy, I'm planning on getting to the Pilgrim Office in St Jean at opening time (or before, to queue) and heading out straight away. I'm a brisk up hill walker if I need to be and plan to be ahead-of-the-crowd en route to Roncesvalles. Would you say I would still need to reserve a place in Roncesvalles?

TomAptos

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016, Camino Portugues 2017, Via St Francis (Italy) 2018
I made the leap, bought the tickets, and now I'm ready to do my Camino. I leave from NY May 20th and will start on the 22nd from St. Jean.

I'm as prepared as can be, but I didn't do no reservations at Albuge or others. Is that going to be a problem for me?

I'm prior service member so I done some long marches carrying heavy packs. So, I plan to define lightweight for my Camino :)

I also would like to spend as many nights sleeping outdoors. I plan to bring lightweight hammack. Any thoughts or advice on it? How are mosquitos this time of year along the way?
Orisson is worth making a reservation. This was one of our best nights on the Camino and the steep climb out of St. Jean makes this a perfect (short) first day stop. At dinner all of the guests introduced themselves to the group. These were hikers we saw over and over for the next five weeks. Great evening.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 188 24.6%