• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Meeting with Ivar

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
My strange 2021 CF was over. It had been a tough one due to the fact that I'd broken my left ankle waaaaay back in Burgos, and then kept on walking waaaaay longer than I should have. (Not smart!) However, the frustrating walk ended on a very high, happy note!

Upon reaching SdeC (by bus) I dropped by Casa Ivar on a whim, without any appointment, hoping to meet the famous Ivar. I found the place easily: it was literally just a few steps away from my excellent Plaza de Mazarelos hostal. But there was a sign posted saying "Not at home."

1BpPC9WF-_xPCC4Z3pE3cduHg58ydbY4V-PJcMVGHg3YnpeORVWGJLuCk8xhxM2MBCYVNzGpYS9gplL2GQd44qeLs8LYRrPWlOI2p3mx2fM8MlBH_MUEwneeLNXahoMw6FdtdTfOnVvIeuhgEnI5zQ0kduR1YzEfiDZnrprOFVn7ppEslR2Xy2a8axFopKeBitq8XWnlwAvCJJ-r2_LS5VTAV6CWLRv4egfTV-r4Zl4D8ubST1cGcTlKb-dIZZd9FV04H2L-RGn4aUfw4DG4ZFMzsx8IeNcPb6JxoRKxfpVUIw1NAzhETMe-8z272cGxBy0tMd2bdLCWMwvRwPrN7q2eP9JaXBUmmtZku07gGAhoApmHPVtcBBxw4PHvA-XgpJIlxZSP-JmpYBJ5g1MDkAAdr5VKi1OQMvcMDnJes_OWN3lI8JyeeeZrVmgkBaupe63K8Bey4MhB-G9ApKOYCbAkTsVIcjox7yxgd_31MZwEoyo3fS9bOxetR39wbnsaqM4TPB9XxhPp6FjwF5R4z_fuHthmgRzPiQFPfxH03u4RW1HFUu8S099ftLYOLVVtpvBs8W-r7vMU8Wh2-MKpSPbgX6DJDHjC8gpfhlHTCxdwu544l09EnDiOU9UjZVPW0ag2WZkElK60eZXeWlArgTa7l0itgPX6JBJj4v7W3EccXyuOqNMeVyzR2r76fFtvjld_vQSW7W3lORI7YiO129MC3g=w703-h937-no

sRFX-K3FC83EsahFHe79es1EruPjuuDKwLStocX3A6MzBQKX9gZ3ocq2Zv6s-AIxcMjpNdnRwjYCCsxEW80XR8JleEy8KF3jjMopwAPUAz0JNPoADhsUyN3oKTKQ7e1UsHsRfDBnP_vn_cwcm1u-16gAcHDlVNTng5coRcP-PaxRHKsNT4gvT-FBV-C4NHXH7OZ0pTt9_iLFYpDW7S0zZP1rbLJ7EvJ6YGkpNvucEvjRo8AUUQJGQj0nqKOvcdXbptzgXTLyf4BUUFJ2GHMRDqXP1V-5S8Rwh-g9LisgyupQ45VTJI0nq9ooiOQYoNYBLthP2bsRh8ZkMH2DBiAtEERC2k10eojvM1mdWu7BO2uhZSR6NCKxZA3iiG-O1x4oo3uxJOHRLvWGN0ixbOyIYeGGMx_Zp9NkuH3eVVBXW7zEtQvuyh4Fh7cOi-XBij9Rc4xkNhc42AzevFTadl2wxQ82Mqwlk2yXhjbc4_kytS_1k3UsrmQ8z2D-NkfBPWse7Oz3nOnC697A1PiJ4QOJYDLutMVKWD0k6QYeyKGZnqXOVC2uWR23h0UDJTnyi6CHpTED_uL4dv148FktL15yVdH8jJX2H2Cc4viUiyqcPJAlFi_KsX60QnvYrzVyfe-Vq8pPBIvkOZiGj4bMFItVWpOc0MggVlzwu2znPD1Sx0a5u9M7AUhVAKzRUbDWh6OqwUfVPyV8C6lK8VX5oCQdxPaoIQ=w703-h937-no

So I hobbled on.

And then, just minutes later, I turned onto the Rua Nova and chanced to see a gentleman adjusting his mascarilla. His face was visible and I immediately knew that it was the Forum founder! I rushed over. "Excuse me, sir," I said in Spanish. "Are you El Senor Ivar?" Clearly surprised, he said that he was. I shook his hand and enthusiastically thanked him for the years of Camino pleasure that he had given me.

