• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Morning Sandwich/Bocadillo Baguette Production

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

Since my return home from Camino, I missed the food. In response, I've been not only learning and working to 'perfect' various menu items I ate along the way, but I also took up artisan bread baking primarily to make the type of sandwich baguette (shorter and squatter than its cousin) that I enjoyed in France and Spain. There are some differences in the preparation of the Spanish from the French versions, but I'm doing both.

My sourdough loaves and rounds are relatively easy to get a good product, compared to getting the 'perfect' baguette. I seldom miss a day without making breads. We end up giving a lot of fresh breads to our friends :)

America produces some wonderful cured and dried hams, but the jamon in Spain, with its wonderful regional variations, is missed. As is the Spanish chorizo. :(

1521497273210.png

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I like sandwiches...a lot.
My only complaint about the bocadillos I ate in Spain along the Camino was the sparse amount of jamon they put on them at times. I often felt like saying, "c'mon cheap charlie, throw some more on that bread, please".

My only complaint about the bocadillos I ate in Spain along the Camino was the sparse amount of jamon they put on them at times. I often felt like saying, "c'mon cheap charlie, throw some more on that bread, please".
That's exactly why I make them on my own. I put in them whatever amount and ingredient I want :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I missed the butter!!! Not as tasty without plenty of it:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Since my return home from Camino, I missed the food. In response, I've been not only learning and working to 'perfect' various menu items I ate along the way, but I also took up artisan bread baking primarily to make the type of sandwich baguette (shorter and squatter than its cousin) that I enjoyed in France and Spain. There are some differences in the preparation of the Spanish from the French versions, but I'm doing both.

My sourdough loaves and rounds are relatively easy to get a good product, compared to getting the 'perfect' baguette. I seldom miss a day without making breads. We end up giving a lot of fresh breads to our friends :)

America produces some wonderful cured and dried hams, but the jamon in Spain, with its wonderful regional variations, is missed. As is the Spanish chorizo. :(]
Your bread looks wonderful! What kind of starter are you using for sourdough?[/QUOTE]

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Watch out Dave. With pics like that we may all show for breakfast.:cool:
(Wow. I'm impressed. Happy eating! Fantastic bread like that only needs olive oil, salt, and a sprinkle of smoked paprika! Save yourself some money and wait to buy the latter in Spain...it's really cheap, and delicious.)

Your bread looks wonderful! What kind of starter are you using for sourdough?
[/QUOTE]

I cultivated my own starter, using a combination of whole wheat grains, barley grains, and rye. We have access to whole grains and we have done some of our own milling. Not so much now, but it was a great way to get a starter, well, started :) I feed the ripened starter with a high protein all purpose flour. Since I use it so frequently for baking, I will feed it twice a day. It produces a tanginess in between a mild and a sharp. A 'medium sharp'? :)

If I want a more subtle 'tang' to a bread, I will use less of the starter, and only let it develop in the dough for 8 hours at room temperature. For a tangier bread , I let the dough refrigerate for 14 hours to allow a more moderate, but higher overall acid production. That method seems to work better for me than to rely on hotter or colder water for the dough mixture and trying to proof at higher temperatures.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Watch out Dave. With pics like that we may all show for breakfast.:cool:
(Wow. I'm impressed. Happy eating! Fantastic bread like that only needs olive oil, salt, and a sprinkle of smoked paprika! Save yourself some money and wait to buy the latter in Spain...it's really cheap, and delicious.)

That is one way to get us pilgrims together and share remembrances. Hey, I'll even make Tortillas de Patata and have a Torta de Santiago ready for desert ;-)

Dave, you need to raise some pigs to make your own artisan jamon.

If you ever see the brand La Quercia check it out. They are raising heritage breed pigs in Iowa (even feeding some a diet of acorns!) and producing some ham that is on par with Spanish jamon / Italian prosciutto.

Looking at their website, they are calling it "American Prosciutto", but it's sweeter than prosciutto from Italy, and reminds me more of Spanish jamon.
http://laquercia.us/

Buen provecho!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you ever see the brand La Quercia check it out. They are raising heritage breed pigs in Iowa (even feeding some a diet of acorns!) and producing some ham that is on par with Spanish jamon / Italian prosciutto.

Looking at their website, they are calling it "American Prosciutto", but it's sweeter than prosciutto from Italy, and reminds me more of Spanish jamon.
http://laquercia.us/

Buen provecho!!

Boy, do those porkies look gooood!!! The acorn fed is $550.00 for an 11 pound whole ham... and they are all sold out!!! The other prosciutto varieties are pretty reasonable for the price per pound, though. I wish I could taste some of their acorn fed :)

@davebugg It's really good! Makes me proud to be from Iowa!! Keep your eyes peeled when you are out and about, I've ran across La Quercia products in some surprising places (i.e., a wine tasting room in a garage in Lodi, CA) and regular fancy grocery stores or specialty shops. Buen provecho!

My fiances favourite bocodillo is fried fresh lomo filet with green pepper.... I'm not one for a bocodillo myself so i prepare more than I eat but this combo is definately a winner... its a tradtional basque combination

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back