• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My heart has been blown open

manifestdestinyLISA

Just wanted to check in and say this has been the most consistantly wild and wonderful journey, I am now in villafranco, missing so many pilgrims that have walked in, out, and with me...so in love with so many..and incredibly blessed..hard to believe only 7-8 days until Santiago, soaking it all in..I never could have imagined, been crying because my heart is so full..and overflowing..with joy and healing..taking it slow and enjoying every minute...may all pilgrims past present and future be blessed..

Lisa

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My sentiments exactly when I walked the Camino in May and June of this year.

Don’t make the mistake I did. I wanted to live in the moment. As a result, I discouraged all attempts by my fine and beautiful friends to continue our relationship beyond the Camino by refusing them my contact information.

But … I miss them now.

They are forever lost to me in the mists of time.

To my eternal regret.

Lisa, I'm right behind you in Cacabelos!
You are such a positive, up beat person!
You are a breath if fresh air. You attract
Like minded friends!!
We've met some of the same people
along the way and I have some if their
Contact info if you want it!!
All the best as you head toward O'Cebreiro!!
Joan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lisa, It is difficult to describe to those who have not walked the Camino the joy and camaraderie you described so well. One year after completing the Camino, my life is still changed by the experience.

I was fortunate enough to get contact information for many of my friends on the Camino and have kept in touch with many of them. Because of the Camino, I now have friends around the world.

Enjoy this last week...Galicia is spectacular.

Buen Camino

I am incredibly happy for you Lisa. I love how you are taking it all in and appreciating every step. The Camino is such a special place. It seems you are one of the peregrinas making it just as wonderful for every one else.

Wild. Wonderful. Blessed. Full heart. All of life's days should be like this.

¡Ultreia!

oh cant belive I am only 77 kilometers from Santiago...missing so many pelegrinos, this last stretch has been difficult to find time to reflect and let my heart be as liberated, more groups and less process time, MORE LONELY THOUGH I NEED THE SILENCE & TIME ALONE...but still had a wonderful night tonight again at the alberge WITH MANY LIVELY AND LOVELY PILGRIMS, so missing everyone already..cant imagine not retiring to a bunk next to friendly faces, sharing meals and providential moments..I know i can do this at home, but still the moment is its own right now, can never be duplicated only embraced...i have lost track of many pelegrino pelegrinas...and my heart misses them so much already! PLANNING ON ARRIVING IN SANTIAGO SUNDAY WALKING AT NIGHT WITH FRIENDS AND SEE BOTUFUMERO SORRY NOT YELLING CANT FIND CAP LOCK BUTTON :) ANY TIPS ON WHERE TO STAY FOR THE NEXT 3 DAYS? i THINK SUNDAY WILL BE NUTS IN SANTIAGO WITH ALL TOUR GROUPS ETC..REALLY ENJOYING THE TRANQUILITY OF WALKING OFF SCHEDULE & STAGES..HAS BEEN MORE INTIMATE...FEELING ALSO LIKE MY HEART IS STARTING TO CLOSE SOME..AS SANTIAGO GETS CLOSER..PROTECTION MODE..MISSING ONE PELEGRINO IN PARTICULAR WHO I HAVE NOT SEEN IN A WEEK AFTER 4-5 DAYS OF CONTACT..THE CAMINO CONTINUES TO UNFOLD AND HOPEFULLY MY HEART TOO...bLESSINGS TO ALL..lISA GOOD NIGHT

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lisa, How well we know that feeling. It is a joy to read your posts and relive not only the thrill of that first approach to Santiago but also the dread of arriving before you're ready.

It is my belief that people are sent to us (and we to them) for a reason. Sometimes they are in our lives for merely an hour, sometimes for a week, sometimes for a lifetime. Not every contact has to be forever and letting go is also important.

Having said that, some of my fellow pilgrims are now among my closest friends even though we live on different continents. It is a wonderful experience to meet people in such a nurturing, open-hearted environment and I hope you are able to renew your most important contacts.