But Ivar was there with his wife and a small child in a stroller, and I didn't want to invade their privacy. So, handing my phone to his wife I had her take a quick snapshot of Ivar and me together, and then I moved on.... A memorable moment.

Thank you once more, Ivar. And may God bless you for all that you have done for so many people over the years.

tSD2KPiDHqxLF7wQAbQd_c__LlmYat9BASVX13KzAkkEGU8y0GclPhkhZsWdl0wNJcmTXkj6gMwLIBJhvM2wX_ysD66-2uXcPAvthy53PHlREIRQ0_n-P8RC_BMXypjqkD6oswHijBZ3cfs3TdbPen2BVKaslpoIDnbynbIkunnCCvMNCfxk2tLMTsOdYJLxhLVcD_EtdALr_39XPdqWjn2aDu6QWQAsZ3c018utXe-QEqKvN7nqyP1_z6-YO4sx_a1roHtKWpfMWAmdJyCQFmn_-vw28Pje3bXOf53_wjWvynGXIrcth5qK2mH4lkOIkUMNG_avTcMzpEu1TC2cKi96ygmXzf508RDF1kq0sxqg-alj72h7Y6j2U9QHlLSSP5pOUm7J1eav4DRsIcgiNx1o2h-G72oX-kIyoZh3svRf7Olkj_8oooCEK3UUZj2aKCRA_fxn9ZlM_8M7EBqPwH0wwuMJuAYaAKpxeqiu1Y9n_aIRjRzQi5DDZXyYV0p5rVZJEWH8_woi0wIIS1x6xswp4tRoTPfaLb6cuyW71siBHY0Hie-XdyfI0ppXGtmSGKT6GevEvDJ_UyTo09aJmFZm197lGw8fA05Sp7tQMXlW8E_TFv7K-6sw7z6H3OypOcplFEke-gp9hzYPal7YZ__yjttrGNEW_mUExFN9bOpueF6xRwotvyR136R2WS2Cf72YVdJYB4wHHZQlLUboO5iqoQ=w703-h937-no

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow, a broken foot! I hope it is healing well, rev!
I met Ivar at the end of my last camino in May of 2019 and he showed me his computer used on the forum. I wish you would have both removed your masks, but still a nice photo!

I , too, went by Casa Ivar’s, while in SdC, and found the same note. Needless to say was disappointed not able to thank Ivar in person on how much the Forum helped me have a very successful Camino Frances. I did go by the Pilgrim House (thanks to Ivar’s video interview) and gave my thanks for their wonderful assistance.

OUCH 🤕! Hope you are healing well and able to 🚶🏻‍♂️🚶🏻‍♂️very soon!🙏🙏
The reflection in the Casa Ivar pic had me LMAO, I have the same iPhone cover, a knock-off, not frequently seen in a grown up. PS: it has never been my goal to grow up, whatever that means. 🤔😉

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My strange 2021 CF was over. It had been a tough one due to the fact that I'd broken my left ankle waaaaay back in Burgos, and then kept on walking waaaaay longer than I should have. (Not smart!) However, the frustrating walk ended on a very high, happy note!

Thank you for your post.

I'm sure Ivar was happy to meet you. 🙂

Of course, we all know Ivar through his videos, but he doesn't know us so I'm guessing he won't be able to walk around Santiago de Compostela incognito any more! Ah - the price of fame Ivar!! :cool:

But seriously, your and your forum and shop etc have helped so many of us that you deserve to be thanked by all of us at some time or other.

To the Rev. Rappahannock - That is some feat walking on a broken ankle and it is also very unfortunate that you broke it on your Camino.

I hope you will see a good doctor after you return home and get your bones checked for Osteoporosis which can be a very silent disease often striking suddenly when you have no symptoms until something breaks due to a trip or fall.

For me, the first warning of my osteoporosis was when I broke a toe trying to put on a slipper onto my foot so as to take a beautiful little poodle that we had outside urgently to do widdles. I now have a treatment regime to try to prevent my osteoporosis worsening but the most important medical advice was a very stern warning - "Don't have a trip or fall!" :oops:

Best

Did you go into Pilgrim House as well?
Yeah for the Pilgrim House! My third time in SdC but first time visiting you fine folks at the PH! Great atmosphere, clean bathrooms, printed my boarding pass, and just provided a nice warm welcome.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.