• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Macabi Hiking Skirt

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not for me.
I wear boy-cut panties on the Camino - so my thighs don't chafe anyway.
If it's cold, I will wear it over leggings.. again no problem.
Most people wear short or long leggings under a hiking skirt anyway.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've worn a Macabi skirt everywhere in the world for years now. Last time I went travelling, I went without pants, just 2 skirts. THey are light, wash great, cover everything you need to cover even in very modest places, and the pockets! Can't say enough about them. If you're bringing a skirt to hike in, let this be one!

Caminomary525 said:
If you wear the skirt, is there an issue with chafing on the thighs?
If you don't wear tights, put body glide on your inner thighs to prevent chafing. It's the same product that you can put on your feet to prevent blistering.

I bought two macabis and thought I'd take both but was a little worried because several people have said it was very cold in the VDLP even in May/June.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The skirts are definitely at their best in warmer climates, but you could easily wear tights or longjohns underneath. For me, keeping the pockets accessible was important. The skirt is a good wind blocker and even if it's being blown against your legs in a gale, it's long enough that it won't trip you up. Also, you can convert it into "pants" and have even more room to move.

I also like the sun screening effect of the long skirt, despite the lightness of the fabric. I burn easily, but never got a sunburn on my legs despite not wearing sunscreen.

I'm thinking of buying one of those for my camino hike. Can anyone of you tell me the weight of your skirt (and size and length).
Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ill sell you ine if mine at a good discount. I bigger two but have worn the same one the entire Camino. These skirts rock. They never get dirty and when you do wash them mine have been dry in an hour. The pockets go so deep almost to my elbows. The secret money pocket and camera pocket have been really useful bathe two side pockets are big enough for my guidebook and my water bottle.

I'm in Spain until July 17 but them would be happy to sell one for maybe $45? I paid ?70. Both are like new despite their use. I have one charcoal and one a fawn color.

Pm if interested. Ill post in the for sake section once I'm home.

Oh yeah.

Weight. No idea. Light.
Size. I bought a large and it goes mid calf. I'm 5'3" and weigh about 145 right now. There are belt loops and a drawstring as well as elastic waist. I have an over the belt money safe that works great. Fits right inside the skirt.

Unfortunatly L will be to big for me so I ordered one from Macabi Skirt. Waiting for it to arrive, eager to test it on a hike in the Swedish mountains.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I got mine a couple weeks ago. I haven't hiked in it yet but did take it for a test walk. I love it.
I am 5'4" and wear a size 16-18 on the bottom, I ordered a large-short. It fits pretty well, maybe a tad snug in the waist but not uncomfortable. The short length is ok, it comes to just above my ankles, I'd prefer it a little shorter. This will be my the bottom to my 2nd outfit on the Camino. I do plan on bringing leggings or long underwear since I will be hiking in Sept/Oct.

Mine weighs in at 295g.

I have been looking at these skirts as I need something more flexible for my Camino pack next time, so I am wondering: Can you pull it over the bust and use it for a sort of dress or at least to stay decent in and out of the shower? Also if I convert it to pants, will they be comfortable to sleep in? I thought they would be more convenient than having to get out of a silk bag to go to the loo in the middle of the night ... Also if anyone was looking to sell one in a happier colour than the ones currently on the website, like the blue or light green, I would be interested!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can you pull it over the bust and use it for a sort of dress or at least to stay decent in and out of the shower? Also if I convert it to pants, will they be comfortable to sleep in? I thought they would be more convenient than having to get out of a silk bag to go to the loo in the middle of the night ... Also if anyone was looking to sell one in a happier colour than the ones currently on the website, like the blue or light green, I would be interested!

About pulling it up over your bust, yes, you could do that if you are not too tall.
I'm 5'3 and if I pulled mine up it would cover my rear.

About sleeping in it? I don't think it would be comfortable,
but I tend to be a bit claustrophobic at night and don't like things wrapping around my legs.
But honestly, getting out of the bed to go to the toilet in your underwear is pretty common.
Everyone's too tired to look at you.
I wear my silk or wool long johns to bed.
They're having a good sale right now.
I bought a new blue one for this Camino. Only ONE this year because I wore the same one last time.
The things never get dirty and are very durable.
Good luck!
annie

Hi, Annie, thanks for your suggestions. You see I get more claustrophobic in a silk bag and I find it hard to wriggle out of and get back into, I get cold on my way (and if I'm on the top bunk it's hard to climb in :D) so I'd rather have something wearable between me, the mattress and the open sleeping bag. I was thinking about sewing my silk bag into a pair of roomy trousers, but then I thought maybe the skirt would do the trick ... And where did you get the blue one?? I have only seen the Rain one in the sale but not my size and the other blues are so dark. I have seen nice blue ones on google - maybe the colours are just off on the pics? Christmas pressie to self seems imminent!