Reaching Santiago is overwhelming, and all the beauties and sadnesses, encounters and adieus are part of the camino... It is very touching to read and to follow your notes, Lisa - bringing me back to my own first camino and the dear peregrinos I met -, but especially because you share with us your very inner thoughts and feelings so sincerely and courageously!

All of them, "my peregrinos", have still their place in my heart, as yours have in your heart, even after now more than 3 years, memories are "vivid"...
Some of them, you will probably meet again in Santiago, even people you believe are far behind (or in front of ) you - this was my experience.
Some, you might meet again some time later on this (or another) pilgrims' forum...

I wish you all the best, buen camino and a gorgeous time to come,

FatmaG

oñly 39 k to go and meeting up with some pelegrinos that were lost, walked 40k today very slowly and taking in the day...my heart has been continuing to open and close ever so gently..still meeting new pilgrims that started when i did but never met...today and yesterday walked with Jose from AÑDALUCIA& LOOKING FORWARD TO NIGHT WALK INTO SANTIAGO AND MIXED EMOTIONS AS A FRIEÑD HAS TO LEAVE CAMINO EARLY TOMORROW JUST MISSING GOING INTO SANTIAGO:::SHES FEELS COMPLETE AND CREDEÑCIAL CANT COMPARE TO WHATS IN HER HEART_ MISS HER; MY HEART STILL IN THE MOMENTS::DONT WANT TO STOP WALKING OR THE BEAUTIFUL INTERACTIONS THAT COME EACH MOMENT::TO SLEEP I GO; AS I CRAWL INTO MY TOP BUNK IN THE DARK! IM QUITE LIKING THE TOP BUNK AS I HAVE ONLY HAD THE BOTTOM 2 times, also will sleep in tomorrow as its only a short day..BUENES NOCHES:: LISA

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ah, I know what you all mean! I am on day 22 now and getting towards the end of the meseta. The challenges of the Camino are great- mental, physical and emotional- but I haven't felt so alive and so purely connected to myself and the world for years. Today I'm having one if those funny days on the Camino- do we all experience them or is it just me?!- where I have seen few pilgrims ( and wonder where they all are today!) and have found a pension to stay in as the albergue got full of a large group of a noisy teenage school group (!). I'm the only one here and this place is a mansion and if I understood her correctly, dates from the 11th century! Whew! Will be rattling around here! I have what the pharmacist calls 'pilgrims tendinitis' so in that weird 'can't walk anymore today' zone! Anyway- yes the Camino is amazing and I feel like I'm so in the moment. I lost clan of amigos a week ago but there are always new people to chat to.
Xx :D

Sometimes I absolutely LOVE this forum - these posts, ahh, these posts

life is good

Buen Camino to you all - Joy indeed!

Ok, so I made it to Santiago on Sunday and was greeted by many MIA pilgrims that were one day ahead of me...so nice they were all showered , relaxed and sipping coffees! They also on the way to walkto finesterre...the mass was a little disappointing as it was a total zoo, with people streaming in and around continually without stopping and flashes going off...still I found some beautiful moments and especially when I turned around and found more pilgrims standing right behind me..that I lost and found numerous times...more introductions and fun in the bars and alberge...then monday morning greeted more pilgrims that were behind..and pondered & puttered around the poetically rainy & melancholy Santiago..bittersweet hellos and goodbyes...Jumped on bus to Finesterre at 7pm...awoke and walked to the end of the world finding more lost pilgrim amigos...had my little rock on the cliff to hide a while and a young woman with ukele was playing Bruce Springsteen "The River"...perfect for a reflective pelegrino from NJ, USA! Walked some little trails...and down down down the steep cliff..majestic fog, mist, clouds and Sea! Had to find a little private rocky zone to skinny dip and be renewed..then back on bus late afternoon after delish lunch by the docks..coming back into Santiago town..meeting up the pelegrinos I spent most time with at the last moment of the evening...and this continued another full day...I got my hair cut, slamdunked my 2 t shirts and 2 pairs of well worn and mishapen convertible pants into the recycle bin...after washing of course! Then a quick shop for jeans, boots & sweater- felt like a new woman..more goodbyes..and Im definitly much better at hellos...this morning was hoping to see the only one rogue pelegrino that I did not get to properly embrace & greet in Santiago, jumped on bus to Fatima..and I am now in Tomar...and looking forward to some needed transition, alone & lonely time..my heart is aching and blessed by soooooooo much love joy and life spirit...good night...we shall see what Tomar & Fatima bring this weekend..a camino cyclist promised to show me around!Pace Bene, Lisa missing one particular pilgrim who is MIA...incomplete...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Marvellous ....

