• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Husband has Jogger's Nipple

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Sadly, I am the type of girl that has had plenty of fun with this today but for my poor husband it's not so funny. We've had a quick search and (carefully filtered the results!) and found that this is a common problem and is often refereed to as Jogger's or Runner's Nipple.

In short his nipples are very very sore... and red.

The solution we've read is use Vaseline and taping and he wants to know if the Vaseline leaves a messy/greasy stain on clothing, and worried he'll end up looking like he's breast feeding? And also if he tapes, which kind of tape... he has a lot of body hair so he is nervous about using anything too sticky. :oops:

Any suggestions would be very welcome

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I always think the best way is to cover them with tape, I use 3m but there are many out there to choose from. He needn't worry too much about the hairy chest after a few days the hair has gone. It has worked for me but then everyone is different:D

I always think the best way is to cover them with tape, I use 3m but there are many out there to choose from. He needn't worry too much about the hairy chest after a few days the hair has gone. It has worked for me but then everyone is different:D

I'm sorry, but why do I want to say 'WAKA! WAKA! WAKA!?"

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Duct Tape. The really, really strong stuff. And a wooden spoon.
About five inches of duct tape. One inch on the nipple, the other
four inches folded back on themselves to leave you with a good 2
inches of tape to grasp hold of when you want to rip it off.

Joggers nipple is not a fun condition, at least not for the sufferer, apparently it's hilarious for your friends when they see two dots of blood on your t-shirt, I need new friends.

For me the key is to avoid cotton, embroidered badges/designs and sweat.

... apparently it's hilarious for your friends when they see two dots of blood on your t-shirt, I need new friends.

oooh no that's not good... yes new friends! Both me and my husband have chuckled about this today because we went for a walk and he's sore but to get to the point where the skin is bleeding... well that's not a chuckling matter... ooh that sounds so sore :(

I think he's going to try a tab of Vaseline and a little tape... hopefully that will do the trick.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The runner's nipple is a quite common annoyance among the trail and ultra-trail runners.
To simply and effectively prevent it we apply a cross of paper band-aid on the nipples.
That product is easy (and painless) to remove and it allows 100% the transpiration of the skin.
No need to put vaseline!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What type of shirt is he wearing? I use to have some trouble with this when I wore cotton shirts. I now wear Under Armour Heat Gear t-shirts and have not had this problem. I’ve heard of some wearing bandages for protection.

im tempted to write "luxury problem" but after 4 caminos it sounds like im missing out on something. you dont think it has to do with the shirt he is wearing, like too tight or wrong material? maybe walking just makes him feel good? just kidding ;-)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sadly, I am the type of girl that has had plenty of fun with this today but for my poor husband it's not so funny. We've had a quick search and (carefully filtered the results!) and found that this is a common problem and is often refereed to as Jogger's or Runner's Nipple.

The solution we've read is use Vaseline and taping and he wants to know if the Vaseline leaves a messy/greasy stain on clothing, and worried he'll end up looking like he's breast feeding? And also if he tapes, which kind of tape... he has a lot of body hair so he is nervous about using anything too sticky. :oops:

Tape can work, but the adhesive can create its own unique side-effects. Bodyglide, and other similar products are highly effective and do not stain clothing with oily, greasy stains.

Buying new gear and shirts are all good suggestions except when your on the walk already. I'm happier to have a bit of pulled hair on my chest (I'm hairy too) then to have chaffed nipples. they take the fun out of walking... Yes it's funny when there are not my nipples. Wishing you well
Buen Camino

Folks thank you so much for the suggestions... it would appear that this is more common that we thought. And to be fair to my poor husband, his nipples are still really red and sore even today :( So I'm feeling quite sorry for him. We only walked 10km yesterday and wore our usual camino clothes but it was cold and he was only walking in his shirt (no fleece)... we're guessing that feeling cold exacerbated the problem? He says he's had it before but not so bad?

To simply and effectively prevent it we apply a cross of paper band-aid on the nipples. That product is easy (and painless) to remove and it allows 100% the transpiration of the skin.
No need to put vaseline!

Thanks for this... he's going to order some.

What type of shirt is he wearing? I use to have some trouble with this when I wore cotton shirts. I now wear Under Armour Heat Gear t-shirts and have not had this problem. I’ve heard of some wearing bandages for protection.

He was wearing a craghopper shirt and says it is worse than a t-shirt. I have a feeling he won't be wearing this one much again whilst walking.

Tape can work, but the adhesive can create its own unique side-effects. Bodyglide, and other similar products are highly effective and do not stain clothing with oily, greasy stains.

