• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My minimalist pack

S

Sojourner47

Just to show what's possible,and to illustrate my continual banging on about carrying too much stuff,
I think I can finally post some pics of my gear and loaded pack for next camino, courtesy of my good forum friend downsizing them for me.
The complete list:
Pound shop rucsac, pound shop poncho, spare underpants and top, 2 x socks, 1 thick socks instead of sandals for inside albergues,2 x muslins plus usual wash kit, first aid kit, silk liner, etc, all up weight 1.1kgs without water.
(I need a source of light weight water - if anyone knows such please let me know)

Attachments

• PICT0242(1) (400x300).jpg
    PICT0242(1) (400x300).jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,912
  • PICT0243(4) (400x300).jpg
    PICT0243(4) (400x300).jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,898
  • PICT0244 (400x300).jpg
    PICT0244 (400x300).jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,872
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looks impressive Sojourner although I don't see myself walking that " light ". Extra zip off trouser and shirt ( Icebreaker type ) I would add to feel more comfortable.
Also the thick socks for interior albergue: would swap socks for Crocs ( ugly as hell but perfect for shower and walking into town ). Some of the showerfloors are really disgusting and the Crocs made it all more clean and hygienic.

Nice!

I thought I'd settled on my pack (Talon 33) but after traveling with it for a couple days with the volume of stuff I'll have on the camino, I think it's too big. It is more than half empty and since it doesn't have a stiff frame, it carries weirdly and is a pain to get stuff out of because it's so saggy. I think I'm going to have to just go to REI with the kit I'm bringing and pack it into various packs to see what works. I can see myself going down to a 20l pack though pretty easily - especially if I can find one with a lid or an easy way to carry water.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm not a huge fan of hydration pacs. I know they say you're not supposed to be able to tell, but they always taste rubbery to me. When I did my last long hike I used one and I put a cup of strong tea in it every morning to mask the flavor and that worked but without carrying cleaning equipment it started to get funky after a week or so. Would hate to see what it was like after a month. :shock:

I found a 20l with a lid on REI.com and I might give that a go. We'll see. I'll be traveling in the US for 2 weeks and hitting 3 cities with large REI stores before I head to Europe so I can try a few different things during that time.

Try adding a pinch of Gatorade, Koolaid or such. That's what we did with our old tin canteens in the military.

but that's where my concern about it getting funky comes in - particularly if adding something that is sticky... I would use tea like before but I don't want to carry the cleaning equipment and I think that after 5 months of travel (or even just the 5 weeks of the camino) it would be disgusting without using the special equipment to clean the tube and mouth piece. Do you carry cleaning stuff with you to clean out the tube, etc.? Or do you just not think about it? lol

I love my hydration pack (have two of different sizes), and am currently using the larger one walking in Wales. It tastes far more rubbery than the other one. The other day at breakfast, when I asked to fill it with water, the waitress added some slices of lemon. That made a huge difference. I'm hoping since lemons are acidic, not sticky, cleaning won't be so bad, but I guess I can't test it well since we've finished hiking and only had the lemons in there two days. But something to try for the future (although you'd have to be able to find lemons ...).

Melanie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sojourner47: I am a BIG FAN of packing lightly, but you are the undisputed champion. Very impressive! :D

daesdaemar said:
Sojourner47: I am a BIG FAN of packing lightly, but you are the undisputed champion. Very impressive! :D
Born out of hard experience. Years ago I travelled out through Europe and Asia to Australia overland (not walking, apart from miles and miles through towns and cities - hitching a lot of the time...) and I started out with a HUGE, HEAVY Bergan rucsac - no hip belts in those days, or Goretex/lightweight clothing/fabric boots or trainers- which I carried for a couple of weeks before gradually ditching stuff until I was down to a small airline shoulder bag. Hence my obsession with travelling light. :D

I lose as much weight in the first two days as your pack weighs, so I suppose it would be like not taking a pack at all!

I am old, overweight, and like a light pack, but I also like some creature comforts. I have now walked two stages without a pack, and there is a big difference between having a pack and not having a pack. But at 10 kg, I do just fine for the stages I walk. So my iPhone, charger, camera, extra clothes, sitting mat, cup, KFS, SA knife, Crocs, towel, razor, nail clippers, pen, guidebook, etc. still go with me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
falcon269 said:
I lose as much weight in the first two days as your pack weighs, so I suppose it would be like not taking a pack at all!
I lost more weight too, more than my pack weight in the end. But the weight I lost was more conveniently distributed around my body for walking than a pack can ever be.

For my next trip (the St Olav Way) I am still battling to get my pack weight down a bit more, while still meeting the minimum safety requirements for walking through the mountains. Not there yet, but it won't be anywhere near Sojourner47's latest effort.

If you meet extreme weather conditions soujourner you will not be able to continue. I had goretex coat,no over trousers, 1 change of clothes, 2/3 times at lunch time I went into cafe and stripped off every item! put on dry spares, walked on. So, that night I had no dry spares ? and it was cold, without heat or drying facilities, I carried only 5kgs, dont need a towel or toiletries. But next time I will source an ultralight waterproof, and carry a merino layer as night time/spares. Above all you must be fit to walk next day, my pack an omm classis 32 was ideal.

i too have the OMM 32...did you go lean with it or leave all the features on?..i'm thinking specifically of the double fold integral mat/padding.I added a key fob solar powered led torch to me strap(next to the integral whistle)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.