• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My ideal Camino... is it possible?

F

Former member 105117

I plan to walk the Francis in May, 23... this being my first Camino. A friend, who has walked it several times, recently told me that preparing for the journey would be nearly as much fun as the actual walk. He was so right!
I've begun to look at what I would want for me. I've budgeted to stay in albergues. But, what I'd really like to do is pay for space to sleep outside, in my little, hiking tent, with access to a shower and toilet. I've done a lot of hiking and sleeping outside and find I enjoy it more. I can sleep and rise in my own time... I much prefer a very early start and don't want to disturb others.
Are there places that allow you to sleep this way...no fire, or anything like that, of course?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes there are some where you can legally camp, but not as many on the CF as you might want or like. I remember going by a camping establishment in Estella on the way out of town. There may be some albergues that will let you camp in the yard, but many albergues are in the middle of the town.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In Roncesvalles this is possible. You can place your tent behind the albergue and use toilets/showers and kitchen for a small price (if I remember well it is € 3,00).

We pitched a tent at the municipal campground at St. Jean Pied de Port. Google Maps shows another campground nearby. Both are close to Porte Notre-Dame, the town gate that is pictured often as the start of people's Camino; the Pilgrims' Office is up the hill from that. That was our only night camping so I'm not much help with camping in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We pitched a tent at the municipal campground at St. Jean Pied de Port. Google Maps shows another campground nearby. Both are close to Porte Notre-Dame, the town gate that is pictured often as the start of people's Camino; the Pilgrims' Office is up the hill from that. That was our only night camping so I'm not much help with camping in Spain.
What did you do with your tent after that?

What did you do with your tent after that?
The plan was to backpack the length of the Pyrenees after the Camino so we had big packs with lots of gear. I had a contact in Pamplona where we could store the bulk of the gear but we didn't have any problems while walking there so we kept carrying it all. Ten days later I bought a cooler sleeping bag and I was not going to continue walking with two sleeping bags so I posted the tent and most of the rest of the backpacking stuff to the Santiago post office. Our Camino took a long time so I had to contact the post office a couple times to have them continue to hold our package. It was waiting for us. I carried the stuff again and some of Peg's too on to Finisterre where she had bused to meet me for the walk to Muxia. Peg was recovering from tendonitis brought on by the walk out of León so we didn't hike in the mountains after all (no taxis there to call to avoid having to crawl to town if things got worse).

I plan to walk the Francis in May, 23... this being my first Camino. A friend, who has walked it several times, recently told me that preparing for the journey would be nearly as much fun as the actual walk. He was so right!
I've begun to look at what I would want for me. I've budgeted to stay in albergues. But, what I'd really like to do is pay for space to sleep outside, in my little, hiking tent, with access to a shower and toilet. I've done a lot of hiking and sleeping outside and find I enjoy it more. I can sleep and rise in my own time... I much prefer a very early start and don't want to disturb others.
Are there places that allow you to sleep this way...no fire, or anything like that, of course?
When I walked May-June 2022 I came accross couple of folks who had their tents with them. One couple comes to mind - husband & wife (IIRC from UK) who pitched it on the back lawn at Orisson...
Then there was a German gentlemen named Mathias who was travelling with his dog Bobo. I spent couple of nights with them after O'Cebreiro....

I guess basically you approach\contact a given albergue, explain the situation and see if they allow it or not.
Perhaps you'll pay the same as those who get the bunk inside but then you get an access to toilets and showers as well
Anything is possible
Good luck & Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I walked May-June 2022 I came accross couple of folks who had their tents with them. One couple comes to mind - husband & wife (IIRC from UK) who pitched it on the back lawn at Orisson...
Then there was a German gentlemen named Mathias who was travelling with his dog Bobo. I spent couple of nights with them after O'Cebreiro....

I guess basically you approach\contact a given albergue, explain the situation and see if they allow it or not.
Perhaps you'll pay the same as those who get the bunk inside but then you get an access to toilets and showers as well
Anything is possible
Good luck & Buen Camino
THAT is why I'll carry my tent and my slightly larger pack. "Anything is possible".

I camped most nights when I walked with my donkey. If you have water you can wash. Shower not essential. If you have a trowel you have a toilet. Whether it's stealth camping or on a site, or a farm, is up to you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Remember that many albergues lock their doors at night, so if you are sleeping in the garden you may not have access to the toilets in the middle of the night if that's a concern for you.
An issue to address, as it presents. Thanks for making me aware.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've no interest in 'stealth' camping. I'll support those who provide service to pilgrims and camp with permission or sleep in a bed... with respect.
As I said, it's up to you. With respect.

I didn’t see anything like this except one place that was being developed for this very thing. It was like a giant fairy garden. The young man had a library setup, chairs, hammocks and a food stand. I can’t remember where it was except it was near Pamplona. Does anyone know?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I didn’t see anything like this except one place that was being developed for this very thing. It was like a giant fairy garden. The young man had a library setup, chairs, hammocks and a food stand. I can’t remember where it was except it was near Pamplona. Does anyone know?
I remember that place, though it seemed to be just a rest stop, not a place to camp. But he seemed to be expanding it, so maybe that's now possible.

