• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Hiking Shoe question

ElCee

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto Sept 2023
I've never owned a pair of hiking shoes. I've always just worn running shoes or even sandals in my younger days, and have only done day hikes. In preparation for my first camino in Sept. (Portuguese), I bought a pair of Oboz Sypes light waterproof trail shoes. They were on sale on line after Christmas and I was excited about the Camino and just did it. Stupid I know. I got waterproof because in Canada most of my hiking is in potentially wet conditions. We are blessed with a lot of water in Ontario! I wore them around the house for a days and they seemed fine. I've been wearing them for training walks for about 2 months, mostly on city streets, and they're still fine but I'm not in love with them. I've had no blisters or actual pain but my feet feel more tired than I think they should after a long walk and I've had some tenderness in the soles of my feet. At first, I just thought it was because they're heavier and stiffer than I'm used to, and these are light in comparison to other light hiking shoes, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I always feel a little dread before I put them on. Kind of a "Sigh. Time to strap on the old ball and chains." It's like wearing a stiff pair of jeans when you're used to leggings. I'm thinking about getting something else. Maybe something cushier and stretchier and not waterproof. I'll keep these for walking here at home.

So, first of all, is it normal for hiking shoes to not be as comfortable as running shoes? Are they just stiff and hard and I have to put up with that in exchange for stability or protection or relative comfort over day after day of long distances ... or something? Surely there's an advantage?

Also, I see lots of technical foot terms on these boards: zero drop, supination/pronation, etc. I am not aware of any foot issues and I've never been to a podiatrist. Other Oboz models have been mentioned as being zero drop. How do you know what kind of drop you need?

I do have slight supination but it has never been an issue to my knowledge. I don't think I have especially high arches or my ankles "roll". I do a lot of pilates and feel that my ankles and feet are quite strong. Could my supination become an issue after days of long walks on Camino? Should I choose a shoe that addresses it?

I do feel like my heels are a little loose in these shoes. The leather just doesn't hug the whole foot from every direction like my running shoes. My heels are a little narrow.

I went to MEC (sort of the Canadian REI) where I bought the Oboz's yesterday to try and get some advice. I met a charming guy who's doing the Portuguese Coastal in April and we had a wonderful chat but he wasn't much help with shoe advice other than to say come back in a month when all the new 2023 models are in. He didn't strike me as an expert. Any Ontarians have recs for a store with good shoe fitting advice?

Sorry, this has run on quite long! To be clear, I'm not thinking of walking in my current running shoes. I'd like advice on what good shoes should feel like and how to know if you have specific shoe requirements (zero drop, etc.). Everyone says try and see what works for you but I don't know what they should feel like out of the box and I can't afford another miss step. Thank you so much!

PS I don't know how to get this into the footwear subforum.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I always feel a little dread before I put them on. Kind of a "Sigh. Time to strap on the old ball and chains."
If you feel that way now they aren't going to get better on the Camino. I don't think that these are the shoes for you.

To be clear, I'm not thinking of walking in my current running shoes
They might be a better choice!

You should look for something that is as comfortable as your running shoes. And you don't need waterproof shoes - in fact they can be a problem because they can trap sweat inside and lead to blisters.

As someone who walks the Camino in hiking sandals, if say to look at that option too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Those are not the right shoes if they already bother you. You could actually just use running shoes if that's what feels good. There's no point on the Camino where you absolutely need a hiking boot or shoe, and running shoes are fine. You will basically walk about 8 - 10 km and then stop at a cafe, take your shoes off for a while and then walk another 8 - 10 km. You do this two or three times a day and if you wear running shoes or a light trail runner, you won't have any problems, blisters, etc... You see a lot of Altra Loan Peak shoes on the camino because they are foot shaped with a lot of room in the toes, but the heels stay snug. If you have any issues with your arches or anything like that, you can add an arch support liner. The Altras have the "zero drop" which means they are parallel to the ground, instead of having an elevated heel, but I prefer the Altra Olympus because the heel is thicker and absorbs the ground pounding better, so no bruised heels...and because they angle a bit, they help your foot roll forward a bit easier than the zero drop models. I will be wearing these on my Camino in May this year...

Here's a couple of links:

Ditch tbe boots! If you're cringing now, on the camino it will be way worse. If you have a running shoe model you know and love, you're already ahead of the game. (I walk very happily in sandals.)

