• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

my hardest Camino is now over -- now a question

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015 (CF, 100 miles), June/July 2018 (CP, ~40 miles, too hot!)
Hello fellow pilgrims,

On Friday, August 5, my Camino of the heart came to an end: Jack, my beloved husband of 17 years, died. He survived six months with pancreatic cancer and died at age 69. We had hospice, as well as our housekeeper of 17 years who is also a nurse's aide, as well as his longtime friend of 40 years, here to help. I was and am blessed to have these two women in my life. Their help with Jack's daily needs made all the difference.

So now the question is, what does it take to bring ashes/cremains overseas? I would like very much this summer 2017 to walk the full Camino over the course of the summer, about six or seven weeks, and leave Jack's ashes at the Cruz de Fierro (a la "The Way"). It would be healing to me to do this, to make a full pilgrimage, and to walk in his honor.

Do you have to get permission to bring ashes abroad? Is a visit to a consulate needed? If anyone has experience doing this, please let me know. Also, did you bring the entire box of cremains (that might be nine or 10 pounds -- he was about 250 lbs) or just a portion? What I envision doing (without information, just a thought) is to bring his ashes, scatter them, then mail the box back to myself as a keepsake.

Thank you to everyone who posted such kind words when I found out Jack's diagnosis this past February/March. I was really comforted by your kindness.

Katie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ah, Katie...I'm sorry. A big loss...and clearly you have an idea of how you'll begin to 'digest' it, and the entire experience of what you've just been through.

I know nothing personally that might answer your question. But here are some places to begin your planning:
www.cremationassociation.org/?page=transport
https://www.iccfa.com/.../tools/tsa-rules-transporting-urns-carry-luggage
www.evrmemories.com › Education Center

Buen camino...please know you are not alone. Many of us have walked or are now walking the same road as you are.

I am so sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to you!
As for the practical aspects, have you tried to contact the Spanish embassy in your country? They might be the ones with the best info/background how to help as they will have experiences of how to repatriate remains back to Spain.
Hugs, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am also sorry for your loss. I remember when you first informed us of his illness. I think the camino next summer would be perfect timing, and preparations for it will be therapeutic.

I don't know anything about the legalities of officially transporting human remains across borders, let alone disposing of them in public places in any country, and I would be hesitant to pursue the avenue of official enquiries. You might consider a simpler unofficial approach where you carry a very small container/vial with a symbolic amount of ashes, to be placed wherever you want. I did something like this on the meseta, which I preferred to the Cruz de Ferro. If you carry a small amount in a simple container (for example, a little plastic travel container meant for cosmetics, medications, etc.), you can scatter bits in different places. However, I am aware that some people would prefer a more formal approach to the whole process, so that will depend on your personal style.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So sorry to hear of your loss Kate. Best wishes for your walk next year, with Jack in your heart and watching over you...

I am so glad you chose to touch base again. There aren't enough nuances here to describe the incredible journey you have been on . I am glad that the Camino you promised yourself is still waiting for you and hope it will be healing. My most profound heart to heart hug .
I am bringing a portion of my brother's ashes to walk with me. I will know when it is right to release those ashes and it may be in more than one place
Nanc

Why did you prefer the meseta to the Cruz de Fierro? I'd be interested in your reasons.
I was carrying a small container of my parents, waiting for inspiration. I has cast a few at one early point (I remember the location very clearly but I haven't bothered to find it on a map.) Then in Carrion de los Condes, I got a message that my father-in-law had died. He was 98 but I still wanted to join my husband, so I would get on a train at Sahagun, a day and a half later. Here is a blog post of my last full day on the camino that year. In fact I loved that day and it was very sentimental. I was thinking about people who died at 87, 92 and 98, which is different from your circumstances. I don't know what you will need. I had already been to the Cruz de Ferro once, but I was not so endeared to it. For me, the meseta was more open, free, liberating. The Cruz seemed sorrowful in a contrived way. I guess sometimes you need one, and sometimes the other!

Save a bit until the end, as you won't know where the perfect place will be. Maybe it will just be a quiet place wherever your camino ends.

I am a bit irreverent on these topics. When I passed by the next year, the weather was not so glorious, but I called out "Hi Mom, Hi Dad! See you next time!" (By the way, they had no particular interest in Spain, but that didn't really matter!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Katie,

My heart is with you. My prayers are with you and your Family. That is what this is all about, Family.

I begin my travels to the Camino in just two days. I will begin in Ireland, then England, France and then the Camino, near the end of this month. I will take my Mother's ashes and place them along the Way. Mum and I did watch the movie, many times and she loved to travel. Bt she was 90+ and in decline, knowing that she had her own journey coming.

