• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first time. 01/10 -> 04/11

Is October a good time to walk?

• Yeah.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NWY

Hi CDSforum!
I'm going to walk the Camino (for the first time!!), starting @ 01/10.
My flight home is @ 04/11, is that about right or should I cancel it?
I'm contemplating bringing a pennyboard or a longboard.

Pennyboard pros:
Lightweight (2kg & very small)
Easy to carry

Pennyboard cons:
Not comfortable downhill & not very secure.

Longboard pros:
Very comfortable downhill & made for this.

Longboard cons:
Not lightweight. (3+kg & big)
Not that easy to carry.

Should I not bring either?
How big % of the roads are even asphalt?

Also, what should I bring?
So far I feel like I have the essentials:
2 jeans / pants
1 shorts
1 poncho in case it rains, which it most likely will
3 tshirts
4 socks
4 underwear
1 beanie
1 sleeping bag
1 hoodie
1 jacket<
1 pair of gloves
1 water bottle thing
1 SLR camera

I've probably missed something that I've already planned to take along, but please lecture me none the less!
Always great with help :)

How do I keep bed bugs away from me? I had them once in Paris @ a hostel and it was absolutely terrible, they're disgusting as hell.
Should I bring a powerbank for my phone or is there enough charger places @ the alberques?

Is 30euro/day enough? That's what I've read so far, 30eu seems to be pretty decent.

THANK YOU, SORRY FOR THE LONG POST

TL;DR tips and advices for Camino Frances

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Leave the pennyboard at home; it will definitely be more of a burden. The Camino is definitely NOT the right place to bring a skateboard.

I don't recommend jeans for the Camino. They are bulky, slow to dry up, and soak in dirt and mud like crazy. Bring sturdy shorts with plenty pockets, material that dries quickly.

For bedbugs, best approach is prevention. I brought with me an organic repellent, I also threw in lavender dryer sheets in my bag (lavender is a natural insect repellent). Plenty advice on this forum already posted. Browse and see if you still have questions. Buen Camino!

Hey there- welcome to the forum! I also am staring Oct 1st, but in Pamplona. Olivares above has good advice for those 3 topics and I just wanted to add- your dates are cutting it very close! I would give yourself AT LEAST another week... When I walked in 2012 it took 32 days and that was without any rest days really, and I also didn't go to Finisterre which you may want to do. You do not want to have the burden of a fast-approaching end date hanging over your head while you walk, that will really take its toll on your experience.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But, isn't it very likely to rain and be a bit cold in October? I'm from Denmark so I'm pretty used to bad weather, but how many celcius should I count with?
Is shorts what I'm going to be wearing for the most part? Is the weather really that good?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But, isn't it very likely to rain and be a bit cold in October? I'm from Denmark so I'm pretty used to bad weather, but how many celcius should I count with?
Is shorts what I'm going to be wearing for the most part? Is the weather really that good?

Weather varies a LOT in October- you really need to be prepared for everything. In 2012 we had just a handful of rainy days and mostly warm or pleasant weather- also at least one day when I felt I would pass out from the heat! Like Olivares said- no jeans! But some light activewear pants are a good choice, and shorts for the warm days. Use the search bar up top to look up packing lists, you can find all the info you need in this forum.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I wear shorts all year and I live where it snows. You can expect a few cool mornings, but for the most part, once you get going...you will warm up.
Dry and cold is good.
Wet and cold is bad.
No cotton clothing. COTTON Kills (even at higher temps)
Unpack your pack...take out all the "might needs"
Repack...over 20 lbs/9kg...you missed some of the might needs...take then out.
Buen Camino,

Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks a lot Arn!
Cotton tshirts not even?
They're so light.

They're light, yes, but they don't dry quickly and don't wick.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I "lived" in two Nike exercise long pants, quick dry, very breathable fabric. They were perfect for the Camino, I walked in May (4 times), October (1), June-July (1). These pants and a 7 inch tablet were the best things in my bag. Buen Camino!

Which kind should I bring then?

Well, anything quickdry, wicking, etc. Shirts made for working out, running.... Things you can find in most outdoor gear stores or sports stores. The search bar up top is your new best friend! Search for packing lists, gear lists, etc- there are lots of packing lists that people post and they might have more specific info. Not sure what stores are around you...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We've walked during September/October on various occasions and proper clothing proved essential: a) against the cold (early mornings, sun may get up later as you get along, sometimes foggy), b) against rain (unpredictable at any time, but rainier as you get nearer Santiago) and, believe it or not, c) for walking sometimes during soaring heat (particularly afternoons).
Light clothing materials are important for quick drying.
Take along an umbrella (which you can also buy locally when necessary): for either shade or against rain.
Ultreya!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back