• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

my first solo camino starts

nimo

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino (Frances) starting by solo on 28th of April from SJPP
I am planning to start my first solo camino, from Porto on 13nd of april. I will start on my 46th birthday:) I think I will follow interior route since I am a bit nervous about being all alone on coastal way.
My return back flight from Santiago de Compostela is on 26th of april. This gives me 13 days.
Do you think it’s manageable? If I add also Finisterre and Muxia to my route would that be too ambitious?
Maybe just Finisterre, not sure.
I mean before to arrive to SdC I want to pass through those places.
What would be your advices to a newbie like me?
thank you and buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am planning to start my first solo camino, from Porto on 13nd of april. I will start on my 46th birthday:) I think I will follow interior route since I am a bit nervous about being all alone on coastal way.
My return back flight from Santiago de Compostela is on 26th of april. This gives me 13 days.
Do you think it’s manageable? If I add also Finisterre and Muxia to my route would that be too ambitious?
Usually people walk to Finisterra and or Muxia after Santiago.
I haven't walked the Portuguese route, but I doubt that you will be completely alone.

It took us 10 days to walk from Porto to Santiago on the main route so can't see that you would have time to walk to Finisterre. Perhaps a bus ride to have a look this time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
how auspicious to set out on your birthday - starting a new cycle of life with a pilgrimage -

This schedule appears to be of such nature that it does not leave much time/space to meander, explore the places you walk through.
you don't share any info regarding your pacing - what is your walking pace with a backpack ? or if you arrive from an oversea's journey (aka jet-lag issues to consider as well).
I walked that route - but started in Lisboa - in early May. And it took me a good week+ to get into an easeful pacing and having my body better adjusted to those walking stages.
And I allowed myself rest days. your schedule would not allow for that all - and to me, that would be stressful ... and very counter to what - to me - a pilgrimage is also about.

enjoy the planning - and then Bom Caminho !

I have no advice about the time walking from Porto to Santiago but count on three days walking from Santiago to Finisterre or three days for Santiago to Muxia. The walk between Muxia and Finisterre can be done in one day however there is accommodation in Liraes between the two. There is better bus service between Santiago and Finisterre then there is between Santiago and Muxia. If pressed for time you could bus from Santiago to Cee or Corcubion and walk the 15 km or so to the Finisterre lighthouse. In Santiago you could also arrange one day tours.

In 2015 the tourist office in Santiago de Compostela gave out a free guide
http://www.caminodesantiago.gal/documents/17639/155453/Fisterra Muxía - Plano - EN.pdf?version=1.0

how auspicious to set out on your birthday - starting a new cycle of life with a pilgrimage -

This schedule appears to be of such nature that it does not leave much time/space to meander, explore the places you walk through.
you don't share any info regarding your pacing - what is your walking pace with a backpack ? or if you arrive from an oversea's journey (aka jet-lag issues to consider as well).
I walked that route - but started in Lisboa - in early May. And it took me a good week+ to get into an easeful pacing and having my body better adjusted to those walking stages.
And I allowed myself rest days. your schedule would not allow for that all - and to me, that would be stressful ... and very counter to what - to me - a pilgrimage is also about.

enjoy the planning - and then Bom Caminho !
May I ask you a question about the weather on the Portuguese. I know there is no absolute but my husband and I are planning on walking in the Spring , 2018 and wondering whether April or May would be better. We prefer to walk when it is cooler and have all necessary rain protection but would of course prefer to walk in balmy weather! Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don’t dismiss the coastal route on the grounds of isolation.
And it is completely safe and well signed.
I have walked both interior and coastal routes.
I think walking on to Finisterre is unrealistic.
For excitement and a beautiful excursion, why not consider the Spiritual Variante?
Well signed, too. A great experience for me, this September past.
Bom Camino

Nimo, my wife and I walked the central route (some call it the interior) from Porto with our first day of walking on April 8th this year. We hit a warm stretch of weather this year and a few days topped 30 C. We were in shorts and short sleeves by noon every day which is not typical April weather, but no complaints from us. But April weather can be wet in this region, so you will need rain gear.
We enjoyed the interior route very much with the exception of Day 1 out of Porto. Much of the walking was in the shoulder of the busy N-306. Other than this, we enjoyed each day very much. It took us 10 days to reach Santiago. So if I was doing it again, I would probably walk the coastal route to Vila do Conde on day 1 and then cut back to the central route which rejoins at Villa d'Arcos. It really is a spectacular walk overall via the interior route. It will not be crowded in April, we had absolutely no accommodation issues on any night.
As others have mentioned, you will not have time to walk to Muxia or Finistere with your allotted days, but by all means take a 1 day round trip bus tour which will take you to both along with a few other stops. Many tours are offered from Santiago.

May I ask you a question about the weather on the Portuguese. I know there is no absolute but my husband and I are planning on walking in the Spring , 2018 and wondering whether April or May would be better. We prefer to walk when it is cooler and have all necessary rain protection but would of course prefer to walk in balmy weather! Thank you.
There is not right answer.
Weather is unpredictable and changes from year to year.
Sometimes April is better than May, sometimes May is better the April, sometimes they are equally bad or equally good.