But one day, as we watched that movie again, she turned to me and said, "I wish I could go with you." I never mentioned that I wanted to go but she knew. So, I told her, "You will go with me Mum."

Now, when the ashes are delivered to you, ensure that you have a letter from the crematorium and a copy of the death certificate with the ashes. These letters are used to identify the ashes. Pack the paperwork and ashes in a waterproof plastic case or box, (I have the ashes in a plastic ziplock bag as well), even Tupperware so the TSA will be able to see via xray what it is. Also, to save some weight and increase the memories, consider placing some of the ashes in places your Husband loved, or somewhere percious to both of you.

That is all. No one will question you. They will understand the Mission you are on and will not interfere.

Hoping this helps.

What a difficult time this must be for you. I know you must miss him. I would advise bringing a portion of his ashes to Spain instead of all. It would be easier logistically and I wouldn't think you'd need anyone's permission. Scatter some in other places closer to home, maybe plant a tree over some of his ashes, too. So sorry for your loss. Doing the Camino in his memory should be a healing experience. All best.

Katie, what a beautiful sharing. And yes, I believe your mother will be with you all the way and hope that that spirit you so gently describe can give you wings
Nanc

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I echo the sympathies of my fellow pilgrims. As for how much the ashes will weigh, well if you remember the movie you will recall the the box of ashes that Tom carried was approximately the size of a loaf of bread. My step-father died on St James Day last year and his ashes were around 3 or 5 kg (say 10 pounds or less). So its just a matter of fitting it (the ashes box) into your load limits for the flight. Just remember to double wrap the parcel - you don't want any spillage inside your backpack.
As for the legalities - sorry I am also in the dark, but given that the ashes are a natural, organic compound they will bio-degrade into the soil. As for where - yes the Cruz is a place of significance, but you will also see a number of small crosses along the way (in memory of pilgrims who have passed away).

Buen Camino to you for next year.

I can't help with your questions, @CaminoKate0214 (although the suggestion about taking just a handful /token amount of ashes sounds like a good idea), however I can send you my sincere thoughts and prayers for this dark period in your life.
Ultreia, Suzanne

Katie,

My heart is with you. My prayers are with you and your Family. That is what this is all about, Family.

I begin my travels to the Camino in just two days. I will begin in Ireland, then England, France and then the Camino, near the end of this month. I will take my Mother's ashes and place them along the Way. Mum and I did watch the movie, many times and she loved to travel. Bt she was 90+ and in decline, knowing that she had her own journey coming.

But one day, as we watched that movie again, she turned to me and said, "I wish I could go with you." I never mentioned that I wanted to go but she knew. So, I told her, "You will go with me Mum."

Now, when the ashes are delivered to you, ensure that you have a letter from the crematorium and a copy of the death certificate with the ashes. These letters are used to identify the ashes. Pack the paperwork and ashes in a waterproof plastic case or box, (I have the ashes in a plastic ziplock bag as well), even Tupperware so the TSA will be able to see via xray what it is. Also, to save some weight and increase the memories, consider placing some of the ashes in places your Husband loved, or somewhere percious to both of you.

That is all. No one will question you. They will understand the Mission you are on and will not interfere.

Hoping this helps.

Hi Michelle,

I am in Ireland and am delighted to hear you are beginning your Camino here. If I can be of any assistance whatsoever, please let me know. Maybe a friendly face to meet you at the airport or show you around? Anything at all you need, just let me know. I return to the Camino myself next week on the 17th and I am both excited and a little apprehensive. Buen Camino!

Kind regards,

Fiona

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Im so sorry to hear of your loss. At a time like this no one wants to deal with regulations and bureaucracy but I would suggest that you check the website of the airline you are planning to use. In addition to international regulations, airlines often differ on the carriage of cremated remains. Some specify that they must go in the hold while others allow you to bring it in carry on luggage provided it is in an approved container. Better to know for certain rather than have an unpleasant surprise at check-in.

May your journey bring you new strength and peace.

Buen camino . . .

Hello fellow pilgrims,

On Friday, August 5, my Camino of the heart came to an end: Jack, my beloved husband of 17 years, died. He survived six months with pancreatic cancer and died at age 69. We had hospice, as well as our housekeeper of 17 years who is also a nurse's aide, as well as his longtime friend of 40 years, here to help. I was and am blessed to have these two women in my life. Their help with Jack's daily needs made all the difference.

So now the question is, what does it take to bring ashes/cremains overseas? I would like very much this summer 2017 to walk the full Camino over the course of the summer, about six or seven weeks, and leave Jack's ashes at the Cruz de Fierro (a la "The Way"). It would be healing to me to do this, to make a full pilgrimage, and to walk in his honor.

