• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My name is Terri, and I'm a gear junkie...

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
And as such, I couldn't resist buying a new backpack. I'm sure that my trusty Marmot Graviton 36 could do another Camino, but it's starting to look a little dingy, and I came across this new lovely, The North Face Aleia 32. I just finished loading it up, and it feels very comfortable. I bought it from REI, so I have time to try it out. It's only 1 lb 15 ounces/~880 grams, and has trampoline style back which is adjustable. There is also a men's version called the Litus. aleia.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome, Terri ... My name is Linda and I am also a gear addict. I have just invested in (not just plain bought) a new, extra long silk liner even though I have a perfectly serviceable one. But I am selling stuff too, so I feel I am in balance somehow. (Note to self: Consider job in outdoorsy store to get it out of my system.)
Your new pack looks brilliant and I am already itching to google it for more specs! Congratulations!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great looking packpack. Gear hunting is half the fun. Have no plans for another camino and when walking rarely if ever stop to have a picnic but just last Wednesday I was in this fantastic Korea variety store in Sydney selling all sorts of wonderful, well-made, bargain stuff and picked up a concertina folded sit pad that was so light it almost floated out of my hands. Cost all of $4.80! And I’ll probably never pack it to take on a camino. :p:p:p

You're a guy!
I'm not a guy. I wore the same shirt for all my at-home hiking and caminos for three years, torn, stitched-up, patched and repatched.
When I decided it really was time to replace it I went back to the same store and bought the exact same shirt again. Different colour. It has been patched.
Last year they came out with the same shirt in a colour I actually like. When it came on sale this year I bought one. I had promised myself that if it dropped in price again I'd actually get another one to put away for 2021 - I really do like it that much. But I haven't been back to the store and they're probably onto a lime green iteration of the same shirt by now;-)
I'd have been quite happy being an Israelite wandering in the wilderness for forty years with my clothes not wearing out;-) Come to think of it, THAT would have been a great time to be alive!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I made my silk liner myself: extra long with openings at the lower end to be able to "aerate" my feet when they feel hot and an extra wide fold at the upper end to go over the very large pillows in the Spanish albergues. And for sitting on rough or wet surfaces I carry the Thermarest ultralight inflatable cushion - easy on my bottom. And as far as gear is concerned otherwise - 35 years ago I inherited from my father a tiny immersion heater which you cannot find in the shops any more. This I use in a large steal mug. Thus I can make my coffee any time and minute soup when the only two electric cooking plates are occupied by somebody cooking an elaborate meal and I can use the mug on an electric plate when all of the albergue's pots have gone to the tables and not come back.

I'm not a guy. I wore the same shirt for all my at-home hiking and caminos for three years, torn, stitched-up, patched and repatched.
When I decided it really was time to replace it I went back to the same store and bought the exact same shirt again. Different colour. It has been patched.
Last year they came out with the same shirt in a colour I actually like. When it came on sale this year I bought one. I had promised myself that if it dropped in price again I'd actually get another one to put away for 2021 - I really do like it that much. But I haven't been back to the store and they're probably onto a lime green iteration of the same shirt by now;-)
I'd have been quite happy being an Israelite wandering in the wilderness for forty years with my clothes not wearing out;-) Come to think of it, THAT would have been a great time to be alive!
I'm with you, Kiwi-family. I have been using the same Mountainsmith Ghost backpack for more than 15 years. It is worn and dirty and too big but very light (2 pounds) and with terrific back support. I admit I had a fleeting thought to try out the one trecile describes, but I am getting to the point that I am now supersticious that any new pack will jinx my backpain-free caminos.

I am still wearing the shirt pictured in my avatar, which makes me easy to recognize on the Camino in conjunction with my white hair. So there are advantages to not mixing things up.:p But I really like the discussions and every now and then try out new stuff recommended on the forum.

I started a sleeping bag thread last year https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/need-help-with-a-new-sleeping-bag.47535/ but was then so overwhelmed by all the choices that I just used my husband's old REI bag. Wish I could be more decisive!

