• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first packing list for a decade and not pleased ....

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all. Background - a couple of years ago I had my second groin hernia operation and afterwards the people came to me and asked about my activities (as it was both sides now), I explained about my first aid Camino mission and they thought a backpack was ok and I then explained about my hip-belt attached trailer and no pack and they told me that perhaps the first aid was over for me now and I should go back just wearing a light pack, without the trailer. So I sold the trailer and the plague came - but you can't keep an old dog down so designed and built another trailer during lockdown, just as a design project.

So .... an idle winter day today with all immediate jobs done and thinking about the possibility of a hot weather Camino in 2022 I got the digital scales out and made a packing list and I am both shocked at the weight and rather upset (well, not upset obviously 😂, but I won't carry all this weight on my back, ever!) It really surprised me how it added up, even with a small list, as I haven't had to do this for many years.

Thought I would post my list so it can be taken apart - I don't take offence so please do feel free to get stuck in! By the way, I know I can save weight using synthetics against my skin, but I won't do that.

Assume wearing short sleeved shirt, zip-off shorts, underpants, hat, trekking sandals, and carrying documents/funds and sunglasses

28L Technicals rucksack 784 (+ there is a 60gms rain cover but not needed as I use a poncho)

Snugpak Jungle bag 866 - * possibly sleeping liner instead – save 500?

Towel 230 (won't use a car polishing micro fibre thing)

Toiletries - flannel, soap,

razor, toothbrush/paste 300

Phone & cable 224

Solar panel 92 - works absolutely brilliantly at keeping phone charged!

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Knee brace 304 - a necessary, sorry

Poncho cape 200

1 pr zip-off trousers 312 - will be wearing matching shorts to use 1 long legs on both

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

1 pr cotton underpants 72

1 pr ‘emergency’ socks 62

Light fleece 498 - * will look into light down fleece – save 200?

But!! Hang on!! This is already 4.802 !! without even adding a tiny first aid kit or food, or water …..

Though could save about 700 but still 4.1 kilos plus needed extras. Litre of water a kilo … not good!

Soooo seems to me with the daily additions will come to about 7 kilos?

Comments?? Thanks.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@David I noticed that when Efren Gonzales used a trailer on the Via Francigena he often pushed it rather than pulling it. Do you have this option on your new trailer? It might be helpful some of the time.

The jungle bag looks a nice bit of kit but it's certainly heavy. I have used an Alpkit Cloud Cover and like it very much. (Currently I use it over my knees on cold evenings 😊 ). It weighs 450g and has a pocket it can stuff into. Ethically sourced down too.

If you are wearing your knee brace it won't be weight on your back 🤔

Nice minimalist kit list, I need to review and cull mine!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@David I noticed that when Efren Gonzales used a trailer on the Via Francigena he often pushed it rather than pulling it. Do you have this option on your new trailer? It might be helpful some of the time.

The jungle bag looks a nice bit of kit but it's certainly heavy. I have used an Alpkit Cloud Cover and like it very much. (Currently I use it over my knees on cold evenings 😊 ). It weighs 450g and has a pocket it can stuff into. Ethically sourced down too.

If you are wearing your knee brace it won't be weight on your back 🤔

Nice minimalist kit list, I need to review and cull mine!

Hi - thanks, but pushing a trailer is just about the worst thing you can do with one, sorry. When it is pulled it bounces over imperfections, when it is pushed it is ground into them, also, if you are pushing anything you are using your two hands and arms .. a hip belt trailer just follows behind you wherever you go, leaving your hands free. Also, he was using the Radical Design Wheelie, which is specifically designed to be a perfect hip belt trailer - I have no idea why he would have decided to push it 😂

That bag looks sweet, down, ethical too - but sadly not for me - I just cannot cope with the feeling of being trapped that a mummy style bag gives me, especially if I turn over in my sleep - the Jungle opens fully, which I really like, one can even have side closed and end open (I have hot feet). Though I do see that yours has a drawcord each end. Also, I like to snuggle my head right into a bag so it wouldn't be long enough for me, unless I curled up my head would stick out! If the weather was seriously hot enough I would leave the bag behind and take a big rectangular fully opening bag liner, silk probably.

Ah, nowadays I can go long periods sometimes without having to wear the brace ... and then, one day .. all goes pear and I have to wear it for some time ...

Last edited:
You’ll be using the hiking pole (220), and you could wear the knee brace every day (304).

You could toss the towel (230) – I also can’t do the car polishing microfibre thing - and use your hiking shirt to dry yourself before washing it.

That’s carrying 754 less.

I’m good with 7kg – another kg makes a BIG difference.

Good luck!

Hi - thanks, but pushing a trailer is just about the worst thing you can do with one, sorry. When it is pulled it bounces over imperfections, when it is pushed it is ground into them, also, if you are pushing anything you are using your two hands and arms .. a hip belt trailer just follows behind you wherever you go, leaving your hands free. Also, he was using the Radical Design Wheelie, which is specifically designed to be a perfect hip belt trailer - I have no idea why he would have decided to push it 😂

That bag looks sweet, down, ethical too - but sadly not for me - I just cannot cope with the feeling of being trapped that a mummy style bag gives me, especially if I turn over in my sleep - the Jungle opens fully, which I really like, one can even have side closed and end open (I have hot feet). Though I do see that yours has a drawcord each end. Also, I like to snuggle my head right into a bag so it wouldn't be long enough for me, unless I curled up my head would stick out! If the weather was seriously hot enough I would leave the bag behind and take a big rectangular fully opening bag liner, silk probably.