Do you have to get permission to bring ashes abroad? Is a visit to a consulate needed? If anyone has experience doing this, please let me know. Also, did you bring the entire box of cremains (that might be nine or 10 pounds -- he was about 250 lbs) or just a portion? What I envision doing (without information, just a thought) is to bring his ashes, scatter them, then mail the box back to myself as a keepsake.

Thank you to everyone who posted such kind words when I found out Jack's diagnosis this past February/March. I was really comforted by your kindness.

Katie

My condolences. Thinking of you.

Hello fellow pilgrims,

Katie
I just want you to know that, ever since you announced this "Camino" a few months back, I have prayed for you and your husband every day. I "took" you on the Via Francigena with me, as well. I shall continue to pray. God bless.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear Katie -

My condolences on the loss of your beloved Jack- how blessed you both were to have 17 wonderful years together.

Something you might like to consider as an alternative regarding Jack's ashes ... Why not bring, say, three of those tiny glass bottles with the cork stoppers that you can buy in craft shops/on Amazon etc and then put some of Jack's ashes in those bottles to bring to Spain. Seal up one of those bottles permanently, add a leather thong to make it into a pendant and then wear it on your Camino. Your precious Jack will be with you and he'll be close to your heart for the whole time you're on The Way. A very small amount of the cremains from the other two tiny bottles can be scattered very sparingly at places which speak to you, and of course you'll have the ashes to scatter at the Cruz de Ferro.

The majority of his cremains can be with you at home and you may find that on the Camino that more opportunities for honouring him, by placement of his ashes in sacred and special places to you, will happen over time.

With deep sympathy -

Jenny

Dear Katie,
My sincere condolences and prayers, I feel your sadness knowing what a hard periiod in your life you have just had.
Personally I haven't carried ashes on the Camino however on my recent walk I was for a time walking with a man who carried specific items of a loved one and he left them in places that he thought resonated with him and his departed. Theses were not expensive items, one was a stone from the garden, one was a scarf with a note attached so that while it was blowing in the breeze it represented freedom. The note allowed others to know why it had been left. Something like this can eliminate all the legalities that you could face with carrying the ashes.

Last March we took my brother's ashes to the Camino and there was not a problem. I had him in my back pack in a place where I could easily reach incase there was a question, but it never came up.
I am sorry about your loss. I am praying for you, your family and friends.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am always in awe of the care provider. I know the energy, love, and enormity of the job--of conducting one's loved one through the mysteries.

Please accept my sincere condolences.

I also suggest that you opt for a portion of the cremains, or definitely divide out a portion. If you get separated from your loved one (checked luggage can disappear) you don't want to lose him forever. Keep one portion in carry-on--the smaller portion. Keep the larger portion in the checked bag. That way you are safe.

I am always in favor of checking with the airlines.

Deb

Hello again Katie
Heartfelt sorrow for your loss... but what a wonderful and faithful compañero you have been on your beloved Jack's final journey.

Transporting ashes internationally is quite common. I seem to remember that you are from Los Angeles so the Cremation Association of North America (CANA) might be a good initial source of information.

Lots of good advice offered here on the Forum and the main points of whether you bring all of Jack's ashes and which processes you follow will unfold for you in time. You'll know what's right for you.

Be gentle with yourself as you prepare for your next Camino...

Go Well

Hi, Katie,

I've been following your courageous journey on FB, and I've been away the past week. So I'm just learning of Jack's death here. I don't have any suggestions for you about your question, but I just want to say how I've admired from afar your tremendous courage, love, and honesty in your journey of the past few months.

You have taught me a lot about love, compassion, care giving, and acceptance of what is hardest to accepts. I look forward to keeping in touch with you on your journey. My prayers are with you.
Blessings, Priscilla

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Sorry about your loss. If you start the Camino from St Jean in France then it's easy. All you need to do is get a certificate from the crematorium to say you're carrying ashes. They need to be placed in your hold luggage. That's it. I did it and the only problem was a fear that my hold would be lost. But it was just a fear and my baggage was one of the first to come out of the automated belt!

Hello fellow pilgrims,

Katie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So sorry for you loss! My mother, who was a Spanish National, died in 2008. I too had her cremated and took her back to Spain--scattered her ashes near Malaga into the Mediterranean. What I did was make an appointment with the Spanish Consulate and bring her ashes. They took her ashes into a private room, with all reverence and respect they inspected the ashes for contraband. They then resealed the box, wrapped the box and placed a ribbon around the box of the Spanish flag, then the Ambassador put his wax seal on the box. They gave me the credentials for travel and off I went. No problem anywhere. At the airports, going through security, everyone just passed me through when they realized I was brining my mother home.
My suggestion is to go to your consulate and find out there protocol or if you'll need to go to the Spanish consulate.
This is a wonderful thing you are doing! Good luck and Buen Camino!!!