...poetically rainy & melancholy Santiago..bittersweet hellos and goodbyes......

perfect!

A Buen Camino! :wink:

The meseta

I love the meseta! I'm here right now with the wonderous space and huge sky- ahhhhhhh!

Heather writer enjoy the ride...and soon there will be more green and mountains ...sending you prayers and good wishes...for a blessed camino!! I went to the Dr. in Leon because I developed the beginning of bronchitis..the doc saw me right away at the hospital ER but it felt more like a reg office( tI think the hospital was near St Francis park)...she gave me script and as soon as I started meds My cough, stopped...and then completly gone! It really speeded up the healing process- with the rainy wet weather I needed to take care asap. Another pilgrim translated for me to the Dr. so, maybe when you get to Leon if you still need it, see the Dr for your tendonitis....there was no charge for pilgrims.."A positive nothing is better than a negative everything!" Lisa

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ok so, Tomar is lovely little town. Love the castle, have seen a few on the camino but The Templar castle in Tomar is legit, Convento Christo, apparently the Templars protected the monks...there is some good entact history of both the templars and monks and a big conference going on now regarding templars, castles etc...very serious with a professional panel etc..Fatima was very beautiful with the candlelight procession last night for the apparition anniversary, mass, today the farewell to Our Lady..had to over ride the tourist shops and packed, if not even sometimes pushy crowd..but still very beautfiul...Transportation is tricky here..the bus is unreliable...its only 35k walking from Fatima to Tomar if you are on the camino..but the taxis charge 35e and you are stuck if the bus does not come or you need to be somewhere at a specific time- even with thousands attending Fatima Festivities this weekend no extra buses etc...also a surf competition going on an hour from here for the weekend..post camino blues ...not many pilgrims coming through Tomar at this time..and though I am happy to be sleeping in the same bed for day #3, Im ready to go home as well...the pastries here are delish, not many english speaking..some spanish has been helpful..but much more difficult to learn portugese..wish I could see more and communicate better..its a beautiful country...my camino is still unfolding..and I really want to go home now..and be in one place long enough to let the camino continue to do its thing and integrate...looking forward to a home made smoothie and a bread free week...and seeing friends and family.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
congratulations on a camino well done. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I have been suffering "camino burnout" for a couple of weeks now, I haven´t wanted to see or hear of another pilgrim or camino! But reading this thread brings me back to what it´s really all about, and renews my faith that there are still people of good will out there walking, still finding so much wonderfulness among one another.

Reb

El Toro and Torridor

Today rain in Tomar which is fine with me..I like when the rain matches my transitions or goodbyes...decided to take train to Lisbon today to be able to make my early morning flight tomorrow..

I am staying at SMILE hostel in Lisbon where two pilgrims I met from Canada are also staying it looks great and they are loving it...I am excited to see them tonight and bunk for my last night before going home...

I am still having difficulty letting go of the one peregrino that I did not see in Santiago...feel a certain incompleteness..and hope to find meaning and understanding in it...I truly miss everyone so much..

especially a certain El Toro that challenged me to bull fight with love, passion , tranquility and gentle kindness and acceptance . Even the Torridor is vulnerable and must fall at times..changed..and more aware of love & generosity & weakeness.. more importantly the bull ...teaches and perfects El torridor with some sacrifice & even outwitting!, El torridor cant harm a smart, independent dancing bull but only kiss and love and dance with the bull- even if it looks like a fight...its really a well choregraphed but improv dance..takes much practice, communication, love and understanding...OLE: Buen Camino! I think Ill stay in this metaphor for a while today...