Ah, nowadays I can go long periods sometimes without having to wear the brace ... and then, one day .. all goes pear and I have to wear it for some time ...
I take your points but just to be clear the Cloud Cover is a down blanket with a draw cord top and bottom and a set of poppers along it's length. I generally create a foot box and leave the rest entirely open. I don't like mummy bags either.
Best wishes for your Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all. Background - a couple of years ago I had my second groin hernia operation and afterwards the people came to me and asked about my activities (as it was both sides now), I explained about my first aid Camino mission and they thought a backpack was ok and I then explained about my hip-belt attached trailer and no pack and they told me that perhaps the first aid was over for me now and I should go back just wearing a light pack, without the trailer. So I sold the trailer and the plague came - but you can't keep an old dog down so designed and built another trailer during lockdown, just as a design project.

So .... an idle winter day today with all immediate jobs done and thinking about the possibility of a hot weather Camino in 2022 I got the digital scales out and made a packing list and I am both shocked at the weight and rather upset (well, not upset obviously 😂, but I won't carry all this weight on my back, ever!) It really surprised me how it added up, even with a small list, as I haven't had to do this for many years.

Thought I would post my list so it can be taken apart - I don't take offence so please do feel free to get stuck in! By the way, I know I can save weight using synthetics against my skin, but I won't do that.

Assume wearing short sleeved shirt, zip-off shorts, underpants, hat, trekking sandals, and carrying documents/funds and sunglasses

28L Technicals rucksack 784 (+ there is a 60gms rain cover but not needed as I use a poncho)

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 pr zip-off trousers 312 - will be wearing matching shorts to use 1 long legs on both

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

But!! Hang on!! This is already 4.802 !! without even adding a tiny first aid kit or food, or water …..

Though could save about 700 but still 4.1 kilos plus needed extras. Litre of water a kilo … not good!

Comments?? Thanks.
For a summer month Camino (and even an October Camino), I found just the sleeping liner sufficient. You can also save weight by leaving the solar charger at home. It may work brilliantly at keeping the phone charged, but the outlets where you sleep for the night will probably work almost as well and sufficiently.

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
here's a radical thought - please don't be offended. I hiked at age 77, 2 hip replacements, etc. I carried a small day pack and used transport for larger pack - worked beautifully - only had to carry it all 3 times (it is still good to stay lean - I kept my large pack at 13 pounds)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You're a Camino legend, so it feels silly to give any advice, but you asked for it, so I'll add my two cents!

I know it's a cliché, but saw off toothbrush handle or drill a few holes into it, saves almost nothing but feels like it ;-) I also discovered small dry tablets for brushing teeth instead of toothpaste, very lightweight.

For a summer Camino you might get away with a flimsy single use poncho. If you're careful you can use it more than once, if it's needed at all.

Second the idea of using a shirt as a towel before you wash it. Works especially well with cotton shirts, I did that when I lost my towel one summer.

You're a Camino expert, why the Brierley maps? You know where you're going!

Instead of a full fleece maybe a vest might be enough. Saves the weight of the sleeves, and you already have a long sleeved shirt on your list.

The snugpak jungle bag is nice, but quite heavy. Maybe a lightweight down sleeping bag or blanket instead if only a liner is too cold for you (for me it is, even in july). Could still save you about 300 grams but of course costs quite a bit of money. My first camino sleeping bag was a 500g one and only cost 35 Euros (not a mummy bag). It was a microfibre one. Maybe something like that is a compromise. It wasn't warm enough for april (for me) but should be fine in summer.

And, very unpopular opinion, but instead of smartphone, a simple old school non smart phone... Mine only needs to be charged about once in two weeks, so you'd save the weight of the solar panel.

Just ideas. All the best to you, you'll figure out good solutions that work well for you quickly, I'm sure!

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
Ditch the sleeping bag. Liner is fine.
Swap out cotton. Nike dri fit everything
Sorry but microfibre towel is the way to go.

However, if you are truly concerned about the weight and it may impact your health, carry a necessities bag and ship the rest. I saw lots of people of all ages doing it. I know you may feel like you are cheating but wouldn’t you rather enjoy and ensure you can finish?

David, with your history of hernias-why not send your pack ahead?!

I am of the mind that many a pilgrim over the centuries found ways to have their goods transported. Donkey, horse or horse+cart, maybe-even paid someone else…another pilgrim to carry their supplies for them?

So I have two suggestions. First consider using paq mochilla from correos to send the paq ahead. Second, consider putting a small electric motor on your cart, so all you have to do is steer the cart as you walk. It seems to me bicycles are allowed a motor to help them reach their goal, so-why not a cart one is not riding in.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
Thank you for reminding me of the items I also need to bring. Medical bandages and scissors and duct tape strips need to be added in my stuff

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
Personally I would lose the solar panel and just charge up at the albergue

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Pull always trumps push, especially on soft surfaces. That's why cars have front-wheel drive.

Just a few tweaks can save a bunch of weight (over a kilo):
Liner rather than the bag.
Vest rather than the fleece.
And ditch the Brierley - really, you do know the way by now.

As far as the towel, I use a lightweight regular towel, but not full size by any means - just hand towel size. I have no idea how much it weighs, but not much.

