• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My moment at the Cruz de Ferro- a memorial

RoryGentry

Follow me!!! (Where are we, anyway?)
Time of past OR future Camino
Burgos to Santiago, Sept. 16-Oct. 3, 2013

Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia to Santiago, April 2014
When I started the camino, I didn't know why I was there. I'd been planning this trip with friends for months, but the "purpose" behind doing it had escaped me. I had to explain to people what the camino was many times during my preparation- a religious pilgrimage for some, sport for others, etc. I would regularly get the question, "Why are you doing it?" My stock answer became, "I don't know. I'll find out when I get there."

My friends started in St. Jean, but having less time away from work, I met them at Burgos to start my camino with them. We stepped off on September 16, 2013. After the first couple of days of hiking, I started getting into "reflective mode." Thinking about life, what I was doing, etc. I came to terms with a few things that had been on my mind, and started to think that I was discovering what my camino was about. Within a couple of days, that would all change.

On September 20, 2013, we were sitting in a small bar waiting to catch a bus to Leon. I had severely twisted my ankle and another member of our 3-person party was pretty sick, so we decided to get to a city where we would have better resources and take a couple of days to recuperate. I had picked up a Vodaphone SIM card for my phone that was pretty much worthless, and I rarely had a decent connection. I pulled out my phone and saw a notification on the screen. My sister had apparently been trying to reach me, and had to resort to using Facebook for messages. I only saw the most recent notification on the screen.

"Rod did not make it. I'm sorry. Thought you would want to know."

WHAT? As quickly as that thought raced through my mind, it was followed by another. I knew what must have happened.

I've been a police officer for 18 years, and Rod (my niece's husband) had been a police officer for nearly 6 years. I knew something had gone terribly wrong. I tried to check the rest of my messages, but couldn't get a decent signal. I went to the bartender and asked for the WiFi password. As soon as I put it in and had a connection, messages began flooding my phone. I was basically reading them in reverse chronological order. The bottom line was that Rod had been responding to a domestic call, and had been shot and killed. My friends had no idea what I was reading. We had all been chatting with some new pilgrim friends when I received the first message, and they might not have even noticed when I got up from the table. In a state of shock I walked back to the table and laid my phone down in front of my friends so they could see the message. I broke down, and walked away. After wandering around for a few minutes I returned to the table, where my friends did their best to console me. I started wondering how and when I would need to get home, and what needed to be done. I sent a message back to my sister and told her to send me one big update when the facts were more clear. The day was lost, and my spirit was crushed. It's tough being thousands of miles from your family at a time like that, even though my friends did their best to comfort me.

A day later I received the update from my sister. To my surprise, she said that the family had all met for a dinner to start making necessary plans for the funeral. They discussed my situation, and everyone decided that I should continue the camino as a memorial to Rod. After some soul searching and deep thought, I decided they were right. I would do my best to find a way to memorialize him, although I wasn't sure what to do.

Fortunately, we were in Leon and I was able to find some supplies. I found a sleeveless flourescent yellow shirt, some markers, and a pad of paper. I was able to bunch up the shoulders of the shirt and run carabiners through each side, and it hung perfectly over the back of my pack, like a cape. Using the pad of paper, I laid out a simple design that I could trace onto the shirt with markers.

IMG_1389 small.jpg

When I looked at it, it seemed too simple... but what else could I do? The next morning I put the makeshift memorial flag on my pack, and we started making our way out of Leon.

IMG_1397 8x10 small.jpg

The first person to ask "who is Rod" happened to be a retired police officer. I had not yet met any other police officers on the camino, so it was almost a blessing that the first person to ask would be another cop. He understood the loss of a family member, and a police officer. It was really comforting, and looking back on it now, it was kind of a profound experience.

So, I began walking the camino, hoping that people would notice the shirt. I was told several times that it was hard NOT to notice the big flourescent banner that was hanging from my pack- it was visible from quite a distance. LOL

Fast forward to September 24. We had stopped at Monte Irago in Foncebadon so that we would reach the Cruz de Ferro very early the next morning. We started off just before daybreak. I was concentrating so much on watching my step and protecting my injured ankle that I was missing the beautiful sunrise. I found a nice sized flat rock along the trail, and decided it would be a good one to write a memorial message on. As I carried it up the road with me, I kept looking down at Rod's name on the stone. Hard to believe he was gone. Since I wasn't with family and didn't know all of the facts about what had happened, I was really lacking perspective and closure. I was hoping that my visit to the Cruz de Ferro would act as my own personal "memorial service," and ease my mind a bit.

