• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first time

clarisse

Hello

Next year I want to make the French Camiño. I was thinking leaving from ponteferrada, but it's my first time I do the Camino all by myself. Can you help me out? Wich is the best time to do it? April/May? Documents necessary for getting a room in the albergs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Clarrisse
I see this is your first post. Welcome!!
You have come to the right place to get all the anwers that you need for your Camino walk. So surf around and ask as many questions as you need to. There are so many wonderful helpful people here.
I just finished my first Camino and learned everything I needed to know from this forum.

As for where o start, well, how much time do you have? There is no correct starting point.
I am sure there are pros and cons when to go. I walked from September 8 October 10. The weather was perfect for me. We did have several rainy days, but not enough to gripe about.
You can get your "credential" (kind of a passport), which is the document that you need to have stamped daily, at any of the albergues that you start at or send for it before leaving home. I live in the USA and got mine by simply applying online from the American Pilgrim association.

Good luck...you are in for an amazing experience!!

Hi Clarisse,it will be my first time next year,some time in June 2010,iam hoping to start from Lourdes,to Oloron st Marie,then Saint-Jean-Pied-de Port,then onwards into the wild blue yonda,
i myself would also be glad of any details or info on this route,as for the credential (passport)i live in London,and got mine from the Confraternity of St James,Blackfriars road, London,you can look at there web page,you may get the info you need,also there are some good small movies other pilgrims have made,so as to get an idea of the kind of gear to take,good luck,,John :shock:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
freespirit said:
Hi Clarisse,it will be my first time next year,some time in June 2010,iam hoping to start from Carcasonne,along the Chemin du Piemont Pyreneen,along the foothills to Oloron st Marie,v Lourdes,i myself would also be glad of any details or info on this routeJohn
John,
You may have seen this website already. http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp-index-partir.htm It is in French, but if you don't read French, the photos are inspirational! You can get an idea of what each stage is like by clicking on Les etapes.
Margaret

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
(QUOTE)
You may have seen this website already. http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp-index-partir.htm It is in French, but if you don't read French, the photos are inspirational! You can get an idea of what each stage is like by clicking on Les etapes.
Margaret[/quote]

I sure would like to see that site in English. My French just won't let me follow even the basic distances involved.
This looks like a fantastic way to expand the Camino.

Grayland, the site doesn't come in English, unless you apply a "google" type of translation to it- never very satisfactory in my experience. However, if you go to each of the etapes pages, eg http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp-index-etapes.php3 you can see many photos of each stage, plus a google map with a distance scale. What I have found most useful about the site is the photographs, that have helped me work out what the terrain is like, and where I might 'hook in' to begin part way along the route.
Margaret

PS Actually, and here is a much clearer page just with the Google map links to the stages:
http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp_cartes.php

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.