Last edited:

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
That is about as good as it gets.
I would use a sleeping bag liner only and replace cotton with 150 weight merino.
Use the walkingbpole, so no need to carry on pack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For a summer month Camino (and even an October Camino), I found just the sleeping liner sufficient. You can also save weight by leaving the solar charger at home. It may work brilliantly at keeping the phone charged, but the outlets where you sleep for the night will probably work almost as well and sufficiently.
I agree re the liner but the positives re the solar panel are that it is flat and very thin so pins to the pack and weighs less than a wall charger and also means one never has to scramble for a socket nor leave the phone for hours by itself with strangers passing by.

Our last Camino was in the month of June, so I knew that a sleeping bag would not always be necessary. Instead I bought two light weight blankets and sewed Velcro tape along the bottom and partially up the side. Like that, it would be used as a sleeping bag, or when very warn, just as a light weight cover. This saved more than 300 grams, probably more, by ditching the sleeping bags. And the blanket occupied less space in out packs 😊

I agree re the liner but the positives re the solar panel are that it is flat and very thin so pins to the pack and weighs less than a wall charger and also means one never has to scramble for a socket nor leave the phone for hours by itself with strangers passing by.
What brand is your solar charger?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
May I suggest that you check to see that the leg extensions fit on both pairs of shorts?

I bought a second pair of the same style and brand of zip-off trousers to do the same thing and the zips on the leg pieces from one were not a match for the other!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
thinking about the possibility of a hot weather Camino in 2022
Re-read your post, and I see you are looking at a hot weather camino, so I agree with the others who have posted above –

toss the poncho, and take one of those “emergency” ponchos that weigh next to nothing. If it shreds, and you get wet, no big deal in summer;

toss the solar power panel, you really don’t need it. If you don’t use your phone too much (you have Brierley maps, so I guess you are not checking online apps all the time), you can charge your phone whenever you are near a socket. I often choose a table in a café or restaurant that is near a wall socket, so I can plug in my phone while eating, and I always look for a bed that is next to a socket;

toss the sleeping bag and take a thermal liner; you can wear your fleece if it is cold.

Thanks for Fab responses, some brilliant and inventive suggestions - a few answers (please don't be offended if I do things differently).

I can see the virtue of luggage carrying facilities and am really glad they exist as they open Camino to so many who would not be able to go, but, for me, well, I don't live like that (at the moment, might change if my hips go!). I don't plan where I am going to be at the end of the next day, it takes all the joy and unknowing out of my life .. I never want to have to be somewhere at a certain time on a certain day .. if you are late you hurry up and miss living, if exhausted you still have to carry on, if you meet people you want to share a meal with you have to say no, etc, etc. I became aware of this very young when I started dating .. a girl would say "do you want to meet up next Friday" and my immediate thought, no matter how gorgeous she was, was that I had no idea what I wanted to do or where I wanted to be a week ahead (I lost a lot of girlfriends).

I don't use poles but I carry one for if my duff knee gives out and I have to put the brace on, and also to convert myself from biped to tripod on slippery slopes (oh, and for fighting farm dogs!). Also, only wear the brace when I need to, so pole and brace are 'load' until needed.

Merino wool - did try a pair of underpants and they were brilliant but made the mistake of buying the cheapest ones I could find and they went loose and out of shape really quickly (we are Scots, our family) ... may go Merino in the future, think it a great idea - less sweaty smells too! - but only when I have the spare cash to buy quality.

Why take the Brierley maps? No idea really - not like I am going to get lost or won't remember the way! .. I think it is because the evening before I have the habit of looking at the next day to look up fountains, towns if I need something and so on. But, thinking about it, is only a habit and it could be absolutely liberating not to take it!

I agree, Jungle bag is a good bag but is much too heavy (even though a light bag) - fairly certain I will go with a bag liner, probably silk.

Fleece and alternatives ... this is my fear choice I think "what if it gets cold in summer in Spain", as if they don't have shops! - will take something but something much lighter. Is possible that a long sleeved thermal t shirt would be better, worn underneath other clothing if a bit cool - could sleep in it too.

Oh - the zip-off trousers! Indeed, zips checked!! Funny thing is the hand washing of shorts for a few weeks but not wearing the legs .. when you do finally wear the legs the shorts are pale and the legs are dark and they look ludicrous hahaha.

The towel? Is small and thin but a real towel, more of a luxury comfort item? .. probably ditchable!

Bathroom stuff - true, could lower weight there as well. When I weighed it it was with my electric toothbrush (I know!), big tube of paste .. can do better!!

Dang! I forgot that I carry a long handled umbrella sunshade too!!