First of all, shoes / boots must fit like a glove at first try, otherwise, keep on looking. Preferably try the biggest store in another town where they do not know you, if you are liable to be ashamed !!

Use a lot of time walking in any shoe, just to excercise your ankles, your muscles, expand your breathing.
Your feet will get tired and most hiking models have stiffer soles to strengthen your gait when you need support

see a podiatrist in case you need inlay soles

good luck

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wear the same brand and style of La Sportiva trail runners every day to work, to walk in, at the gym, and on the Camino. I have several pairs and I always have an new pair in the box in the closet. I am always afraid they will quit making this model. I've been wearing this model now for 6 years. I also have a pair of mid height-GTX La Sportiva boots that are made on the same last as my trail runners that I wear for snowshoeing, mountain hiking, and winter Caminos. Yes, you have to deal with a bunch of weird new colors each year, but I am no slave to fashion. When you the shoe find what works for you, stick with that it.

My husband is the same way with his New Balance trail runner shoes (don't remember the model), but they come in wide widths and he keeps a new pair in the closet just like I do in case they quit making that model before the next Camino. He does have a pair of GTX Lowa Renegades or winter snowshoeing, hiking, and winter Caminos, too.

Having a comfortable shoe with the right socks is probably the single most important thing for a Camino.

I wouldn't myself try to go zero drop until after the camino. A few videos that were pro zero drop even said it takes time to get used to them. I wouldn't want to be in a halfway state before a 800 km walk.

Running shoes should be okay but get trainers not a lightweight pair meant for running races.

I've run into pronation problems with new shoes and rigid insoles for high arches even after wearing them on training hikes for months. The walks never went more than halfway a normal camino's day walk and the longer training walks weren't on consecutive days. Also I wasn't walking on paved surfaces during training like I had to in Spain. After five days I was collapsing to the ground. I stiffened the arches with paper underneath and the problem disappeared. So do proper training to discover any supination problems.

Last edited:
Go with the shoes that you are most comfortable with for day hikes - whether ordinary runner, sandals, trail runners, etc. Test them with a couple of 15-20 walks (don't have to be "hikes") on consecutive days.
shoes / boots must fit like a glove at first try
I agree. With a new shoe model, I like to try it on in a slightly smaller size than I expect to buy, just to see if the shoe conforms really well to my foot. Then I try the half-size larger, and the next half-size until I get to the shoe that is really too large. Then I buy the biggest one that is still not "too big".

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wore Oboz Sawtooth when I walked Camino and I loved (and slightly hated them). They are very heavy, but have a very firm sole which is my generally my preference. I hate squishy, floofy soles. I did find them hot and towards the end of Camino when my feet were very swollen I would have to stop to take my shoes off for a few minutes to let my feet cool down. I had bought them a half size larger than I needed but probably should have gone up a full size.

If you don't like them now, you are going to hate them on Camino. Check MEC (online or instore) for other hiking shoes or trail runners. I think you can still test shoes at MEC for a couple of weeks and then return them if you don't like them.

I picked up a pair of Altras in January and am looking forward to the ice and snow to go away so I can see if they are the right shoe for me lol They are super light but I am concerned about the longevity of them.

I'm also doing Caminho Portugues in September and am counting down the days! Bom Caminho!

I wear the same brand and style of La Sportiva trail runners every day to work, to walk in, at the gym, and on the Camino.
Yes. IMO and based on personal experience, once you find a shoe that works for you don't stray! In 2021, after having completed the Norte and 1/2 way through the Frances I needed a new set of walking shoes. I went to El Corte Ingles in Leon and they had this really sharp looking pair from a brand I had never tried. I bought them and walked and for whatever reason I developed a hole, literally a bloody hole, on the back of my heal. It took like a month for it to heal. Never again will I stray,

