• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first trip... apprehensive and excited

Boardgamer

Time of past OR future Camino
So on Wednesday next, the 31st, I fly from Dublin into Santiago. Hopefully I'll catch a bus to Ferrol.
I have a hotel booked there for 1 night. Then to the Camino I venture. Although I feel that a journey has somehow already begun for me, I look forward to carrying it on with sincerity and gratitude along this sacred route.

So yes, I'm apprehensive. Can I really walk 30km on my first day to Pontedeume? What if I meet noone else on the route? What if I meet someone on the route? Can I get from Ferrol to Santiago de Compostela by Monday, the 5th, so I can make my hotel reservation?
And on the other hand, I'm excited. Adventure waits and I look forward to seeing what El Camino has in store for me. I've read so many posts on this site, from what shoes to wear to whether to bring a sleeping bag, or whether to phone ahead for a reservation. I want to thank every person here for making me feel that I can do this. I'm excited. I can do this. I hope :D

If anyone sees a skinny Irish guy in his mid 30's walking along with a blue bag, feel free to say "Hey!" and "Buen Camino!" :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome Boardgamer! You are in for a challenge and a great time. I love Galicia and will walk the beautiful Inglés route again in September.

Buen Camino!

Let it all go !!!!!!!!!!!!! Forget where you came from and just look forward to where you are going !!!!!!!
Always remember the Camino does provide.........Spiritually, emotionally and physically. Once you are in Santiago you will have a great time with the Peregrinos you met along the way. In six months, while back home, you will be yearning to go back and do it again and again and again...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So yes, I'm apprehensive. :D

Hey Boardgamer! It's a roll of the dice and moving ahead one square at a time. Sometimes you get sent back a square or two and other times you get to Pass Go...though it's not likely you'll collect $200. Some forum members have bought Spanish property after their Caminos and even collect a bit of nightly albergue rent. So throw some doubles, start walking and have lots of fun! Just keep that Get Out of Jail card in your back pocket....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So on Wednesday next, the 31st, I fly from Dublin into Santiago. Hopefully I'll catch a bus to Ferrol.
I have a hotel booked there for 1 night. Then to the Camino I venture. Although I feel that a journey has somehow already begun for me, I look forward to carrying it on with sincerity and gratitude along this sacred route.

So yes, I'm apprehensive. Can I really walk 30km on my first day to Pontedeume? What if I meet noone else on the route? What if I meet someone on the route? Can I get from Ferrol to Santiago de Compostela by Monday, the 5th, so I can make my hotel reservation?
And on the other hand, I'm excited. Adventure waits and I look forward to seeing what El Camino has in store for me. I've read so many posts on this site, from what shoes to wear to whether to bring a sleeping bag, or whether to phone ahead for a reservation. I want to thank every person here for making me feel that I can do this. I'm excited. I can do this. I hope :D

If anyone sees a skinny Irish guy in his mid 30's walking along with a blue bag, feel free to say "Hey!" and "Buen Camino!" :D

We are four of us from Dublin, just behind you, into Ferrol on the 1st June. Maybe see you in SDC! Buen Camino!

Consider yourself lucky to have had such a short flight from home to Spain! You are going to have a lovely time, and Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Let it come over you, you will do just fine.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino , Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome Boardgamer
I'd guess you'll time it perfectly to meet the 4 Dubliners on day 1.
I do understand trepidation- about anything for the first time ; especially when you're hitting the ground solo. 'Try' not to worry about 'what if's'. You will be smiling and relaxed as soon as you've negatiated the first arrow. Check those first arrows out the night prior if possible as it may help knowing your starting directions if others aren't directly in front of you. Then it's easy.

Have a Buen camino. (The Irish are well represented and always make me happy to be with).
Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen Camino! We'll be somewhat behind you - starting out from Ferrol around the 14th June! I'm sure you'll be fine - let go of your apprehension and accept whatever El Camino shares with you.

Last edited:
I'm home and quite honestly I had an amazing journey.