As I walked along the rock-strewn path (still trying to protect my ankle from further injury), I would occasionally look at Rod's name again on the stone. As I looked down at the pathway, I suddenly saw a large message that a pilgrim had spelled out with sticks and stones:

IMG_1545 8x10 small.jpg

At that moment, I felt like that message had been written just for me. My eyes teared up as I stared at it for a long moment. I decided that I needed to keep moving to reach the cross, so I looked down the path for the first time in a while... but instead of the path ahead of me, I saw a small hill... with a tall pole... and an iron cross on top. I was so wrapped up in my thoughts about Rod and watching the trail that I did not even realize I had arrived. The timing was almost shocking, and my eyes immediately teared up again.

We were there very early, so there were not many other pilgrims around. My friends took their turns climbing the hill, dropping their stones, and taking their pictures. I wasn't quite ready yet. I was actually a little bit overwhelmed at how this had just unfolded, and needed a few minutes to think. When I was ready, I made my slow walk up the hill to the base of the cross. I knelt down, and placed my stone at the base of the cross. I placed my hand on the post, said a prayer, and wept like a baby. It was the first time I had really been able to "let it all out." It was an important moment for me, as I knew this would be the closest thing to a "memorial service" that I would have. Although I was several thousand miles from my family, for a moment, I felt like I was not alone.

The few pilgrims who were there stood back respectfully, and gave me several minutes alone at the top of the hill. I had left my pack near the fence, so I'm sure they had seen my flag, put 2 + 2 together, and understood the situation. As I came down the hill, two pilgrims silently hugged me and patted me on the back. I felt a tremendous sense of relief. (My friends had been taking photos of me while I was on the hill.) I watched as another pilgrim went to the top of the hill, and I could see that he was reading the large stone I had carried up there. I watched as he silently touched the stone and bowed his head, as if he was saying a prayer.

cruz de ferro multi small.jpg

A day later I was contacted by a friend who works for a local TV news station. He had been following my Facebook updates, and knew that Rod was a member of my family. He asked if I would be willing to do a telephone interview about the camino and my memorial, and I agreed. He pulled some photos from my Facebook page and had one of the reporters call me. They didn't use the sound bites that I thought were the best, and the reporter made it sound a little bit cheesy (in my opinion), but my friends all seemed to think it was well done.

This link is a general story about Rod's death:
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/community-pays-respects-to-officer-rod-bradway-during-visitation
This link is the interview I did:
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/on-pilgrimage-remembering-rod-bradway

Thanks for listening/ reading. I didn't intend to ramble on so much, but I wanted to tell the whole story. If you ae one of the pilgrims I met along the way who offered kind words, prayers, and support, you have my eternal gratitude.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Rory, I am glad you were able to remember Rod in such a special way, and I am sure it meant a lot to all the family.
You were open to the meaning the Camino had for you while you were walking it. You could never have predicted what a tragedy would strike- but hopefully your placing of the stone at the Cruz de Ferro will help bring others some healing in the midst of their grief.
Margaret

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
.... and as long as he's in your memory, Rod will continue to walk with you, for the rest of your life....
Every blessing to you, Rory.
Buen camino....

WOW...your story really touched me! What happened to Rod was such a tragedy; what happened to you was a miracle! I am in the process of writing a book about my Camino experience and what others went through, I would like to include your story... with your permission. Keep on with you Camino journey, when we finish the walk it's the beginning of a new page in our lives. Jim Kasynski

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lovely post. Sorry about the sad news, but well done for responding the way you did and sharing with us. I also left a memorial at the Cruz to a loved and lost family member (my still born grandson). I can imagine how you felt walking the Camino in his memory, hopefully it gave you a good environment to come to terms with your grief.

Rory, my husband Karl and I met you and your friends on the way down from Cruz Fero and saw you several times in the days thereafter all the way into Santiago. We could not believe your courage and determination to carry on in the face of such personal tragedy and such physical pain from your ankle. That was a very steep, tough descent from Cruz Fero and may have been a little tougher from the catharsis that we all experienced there.

Your walk was a beautiful memorial to Rod and called attention to the selfless service of police officers who risk themselves every day to protect us. You had a LOT of people out there on the Camino praying for you and Rod and his family.

I clearly remember that Pilgrim's message spelled out in the rocks (we have a pretty nice photo of it; let me know if you'd like us to send it). No, you are not alone.

Hugs, Leslie and Karl

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks everyone!

Leslie, I sent you a private message.

