• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My journey with faith

Time of past OR future Camino
Next Camino Ingles Ferrol
Dear all,

Some of you might remember a thread I started last year about what to wear for attending church whilst on the Camino. The thread generated quite a bit of response.

I thought it was high time to close the loop.

Whilst walking from Porto to Santiago, I attended 3 services, one in Pontevedra, one in Herbon and one in Santiago. I didnā€™t take a ā€˜specialā€™ outfit for attending church, rather I took a set of clothes for apres walking that was ā€˜appropriateā€™ for attending church. In my case a full length, loose jumpsuit and a light cardigan.

I didnā€™t find God, I didnā€™t feel out of place, I wasnā€™t made to feel unwelcome. I didnā€™t take the Eucharist, I didnā€™t kneel. I stood when people stood and I sat when people sat/kneeled. I had no idea what was happening and it didnā€™t matter. I never got a blessing (by crossing your arms) however I did get a group pilgrim blessing in Herbon. Sadly I missed the chance to go to the English service in Santiago but I did get to see the Botafumeiro swing on my arrival day to Santiago- magnificent.

To those of you who told me to attend a service at home so that I would have an inking of what was going on- you were so right and I wished I had the courage at the time to do so. I didnā€™t, however, since then on my most recent journey from Reading to Southampton, I did get an opportunity to participate in Evensong at Winchester Cathedral and Matin (morning prayers) at St Cross Church also in Winchester. I also was lucky enough to get an individual pilgrim blessing when I set off from Canterbury not so long ago, that was especially touching. I was fairly emotional over that one.

Iā€™m now more at peace with visiting a religious institution where others are praying and I am observing. Iā€™m more at peace with myself for not being religious but having some form of faith I have yet to understand. Iā€™m more at peace with the fact that I do not ā€˜prayā€™ but have ā€˜conversationsā€™ with a force that may be God or may be the Universe. Iā€™m am at peace that when I walk into a church, I am not trespassing but made to feel welcome and that I am not intruding on anyone who is there to worship.

I am more at peace in general that I do not have to be ā€˜card carryingā€™ member of any religious order but will be made to feel welcome in any spiritual house. Not once did any people of faith (priests, vicars, nuns etc) ask me if I was Christian/Catholic or what my faith was. I did however get grilled by a couple of Russian Catholics as to why I was at the service in Pontevedra. Are you Catholic? No. Are you Protesthanic? Um, no. Are you (insert any another Christian denomination here)? Iā€™m not anything was my final answer. It was precisely this type of thing that I wanted to avoid.

Basically all I wanted to say is Thank You, to all of you who took the time to send warm thoughts and pass the message of ā€˜feel no fear, you will be welcomeā€™.

Although I did not get a Eureka moment, I did feel at peace and even though I do not have any wish to convert, I do and will take the opportunity if one arises, to attend a service. It was peaceful is what Iā€™m trying to say, and if a moment of peace presents itself to me, I think I will take it.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
Fi

In particular, virtual hug to the following whose messages to me were especially comforting.

@SabsP @Tincatinker @Jeff Crawley @Flog @VNwalking @Kathar1na @MichaelB10398
@Katherine Radeka @PilgrimLiving @John_H @Arthur Gil de Lamadrid @HeyRobin @PJN @Amused212 @Aspigrina @KFH @Bob from L.A. ! @dbier @BJ Santavy @kelleymac @justweems @JRO @bullingtonce @Sparrow in Texas @Mycroft @JCarpenter @Helen Robinson

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Peace is the point! šŸ˜Š
So, how wonderful, your post! It's very nice to read the 'after' that shows how the 'before' questions eventually came out for you. It's also a reassurance for anyone out here who might he grappling with the same uncertainties you were - a resounding message that all will be well!

Though I haven't the full context...
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well."

Attributed as a revelation to Julian of Norwich, English female mystic and anchored, 1300s.