I could possibly not take any form of phone charging as I only switch on for a couple of minutes each evening to see if there are any emergency texts/ Make of solar panel? Sorry, I don't know, no label. I bought it on Ebay years ago - it was seriously cheap - and it charges my phone (in good sunlight) in a couple of hours. I went back a few months later to buy a few for presents and the seller had been removed from Ebay - all I know is that it works, is seriously thin, has a usb socket and measures 26cms by 14 cms .... I think it is alien technology 😂.
IMG_20211219_191918782_HDR.jpgIMG_20211219_191945851_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use poles but I carry one for if my duff knee gives out and I have to put the brace on, and also to convert myself from biped to tripod on slippery slopes. Also, only wear the brace when I need to, so pole and brace are 'load' until needed.
You do realize, don’t you, that you are carrying two heavy items “just in case you need them”? Hmm, maybe we should thrash that one out . . . ? 🤔🤣

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You do realize, don’t you, that you are carrying two heavy items “just in case you need them”? Hmm, maybe we should thrash that one out . . . ? 🤔🤣

Dang!! Well spotted!!! You are SO right - three if you include the fleece, four with the Brierley maps! My knee rarely goes out now (hurrah) and if it does, well, I'm sure I could survive until I reach the next town where I could buy a brace, or even take a day off. It doesn't stop me walking, just hurts when it goes ... as for the pole .. well, on slopes I could just walk slower as a biped! jsalt you are so right! I am going to look at this list again, actually spread it all out, and see what is needed and what is 'just in case', which is Always about fear - thank you!

I did North Africa once, decades ago, and wore a djellaba, so I would be comfortable in the heat and not be approached by locals selling things, and each night would take it off, reverse it, and cover myself with it, putting my feet in the hood, and go to sleep - whatever has happened to me!! :eek:😂

Last edited:

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
Fleece? In summer? I walked Sept/October and only used my jacket early mornings in Galicia. I wore a light elastic knee brace- worked well

I had a knee problem for a while and a camino-buddy-nurse taped it up with tape:

https://www.healthline.com/health/kinesiology-tape

It worked like magic; well ok, it worked for me.
Anyway, I now carry the tape (there is one made just for the knee) in my first aid kit just in case . . .

P.S. I see you are from Oxford. I grew up in Faringdon 🙂.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My knee - I had a motorcycle accident when verr young, took the bike over the top of a Pontiac (too long to go round when it pulled out) and the right knee was opened up and they stuck it all back together again. Was registered disabled for eight years (oh, and because of the arm too) .. so it is a specific trauma that cannot be made better than it is .. elasticated bandages don't help, nor taping, only a serious brace with metal hinges either side that force the knee to only move forwards and backwards, without any 'swivelling' - is an old trauma and when it goes, well, it really goes - sorry.

Last edited:
Exactly what I was recommending.

My knee - I had a motorcycle accident when verr young, took the bike over the top of a Pontiac (too long to go round when it pulled out) and the right knee was opened completely up and they stuck it all back together again. Was registered disabled for eight years (oh, and because of the arm too) .. so it is a specific trauma that cannot be made better than it is .. elasticated bandages don't help, nor taping, only a serious brace with metal hinges either side that force the knee to only move forwards and backwards, without any 'swivelling' - is an old trauma and when it goes, well, it really goes - sorry.
@David, hard to believe all the Caminos you have walked with the seriousness of your knee injury.
On a side note, is your Avatar photo new or have I just missed noticing it for awhile? It's very nice!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Fleece? In summer? I walked Sept/October and only used my jacket early mornings in Galicia.

Of course you can be lucky. But I remember one july morning in Foncebadon it was almost freezing, while later down in Molinaseca it was maybe 30degrees Celsius or so. There were quite a few very miserable pilgrims in shorts and light t-shirts that morning up on the hill who regretted having ditched their fleece shortly before... Don't underestimate the mountains, it can be very cold up there even in summer.

Edit: if you don't want to bring even a lightweight fleece vest, you should at least have a space blanket for emergencies in your backpack, in my opinion...

Last edited:
There is nothing warmer and lighter and more luxurious than a cashmere sweater to put on in the evenings.
I bought a second hand cashmere/merino blend jumper for my first camino. Didn't regret spending those ten Euros! Leightweight, warm, and feels soooo nice. For summer, a cashmere cardigan is my preferred choice now, which I wear over a light merino shirt when it's cold.
Ebay and thrift shops are your friend for this if you don't want to spend a fortune...

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for reminding me of the items I also need to bring. Medical bandages and scissors and duct tape strips need to be added in my stuff
If you're carrying a hussif, AKA travel size sewing kit, the tiny scissors in that is just fine for cutting the tape...and gauze...but then, I use paper tape as the fabric based medical tape lets the warmed up glue go thru the fabric and into the interior surface of the sock.
My tiny scissors is sold as a sewing scissors, the blade is all of half an inch. It's not super sturdy but it's only for tiny repairs--almost never needed really--and cutting gauze squares into smaller ones for blisters. And this last time I had no blisters at all, the roll of paper tape was entirely unused.
In summer, I second the idea to leave the sleeping bag at home and just take a liner, then if you're chilly you borrow the blanket for the night.

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
Weight seems to be an osession for Camino walkers. I have been under pack for 50 years carrying upto 40kgs and regardless of my age I notice that I settle into the weight and develop the capacity to carry it. (Admittedly the heaviest I have carried in the last 5 years is 25kgs but up some scary slopes. I was 66 at the time.) So, perhaps a kg here or there or even 2 is not an issue as a few days into the walk we will naturally step up to the mark. If not there is always the post. Please interpret my comments to eclude ongoig injuries - then the extra kgs probably do make a difference. You will only really know when you get to the end. What do you think?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So, perhaps a kg here or there or even 2 is not an issue as a few days into the walk we will naturally step up to the mark. If not there is always the post.
Maybe we "will naturally step up to the mark". But maybe not. It seems to me that minimizing the pack weight is a better solution than the post, if possible.