I found the RAIN in my size, a Large short.
Last time, I mostly wore the tan one and really loved it.
If you're not in a hurry you could ask her to maybe send you samples of the cloth???
Not sure if she'd do it. But you could ask?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, just letting you know I have the black Macabi Skirt and apart from a pair of shorts and silk leggings, this is the only "bottom" garment I took and in Switzerland it was almost frosty on a couple of occasions. I was absolutely warm enough and I loved not having to wash the skirt. I washed it once in 3 weeks, whereas trousers need washing every couple of days. I liked the fact that I could look smart if I chose to, but was comfortable at the same time, regardless of the weather. I had a silk top for hot days and a light merino long sleeve as well as a super light down jacket, so I managed in temps from 4 degrees C to 30 plus degrees C. The Macabi will be a standard piece of equipment from now on!

They shed the rain and block the wind.
The fabric they're made of is much like windbreaker fabric.
I loved mine.

When the wind gets REALLY strong, you can use a strap to make them like pants. The strap goes up between your legs and hooks on the back waistband. It's really quite brilliant.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They shed the rain and block the wind.
The fabric they're made of is much like windbreaker fabric.
I loved mine.

When the wind gets REALLY strong, you can use a strap to make them like pants. The strap goes up between your legs and hooks on the back waistband. It's really quite brilliant.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive, I ordered a black one :)

Wow, it's even better than on the pics, honestly, I am thrilled to bits. For those who wondered about the weight, it is 250g or 9oz (i knooooow, I know, I'm one of those sad types who weigh everything tehe).
I chose Small and short size, (I'm an English size 12 pre-Camino) and it reaches just below calf length, perfect :)
A big thank you to everyone who recommended it!

Hi Macabi fans! Have any of you had them shipped from the US to UK or Europe? It looks like I will be charged over £25 to have the parcel cleared through Customs which I think is really steep!
At least I bought two, otherwise it would have been one very expensive skirt ...

EDIT: Apparently this level of Customs charges is normal, even for clothes :oops:. The offices are closed now but I will contact them on Monday and decide what to do. I still think it's too expensive but since it is my own fault for not checking the Customs charges (and because I really want my Macabis for my hols in a few weeks) I will probably just pay and consider it a lesson learned. I suppose I'll just *have* to walk a few more Caminos now to get value for money!

Anyway, you can learn from my lesson - there will be Customs charges to pay on top of the cost of the skirts and postage. VAT of 17.5% plus handling fee of £8 :confused: If you have friends in the US, get them delivered there and ask them to ship them to you cheaper, or maybe someone could start a Macabi Europe franchise? :)

Linda

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am now the proud (and poor) owner of two large and long Macabi skirts that I am very happy with! Therefore I will be selling one that didn't quite fit, it is an unused black XL Regular length one. I will be posting it in the Gear for sale section if you are interested!

What do you do for heavy rain? Skirt with poncho or do you switch to rain pants for really bad days?

What do you do for heavy rain? Skirt with poncho or do you switch to rain pants for really bad days?

If it is really HEAVY rain, then I put on my ALTUS poncho and some featherweight parachute rain pants under my Macabi. But for regular rain, the Macabi and my trusty umbrella protects my legs and my feet.

Before I got the umbrella, the ALTUS did a great job of protecting me, and still does, but as I age, my hips tend to really feel the cold; thus the rain pants.

I also swear by my Altus, plus I have a pair of rain repellent Craghoppers Kiwi Stretch trousers to put on under or in stead of the skirt. I am also playing with the idea of lightweight gaiters. Don't really need rain pants when the Altus comes down past the gaiters.

I also swear by my Altus, plus I have a pair of rain repellent Craghoppers Kiwi Stretch trousers to put on under or in stead of the skirt. I am also playing with the idea of lightweight gaiters. Don't really need rain pants when the Altus comes down past the gaiters.

Yeah, I mostly use them to block the wind and cold.
I fell a few years ago and my left hip really aches when cold wind hits it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What are they like to wear in the rain and strong winds?
I used mine in drizzel and it didn't even get wet. I have walked in heavy rain at home and it stays remarkable dry for a long time. It got wet in the bottom from high grass on a narrow path. If it is windy I use the hook and wear it as pants. I love mine. Only thing I walked in during my camino. I'll use it in the Swedish mountains this summer.

Apologies for crashing your women's room conversation but...
I got a little curious about what all the fuss was about. That's when I came across this
http://www.macabiskirt.com/how-it-works-men
I think that the full-length skirt is definitely viable as a kind of martial arts monk look. The clipped together style is a bit MC Hammer, but you might get away without too much mirth/scrutiny after dark, although not in an English pub. But the fully raised style is not working for me - at all. Sort of low-budget Shakespeare production.
I see on a parallel thread this evening that Alex is suggesting we take our camino discussions a bit more seriously... oh dear.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back