@CaminoKate0214
I do not know where you live or the regulations there which govern the transport of cremated remains. Various suggestions have been made above about wrapping the parcel, etc. Some of these do not correspond to how we transported my fathers remains across the country to bury them with my mother. Ask the company who was in charge of the cremation about regulations regarding documentation, packaging etc. They will undoubtedly have come across this situation many times. You might also follow Ana Maria Miner's suggestions about consulting the Spanish consulate, but I suggest that you decide where you are flying to to begin your camino, as I am not sure how the airport authorities in Paris, for example, would respond to a parcel signed and sealed by a Spanish consulate. It will all work out. Follow your heart as to how much to take with you and where to leave it. God bless you and support you in your sorrow.

As a former airline employee, I know that the airlines know about the legal restrictions of carrying cremated remains into another country. I would check with them first.

So sorry for your loss. I have walked the Camino twice with my husband and am very afraid of the day when I may have to do it alone. Prayers and good thoughts your way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello fellow pilgrims,

Katie
Hi Katie I am so sorry for your loss. It is a wonderful thing you are doing.
I am taking the ashes of my parents on this journey with me. My intention is to spread them at the end. I found a woman who made glass bubbles for Jewlery. I contacted her and she was able to encase some of their ashes in a bubble I will around my neck until Finisterre. Here is her information.
Melissa Schmidt
Contempory Glass Jewlery
melissa@toast.net
Buen Camino

Fiona, here it is nearly 7 PM on my last day in Dublin and I did not get your very kind note till now. I am staying at Isaac's Hostel, 3-5 Frenchman's LANE, here in North Dublin, not far from the bus station. I will rent a car tomorrow to visit the birthplaces of my ancestors in North Tipperary, come back Aug 15 to catch the ferry to Holyhead and then on to London, Paris and then St. Jean by Aug 27.

Love to chat a bit if you have time. I will be at the Hostel for the rest of the evening, leaving about 9 AM to the car hire. I am in Rm 219. Not sure if that will help.

my heart goes out to you Katie, it's 2017 now and I wonder if you have set off on your very personnel pilgrimage yet. The reason I ask is that I also lost my love to panceratic cancer, though the pain and grief I am mindful of the promise I made to Scott to take him back to Spain for his last Camino. I now have to sort out the practicalities of taking his ashes on the plane, any advice would be welcome.
Hel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I took my brothers ashes to spread at several sight last year finishing at Finisterra. Check your airlines, actually we did not ant had no problem but we have been overlooked. For me the remains added an additional 2.5 lbs. It was very special for me.

My wife and I took my brothers ashes to spread at several sight last year finishing at Finisterra. Check your airlines, actually we did not ant had no problem but we have been overlooked. For me the remains added an additional 2.5 lbs. It was very special for me.
Thanks, I have the travel certificate for the remains and it's hard to see the strong man I loved reduced to a 4.5kg sealed box sitting on the bookshelf by the Camino guides, but I know I can carry him. It's not the physical weight, more the emotional weight of walking without him by my side.

I had heard that the stones at the cross of iron are removed when it becomes too much?
This may only be a rumour but it would be issue to have the ashes removed to an unkown location
Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Katie
I have not read through all the other messages - I started but then they felt like they were personal, for you, so I scrolled on to add my condolences. I pray that you will be blessed as you walk, that your healing will begin and that you find a deep shalom as life continues. May your weeping and laughter both be therapeutic.

Thanks, I have the travel certificate for the remains and it's hard to see the strong man I loved reduced to a 4.5kg sealed box sitting on the bookshelf by the Camino guides, but I know I can carry him. It's not the physical weight, more the emotional weight of walking without him by my side.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Hel. I have read many of your posts on your previous Caminos with Scott. My heart goes out to you on your next Camino with his remains .

I had heard that the stones at the cross of iron are removed when it becomes too much?
This may only be a rumour but it would be issue to have the ashes removed to an unkown location
Can anyone confirm or refute this?

hello @scott the farmer my understanding - from previous posts about the Cruz de Ferro - is that you are correct and that the site is regularly cleared. I am sure that @Anniesantiago can confirm this.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
my heart goes out to you Katie, it's 2017 now and I wonder if you have set off on your very personnel pilgrimage yet. The reason I ask is that I also lost my love to panceratic cancer, though the pain and grief I am mindful of the promise I made to Scott to take him back to Spain for his last Camino. I now have to sort out the practicalities of taking his ashes on the plane, any advice would be welcome.