So, first of all, is it normal for hiking shoes to not be as comfortable as running shoes? Are they just stiff and hard and I have to put up with that in exchange for stability or protection or relative comfort over day after day of long distances ... or something? Surely there's an advantage?
Hiking shoes are indeed more rigid. But there is a great compromise - TRAIL RUNNERS. The upper part of the shoe is similar to a gym shoe, but the bottom is designed for hiking.
Also, I see lots of technical foot terms on these boards: zero drop, supination/pronation, etc. I am not aware of any foot issues and I've never been to a podiatrist. Other Oboz models have been mentioned as being zero drop. How do you know what kind of drop you need?
Zero drop doesn't refer to your foot - it refers to how your foot sits in a shoe. Most shoes have the heel slightly more elevated than the toe. This is what most people are used to. Zero drop means the heel and the toe are at the same level... like they would be if you were barefoot walking. Supination/pronation/flat feet/high arches etc... only a podiatrist can really tell you. If you don't have foot problems, you likely don't see a podiatrist to get a diagnoses. Some people do have these problems that have never been diagnosed, but usually you have symptoms such as pain that lead you to go to a doctor.
I do have slight supination but it has never been an issue to my knowledge. I don't think I have especially high arches or my ankles "roll". I do a lot of pilates and feel that my ankles and feet are quite strong. Could my supination become an issue after days of long walks on Camino? Should I choose a shoe that addresses it?
Consult a podiatrist if you have any concerns. They can diagnose you and make shoe recommendations. They may suggest custom inserts/orthotics. They may not.
I do feel like my heels are a little loose in these shoes. The leather just doesn't hug the whole foot from every direction like my running shoes. My heels are a little narrow.
This is where a "foot shaped" shoe comes in handy. They have a narrow heel and a wider toe box. I love Altras, but they are one of those "zero drop" shoes we discussed. Take a little getting used to - but it is really like walking barefoot once you get used to them... in terms of foot positioning.
I went to MEC (sort of the Canadian REI) where I bought the Oboz's yesterday to try and get some advice. I met a charming guy who's doing the Portuguese Coastal in April and we had a wonderful chat but he wasn't much help with shoe advice other than to say come back in a month when all the new 2023 models are in. He didn't strike me as an expert. Any Ontarians have recs for a store with good shoe fitting advice?
Even in REI - they aren't experts. They learn on the job and some make great recommendations, others make terrible recommendations. Talk to them, try them out, but use the shoes that fit best for you ultimately. Nice thing about REI is their generous shoe return policy.
Sorry, this has run on quite long! To be clear, I'm not thinking of walking in my current running shoes. I'd like advice on what good shoes should feel like and how to know if you have specific shoe requirements (zero drop, etc.). Everyone says try and see what works for you but I don't know what they should feel like out of the box and I can't afford another miss step. Thank you so much!
Try not to overthink it... try several pairs of shoes, and again... I recommend trail runners. But find the pair that fits your feet the best. Then start hiking in them - long distances as much as possible. A good trail runner should not need to be broken in (certainly not for a long period of time) to be comfortable. You may have to invest in several different shoes to find the perfect fit.

But just as important as the shoe - you need to find the right sock combination to go with them. I am in the "Injinji toe socks with a cushioned Merion Wool sock combined" group... I won't hike without both of these anymore. But just because it works for me - doesn't mean they are best for you. The reason I am brining it up now is because when you try shoes on at the store - you should be already wearing your hiking sock(s) that you will wear on the trail. My double socks take up some space, so I size up my shoe to fit my socks and a little more for any potential swelling. I end up buying 1 to 1.5 sizes bigger than all of my other shoes for my hiking shoes. My daughter only sizes up 1 size and she wears the same socks and altra sheos that I do (just different size). Some people don't size up and are fine - but for many people that would lead to blisters.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yep, i like the Injini and I like the "Darn Tough" brand of wool socks. The cool thing about those Darn Toughs is that you can send them back and get a free replacement when they get holes or fail. (at least in USA).
yep - Darn tough is my "go to" merino wool sock, but I do wear the Injinji brand too for the outer merino wool sock and like them enough. They don't have the great replacement policy though.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hiking shoes are indeed more rigid. But there is a great compromise - TRAIL RUNNERS. The upper part of the shoe is similar to a gym shoe, but the bottom is designed for hiking.

Zero drop doesn't refer to your foot - it refers to how your foot sits in a shoe. Most shoes have the heel slightly more elevated than the toe. This is what most people are used to. Zero drop means the heel and the toe are at the same level... like they would be if you were barefoot walking. Supination/pronation/flat feet/high arches etc... only a podiatrist can really tell you. If you don't have foot problems, you likely don't see a podiatrist to get a diagnoses. Some people do have these problems that have never been diagnosed, but usually you have symptoms such as pain that lead you to go to a doctor.