I've read several posts that talked about the crowded albergues and the need to book in advance, at times. I'm surprised more places along the busier routes don't offer mats and a place outside. Just a pad where I can set up my little tent. For a few euros, use of the toilet and or kitchen. I realize it's not for everyone. But, especially considering COVID and the times when the number of pilgrims allowed inside was limited...
Me gustaría dormir en mi tienda. One of the many phrases I'll use a lot.

not around Ceerauqui?...Olive Garden? That had a library and chairs & hammocks, IIRC
although the senorita was manning the place.....

I've read several posts that talked about the crowded albergues and the need to book in advance, at times. I'm surprised more places along the busier routes don't offer mats and a place outside. Just a pad where I can set up my little tent. For a few euros, use of the toilet and or kitchen.
I'm not sure offering mats and a place outside would 'eliminate' (if you will) the need to book in advance.
While unquestionably folks like you do exist they would not (IMHO) constitute 10% of the traffic

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am sure there is probably a "license" that must be purchased in Spain to allow camping if it is considered part of the business. Also there is a certain risk to allowing people to camp outside. Not every albergue has a hospitalera/o on site 24/7. Some just check you in and then leave for the night. Albergues are crowded during certain times of the year and not every albergue is crowded every day. Even in the busiest times we could be completely full one day and then have only a half an albergue the next. It depends on the day of the week and when and where pilgrims have started. There are some well-known choke points and especially at certain times of the year (Easter, early May, early Septembr, etc.)

I've read several posts that talked about the crowded albergues and the need to book in advance, at times. I'm surprised more places along the busier routes don't offer mats and a place outside. Just a pad where I can set up my little tent. For a few euros, use of the toilet and or kitchen. I realize it's not for everyone. But, especially considering COVID and the times when the number of pilgrims allowed inside was limited...
Me gustaría dormir en mi tienda. One of the many phrases I'll use a lot.
Me, I’d stop reading that stuff unless I was planning on setting out in early May or early September. And if I was I’d probably change my plan.
The other issue is that if you run an Albergue or Hostal that is licensed to accommodate n pilgrims you can’t slide the license with a few mats under the porch or an accidental tent or two. It’s likely the other local accommodation providers will have their gruntle at least dissed if not seriously discomfited.
For every tale of unavailable accommodation there are tales of sparsely occupied bunk rooms. It seems you’re not inclined to prebook a nice private room con bano. Your opportunities for stress will be few

I was sure there were lots of reasons why it wasn't done. And, I'm not nearly so smart as to solve the issue. There are things I want from My Camino. I'd never criticize those who book private rooms, plan their walks according to which route has the most bars or look for the most social interaction. I'm looking for days filled with peace and wonder and a quiet place at the end of the day, where I can reflect on what I've seen that day.
Just this morning, during my training walk, while listening to the birds that sing along the road here, I thought how great it will be to hear what birds there will be there.
These are the things I look forward to...

Me, I’d stop reading that stuff unless I was planning on setting out in early May or early September. And if I was I’d probably change my plan.
The other issue is that if you run an Albergue or Hostal that is licensed to accommodate n pilgrims you can’t slide the license with a few mats under the porch or an accidental tent or two. It’s likely the other local accommodation providers will have their gruntle at least dissed if not seriously discomfited.
For every tale of unavailable accommodation there are tales of sparsely occupied bunk rooms. It seems you’re not inclined to prebook a nice private room con bano. Your opportunities for stress will be few
Since I am planning to begin my walk on May 1st, why do you think I should change my plan?

Since I am planning to begin my walk on May 1st, why do you think I should change my plan?
Peak season. Check the statistics. Every pilgrim and their pack will be there. Guidebook in one hand expectation in the other.

I’m kidding; kind of. Early May really is peak season on the Frances from StJdP and near so on the Norte. From your other posts you’re planning / contemplating one of the quieter routes. You should get all that you want.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm doing the Madrid route, which will mean joining the Francis. My schedule would allow an earlier start. But, what would that mean for crossing the Sierra de Guaderrama in early April?

I'm doing the Madrid route, which will mean joining the Francis. My schedule would allow an earlier start. But, what would that mean for crossing the Sierra de Guaderrama in early April?
The bed crunch is primarily between St Jean Pied de Port and Pamplona on the Francés, so you will avoid that by starting on the Camino de Madrid.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've read several posts that talked about the crowded albergues and the need to book in advance, at times. I'm surprised more places along the busier routes don't offer mats and a place outside. Just a pad where I can set up my little tent. For a few euros, use of the toilet and or kitchen. I realize it's not for everyone.
Because depending on the route, and time of year, there are usually other options nearby...... ;)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back