As always, Buen Camino. May you continue your journey.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is beautiful and echos experiences I have as a volunteer in a Catholic based facility for asylum seekers. I will start CF in two weeks and, like you intend to immerse myself as an ancient pilgrim. Thanks again...

Dear all,

Some of you might remember a thread I started last year about what to wear for attending church whilst on the Camino. The thread generated quite a bit of response.

I thought it was high time to close the loop.

Whilst walking from Porto to Santiago, I attended 3 services, one in Pontevedra, one in Herbon and one in Santiago. I didnā€™t take a ā€˜specialā€™ outfit for attending church, rather I took a set of clothes for apres walking that was ā€˜appropriateā€™ for attending church. In my case a full length, loose jumpsuit and a light cardigan.

I didnā€™t find God, I didnā€™t feel out of place, I wasnā€™t made to feel unwelcome. I didnā€™t take the Eucharist, I didnā€™t kneel. I stood when people stood and I sat when people sat/kneeled. I had no idea what was happening and it didnā€™t matter. I never got a blessing (by crossing your arms) however I did get a group pilgrim blessing in Herbon. Sadly I missed the chance to go to the English service in Santiago but I did get to see the Botafumeiro swing on my arrival day to Santiago- magnificent.

To those of you who told me to attend a service at home so that I would have an inking of what was going on- you were so right and I wished I had the courage at the time to do so. I didnā€™t, however, since then on my most recent journey from Reading to Southampton, I did get an opportunity to participate in Evensong at Winchester Cathedral and Matin (morning prayers) at St Cross Church also in Winchester. I also was lucky enough to get an individual pilgrim blessing when I set off from Canterbury not so long ago, that was especially touching. I was fairly emotional over that one.

Iā€™m now more at peace with visiting a religious institution where others are praying and I am observing. Iā€™m more at peace with myself for not being religious but having some form of faith I have yet to understand. Iā€™m more at peace with the fact that I do not ā€˜prayā€™ but have ā€˜conversationsā€™ with a force that may be God or may be the Universe. Iā€™m am at peace that when I walk into a church, I am not trespassing but made to feel welcome and that I am not intruding on anyone who is there to worship.

I am more at peace in general that I do not have to be ā€˜card carryingā€™ member of any religious order but will be made to feel welcome in any spiritual house. Not once did any people of faith (priests, vicars, nuns etc) ask me if I was Christian/Catholic or what my faith was. I did however get grilled by a couple of Russian Catholics as to why I was at the service in Pontevedra. Are you Catholic? No. Are you Protesthanic? Um, no. Are you (insert any another Christian denomination here)? Iā€™m not anything was my final answer. It was precisely this type of thing that I wanted to avoid.

Basically all I wanted to say is Thank You, to all of you who took the time to send warm thoughts and pass the message of ā€˜feel no fear, you will be welcomeā€™.

Although I did not get a Eureka moment, I did feel at peace and even though I do not have any wish to convert, I do and will take the opportunity if one arises, to attend a service. It was peaceful is what Iā€™m trying to say, and if a moment of peace presents itself to me, I think I will take it.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
Fi

In particular, virtual hug to the following whose messages to me were especially comforting.

@SabsP @Tincatinker @Jeff Crawley @Flog @VNwalking @Kathar1na @MichaelB10398
@Katherine Radeka @PilgrimLiving @John_H @Arthur Gil de Lamadrid @HeyRobin @PJN @Amused212 @Aspigrina @KFH @Bob from L.A. ! @dbier @BJ Santavy @kelleymac @justweems @JRO @bullingtonce @Sparrow in Texas @Mycroft @JCarpenter @Helen Robinson
I'm so glad you are experiencing peace. I think that is the perfect place to be with your journey. I wish you continued peace and am sending you hugs. You are worthy of being welcome everywhere.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ā€¦.and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rateā€¦.I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as ā€œEasy Camino Francesā€...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back