• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My kit list

Snowball

Time of past OR future Camino
"Starting in March 2015"
Hi I'm walking the camino starting end of Feb beginning March, This is my kit list so far let me know any ideas on what else to bring or leave behind.

Clothes
4x t-shirt
2x base layer
2x Fleece
2x Wind proof jacket
1x Waterproof Rain Mac
1x Shorts
2x Walking trousers (1 pair zip off to shorts)
1x water proof trousers
4x under wear
1x Water proof hiking boots
1x Flip flops
4x Socks
1x Hat
1x Beanie
Gloves

First Aid
1x bandage
Anti septic cream
Bite & Sting cream
pocket knife
small scissors
4x Plansters
safety pins
Imodium
ibuprofen

Other
Small camp stove
water bottle plus mettle cup
spork
Sleeping bag
small tent
roll matt
torch (head and small hand torch)
soap
face cloth
micro fibre towel
Phone x charger
power bank for phone

That is pretty much all of my gear that will be coming along with me.

Kind Regards
Snows

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My thought in italics:

4x t-shirt - max 3
2x Fleece - 1, unless they are very thin
2x Wind proof jacket - 1, why would you need 2?
1x Waterproof Rain Mac - how heavy is it?
1x Shorts - in Feb/March, not really
4x under wear - max 3
4x Socks - max 3
Small camp stove - leave at home
water bottle plus mettle cup - is that metal cup? Weight?
small tent - leave at home
roll matt - leave at home

You forgot toothbrush and tooth paste ;-)

Buen Camino! SY

My thought in italics:

4x t-shirt - max 3
2x Fleece - 1, unless they are very thin
2x Wind proof jacket - 1, why would you need 2?
1x Waterproof Rain Mac - how heavy is it?
1x Shorts - in Feb/March, not really
4x under wear - max 3
4x Socks - max 3
Small camp stove - leave at home
water bottle plus mettle cup - is that metal cup? Weight?
small tent - leave at home
roll matt - leave at home

You forgot toothbrush and tooth paste ;-)

Buen Camino! SY

Hey
Thanks for the reply, I've amended my list 3 of each and ditched the 2nd wind proof jacket, the stove i'm gonna keep in with the metal cup to brew some coffee along the way, and added tooth brush and tooth paste. rain mac folds into the pocket so very light, I'll leave the tent and bring a bivvy bag instead... really want to spend a night or two under the stars.

Kind regards
Snows

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
How much does it all weigh? The bivvy bag SYates mentions seems perfect but... it's likely to be awfully cold to be camping. Really. But then I'm a wuss, I sent my tent back home the minute it got too wet and cold, for too long :oops:
Otherwise agree with all said above. Btw i think 1 torch is enough though, whichever you prefer.
Buen camino (i stand in awe)
Dominique

Last edited:
Here are my thoughts:
Your amended clothes list is probably fine for Feb/March weather.

I'd leave the bite & sting cream home. There's not much to bite or sting that early in the spring.
I'd leave the pocket knife and scissors home - you won't get them on the airline - and buy a nice knife in Spain where they are known for their blades.

I would take a dozen large safety pins to hang laundry to dry and from your pack.
I'd leave the roll mat home - I honestly doubt you'll be sleeping out and they are free for the taking in the albergues
I'd take ONE torch - whichever one has a red lamp so you don't blind other pilgrims (I hate those things)

I think your idea of a bivy instead of a tent is wise - easier to heat with body heat if you do decide to brave the elements, and generally less weight.

Have fun!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How much does it all weigh? The bivvy bag SYates mentions seems perfect but... it's likely to be awfully cold to be camping. Really. But then I'm a wuss, I sent my tent back home the minute it got too wet and cold, for too long :oops:
Otherwise agree with all said above. Btw i think 1 torch is enough though, whichever you prefer.
Buen camino (i stand in awe)
Dominique

Thanks domigee, I'll be weighing it tomorrow and let you know... I'll only be camping a couple of nights throughout the walk so not really bothered about the cold and wet... because I'll probably be walking in that weather at some point in time and getting dry and warm is always nice even if its into a make shift shelter of a tent or bivvy...

thanks I may only end up taking one head torch as the power bank I'm taking has a torch built in...

Kind Regards
Snows

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here are my thoughts:
Your amended clothes list is probably fine for Feb/March weather.

I'd leave the bite & sting cream home. There's not much to bite or sting that early in the spring.
I'd leave the pocket knife and scissors home - you won't get them on the airline - and buy a nice knife in Spain where they are known for their blades.

I would take a dozen large safety pins to hang laundry to dry and from your pack.
I'd leave the roll mat home - I honestly doubt you'll be sleeping out and they are free for the taking in the albergues
I'd take ONE torch - whichever one has a red lamp so you don't blind other pilgrims (I hate those things)

I think your idea of a bivy instead of a tent is wise - easier to heat with body heat if you do decide to brave the elements, and generally less weight.

Have fun!

Thanks Anniesantiago

I like the large safety pins idea I'll get some tomorrow I've got some para cord I'll take about 5m with me.

Kind Regards
Snows

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, then I stand to what I wrote earlier, for a moment I thought you plan leaving from home which would make the necessary kit list a bit different! Buen Camino! SY

Have you thought about an ultrasil tarp poncho? That way you could have a tent for your bivvy if you decide to sleep out, without an extra piece of gear. I know Z-packs and Sea to Summit both have these, although I think the Sea to Summit version looks like it's better as a poncho than the Z-packs version does.

Have you thought about an ultrasil tarp poncho? That way you could have a tent for your bivvy if you decide to sleep out, without an extra piece of gear. I know Z-packs and Sea to Summit both have these, although I think the Sea to Summit version looks like it's better as a poncho than the Z-packs version does.

Thanks Pudgypilgrim

I'll have a look this weekend that might be a good idea,

As we Always say; "train as you fight", so pack up your gear and walk/train with it. You will soon get a good idea if it's too much or not. I think that every starting Pilgrim/walker takes unnecessary goods.
During my Camino training I made every time (new) decisions what to bring or leave at home.
Buen Camino

Attachments

• 2015-02-15 13.46.25.jpg
    2015-02-15 13.46.25.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
The only thing I can add is consider bringing a "Pocket Pack" of tissues to use as toilet paper. I would also consider a fork and spoon instead of a spork. Sporks just don't work for me. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.