• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My mentoring truism: a fool and his money are easily parted.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have obviously missed out on previous caminos, as I don't remember ever "experiencing a methodology that supported me to gain perspective on what is important to me", nor did I ever "update my reality map and create an action plan for the future".

How did I manage?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To all on forum: pay me 1650 euro and I'll guide you expertly.

1,650? No way.

Come to me folks. For 884 euros per person... you will get my experience of 3 Caminos. My charm.
The experience that one can only get from truly walking the Camino.

I will assist you from fitting shoes, packs and more. Then walk all the way with you.

I will guide you on any Camino you desire. Personal guide so you will not get lost.

You will learn how to live with snoring people. Walk in the rain and mud. Drink and eat with real people. And more.
Just for 884 euros.

Form up in Seville. Then bus, train or walk to where every you desire.

Note: all cost of transportation, food and lodging is extra and on you.

For a extra 300 euros I will be your personal guide to Seville.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Something for everyone I guess. The combo walking and talking or meditative walking are excellent for the body and soul, maybe that is why I return year after year - albeit for about €1.000 less with transportation included!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I live on the Camino. Great knowledge of History, Art, popular culture, legends of the Camino. For half of money I make guide and carry the backpack of the client "turigrino"
Jajajajajajajaj,Lol.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A pilgrimage path as backdrop for pop-psychology personal-development excursion. No mention anywhere of the deep spiritual roots of this walking path and practice, or any background on why their charming infrastructure developed. Nope. It's all about ME.
I wonder how often one of the "clients" turns pilgrim and busts loose on his own!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You will learn how to live with snoring people.
You going to guarantee this Marty by sleeping in the albergue too?

Note to others: Marty graciously removed himself outdoors on our first night on camino in Valcarlos so the indoor occupants would get some sleep. I imagine he must have suffered a defenestration on some previous camino.

I don't really understand why you all make fun of this travel agency.
So many people here ask for advice and seem to need help with about anything a Camino can involve. What to bring, when to go, where to sleep, how to book, how to fly, which bus, what to eat...
Seems quite logical to me that booking this type of guidance is quite a good idea for many Camino interested people.

I don't really understand why you all make fun of this travel agency.
So many people here ask for advice and seem to need help with about anything a Camino can involve. What to bring, when to go, where to sleep, how to book, how to fly, which bus, what to eat...
Seems quite logical to me that booking this type of guidance is quite a good idea for many Camino interested people.

Its the language. The ad copy itself. I don't make fun of the other travel agencies.....just this one that uses the Camino as a venue for something else. Anyone who spent time in a corporation at the senior level recognizes this language. Companies spend their training budgets teaching their junior workers how to operate the IT systems or run the machines, and motivating their executives to to extend themselves to putting in 26 hours a day. There is a whole industry out their aimed at taking corporate people, or corporate wanna-be's, and making them better, more dedicated, more brain washed, and thus more efficient cogs in the machine. The irony of doing this on the Camino, which I regard as the antidote to this disease, is just too much.

Or perhaps I just missed your point! Either way, Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Having to work with people like this over 25 years ago almost sent me ' Batshit crazy ' .
The trauma of which still affects me today .
The worst aspect of this psychobabble is that in most cases the exponent passionately believes in it ; that is until the next new money making scheme presents itself . One clear purpose of my recent Camino was to clear myself of these past scars . The thought of such nonsense polluting the pure and simple walk that the Camino is is horrifying.

A place my husband used to work would have loved this - they were very big on corporate doubletalk. If this was the way to get my job to pay for my camino, I guess I'd do it (but I'd probably walk with earplugs to avoid being coached on the way). (No, my job wouldn't pay for anything like this.)

:D:D
You going to guarantee this Marty by sleeping in the albergue too?

Note to others: Marty graciously removed himself outdoors on our first night on camino in Valcarlos so the indoor occupants would get some sleep. I imagine he must have suffered a defenestration on some previous camino.
:D:D:D.... poor Marty has been outed by his Camino friends :cool:... haha

Having to work with people like this over 25 years ago almost sent me ' Batshit crazy ' .
The worst aspect of this psychobabble is that in most cases the exponent passionately believes in it ; that is until the next new money making scheme presents itself . One clear purpose of my recent Camino was to clear myself of these past scars . The thought of such nonsense polluting the pure and simple walk that the Camino is is horrifying.