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
I'm struggling at the same point, minus water, a couple of snacks, and what is in my small belly pack. One item I'm struggling with is my good poncho that was recommended some years ago here, vs my uber light Black Diamond stretch rain jacket and rain pants. Carrying both seems silly, but going the first of April I'm sort of anticipating lots of rain, where the poncho would keep things dryer? It is definitely heavier though. I keep shaving off, then remember something. I've got three+ months to play this fun game, so I hope I get it right as I go along. I'm looking forward to seeing how you fare.
And, while I haven't been on any of the routes yet...thank you for your service! Your reputation proceeds you.

In view of the uncertainty of the ongoing COVID situation, it may be advisable (or necessary) to book accommodation to be sure of a bed. In this case, using a baggage transfer service makes sense.

Weight seems to be an osession for Camino walkers. I have been under pack for 50 years carrying upto 40kgs and regardless of my age I notice that I settle into the weight and develop the capacity to carry it. (Admittedly the heaviest I have carried in the last 5 years is 25kgs but up some scary slopes. I was 66 at the time.) So, perhaps a kg here or there or even 2 is not an issue as a few days into the walk we will naturally step up to the mark. If not there is always the post. Please interpret my comments to eclude ongoig injuries - then the extra kgs probably do make a difference. You will only really know when you get to the end. What do you think?
@Frank Wortley, I think you are right about members being obsessed with weight, even to the point of becoming overly robust in proffering advice on the matter. That said, it seems to me that there is a trade-off between how fast, and far, one wants to walk, and how much one is carrying, and that is before considering age, fitness or injury.

The saying 'to walk far, carry less' is apt, but so general as to offer little practical value. The 10% pack weight rule of thumb is interpreted so many different ways that one almost needs to explain exactly what you think it does and doesn't cover to have a sensible discussion based on it. And 'from the skin out' advocates, and I am one, seem to be consistently misunderstood when it comes to the value of an alternative approach to this.

My observation is that many walkers that I have seen aren't good at establishing a safe, comfortable, walking speed for themselves. I know that I found it difficult on my first Camino, and ran the risk of injuring myself keeping up with a friend who was walking at a much faster pace than I could comfortably sustain. A couple of years later, I met a woman whom I suspect had injured herself trying to keep up with a much faster walking partner. They eventually split up and walked apart. They both made it to the end of the St Olavsleden at Trondheim, just a couple of days apart. But by then they weren't talking to each other! That's not an outcome anyone needs.

So yes, you can add a kilo or two - I don't think there is any sharply defined point where one is carrying too much. But when I do that, I can no longer keep up the same pace as I might if I were carrying less.

Check out this 3-season ultralight sleeping bag, 546 g, from Feathered Friends. I took it on my 2018 Camino Frances and it served me well for the freezing nights between SJPP and Pamplona, the very hot evenings in the Meseta and damp chilly nights going to Finisterre.

Check out this 3-season ultralight sleeping bag, 546 g, from Feathered Friends. I took it on my 2018 Camino Frances and it served me well for the freezing nights between SJPP and Pamplona, the very hot evenings in the Meseta and damp chilly nights going to Finisterre.
Which one? And given @David has already expressed his views about mummy style sleeping bags, is this going to be an option for him?

If your comments exclude ongoing injuries then they may not apply to David, who posed the question, as he has mentioned a couple of hernias and a knee injury. The extra kgs may make a difference for him in that context.

Carrying both seems silly, but going the first of April I'm sort of anticipating lots of rain, where the poncho would keep things dryer? It is definitely heavier though
@Aloha From Kauai, check out both and see which does the better job. You have the perfect laboratory right in your backyard. Go up to Koke'e on a rainy day with your pack and whichever set-up you want to test. If you walk from the end of the road on the Pihea Trail as far as the overlook and back, that'll be a good approximation of Spain on a rainy April day. (Except the mud in Spain is different. More annoyingly sticky. 🙃 )

In windy conditions, a poncho will flap about and be impossible to control. A good quality rain jacket is better!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Frank Wortley, I think you are right about members being obsessed with weight, even to the point of becoming overly robust in proffering advice on the matter. That said, it seems to me that there is a trade-off between how fast, and far, one wants to walk, and how much one is carrying, and that is before considering age, fitness or injury.

The saying 'to walk far, carry less' is apt, but so general as to offer little practical value. The 10% pack weight rule of thumb is interpreted so many different ways that one almost needs to explain exactly what you think it does and doesn't cover to have a sensible discussion based on it. And 'from the skin out' advocates, and I am one, seem to be consistently misunderstood when it comes to the value of an alternative approach to this.

My observation is that many walkers that I have seen aren't good at establishing a safe, comfortable, walking speed for themselves. I know that I found it difficult on my first Camino, and ran the risk of injuring myself keeping up with a friend who was walking at a much faster pace than I could comfortably sustain. A couple of years later, I met a woman whom I suspect had injured herself trying to keep up with a much faster walking partner. They eventually split up and walked apart. They both made it to the end of the St Olavsleden at Trondheim, just a couple of days apart. But by then they weren't talking to each other! That's not an outcome anyone needs.

So yes, you can add a kilo or two - I don't think there is any sharply defined point where one is carrying too much. But when I do that, I can no longer keep up the same pace as I might if I were carrying less.
Very true dougfitz. I just wanted to suggest we can get too concerned and that within reason, injury, pace etc. the little extra weight does not matter as done right we build up strength the meet the situation. I liked your balance and thanks for your response. Stay safe. Frank

I'll add my list at the end of the post. It's what i plan to use on my potential CF 2022 and have already used in the past in a similar fashion. Maybe you can take some things from it, maybe not. Anyways it is below 4kg and I don't feel like i am missing anything.