I had some bodyglide in my 'walking kit' for blisters... he has used this today. We're not walking today but he can still feel the soreness with his 'work shirt' touching his skin.

Buying new gear and shirts are all good suggestions except when your on the walk already. I'm happier to have a bit of pulled hair on my chest (I'm hairy too) then to have chaffed nipples. they take the fun out of walking... Yes it's funny when there are not my nipples. Wishing you well Buen Camino

Paul, you're right it was funny yesterday and we chuckled a lot, but honestly I do feel a bit guilty today as it really is quite sore and red. I had no idea it would be such a problem. Feeling quite sad for all you chaps that suffer from this now!

Thanks to everyone who's offered such great ideas.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is a friction burn so Vaseline and covering should work. If you have an elastic bandage you can try wrapping that around his chest to avoid the tape. Hope he’s better soon.

As a runner we always use body glide or a very good product is trailtoes. I used this in my 50 mile race and didn't get any blisters or chafing. Hope these suggestions help.

Buying new gear and shirts are all good suggestions except when your on the walk already. I'm happier to have a bit of pulled hair on my chest (I'm hairy too) then to have chaffed nipples. they take the fun out of walking... Yes it's funny when there are not my nipples. Wishing you well
Buen Camino

Since Spain has is a modern European nation, gear and equipment and clothing are easily purchased while on Camino. Vaseline and other anti-chafing products similar to BodyGlide are at many of the pharmacies along the Way. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had some bodyglide in my 'walking kit' for blisters... he has used this today. We're not walking today but he can still feel the soreness with his 'work shirt' touching his skin.
Ouch, I quite understand that. It's more to keep it from happening than as an ameliorant. Things will heal, and then BodyGlide would be effective against it happening again. Ouch...

Use Bepanthen. Brilliant for healing and oily. Vasilene is only petrol based oil. Useless. Shave around the nipple to avoid painless replacement of a plaster. Use a cotton plaster, not plastic, to allow breathing when sweating

Use Bepanthen. Brilliant for healing and oily. Vasilene is only petrol based oil. Useless. Shave around the nipple to avoid painless replacement of a plaster. Use a cotton plaster, not plastic, to allow breathing when sweating
Sorry, mean ... allow painless ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
yeah, I've suffered from this myself -- it's seriously annoying.

My experience is that it goes away on its own after a few weeks (whether on the Camino or in training), but sure, that can be a longer time than many people's Camino will last.

The only thing I've ever found to be helpful against it is changing into ultra-clean and dry t-shirts at least twice daily. Though adjusting one's backpack straps so that they don't stretch one's t-shirt across the chest does also help.

this is definitely the hottest thread on this forum, keep going ;-) ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Duct Tape. The really, really strong stuff. And a wooden spoon.
About five inches of duct tape. One inch on the nipple, the other
four inches folded back on themselves to leave you with a good 2
inches of tape to grasp hold of when you want to rip it off.

Just wondering what the wooden spoon is for?

Just wondering what the wooden spoon is for?

Better to bite a bit of softish wood instead of breaking your teeth or taking a chunk off your tongue. Very common habit before anesthesia became a thing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Paper surgical tape would work well (I always carry it for use with blisters). It lays very flat(no re-aggravation), won’t come off from perspiration or if it gets wet. I would recommend Aquaphor (I use it with tattoo healing) vs Vaseline. Stay away from cotton tops. Performance synthetics or smartwool.

After the soreness sets in...try some cream designed for diaper rash on babies. Helps the healing process and lubricates the area as well. Added bonus is that you will have a scent waft off of you that will cause those who are parents, to smile fondly at you. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is an easy solution for this. Search for “Mr Nipple” or “Nipease”. $9.50 on Amazon for 50 pair. These are like round bandaids with a cutout in the center and are specifically made for this problem. I’ve run countless half marathons with them and the’re great. They weigh next to nothing.

Another thing your husband can try is to avoid wearing tighter fitting runners tech shirts that have a high synthetic material content.

Jogger phoned. He'd like it back please.

Seriously though, zinc oxide is your husband's friend (and that of babies' bottoms around the world).

Aww, poor baby. Simple bandaids will relieve the friction. Try vertical one only to start. If that is not enough, add horizonatls as well.

The title of this thread was "My Husband Has Jogger's Nipple"to which I would advise in this PC #metoo world that he let it go.;)

Thank you for all the replies. I'm pleased to say he's healed now... and he's ordered some tape to try.

I have to say I did look it up after his comments and it does look like a really horrible problem... so for all who suffer then you have my sympathy.

He's made notes of all the above and fingers crossed he can prevent any future occurrences!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back