Consult a podiatrist if you have any concerns. They can diagnose you and make shoe recommendations. They may suggest custom inserts/orthotics. They may not.

This is where a "foot shaped" shoe comes in handy. They have a narrow heel and a wider toe box. I love Altras, but they are one of those "zero drop" shoes we discussed. Take a little getting used to - but it is really like walking barefoot once you get used to them... in terms of foot positioning.

Even in REI - they aren't experts. They learn on the job and some make great recommendations, others make terrible recommendations. Talk to them, try them out, but use the shoes that fit best for you ultimately. Nice thing about REI is their generous shoe return policy.

Try not to overthink it... try several pairs of shoes, and again... I recommend trail runners. But find the pair that fits your feet the best. Then start hiking in them - long distances as much as possible. A good trail runner should not need to be broken in (certainly not for a long period of time) to be comfortable. You may have to invest in several different shoes to find the perfect fit.

But just as important as the shoe - you need to find the right sock combination to go with them. I am in the "Injinji toe socks with a cushioned Merion Wool sock combined" group... I won't hike without both of these anymore. But just because it works for me - doesn't mean they are best for you. The reason I am brining it up now is because when you try shoes on at the store - you should be already wearing your hiking sock(s) that you will wear on the trail. My double socks take up some space, so I size up my shoe to fit my socks and a little more for any potential swelling. I end up buying 1 to 1.5 sizes bigger than all of my other shoes for my hiking shoes. My daughter only sizes up 1 size and she wears the same socks and altra sheos that I do (just different size). Some people don't size up and are fine - but for many people that would lead to blisters.
Thank you so much for this thorough response !

I've never owned a pair of hiking shoes. I've always just worn running shoes or even sandals in my younger days, and have only done day hikes. In preparation for my first camino in Sept. (Portuguese), I bought a pair of Oboz Sypes light waterproof trail shoes. They were on sale on line after Christmas and I was excited about the Camino and just did it. Stupid I know. I got waterproof because in Canada most of my hiking is in potentially wet conditions. We are blessed with a lot of water in Ontario! I wore them around the house for a days and they seemed fine. I've been wearing them for training walks for about 2 months, mostly on city streets, and they're still fine but I'm not in love with them. I've had no blisters or actual pain but my feet feel more tired than I think they should after a long walk and I've had some tenderness in the soles of my feet. At first, I just thought it was because they're heavier and stiffer than I'm used to, and these are light in comparison to other light hiking shoes, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I always feel a little dread before I put them on. Kind of a "Sigh. Time to strap on the old ball and chains." It's like wearing a stiff pair of jeans when you're used to leggings. I'm thinking about getting something else. Maybe something cushier and stretchier and not waterproof. I'll keep these for walking here at home.

I also have a slightly narrow foot and have found Salomon trail runners work well for me with Wright socks, no blisters. MEC has the socks but I find SAIL has a better selection of shoes. I have walked numerous Caminos including the Portuguese twice from Lisbon and they were perfect every time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Shoes are the single most important piece of equipment, according to me. I tried at least six different shoes and ended up with Altra lone peak. They have a wide toe box which is crucial. I still lost a toenail even with extra wool padding. My socks were smart wool, also after trialing multiple brands. I, also would not recommend a waterproof shoe. your feet need to breathe. Finding the right shoe can be an arduous and expensive task but you will not be disappointed once you have done your research and found the right shoes. And do not buy online, go to the store (for me it was REI). One more thing, you should never have to “break in“ your shoes, you should just have to get used to them with the socks you will be wearing. One last thing, try to alter your terrain. You will have lots of terrain changes and your shoes should be comfortable no matter where you are walking. I guess just one more thing. I found that walking sticks helped my feet, acted as propellers for the up slope and brakes for the down.