For your stated items a few thoughts:

First, i recommend you make a distinction of non-negotiable items and items you might be willing to change. If you have to take the knee brace, theres no point of talking about it.

I see that you list a whole lot of cotton items. I understand that they are more comfortable than wool or synthetic they tend to be a) more heavy and b) less practical. It is not my choice to make, but there could be some weight saved.

The sleeping bag is a classical "money can save you weight" scenario. My extremely expensive down bag is only 240g and a lot warmer than a liner. Cumulus does offer a variety of sleeping bags at rather low weights but a price.

Toiletries is also a way to easily save weight. I don't shave much, so i save the razor but go to the barber every couple of days or weeks. They are plenty and cheap in spain and it doubles as a bit of Spa feeling :)

For a Frances i personally would never take a solar panel. Likely not even a power bank. My Google Pixel 5 is so good with battery that i can get two days out of it if I don't use it excessively.

I am not a big fan of paper maps or guide books for the Frances. It's not like you could get lost if you tried...

edit: If i guess correctly and you are from the UK you might want to look at Atompacks backpacks. Expensive, but very light and well made.

Finally, here's the list.
1639994924763.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
7 kilos looks pretty good to me. But I am no fan of zip off trousers. They are uncomfortable around the zip and are a pain to zip on and off. A pair of long pants and a pair of shorts works better for me.

@David, hard to believe all the Caminos you have walked with the seriousness of your knee injury.
On a side note, is your Avatar photo new or have I just missed noticing it for awhile? It's very nice!

Aww, thanks, is a new photo!! I don't think I should have mentioned the knee, or rather, the brace in the packing list - easier to have left it out. Is ok, 55 years ago now and it works well, I regularly walk five miles or so with no problems .. smooth terrain, low body load (was awful when I allowed myself to get heavy but am over 4 stone lighter now) but walking too fast or too far or rough terrain, or putting it under load at 'odd' angles takes it past usability and it becomes rather painful, to say the least ... but I haven't had to wear my brace for over half a year now - I just like to have it with me for 'just in case' and also if there is a bumpy ascent/descent.

In windy conditions, a poncho will flap about and be impossible to control. A good quality rain jacket is better!
Not my experience at all. And anyway, David already has his kit sussed out.
Surely you realize that some people manage very well with their ponchos!
Many people.
Here's a photo from a camino I walked in 2017 with 4 amigas, all but me extremely experienced peregrinas (decades of walking many caminos): how many ponchos do you count? (To be transparent, the peregrina who took the photo is a jacket gal. And I love my Altus.)
signal-2021-12-20-17-57-49-531.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all. Background - a couple of years ago I had my second groin hernia operation and afterwards the people came to me and asked about my activities (as it was both sides now),

Really @David . 🤔
I've had hernias both sides ( inguinal ) and now need to get both repaired before my next Camino.
Maybe yours are a different more serious 'variety'.

Seriously though. My surgeon has not stopped me from lifting or carrying.
I've been putting off the repairs for 12 months due to Covid....

I would have thought the trailer would be better than a pack.

Maybe get a second opinion?

Last edited:
Really @David . 🤔
I've had hernias both sides ( inguinal ) and now need to get both repaired before my next Camino.
Maybe yours are a different more serious 'variety'.

Seriously though. My surgeon has not stopped me from lifting or carrying.
I've been putting off the repairs for 12 months due to Covid....

I would have thought the trailer would be better than a pack.

Maybe get a second opinion?

I think so Robo ... first one the surgeon told me never to worry about it again, go to the gym without fear, etc .. the second one .. well, was coming round from the drugs and now wondering if I dreamt the whole conversation!! hahaha
I too feel that a light packed trailer is probably the better option - the answer of course, is for me to test it out by loading mine and walking around .... I so dislike carrying a pack and the list I made brought me a bit low too .... hadn't had to make such a list for years!!

Aww, thanks, is a new photo!! I don't think I should have mentioned the knee, or rather, the brace in the packing list - easier to have left it out. Is ok, 55 years ago now and it works well, I regularly walk five miles or so with no problems .. smooth terrain, low body load (was awful when I allowed myself to get heavy but am over 4 stone lighter now) but walking too fast or too far or rough terrain, or putting it under load at 'odd' angles takes it past usability and it becomes rather painful, to say the least ... but I haven't had to wear my brace for over half a year now - I just like to have it with me for 'just in case' and also if there is a bumpy ascent/descent.

I built my first trailer to remove weight from my back because every ounce we carry presses downwards (gravity and all that) through the knees, shins, ankles, feet ... apart from footwear problems I have found that the main causes of injuries are carrying too much weight and/or walking too fast/too far (leaving out the going from never walking before to walking day stages and ignoring the body alarm signals).

Try this - without a pack stand straight and relaxed with arms down at the sides. Now, turn hands so the back of the hands face forwards and then lean forward a little from the waist - from the waist only - and you will feel all your joints and tendons and ligaments down the front of your legs go into stress. And this is the angle when you wear a pack and the heavier the pack the more the stress - so it isn't what you can carry it is what it does to your body. This is a pretty good test to do as it clarifies why we need to pack light - especially with curved mesh frame harness packs that put the weight further back so we have to lean further forward.