Yes I agree .... the whole purpose, joy and relief of my Camino was to be free of this and everything ... AND .... I can't wait to be that free again !

Curious to hear if you get a response.

@LTfit I just received a reply from the owner of the company. As it was a private message it would be inappropriate to paste it here, but the main points were that the venture was the result of many Caminos walked by the person who decided to share what he saw as the benefits with others. He adds that he had to start charging because the pressure of large numbers of people now walking made it difficult to secure accommodation etc. so, to minimise the anxieties about where they would be staying each night, the upfront cost is a way of guaranteeing them peace of mind. I still don't accept - as @Rebekah Scott wrote - using the Camino as a backdrop for this, but acknowledge the courtesy of the person taking the time to respond. In my own experience, in order to learn, the journey needs to be undertaken as a solitary one (notwithstanding meeting and getting to know folk along the way) and to paraphrase the great Van Morrison 'No Guru, No Mentor, No Teacher' except of course the road itself, the destination and for those of us with faith, reference to higher powers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tut tut tut.
You're all bringing negative energy to the space they're speaking to.
You need to take a helicopter view and have a look inside the bonnet
and get in touch with your inner chimp.

Maybe the market's flooded with "motivational books" and this is a
new outlet ? If it floats your boat then why not join my yogic classes
on Enterprise Shoelace Tightening ?

€149,-
Tut tut tut.
You're all bringing negative energy to the space they're speaking to.
You need to take a helicopter view and have a look inside the bonnet
and get in touch with your inner chimp.

Maybe the market's flooded with "motivational books" and this is a
new outlet ? If it floats your boat then why not join my yogic classes
on Enterprise Shoelace Tightening ?
Do you just accelerate the lace tightening or is incubation involved?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's the psychobabble that made me laugh. Bingo!
Not psychobable, managementbable.

Have you tried reading the book about Zappos? I received it as a present. :confused::confused::confused::confused: And then, all these "coaching certifications": pay €£¥$ and become certifies. :mad:

The babble is everywhere. I was recently invited to an "epicurean journey" hosted by a "brand ambassador" (i.e., wine rep). The "Dinner Experience" (I wish I was making that term up) was $180.

Sadly, there was no word on whether the experience included alternative lodging. That would have made for a fun night.

The babble is everywhere. I was recently invited to an "epicurean journey" hosted by a "brand ambassador" (i.e., wine rep).

My brother was once "brand ambassador" for a very well known spirit. The job title lifted his spirit, and perhaps made him take a lower paying job because of the title. All the relatives, not in the business, were so impressed by the new job. Little dod they know he was basically a barman at private or marketing functions.

Alas this nonesense works for/on many. I felt so sorry for him for being conned.

:cool:... Can we get back to talking about El Camino now ? and not the psycho babble o_O.... i wish to leave the real and unreal world when I go walking and be in nature and JUST BE

Sad. Corporate nonsense on the beautiful Via....
Very sad indeed. One of the attractions of the Camino is the opportunity to get away from corporate gobbledygook and psychobabble. Paying through the nose to have it foisted on you is surely the mark of a masochist.

Jeez. Each to his own. Is a true pilgrim not less judgemental and acknowledges a place for everyone and everything? Some people seem to think a Camino or pilgrimage must only be done one way...their way...and everyone else is batshit crazy!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My best advice is;

"Todo directo"

€149,-
Just go by yourself and if you want to get into the spirit of the camino, just lock on the caminocitations site and take one or two citations that talk to you for each day ; we are all on our path, just try to make it usefull for our personal development. It is a personal search that does not require any paid guide : caminocitationsweb.wordpress.com

Jeez. Each to his own. Is a true pilgrim not less judgemental and acknowledges a place for everyone and everything? Some people seem to think a Camino or pilgrimage must only be done one way...their way...and everyone else is batshit crazy!