If somebody had asked me if November/December was a good time to walk the camino I would have adviced the person to not do it because usually it is rainy and cold. Well, the cold arrived but we are still waiting for the rain.
This year has been one of the hottest and driest years in decades.

In theory, April is worse than May but I can recall numerous years when that was not the case.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi Nimo & welcome
Btw your avatar is cute. Is your cat called Nimo?
I ‘found’ him in your packing gear!

Re your plan with 13 days . With this amount of time available (and if you are the average walker who likes to smell the roses and stop for a coffee), I’d recommend you take a train for just a short stretch out of Porto to miss the cobblestones a bit of roadway. I can’t advise the perfect station to get off (someone else on forum may have this info ).
If you like some who can cover long distance with ease - don’t worry about this.
You’ll love this camino; it was my first camino and it still holds wonderful memories.
You would have time to bus out to Finisterra also. It doesn’t take a long time to walk out to the lighthouse from the bus stop. Explore the little village and there are some nice beaches that you walk on or beside if you ‘walk’ to Finisterra.
You don’t actually need to book a tour as there are regular buses to and from. Visit the tourist office in Santiago when you’re there for a timetable.

Btw - make sure on your day of arrival in Porto., that you visit the main railway station to take pictures of the inside waiting area. The tile work is magnificent.
You can get a Credencial from the cathedral too.

Bom caminho
Annie

with weatherpatterns going hay-wire all over the worlds, one can't really answer that with any level of certitude.
(i found it helpful to consult www.wunderground.com - pick a location/region and go to the historic section of the website and query the months of April/May of 2011 onwards ... that might give some clues)
i enjoyed the May walking very much. a visual treat were of course also the amazing wildflowers that were in full bloom. (some images of those posted in My Media)
I encountered warm days (others called it very hot) - and I have shivered under several layers of blankies in Ponte di Lima on a mid/late May day that was rather rainy and I was rather cranky.
one can encounter all sorts of weather - and i'd pack accordingly (layers). And quality items of merino wool/cashmere - as i was rather surprised how cold i felt in some areas (but then again, I am a cold-weather-wimp)
the only clothing item that I would switch/add are:
  • a Poncho instead of a rain jacket.
  • And I would carry some lightweight rain-trousers.
(another thing to consider - weather unrelated: in Portugual in mid-May - it's high season for pilgrimages to Fatima. Sometimes hostels etc were 'full' on that account.)

enjoy the preparation - Best Wishes - and Bom Caminho -

Hi Nimo,

To visit Fisterra first you could leave the CP at Padron and head, on country roads (CP-7401 & DP-1302), 24km to Negreira.
From there it's two days on the marked trail to the end of the world. You'll probably have to catch a bus back to Santiago though (unless you're really fast).

Buen Camino

Andy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Nimo & welcome
You would have time to bus out to Finisterra also. It doesn’t take a long time to walk out to the lighthouse from the bus stop. Explore the little village and there are some nice beaches that you walk on or beside if you ‘walk’ to Finisterra.
You don’t actually need to book a tour as there are regular buses to and from. Visit the tourist office in Santiago when you’re there for a timetable.

In my first year in Santiago, my wife and I booked tickets on the local Monbus to Finistere. It is a local bus route that stops at many little towns along the way, so it is a slow grind to Finistere.
It stops in the town site which means you need to walk to the lighthouse and mile zero marker, not a big deal, but you will not see Muxia, unless you figure out a way to change buses.
This year we booked a tour which was an express bus to Muxia and then to the lighthouse and mile zero marker at Finistere. A few other stops were included and a running commentary of the historical significance of the area.
It is well worth booking the tour in my opinion versus just taking the local Monbus.

Hi @zrexer
Fair point, I’ve seen the tour buses about in Finisterra and Muxia. How much does the tour cost to cover both stops.
In my experience nothing beats walking from Santiago.( to both if the peregrinos have time as it’s a magic walk). A lot of people don’t; and before I walked (only this year)., I have taken the bus on a couple of occasions after finishing my camino. I’ve travelled by the slow bus out and found accommodation independently for a couple of days. Good to hear that the tour is worth taking though.
Buen Camino
Annie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi

I just completed my Camino from Matosinhos to Santiago. It was easier to start in Matosinhos than in Porto although i went to the Cathedral in Porto first. It took me 11 days and i carried my pack. I’m 63 and it was my first Camino. I started walking with another person but she was injured and unable to continue after the third day. I did the coastal route but it wasn’t marked in some areas. I went in August and was alone for a few days. You won’t have problems finding hostels in April. I stayed in both hostels and hotels. Bom caminho!

10 days is about right for Porto to SDC. We took the train to Matosinhos and started there. Bom Caminho!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
P
Hi Nimo,
I walked the Camino Portugues from lisbon in the 2015 and left Lisbon on my own. I met few people till I arrived on the third day at Santarem. From there onwards I was never alone on the way especially from Porto.
Including Finisterre and Muxia is not too ambitios.
Mentioning Finisterre and Muxia...last week I completed my solo walk of the Santiago/ Finisterre / Muxoa/Santiago corcuite and was very enjoyable. In December it is a low seaso period however met pilgrims on the way...not as crowded as in the French route bit I can say I enjoyed it to the full.
I wish you all the best in your camino..you will enjoy it!!!
Buen Camino,
Ray (from Malta)

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back