Rory, I believe that sometimes we get messages when we least expect them. That sign you saw was meant for you and it all made sence. I'm sure you will walk the Camino again.

I´m sorry for your loss.
You´ll carry him in your backpack forever as I say when someone we love has died.
And I totally agree as you say "Never Alone!"

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I cannot think of a more beautiful memorial for your niece's husband. Very sorry about your loss.

Rory, like you, I carried something to that hill that had special meaning. Two things really moved me. First, the journey to leave a rock for a dear friend dying of cancer. Second, the fact that I was not alone as I stood next to that pole. Brother, we all stood with you on that day. And we stand with you now as you continue your journey. God bless...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Rory - thank you for sharing your "Camino Purpose" and yes I do believe that we get messages in the strangest places, but where we have someone to support us. The Camino will forever be a small part of your family (especially for you and your niece). Maybe she can walk it with you sometime in the future. Peace be with you. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That was the best post I have read on this forum. It brought tears and it explained things perfectly from your point of view and experience. Thank you. Our condolences.

Rory,

You told me your story in a bar somewhere after Ferrerios...we were having a beer and you and Brett(I think that is his name, forgive me if I am mistaken) were talking about being police officers and we were discussing gun control.I remember being in awe that you were able to continue your journey.I am glad to have met you..you and all of the others that I met shaped my Camino..I hope the walk allowed you some closure.I am sure your nephews family is so thankful that you were able to honor him in the way that you did. Buen Camino and please give my best to Brett and his wife(sorry her name escapes me now).I hope she is feeling better.I know the last few days were not good for her.Glad to know you are all home safely!

Stephanie(Toronto Canada)
You might remember me as the one whose daughter broke both arms and you all were so supportive in asking about her!!!

I started reading your chronicle mostly because I loved reaching la Cruz de Ferro, but as soon I started reading it was as if written by myself. I didn't know why I went either and during my preparation I had a handful of answers for different people.
I stayed in Foncebadon and knew exactly what to do once there, so I stayed for an hour waiting for people to leave in order to stay by myself.
When walking towards the Cruz I was very focused on the road, it was dark and foggy, so I "stumbled" with the cross. On September 20th I finished my Camino, had left SJPP on August 14th and gone all the way to Finisterre was taking the train back to Barcelona starting my way back home in Venezuela.

Your experience, your story, the coincidence in the details, it all made me realize how many bonds the camino creates among all of us who left everything and went on an uncharted adventure.
I just can say to you and to Rod: BUEN CAMINO!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks so much for your replies and private messages- the kind words really lift my spirits. I've shared a few with my family. :)

For those who have recognized me from the camino, it is good to hear from you! I'll be sending private messages shortly. So happy to be seeing my fellow pilgrims here!!!

Great post. Thanks for sharing. By the way, you have the coolest avatar on this forum by far!

Great post. Thanks for sharing. By the way, you have the coolest avatar on this forum by far!

That avatar is nearly a perfect double of me. I wore the same shirt, and the pants/ pack/ hat also match what I wore on the camino. I kept that little dude in my pocket the entire way, and occasionally posed him in a few photos. I also left another one (with a yellow head) at the Cruz de Ferro, but when I went back to take a photo of it, someone had snatched it.

Sometimes he drank with us:
IMG_1132 lego.jpg
IMG_1087 lego.jpg
Sometimes he would even buy a drink:
IMG_1245 lego.jpg

Sometimes he just looked for friends to meet along the way:
IMG_2068 lego.jpg
IMG_1039 lego.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for sharing the pics! Rob

Hi Rory, thanks for sharing your story, what a beautiful thing to do!
I love your avatar and your pictures are great.
Jenny

He is a serious looking dude Rory. BTW I also saw people from a tour bus at the cross picking up items that others had left. That would be considered very bad luck here.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
BTW I also saw people from a tour bus at the cross picking up items that others had left. That would be considered very bad luck here.
Funny... I've been telling people, "If they only knew the bad mojo I left behind with that guy, they wouldn't want to touch it." LOL

Thank you for sharing your story, Rory. I walked in honor of my sister and my mother who died shortly before I began. It was a heavy burden and also a release from grief. The Camino was right where you could do the most for your family, holding them in prayer, letting yourself feel the loss of your niece's husband without distractions in a deep and powerful way. Your story makes me cry this morning and remember the raw emotions of my own walk. Many people tell me I have no idea of all the people I've touched with my experience and stories. I believe you have reached many people with your telling and re-telling your story. May God bless you Rory. You are never alone.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back