Some general sentiments.
- Johnny Walker's guide was so handy to have tucked in the bottom of my bag. I missed a waymark, at the first turn, at 6am in the dark on the last leg and I knew after 1km without seeing another I messed up somewhere. A quick glance and I was back on track.
- I cannot say enough good things about the local people that I met along the way. The man who helped me locate the starting waymark at Ferrol, the dozens who shouted out "Buen Camino", the lady at Siguero who offered me food at her place. A highlight for me was when one lady offered 4 of us peregrinos boiled eggs on the road and then cafe con leche at her home. If you're lucky enough to meet Marta and her dog Jackie on the road from Betanzos to Bruma you can thank her from me. That stage was the most difficult for me, the relatively steep hills along the 29km, I needed some help and this lady, I guess as well as the Camino, provided.
- The hospitaleros were incredibly helpful all the way through. In particular at Albergue de Bruma was a wonderfully helpful man, really looking after all those that stayed there.
- The peregrinos I met on the way. Yes, I was happy to meet someone on the road. I didn't think that I'd end up meeting about 30 Italians though. Wonderful people all. A 71-year old with no English, Ezio, gave me his rosary beads that Il Papa Francesco had blessed for him at Rome. Not the most religious person, but I was blown away by the kindness this gentle man offered me.
- The mass at the Cathedral. I ended up going to the Italian mass, without a word of Italian. Why? I was asked to come by my new Italian amicis. The passion and sentiment from the padre though, both in the mass and his prior talk, was palpable and I was so glad I went. A special time for me.
- The contemplation I was fortunate enough to be allowed by this route, coupled with the amazingly picturesque views really gave me a sense of connection with myself and the universe that I haven't really been lucky to have experienced before.
-The pouring rain when I entered Santiago while lifting my bag high above my head. Symbolic of something perhaps, I don't know. I just know it felt damn good.

So anyone doing this route all I can say is enjoy it, make the most of it and Buen Camino.
People asked me when I was doing my next one? My answer will be maybe after I reflect on this one. I'm so glad I did it though and so will you too.

I'm home and quite honestly I had an amazing journey.
It's so nice that you have reported back on the forum! :) Many people just mine the information and don't bother giving us the feedback afterward.

People asked me when I was doing my next one? My answer will be maybe after I reflect on this one. I'm so glad I did it though and so will you too.
You can safety strike out the "maybe."

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congrats to you !!!!!!!!!!! and welcome to the "club" !!!!
Read back all the comments others made to you when you first posted about being "apprehensive" and allow yourself to laugh at yourself !!!
101%......is my guess you will be back !
Once again Congrats "Peregrino"

Bob in L.A.

Congratulations Boardgamer! Thanks for letting us know how it went and what it meant to you.

We are four of us from Dublin, just behind you, into Ferrol on the 1st June. Maybe see you in SDC! Buen Camino!
On Tuesday I hope to fly out from Virginia into Rota Spain and onward to Ferrol to begin my journey. I am planning on 12 days to do the Camino Ingles. I am excited and am literally leaving my journey in God's hands.

€46,-
On Tuesday I hope to fly out from Virginia into Rota Spain and onward to Ferrol to begin my journey. I am planning on 12 days to do the Camino Ingles. I am excited and am literally leaving my journey in God's hands.

Wishing you a safe journey to Spain Abigail. We'll be a little ahead of you I think, but wish you 'Buen Camino!'

I hope & I'm sure that you'll have a fantastic time. Also 12 days is plenty of time so take your time and enjoy each moment :D

That sounds wonderful Avigail.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! Im walking the Camino Ingles starting from Ferrol on the 8th May, arriving in SdC on the 14th (and staying til the 17th :) ) Ive not walked a camino before, nor have I ever really done any...
Hi! would arrive by train from Madrid at 23:22 at Ferrol station and from there heading to the parador ferrol (solo female traveler). Is taxi widely available? should i arrange the parador to send...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back