• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My life is, "NOT THE SAME"….6 months after!

jimkaszynski

RIP 2014
Time of past OR future Camino
First step June 1st 2013
ca-1a.jpg

I took my 1st step six months ago; today. My journey was 56 days; I am back in Thailand and still enjoying the learning moments, I had. The Camino is now permanently in my blood! The lessons learned; I use every day. Here are three, which changed my life. Thanks, Camino for being my new teacher!

How do I stay in balance when I am in pain and can’t… Click here
http://jimscaminodesantiago.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/three-ways-to-stay-in-balance-a-camino-lesson/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took my 1st step six months ago; today. My journey was 56 days; I am back in Thailand and still enjoying the learning moments, I had. The Camino is now permanently in my blood! The lessons learned; I use every day. Here are three, which changed my life. Thanks, Camino for being my new teacher!

How do I stay in balance when I am in pain and can’t… Click here
http://jimscaminodesantiago.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/three-ways-to-stay-in-balance-a-camino-lesson/

Hi jim lovely to hear from you again "The Camino is my new Professor." of course, keep living in the present moment even when it's difficult. Loved reading what you are doing back home!

Jim
Did you end up doing the no money thing, and if so, how did it pan out?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jim
Did you end up doing the no money thing, and if so, how did it pan out?

I did the walk with almost no money. I had to alter my plan to have the money to pay for the Albergue’s. However, had no money for food? As it turned out, I did not have to camp out every night, which gave me the opportunity to hear other pilgrim’s stories, which I would have missed if I slept under the stars.

I did not, even once, have to beg for food, even though few knew I was walking food-less. I was invited to join others for dinner and many times found left-over food in the fridge with a note, to help myself to a meal.

Yes, there were nights and even days, I was hungry. However, my quest was to see what it would be like to be really starving, after all, I was walking to support an orphanage in Kenya where kids are dying because they have no food to eat. I have never been that hungry in my life, but now know what it’s like. Again, the Camino taught me lessons, and it provided!

Last year on this forum, I was highly criticized for this attempt. Even, to the point, they had to shut down the thread because of some of the statements made against me, it received thousands of hits. I was accused of trying to take advantage of other pilgrims, and Spain’s economy needed help. I started to question myself? What were my motives? I then reached into my heart and got the right answer, to continue with my plan. It was the most beautiful experience in my life! Jim

Last edited:
Great to hear it worked out for you. Also pleased to hear you ended up willing to pay for albergues and give in that way.
We did an interesting hunger exercise with our kids earlier this year - we ate nothing but UN refugee rations for a few days. First day was no trouble and we couldn't even eat the whole portion of millet they assign per person. Second day we ate almost all of it because we were a little hungry. By the third day we ate it all and on the fourth day we were still hungry. We obviously had reserves in our system, but I was surprised how quickly our bodies craved more food - I had expected it would take a couple of weeks. Definitely left an impression on the kids.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great to hear it worked out for you. Also pleased to hear you ended up willing to pay for albergues and give in that way.
We did an interesting hunger exercise with our kids earlier this year - we ate nothing but UN refugee rations for a few days. First day was no trouble and we couldn't even eat the whole portion of millet they assign per person. Second day we ate almost all of it because we were a little hungry. By the third day we ate it all and on the fourth day we were still hungry. We obviously had reserves in our system, but I was surprised how quickly our bodies craved more food - I had expected it would take a couple of weeks. Definitely left an impression on the kids.

Great project for you all, plus as a family you are learning together! So many lessons you have and will learn. Yes, when your hungry, what you eat what is available. Just like life their isn't always a menu to choose from, but their is always something to fill our needs!

I did the walk with almost no money. I had to alter my plan to have the money to pay for the Albergue’s. However, had no money for food? As it turned out, I did not have to camp out every night, which gave me the opportunity to hear other pilgrim’s stories, which I would have missed if I slept under the stars.

I did not, even once, have to beg for food, even though few knew I was walking food-less. I was invited to join others for dinner and many times found left-over food in the fridge with a note, to help myself to a meal.

Yes, there were nights and even days, I was hungry. However, my quest was to see what it would be like to be really starving, after all, I was walking to support an orphanage in Kenya where kids are dying because they have no food to eat. I have never been that hungry in my life, but now know what it’s like. Again, the Camino taught me lessons, and it provided!

Last year on this forum, I was highly criticized for this attempt. Even, to the point, they had to shut down the thread because of some of the statements made against me, it received thousands of hits. I was accused of trying to take advantage of other pilgrims, and Spain’s economy needed help. I started to question myself? What were my motives? I then reached into my heart and got the right answer, to continue with my plan. It was the most beautiful experience in my life! Jim
Well done on being guided by your own intutition, despite opposition, and completing what must have been a very challenging camino. May that experience be a source of strength to you always.

Well done on being guided by your own intutition, despite opposition, and completing what must have been a very challenging camino. May that experience be a source of strength to you always.

Thank You Una, jim

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Jim, my life has never been the same since I returned. I guess I started with no aim or object in mind or sight but I ended as a pilgrim. I am sure that both you and many others understand these words. You just have to try to walk the way as best you can. - I still dream of going back and finish the last part of it. - Just now I am, alas, fighting with some health impediments.

Annelise

Jim, my life has never been the same since I returned. I guess I started with no aim or object in mind or sight but I ended as a pilgrim. I am sure that both you and many others understand these words. You just have to try to walk the way as best you can. - I still dream of going back and finish the last part of it. - Just now I am, alas, fighting with some health impediments.

Annelise

annelise, Everything starts with a dream....a thought....an action! I am sending you healing vibe's for your health challenge from Thailand.

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back