@Aloha From Kauai - ah, the coat or poncho debate! It comes down to personal choice. My choice is poncho (mine is from Ikea, cost me £8) .. re weight - if taking a poncho the pack cover can be left at home, a weight trade off. I prefer a poncho as I find that no matter how 'breathable' a coat it never is .. a pack straps the coat tight to your body, impeding air flow .. they are sweaty, bulky .. your hands are always wet .. with a poncho it is like standing dry underneath a tree! cool, dry, airy, your hands are dry. Have never had a problem with high winds.
The trick with poncho or coat hood is to take a peaked cap to wear under the hood - game changing as rain stays off the face too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Aloha From Kauai, check out both and see which does the better job. You have the perfect laboratory right in your backyard. Go up to Koke'e on a rainy day with your pack and whichever set-up you want to test. If you walk from the end of the road on the Pihea Trail as far as the overlook and back, that'll be a good approximation of Spain on a rainy April day. (Except the mud in Spain is different. More annoyingly sticky. 🙃 )
See me slap my head...duh!

Echoing all the suggestions on swapping out anything cotton for Merino 150 - save weight and items get "funky" less quickly PLUS dry faster after washing.

EXCEPT, I have found a piece of muslin is very good for a towel and may shave 80-100 g off your given item weight. About 0.5 square yard will do....and it dries very fast.

B

About 0.5 square yard will do....and it dries very fast.
Would you please clarify. Do you mean something like 18 inches by 18 inches, 0.25 square yards? Or something like 18 inches by 36 inches, 0.5 square yards?

The metric equivalent would be approximately something like 50 cm x 50 cm = 0.25 square meters or 50 cm x 1 m = 0.5 square meters.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Would you please clarify. Do you mean something like 18 inches by 18 inches, 0.25 square yards? Or something like 18 inches by 36 inches, 0.5 square yards?

The metric equivalent would be approximately something like 50 cm x 50 cm = 0.25 square meters or 50 cm x 1 m = 0.5 square meters.
Hey, Man... I live with a MAD quilter so I thought I was precise enough. ;)

Let me clarify however.... yes, I mean 0.5 square yard... or "...something like 18 inches by 36 inches.."

Using "yards" (the plural) for a fraction of just ONE yard is not within my capacity. It seems confusing and un-necessary. (Your local quilter may have an entirely different opinion.)

Though I am reliably informed that I have a special place "on the spectrum" so you are probably "normal"...and therefore forgiven. :)

"Breaking News": Ah... the Beloved is suddenly available and I asked her how I got this wrong. She informs me that I should have said "one-half of a square yard". My response? "That's what I said!" (She is an English major while I tend more towards math and such.)

Apologies for my frivolity... I have had a long day in the cold of roasting "Christmas coffee" for loved ones and then moving firewood. A restorative glass of tinto is having out-sized effects perhaps....

B

Hi David. You state that you don't want that weight on your back. Perhaps consider taking some of the weight to your front in a waist pack. I tried this on my last Camino (several decades it now seems although it was only 3 years ago) with an Elementerre bag I bought in Carrion.
It takes two 800ml bottles plus guide book or map plus phone and charger, wallet etc.. so I also lower my centre of gravity a little.
Alpkit in the Lake District have a very similar bag on their website- see

Over the winter I am really good at reducing the weight of the contents of my rucksack. Weighing everything on my wife's kitchen scales (when she is out!) to find the lightest T-shirt, socks, etc. However, a couple of days before I leave for a multi-day walk I always end up adding back a few things that in the comfort of my warm house I thought I didn't need!

Hey, Man... I live with a MAD quilter so I thought I was precise enough. ;)

Let me clarify however.... yes, I mean 0.5 square yard... or "...something like 18 inches by 36 inches.."

Using "yards" (the plural) for a fraction of just ONE yard is not within my capacity. It seems confusing and un-necessary. (Your local quilter may have an entirely different opinion.)

Though I am reliably informed that I have a special place "on the spectrum" so you are probably "normal"...and therefore forgiven. :)

"Breaking News": Ah... the Beloved is suddenly available and I asked her how I got this wrong. She informs me that I should have said "one-half of a square yard". My response? "That's what I said!" (She is an English major while I tend more towards math and such.)

Apologies for my frivolity... I have had a long day in the cold of roasting "Christmas coffee" for loved ones and then moving firewood. A restorative glass of tinto is having out-sized effects perhaps....

B
Just wanted to make sure everyone was thinking the same thing. I didn't want anyone to pack twice as much towel as needed, or worst, half as much. I threw in the metric measurements for the 99% of the world that get confused with the inch, foot, yard, rod, furlong, mile system. I actually had to work with chains and links also for awhile.

I did pause a bit about yard versus yards and decided that while a spoken quarter required a yard a written decimal 0.25 requested yards. But then last night I was telling friends that there are a number of words that I pronounce a couple of ways and I can't figure out why or when I use one over the other.

:)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
I know this suggestion will attract a tirade of not-in-the-spirit-of-it comments from the forum, but have you considered wearing a light day pack and spending a few Euros each day on a bag service?

At the age of 24 I hiked the Inca Trail and was exhausted on the first day by wearing a stupidly pregnant pack. I found a porter and this transformed my hike into pure joy. I have never forgotten this.

Just a thought.

