• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first Camino

dreid88621

Time of past OR future Camino
Future 4/22/2022
I’m walking my first Camino solo beginning April 23rd. I’m excited and very nervous. I selected the Portuguese Coastal route because I live in a landlocked state and enjoy the thought of seeing the ocean while I walk. I booked all my accommodations ahead of my trip, so I’m not scrambling to find a place to stay after a long day of walking. Anyone walking the coastal route around this time? Any advice for a first-timer?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’m walking my first Camino solo beginning April 23rd. I’m excited and very nervous. I selected the Portuguese Coastal route because I live in a landlocked state and enjoy the thought of seeing the ocean while I walk. I booked all my accommodations ahead of my trip, so I’m not scrambling to find a place to stay after a long day of walking. Anyone walking the coastal route around this time? Any advice for a first-timer?
Buen Camino, @dreid88621!

Let us know how it goes!
Enjoy every minute of it.

All the best,
Paul

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have a great Camino. Booking ahead has some real advantages, as you say that detail is taken care of so you can take your time, absorb your surroundings, take it all in. Be kind, say hello to the locals, breath, walk with an open heart, take care of your feet, take pictures, look back to where you came from, take another picture. I'll stop now with all the advice. Bom Caminho.

A little taster for you. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

Attachments

• IMG_20170606_140241065_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170606_140241065_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20170607_134713701.jpg
    IMG_20170607_134713701.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20170604_093802822_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170604_093802822_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20170604_135441031_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170604_135441031_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20170604_101222174_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170604_101222174_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20170604_112638915_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170604_112638915_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Eat! As much as you can! We used so much energy as it was more challenging than we thought it would be. However, we were only on the coast for a bit before cutting over to Rates. The continuous hills continued to multiply- all the way up to Santiago! And, we are from Colorado- New Mexico. It surprised us.

You will enjoy. Make your own memories, this is special and I wish you fantastic experiences

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
HI
I have done 4 Caminos the last one being Camino da Costa in April 2019 and the next one being the last part of Camino Frances with my granddaughters next month. The costal route was the wettest Camino I have walked. When the storms come in off the Atlantic, they are biblical. However, on the good days it is beautiful. I always warn people to beware of Vigo because the signage both into and out of the city is poor. However, it is worth all the effort to see the old town and harbour.
Buen Camino
Vince

HI
I have done 4 Caminos the last one being Camino da Costa in April 2019 and the next one being the last part of Camino Frances with my granddaughters next month. The costal route was the wettest Camino I have walked. When the storms come in off the Atlantic, they are biblical. However, on the good days it is beautiful. I always warn people to beware of Vigo because the signage both into and out of the city is poor. However, it is worth all the effort to see the old town and harbour.
Buen Camino
Vince
I’m also doing the last part of Camino Frances at the end of May. As it will be on a Sunday there is limited bus times available to get to Sarria via Lugo. I’ve opted to book an Albergue close to the bus station in Santiago and make my way to Sarria the nest morning. Any better suggestions would be welcome.
Martin

I’m also doing the last part of Camino Frances at the end of May. As it will be on a Sunday there is limited bus times available to get to Sarria via Lugo. I’ve opted to book an Albergue close to the bus station in Santiago and make my way to Sarria the nest morning. Any better suggestions would be welcome.
Martin
Hi Martin
I am not able to offer a better solution. We will be arriving in Sarria by train from Madrid on Saturday 28th May and taking a taxi to Casa Morgade in order to start walking on Sunday 29th. My two granddaughters had my shells from my first two Caminos, met me in Santiago at the end of the second one and wanted to get their own shells. As they are only 9 and 7 my son-in-law and I will be taking them at 10k a day in the hope of arriving in Santiago by 7th June. We will be going fairly steadily so if you pass an old English man. a guy in his forties and two young girls do say Buen Camino as you pass.
Vince

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Martin
I am not able to offer a better solution. We will be arriving in Sarria by train from Madrid on Saturday 28th May and taking a taxi to Casa Morgade in order to start walking on Sunday 29th. My two granddaughters had my shells from my first two Caminos, met me in Santiago at the end of the second one and wanted to get their own shells. As they are only 9 and 7 my son-in-law and I will be taking them at 10k a day in the hope of arriving in Santiago by 7th June. We will be going fairly steadily so if you pass an old English man. a guy in his forties and two young girls do say Buen Camino as you pass.
Vince
Thank Vince
Buen Camino

Have a great Camino. Booking ahead has some real advantages, as you say that detail is taken care of so you can take your time, absorb your surroundings, take it all in. Be kind, say hello to the locals, breath, walk with an open heart, take care of your feet, take pictures, look back to where you came from, take another picture. I'll stop now with all the advice. Bom Caminho.
I love that advice 🙏

Martin

I am planning to arrive in Sarria on Sunday 29th May and to start walking on Monday. I’ll be driving from the North. Where are you travelling from?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am planning to arrive in Sarria on Sunday 29th May and to start walking on Monday. I’ll be driving from the North. Where are you travelling from?
I am arriving in Santiago Airport on 22nd May but thanks for letting me know as it would have been great to meet a fellow pilgrim at the start of the journey. Buen Camino.
M

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back