Buen Camino

I also have a slightly narrow foot and have found Salomon trail runners work well for me with Wright socks, no blisters. MEC has the socks but I find SAIL has a better selection of shoes. I have walked numerous Caminos including the Portuguese twice from Lisbon and they were perfect every time.
That’s interesting ! I’ve never been to a SAIL store. I’ll check it out. Thanks

I had Oboz three years ago as I was getting ready for the Camino. I thought they fit pretty well and were comfortable due how they conformed to my feet but stiff. I got a second pair because I needed a half size bigger but still not quite satisfied. Then 2 years ago as I got ready for my delayed Camino, I bought some Salomon trail runners and used them for a fairly wet Del Norte Camino (600 plus miles). I did have some back pains, I felt was due to the drop. Other than the first day from Irun on the Norte where my feet were soaked. I think the breathability of those initial salomons kept me from having any blister issues.
Last summer I bought some more Salomons (online) that I didn't realize were Gortex. I kept them because they were comfortable and I like the flexibility in the shoe, not stiff like the Oboz. I did encounter a wet hike that the shoes actually didn't keep my feet dry. I feel that the gortex keeps my feet a little sweaty so a little leary of wearing them on my next month Camino so I recently got some other Salomon. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the same trail runners, I got the "hypulse", seems more like a running shoe. I have high arches and these don't seem to have the same arch support but still comfortable.

Bottom line, I like the Salomon brand, comfortable and surprisingly, for what I feel is a thin sole. They last long. My back pains due to the shoe drops got better over time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

So we went last summer and stressed for months about what footwear we would use. In the end, my son and I each packed a pair of waterproof hiking shoes, sandals and road running shoes. We wore the hiking shoes only 4 times and regretted buying waterproof- way too hot. Our running shoes were more than sufficient for the rest, not a blister. Sandals in the evening after a shower. Hiking shoes will never be as comfortable as running shoes. I won't take them next time.

I've never owned a pair of hiking shoes. I've always just worn running shoes or even sandals in my younger days, and have only done day hikes.

I
If your running shoes work for you, they will be fine. My photo shows me wearing the running shoes I walked in 2018. I now wear sandals, but whatever your feet are comfortable in are the best for you.
Remember this isnt a wilderness trail. I look for comfort and cushioning.

I wore Oboz Sawtooth when I walked Camino and I loved (and slightly hated them). They are very heavy, but have a very firm sole which is my generally my preference. I hate squishy, floofy soles. I did find them hot and towards the end of Camino when my feet were very swollen I would have to stop to take my shoes off for a few minutes to let my feet cool down. I had bought them a half size larger than I needed but probably should have gone up a full size.

If you don't like them now, you are going to hate them on Camino. Check MEC (online or instore) for other hiking shoes or trail runners. I think you can still test shoes at MEC for a couple of weeks and then return them if you don't like them.

I picked up a pair of Altras in January and am looking forward to the ice and snow to go away so I can see if they are the right shoe for me lol They are super light but I am concerned about the longevity of them.

I'm also doing Caminho Portugues in September and am counting down the days! Bom Caminho!
My husband wore Altra Lone Peaks for 900+ miles from Le Puy to Santiago with no problems. I wore them for 300 miles with no problems. The longevity is great!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Find a trail runner that fits well and has some room. try on as many as you can.

zero drop didn't work for me. had an injury that is now healed, I stick to a trail runner with a drop.

last two Camino's I used Brooks Cascadia 16 2E wide, and La Sportiva Wildcat that had enough toe box room. I like the Currex insoles.

I ordered a pair of the new New Balance More Trail V3 in wide to see, hope I get to try before I depart about March 20th.

At the New Balance store the gentleman helping me said "You need to be able to play the piano with your toes" that stuck with me.

At the New Balance store the gentleman helping me said "You need to be able to play the piano with your toes" that stuck with me.
Made me laugh - I cant even even play the piano with my fingers!

Just one word MERRELL

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all so much for the replies!

I pulled out my runners for a closer look. I bought them many years ago but only started wearing them regularly in the last 2 years. And last summer I really noticed how much better I felt after wearing them on long walks in comparison to any of my other shoes - runners, sandals, boots, etc. I'm embarrassed to admit that I bought these based on looks alone. I got them just as city walking shoes. So, I'm even more embarrassed to find out that not only are they called Adidas Kanadia (I'm Canadian), they're trail runners! Adidas don't make a Kanadia anymore but they have a new model that looks very similar (even the colour) so I'll look for these locally and try them on. Mine have tons of room around my toes but I wasn't wearing wool socks so I will need to go up in size. It'll be snow and slush moving into mud around here for the next few months and these would leak like a sieve so I'll wait to buy a new pair. I will suffer the Oboz's in the mean time for the waterproofing.