Perhaps you can take photos of the Brierly on your phone, so you still have them with you, but with no weight and no app. Also, consider taking just one hiking pole.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@David, to spread my time I read the weekly list that Ivar sends. And so I have an advantage of reading the wisdoms (or otherwise) of the contributions until now.

My earliest days were tramping over hills ranging up to 5,000 feet (1,500 metres) above sea level. And the gear I used in those days has conditioned my thinking when adapting to the different needs for a Camino style jaunt.

My basic need is for a framed pack. And the other is too keep things as simple as possible day by day.

Looking at your list I have retained 8 of your choices and substituted my choices for the other 8.

The attached .PDF file shows what I have done. My list comes to 3.320 kg.

Reading your views on bags, I have applied the early knowledge noted above.

One aspect that drives me is layers and the concepts in Pilgrim Tips ... by S Yates (2013), especially the concept of considering things that can have more than one use. Here I savagely attack the use of Polar Fleece tops: they weigh a lot and have only one use. Within about 30 minutes after starting the pull up from Saint-Jean, I saw so many pilgrims stop, take off and open their pack, swap the thick top with a lighter weight top, close up the pack and return to the back, start off again. Possibly getting a chill in the process, but certainly using up energy with the taking the pack off and putting it back on again.

In other words, when cold strikes you put on more layers and when it get warmer you take them off. The neatest solution I have seen some use is to tie their long sleeved outer layers around their waist, underneath their pack and I have seen them make the change (donning of doffing) without breaking step.

I hope you find some food for thought.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui (be strong, patient and confident)

Attachments

• www.caminodesantiago.me_community_threads_my-first-packing-list-for-a-decade-and-not-pleased#p...pdf
    74.8 KB · Views: 42
Packing list: I laid out all my t shirts and arranged them by weight, with help from the battery kitchen scale. I took with me only the lightest weight ones, and the same with underpants. I wore dark trousers when off road, light colored while walking near cars. I also weighed all my little packing bags and tried to take a minimum of those, and the lightest ones. With my 3 lb backpack, I left home with it weighing 13 lbs, and when I got home it was over 20 lbs but felt no heavier than when I started.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
Walking my first Camino in April (Portuguese Coastal). I'm intrigued-where do you get a Solar panel charger?

AND they can all be found along the way-“Chinese” store, supermarket, pharmacy.
That's true, and so one doesn't need to carry more than is required for immediate first aid and a day or so of treatment of blisters or other minor injuries. My experience is that there were stretches of the CF and CI where I didn't find any open when I arrived at some place, or before I wanted to leave the next morning. My recommendation would be to have at least enough for a couple of days treatment of blisters and minor cuts, scrapes and other abrasions in addition to any medicines that you are taking regularly as part of your medical kit.

Walking my first Camino in April (Portuguese Coastal). I'm intrigued-where do you get a Solar panel charger?

Plenty on Ebay, such as this one ... a low power trickle charger is all I need.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
merino wool also works better in both hot and cold weather than cotton.
That isn't my experience. There are some things I would not use cotton for, but in hot conditions, I find cotton or cotton blends are much better at keeping one cool than wool. So cotton seems to be a good choice for hot days. There is concern about using cotton in cold wet conditions, where one needs to be kept warm. I can understand that, and where I need clothing and equipment to cover a range of temperature and wet/dry conditions, I will use wool and synthetics, and not cotton.

Last edited:

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
Back pack - some fancy american made ones like
https://zpacks.com/products/nero-backpack ( or even lighter ... )
You can replace the shirts with merino ones .
Brierley maps - can you get digital copies on your smartphone ?
Sleeping bag , towel and the fleece you can reduce the weight by half by replacing them .
I have 3 hernia operations and this year i managed to walk the primitivo without issues but i replaced almost every piece of my previous equipment except the shoes and the socks :)
i managed to reduce it to 6 kilos with the water and still it was heavy

There are some things I would not use cotton for, but in hot conditions, I find cotton or cotton blends are much better at keeping one cool than wool. So cotton seems to be a good choice for hot days.
Except when you are drenched in sweat! Cotton holds onto the moisture. I wear very lightweight merino wool, and it has served me well on hot and sweaty summer Caminos.

lightweight merino works well even in summer, but for very high temperatures a very light cotton is really nice to have. It really depends on the fabric how long it takes to dry. I have one cotton shirt I like to use for summer hiking that dries just as quickly as my merinos (cotton linen blend). Wouldn't use the cotton to stand on top of a mountain in cold wind while sweating, but on long, desert like days on the meseta it is perfect (for me). If you put it on slightly wet it will cool you down for a while.

I did fare very well with my merino T-Shirts and Longsleeve... dried reasonably quick, not to warm, not to cold. And i did not smell like a ... whatever ... after a day of hiking.

However: I switched out my merino boxers after the first couple of days. They did itch at uncomfortable locations and i did not like that at all. So i bought the cheapest synthetic running briefs from a certain french sports discounter and happily use the to this day for all things hiking.

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
Hi, You may want to consider tooth powder instead of toothpaste. Much lighter when compared although only a small difference in the overall weight.

Phone & cable 224

Brierley Maps only 116

Walking pole 220

Poncho cape 200

1 long sleeved shirt 328

1 cotton t-shirt 194

Comments?? Thanks.
Anything under 10 kilos and you’re doing well 😆 maybe extra socks?

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back