Hi @Joan Adams, welcome to the forum. Wow, but that seems to be an angry first post. The 'true pilgrim' stuff might be a good fire starter for arguments, but it doesn't get too much traction on the forum in terms of those who care about the Camino, the people who walk it while respecting its Christian origins and religious meaning for many modern pilgrims. The 'true plgrim' stuff is just bear-baiting for beginners, and always a 'go to' for trolls and attention seekers, but if you read the very thoughtful posts from @Rebekah Scott, @peregrina2000, @Anniesantiago, @dougfitz and so many other valuable contributors to this forum you will get a idea of the inherent value of walking the Camino. I can't speak for others, but there seems to be a marked cognitive dissonance from those businesses that try to take all that is good and valuable about the Camino in terms of human experiences and attempt to turn it into a marketised, personal growth mentor-led ersatz 'pilgrimage' but with all the difficult religion stuff removed. Still, it doesn't make me angry it makes me sad because the non-store bought Camino pilgrimage with all its highs and lows is price-less. Bom Caminho in September!

Oh yes the camino deffently seems to have been a moneytree for the moneyturisme.

€149,-
I have obviously missed out on previous caminos, as I don't remember ever "experiencing a methodology that supported me to gain perspective on what is important to me", nor did I ever "update my reality map and create an action plan for the future".

How did I manage?
You just walked? ;)

It does sound more like a money-making scheme than a proposal to enhance people's experience of the Camino..

For my part - am starting the Camino Frances 12 Sept SJPP and I certainly of expect to "update my reality map and create an action plan for the future" - the clearing of the mind, the distillation of the day's activities to putting one foot in front of the other, and the (optional) peace of walking by oneself leaves plenty of scope for the mind to cleanse itself of day-to-day detritus and focus on some inner matters... There are many posts here attesting to the personal renewal that the Camino may engender (OK - it doesn't happen to everyone)...

But paying someone else to organise it all and inject their version of psychobabble into the equation?? May work for some but not for me....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks so much for your first post, Joan.

I've been very uneasy about this one. Healthy cynicsm is one thing but do I detect a whiff (perhaps stronger) of intolerance creeping in? Some people simply need to do it this way for the fellowship and security, who knows? A few years back a good friend of mine, after an 18 month stint in hospital did an emotional religious pilgrimage to Santiago - by bus.

And the Camino has, after all, morphed into a significant commercial venture. The language, well... Perhaps it's an ESL (English as a second language) issue but in my working life the Public Service spent millions sending us to courses touting claims like this, but with no walk, no visit to historic sites, and a lousy lunch. Some were fun, some a bore, all totally useless from my perspective (lie flat on the floor close your eyes, and think of a peaceful beach scene, true, but some participants said it actually refreshed and remotivated them).

As for the cost, it doesn't seem unreasonable for what similar operations charge. How much for a ten day cruise down the Rhine? A week or so back, one of the Travel supplements in a magazine highlighted a 9 day guided segment as part of a longer 1000k walk in Western Australia. $2750 per person twin share?

But how about a stir? Time and again, I see recommendations on this site for particular boots, packs, walking poles etc, which work out at prices which to me are absolutely outrageous and way way way over the top for what they should be. And people don't seem to jib at that. As for using apps to book accommodation ahead???

But please let's try to exercise tolerance, and thanks, Joan for highlighting this.

De colores

Bogong

I must concur with @Bogong. The guy isn't lying or misrepresenting, he's simply using a particular language that appeals to a particular type of person (2000+ likes on his FB page), and framing the Camino experience in a way that'll appeal to them. Nothing wrong with that. His price isn't out of whack either - I've seen many holistic workshop advertised at $5000 in exotic locations. Perhaps someone should invite the business owner to take part in this discussion and explain his product and counter the criticism. That'll only be fair. Everyone's clobbering the poor guy and he probably doesn't even know it.

13.75€ Toll for every kilometre,..... Through next 120kms!
An expensive highway, Hey?
There is an old Spanish movie (Comedy) called ....Camino de Santiago... The movie shows the peculiar businesses established on and around the Camino!!
A Spanish saying : without Daft, Smart wouldn't exist or survive!
At the end of the day let people spend their money where and on what they may see convenient, no matter how rediculous it may sound to us.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back