I feel pretty silly that my perfect Camino shoe was right under my nose the whole time. I thought they were jogging shoes so I didn't think they were suited for repeated days of long distances but now that I know they are trail runners I feel more confident. Super happy with this outcome! Again, thanks so much for all the input!

You can buy merino socks in a range of thicknesses. I wear lightweight merino and they are no thicker than my normal cotton socks so doesn’t impact boot/shoe size.
Yes, good point! My current merino socks are really too thick for Portugal but the summer weight ones should start showing up in stores soon. I will buy a new pair of shoes just to get maximum cush. My old ones have compressed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I strongly recommend these:

I walked my first camino last Sep-Oct and brought my trusted Hanwag hiking boots.

But 3 days before I was going to start my camino, my boots fell apart when I was doing some small hike near Barcelona. It was a mad scramble googling for stores in Barcelona and which shoes to get! Went to the Vertic store and told the salesperson that I needed wide shoes (I have bad bunions) and I belong to the "waterproof shoes camp" (simply hate walking in squishy soaked shoes).

There were only 2 pairs that fit my requirements and had my size...I've never heard of Salewa before because they are not available in my country but I chose them simply because they felt abit more comfortable than the other pair. I was a bit hesitant because I've never hiked in trail runners but I didn't have much choice :)

Wow....they are the best hiking shoes I've ever had/worn.

One - my bunions didn't hurt at all, which was what I was most worried about because most shoes (even trainers) tend to hurt them.

Two - zero blisters! and I tend to get blisters easily. I wore them with my Merino socks btw.

The cushioning is fantastic - often my feet hurt when I had to walk on paved roads after walking on a trail for awhile but these no...

The only tiny negative thing is that the shoelaces get undone easily but totally resolved by double-knotting and tucking the laces under.

And the waterproofing is good - I walked in the rain for almost the entire way (for 2-3 days) and my feet were dry. And they didn't take very long to dry.

This is all good conversation and many solid opinions! I walked from Leon to Santiago back in 2014. I'm getting ready in April to walk from Lisbon to Porto to Santiago for my second Camino. Back in 2014 I wore Merrell ankle high boots which were exactly my size at 10...they did not work, I had many blisters and both my big toe nails turned black and eventually fell off. When I returned home I immediately threw then away :) I then went out and purchased Salomon ankle high GTX a whole size larger at 11s. They have been great for short hikes, visiting snow, etc. but nothing long as what I'm starting in April. As I started my training for this walk, I wore the Salomons. Unfortunately, they are too big and break on the top of my foot causing pain and blisters. I determined they were just too big.

Based on this column and opinions provided, I have been through at least 5-6 different shoes zeroing in on "trail runner" style including Oboz, Altra Lone Peak, Hokas, and Allbirds Trail Runners. My go to shoe right now is the Altra Lone Peak but the Allbirds seems to hang in there as I did 17 miles in them today walking on mostly flat ground (I live in Florida and not too many hills). All the new shoes I've tried are now 1/2 size bigger than my normal size 10 except the Allbirds Trail Runner SWT and they are a 10.

The question - Has anyone brought an extra pair of shoes with them meaning two pairs of real hiking shoes. I've thought about wearing Allbirds for first 7-8 miles then switch to Altra Lone Peaks which are 1/2 size larger and have a bigger toe box once the foot spreads. I understand there is a weight issue but feet being comfortable is the most important concern. Thoughts?

Camino Portuguese is like 75% improved surfaces. You will not want rough hiking boots for long distances there. Trail runners or even sneakers that are mainly meant for pavements will be much better. Since you start in September, then you will have finished before the big rain month of October strikes. Aim for shoes that breathe well and are comfortable to wear.

From socks either light or medium cushioning merino wool will do wonders. Take 3 pairs with you so you can switch the pair you are using in the middle of the day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just putting my two cents in. I'm planning on wearing my LA Sportiva gore-tex hiking boots. They fit me so well and I even wear them doing ten mile hikes where I live in hot Hawaii....so, maybe not the norm, but it works for me.