I didn't actually even travel this summer; I've had to stay put and deal with back taxes. I started to renovate my condo (which is large), and I have needed to stick around for that as well. It's been a very transitional summer of having som grief days where I didn't move much at all, plus dealing with renovations, refinance, my contractor, and getting the teaching year all finished, along with getting observed officially this year. Also in January I had ankle surgery to repair the torn tendon from the 80s and to take out the gigantic bone spur that formed when I walked the Camino. So right now, I do want to get back and walk the Camino or another long trail. I just know it will have to be next summer, 2018. I'll keep you all posted.

Hel
Hi I am sorry for your lost. I wanted to take my parents ashs to Finastirre after walking the FC. I found a Jewler who encased their ashes into a sphere about 1.5 inches to wear on a leather lace. I had carried my moms ashes from Canada to Tx and did not like how customs handles her ashes. Unfortunately I lost the sphere in Madrid but a friend was going to meet me in Santiago after and brought some more of their ashes in her makeup case. I think you may need letters to carry ashes. If you are interested in this I can see if I can find her information.

Hel and Kate, sorry for your losses.

I work at a foreign Embassy (not Spanish), and would highly recommend that, rather than relying on info you get online, get in contact with the Spanish Consulate near you to ask for regulations about transporting ashes. They vary from country to country.

Spanish Consulate in Los Angeles: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/LOSANGELES/en/Pages/inicio.aspx

Contacts for Embassy and Consulates in New Zealand: https://www.mfat.govt.nz/en/countries-and-regions/europe/spain/embassy-of-spain/

There will be also be restrictions in different airlines and airports. Suggestions above, about keeping the ashes in transparent containers, are sound. You also have to consider the weight of the ashes and the containers... Would your loved ones want you to carry it? Part of it? Also, think carefully of what you intend to leave at Cruz de Ferro or other places. Objects such as photos, urns, boxes are often "cleaned away" by the locals because they end up accumulating to much at some parts of the Way.

I hope you find all the info you need and you can walk a peaceful, respectful and meaningful Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm so sorry for your loss, though glad to see that you seem to be coming to terms with it.

Legally, there are only two particulars that I'm specifically aware of -- first, it is illegal to transport human remains (and ashes do count) without the necessary authorisation, which you should arrange over there (it's mainly an administrative hassle and its related expense -- the airline will probably be able to help you with at least basic information for the cost of a phone call or two, as they will be quite familiar with these situations, and they may in fact be able to arrange the whole thing for you ; you could not transport them in your ordinary luggage) ; second, it is absolutely illegal in France for you to carry such remains in this manner, notwithstanding the right to for example bring them to an undertaker or simply take them home pending some later decision. I do not know the Spanish Law about this, but you'd certainly be breaking French Law if you tried to start a Camino in France carrying them, particularly as you would be carrying them over an International border in that case, as this would be an aggravating factor. The only time I've had ashes in my hands, I took them immediately to the undertaker as the Law requires (after some years of mistreatment of them by siblings :( ).

Finally, leaving them at Cruz de Ferro would de jure be a burial, and you should look at Spanish Law and perhaps consult a lawyer to discover if you have the legal right to do this. I would be unsurprised if you haven't, sorry, but I have no idea how Spanish Law establishes one's rights and obligations in these matters ... :(

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Nelia L Keiser, post: 540638, member: 55819"I found a Jewler who encased their ashes into a sphere ...Unfortunately I lost the sphere in Madrid... I think you may need letters to carry ashes...[/QUOTE]
Sorry you lost your ashes this way. I was worried about loosing them in transit but Scott said if this happended to his ashes then not to worry, be wouldn't mind if they went on a mystery trip.

Scott took his fathers ashes back to Scotland in 2012 and it was pretty straight forward then, a few extra issues with customs over hazardous goods but do-able with the right container, death and cremation certificates, which Scott arranged before he died. Some airlines make you take ashes as carry on, which increases security checks during transit, while others make you put them in the hold, which can be a worry and issue for those whose religious beliefs require remains to be attended at all times.

I am not planning to scatter ashes along the way, which can constitute a burial, rather at sea at Finisterre which is fine (although they stress you are not allowed to burn your shoes at the cape which is understandable).

Katie I hope things come right for you and you get to go next year as per your revised plans. I've had to put my trip back to next year due to my doctors concerns, who knew broken hearted was a real thing.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back