• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My from-Tours-to-Santiago-de-Compostella-on-horseback-plan

RayTravels

Hello People,

My question is quite simular to those of others requesting info on horseback traveling, however: I made myself a day to day plan and map from Tours to Santiago de Compostella, and I would like you al to have a look at it and post some comments.

I have some questiongs concerning my plan. First of al, this plan shows that the actual nr of traveling days will be 68. I would like to know how much time I should plan for rest days or siteseeing days. What about 1 day per week (9 days) and some spare days for problem solving/ilness/etc. Leading to 14 days. Is that realistic?

We plan on living outside most of the time. We are extremely well equipt for all weather types. also we are self-sufficient in the sence that we live of the land. will it be possible to live outdoors like this, or will we get into trouble with the law?

We will however have a follow-up budget that we can use in times of need. I believe it is possible to live on 10 euro per day? (is that about right?) for 82 days that would mean 820 euro. would a budget of 1500 euro suffice? is this comparable to the budgets of the standard pilgrim?

Please read the attachments and let me know if this is doable and where we might encounter problems.

Thanks,

Rachel

Attachments

• routes small.doc
    204 KB · Views: 157
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What a great idea! In Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago by Tim Moore, I got the sense that there are plenty of opportunities for staking out and feeding a horse, at least with a little effort and inquiries to local farmers. Whether that would include tent space, I just do not know. There is already a fire danger alert out for Spain because of dry conditions, so open fires may violate the law. In campgrounds, that should not be a problem, and they have grass and water for the horses as well. France is very rule-oriented, so it might be worth checking the internet on their laws and attitudes.

Your pilgrimage concept is fascinating. I hope you will share your progress on it with us. We all hear about blisters and full albergues. It would be great to hear about the daily activities of using a horse.

I think your cost estimate may be a bit on the short side, if you account for fodder, housing, and the occasional farrier or vet visit for the horse. Grass may be free in a lot of places, but you have to be sure to ask where the common pasture is, or where there is grazeable stubble... and often the local shepherds have first claim, esp. this time of year.

Dozens of people ride the camino every year. They are most often in an economic class of their own, seeing as their somewhat high-maintenance transportation is more costly than shoe leather, and their logistical details have to be carefully worked-out in advance.

Good luck on your plans!
Rebekah

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sorry I can't comment on the cost of maintaining a horse, but if you're asking if 10 euros a day is enough for a person - well yes. You can do it on much less if you eat pasta/rice/couscous plus sardines and a few veg- about 1 euro minimum a meal in this way. I only refer to food costs and nothing else - I expect you'll find free campspots etc, and are not attached to restauraunts and high spending like many pilgs.

Take a gas camping stove ; the petrol ones are good but it's hard to buy petrol in amounts of less than 5 litres. In France, shop at LeaderPrice, Aldi or Lidl. LeaderPrice sells porridge, which isnt always easy to find unless sold at mad prices. Bring this from the UK with you if you can - are in the UK? cant remember.

The distances you mention can only be answered by a horsey person, I think.

I'm a bit concerned when you say you will live off the land.

Have a great time and get back to us about your camino. :D

thanks for the replies.

I take care of the hooves myself, unless problems occur. I have been trimming for 3 years so that will be fine.
Ok. So a budget of 1000-1500 per peson + horse costs. I have no idea what to estimate there. They will get grass off course, but what will you need to calculate concerning daily feed (pellets/oats). Here a huge bag will cost 10 euro. However what will one have to pay for if you buy from local farmers/horseowners/etc.?

When I say "living of the land" I am refering to my bushcraft experience. My partner and I can quite easily find edible plants and roots. this will suffice as an extra snack. However we did take into consideration that this will not always be enough, it is mainly for fun. so we will calculate our budget based on that of every pilgrim. if we are luckily we wont have to use it. here doesn't really ly a problem, we are realistic enough to ensure backup. the problem is in estimating the distance/duration and budget for the horses.

p.s I will definitely post my experiences and help others create their own. but you'll have to whait. We won't be leaving befor 2013:( due to finishing my study and working to earn the budget.

Ray, I met a young British couple in Orisson, who had travelled through part of France and who were hoping to reach Santiago. They had meticulously researched all aspects of regulations etc for horses in both France and Spain, but the unexpected happened. The weather was on the cool side in Roncesvalles, and one of the horses had his snout bitten by a snake. (If it had been warmer, the snake would more likely have got out of the way apparently.) They had to call a vet, and when we last saw them, it seemed like it was only a 50/50 chance that the bitten horse would pull through. We moved on, and never saw this young couple again, so I don't know what happened. I don't say this to put you off, but if you are on a very tight budget, there could be unexpected costs.
Margaret

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks Margaret,

That is indeed another thing to think about. You are absolutely right! I will take this into account for the budget.

Greetings
Rachel

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back