Just putting my two cents in. I'm planning on wearing my LA Sportiva gore-tex hiking boots. They fit me so well and I even wear them doing ten mile hikes where I live in hot Hawaii....so, maybe not the norm, but it works for me.
I have a pair which I love for winter caminos and hiking in the mountains where I live, but they are too hot and heavy in the summer especially on paved surfaces (which there is quite a lot of on the CF.?

I have a pair which I love for winter caminos and hiking in the mountains where I live, but they are too hot and heavy in the summer especially on paved surfaces (which there is quite a lot of on the CF.?
I do understand that, a risk I'll take...but I do hike with them all the time in Hawaii. I have never come across a pair that never gave me a problem.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Portuguese is like 75% improved surfaces. You will not want rough hiking boots for long distances there. Trail runners or even sneakers that are mainly meant for pavements will be much better. Since you start in September, then you will have finished before the big rain month of October strikes. Aim for shoes that breathe well and are comfortable to wear.

From socks either light or medium cushioning merino wool will do wonders. Take 3 pairs with you so you can switch the pair you are using in the middle of the day.
Yes, pavement is killer. I did my first big training walk yesterday. I wore my old Adidas trail runners because the waterproof Oboz are already too hot (I'm in Ontario, Canada and it's very early spring). I tried to do a somewhat normal Camino day: 1 hour before breakfast, 2 hours then lunch, 1.5 hours home. 22K total. 3/4 of the walk was on pavement. I walked through a park in the middle and walking on the grass was absolute heaven :) I don't have a pack yet so I wasn't carrying any extra weight. The soles of my feet were already pretty sore by breakfast. It didn't really get any worse but it was not pleasant. Hips and knees were fine though and I don't feel too bad this morning. I didn't have a plantar fasciitis kind of morning which I have had after some shorter walks.
So I'm hoping the sore feet are due to these shoes being old. I'd like to get most of the day done before my feet get sore. It's hard to get lost in your own thoughts when your feet are nagging at you. I do find my feet get hot in these wool socks. It was a warm spring day (20Celsius) and I was wearing the medium weight ones. I have a lighter and shorter pair that I'll try next time. I took my shoes off and let my feet dry out twice during the day and that felt great.
So, I'm off shoe shopping today. Thank you all for the advice!

Hi,
As you are talking about books, I am looking for an opinion on my hiking boots. I hike and backpack and wear heavy leather boots which cover the ankles. I will be hiking the Carros de Foc in the Pyrenees before I head to Pamplona to start the camino, so I will be needing the heavier hiking boots. I haven't read much about the trail, but I feel that is more of a gravel road and thinking the heavy leather hiking boots will be too much. I like the support of the boots with a heavier pack, but certainly not expecting to carry as much. Thoughts?

Camino Portuguese is like 75% improved surfaces. You will not want rough hiking boots for long distances there.
Although a good proportion of the ‘improved surfaces’ are cobbles. I’m a committed ‘lightweight leather boot wearer’ - pretty much constantly at home as well as on Camino; and my ‘trail runner curiosity’ disappeared after the Portuguese.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Although a good proportion of the ‘improved surfaces’ are cobbles. I’m a committed ‘lightweight leather boot wearer’ - pretty much constantly at home as well as on Camino; and my ‘trail runner curiosity’ disappeared after the Portuguese.
The Norte has also a lot of improved surfaces. Will be doing it in 2 weeks with road to trail version of trailrunners. So almost like sneakers. I love that they have cushioning for nerves, while having a flat base. I find a trail pattern under the shoe becoming quite stressful for the nerves under the feet on a long hike on asphalt. Something like this should also be ideal for a trail like Portuguese:
https://www.altrarunning.eu/eu/torin-6-man-al0a7r6t231.html

Can you share a link of what you mean by a lightweight leather boot you use for hiking? Would be interesting to see what people use as alternative shoe options.

Love the Altra Torin but since these are really running shoes I’m opting for something different for my CF this fall. But I agree these shoes have just enough cushion without feeling unstable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree that on CF or VdlP you would want something with a little bit more "teeth" than road to trail shoes.

I did CF with Brooks Cascadias. The rock plate protection was amazing on mountain days. Most of the time on CF its all about gravel and dust roads. There the grip was excellent.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.