Lisbon is my new favorite city...visited st jorge castle at night...beautiful...got locked in Lisbon cathedral..like lights out, alarm set , door locked with another american from Georgia..while looking at amazing dig of Roman foundation...had to yell out HOLA out of 1000 year old window to guy on cell phone at cafe!...he got someone to unlock us after 35 minutes...the textures and Fado music make it very hard to leave Lisbon, Portugal!! ...hostel is really sweet..you would never know from outside but has kitchen, couch table, showers very clean..beds clean and very homey sharing a room with one bunk and bed for 14 e. Met canadian pilgrim friends here...had delightful dinner and now retiring to bed after an amazing send off..Mass at St Mary Magdalene Church lovely....Adios Portugal, Espana, France and El Camino..thank you, Obrigada, Gracias, Au revoir......Merci xoxo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We never really know the type of relationships we may develop on the Camino. I walked with some pilgrims just a few hours and felt such gratitude for their words, their thoughts and their sharing of their own stories. I've walked with pilgrims for days, and felt a bond that was built on sharing, laughing, comparing life experiences and Camino joys. I've walked with 5 very special pilgrims (and a donkey) who have become very close friends. Two of whom came to visit my home for 2 weeks (in Ottawa Canada) and three with whom I will restart the Camino a second time this coming April.

The Camino offers so much to us, not only during the journey itself, but also when we return home (which for me was a true HUGE challenge...) I knew, early on in my Camino journey, that I would be returning to it. Just as strongly was the feeling that I got when I first was "called" by the Camino.

I'm very fortunate to be able to return - but in the event I couldn't for whatever reason, I would somehow honor the journey by leveraging what I learned, about others, and about myself, in my day to day life.

The Camino is a GIFT - nothing less. To have the opportunity to do the journey in the first place is a true blessing. The rest, including repeat visits are just icing on the cake - - I think the first Camino experience will always be, for many of us, the best one...

Live your experience in your today world - this is a way to honor the Camino! And you never know, you could find yourself lacing those boots up, slipping your pack over your shoulders and thinking to yourself "Ultreia" with a smile from ear to ear...

Aldy!

Thank you for your encouragement & simpatico! Still walking the camino here in Ohio...my boots work in the winter snow too! Pilgrims I met in Sept/Oct are still only now arriving back to there homes from extended travel post camino! So much joy and love to hear about everyones journey and receive pictures..praying for everyone I met, as they have a way of showing up in my heart when I kneel to pray :)

My home camino is def off stage and time! The way I like it! I do think my approach to life and general peace & gratitude is continuing post camino, I have been praying a rosary daily, going to daily mass ( the camino I went 3-4x a week which before I left would go just once) getting ready to do a 30 Ignatian Spiritual Exercise retreat...7-8 people have been asking me 10000 questions and are stirring up desire to start walking...loving & missing & in reg contact with pilgrims met along the way...possibly hospitalera training in the next two months..if the door opens ....the urgency to do the camino when I did was truly a blessing...as I am very sensitive to world events and feel better prepared as the camino continues to teach me and guide me....Be Blessed! Lisa

Don't know if this is the right place to throw in my two cents worth but here goes. My first Camino was over so quickly, Santiago was seemingly just over the next ridge and we rushed along to arrive. The second and third times were much much slower, the Camino experience was cherished and we didn't want it to end, ever, the calendar and flight booking finally caused us to arrive. Now I am planning to walk only half a camino Le Puy to Pamplona and next year, 2014 Pamplona to Santiago. It will be a new experience and since this will be the first Camino I will not complete, a curious feeling. I am interested to see the similarities and to see how this plan affects my outlook. The heartbreak? When I arrive back home and must confront what is usually considered by others to be reality.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back