If it works for you...why change? This is the off-Camino variant of Camino Rule #Uno...everyone walks their own Camino...et seq.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just purchased Osprey Exos 38, 2.5 lbs. lighter than my previous pack. As of yet it is untried but looking forward to putting it to use. We walk our next Camino in October 2018.

I was hoping to keep conversation going. Got my wish.
Buen camino in our new and old stuff.

You're a guy!

HaHa...guilty as charged! My wife looks at how I dress some times and says in an exasperated voice, "Your not going to wear that old thing are you?" Guys tend to wear things out. At some point, new wiping rags for the garage. We don't chase the latest fashion quite so much. I know 'minimalism' of back pack sizes is the current rage, but I like my 60L pack still.

Last edited by a moderator:
And as such, I couldn't resist buying a new backpack. I'm sure that my trusty Marmot Graviton 36 could do another Camino, but it's starting to look a little dingy, and I came across this new lovely, The North Face Aleia 32. I just finished loading it up, and it feels very comfortable. I bought it from REI, so I have time to try it out. It's only 1 lb 15 ounces/~880 grams, and has trampoline style back which is adjustable. There is also a men's version called the Litus. View attachment 37312

So I was seriously looking at the Litus, but concerned about the capacity at 32 liters. Is it enough? I consider myself an ultralight backpacker and feel fairly confident I can make it work. Just looking for confirmation.

So I was seriously looking at the Litus, but concerned about the capacity at 32 liters. Is it enough? I consider myself an ultralight backpacker and feel fairly confident I can make it work. Just looking for confirmation.
My previous backpack was 36 liters, and while I have't packed this one with all of my Camino gear, I'm sure that it will all fit. And if you are an REI member, you have time to try it out. I have a friend that managed to fit everything into a 22 liter backpack, though it was like putting together a puzzle every day.

Great looking packpack. Gear hunting is half the fun. Have no plans for another camino and when walking rarely if ever stop to have a picnic but just last Wednesday I was in this fantastic Korea variety store in Sydney selling all sorts of wonderful, well-made, bargain stuff and picked up a concertina folded sit pad that was so light it almost floated out of my hands. Cost all of $4.80! And I’ll probably never pack it to take on a camino. :p:p:p
I'm dissappointed to read you have no "daydreams" for future Caminos. At any rate, I always enjoy your comments on the forum and hope you get to use that newly acquired sit pad walking in your own beautiful country!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I made my silk liner myself: extra long with openings at the lower end to be able to "aerate" my feet when they feel hot and an extra wide fold at the upper end to go over the very large pillows in the Spanish albergues. And for sitting on rough or wet surfaces I carry the Thermarest ultralight inflatable cushion - easy on my bottom. And as far as gear is concerned otherwise - 35 years ago I inherited from my father a tiny immersion heater which you cannot find in the shops any more. This I use in a large steal mug. Thus I can make my coffee any time and minute soup when the only two electric cooking plates are occupied by somebody cooking an elaborate meal and I can use the mug on an electric plate when all of the albergue's pots have gone to the tables and not come back.
Custom made Silk liner with opening at foot end is a fabulous idea! My feet got SOO hot even in late October. Also like that extra wide fold at top end to go over albergue pillows!

Hello trecile, Admitting the addiction is the first step to stopping it from ruling your life. But hey, the Camino is a much stronger addiction and at least one addiction supports a more positive addiction, LOL.

For me, I, too, am addicted, to both. May your new pack help in the next journey.

. . . Have no plans for another camino . . .
Oh no, I was hoping to meet you someday walking one of the caminos. If you change your mind please to let us know. Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For those familiar with the Dubliner's "The Wild Rover"

I've been a caminante for many's the year
And I spend all my money on camino gear
And now I'm returning with blisters and sores
And I never will play the caminante no more
And it's no, nay, never
No, nay, never no more
Will I play the caminante
No, never no more

Good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Oh no, I was hoping to meet you someday walking one of the caminos. If you change your mind please to let us know. Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
The call is just as strong as ever. Its the logistics as much as anything. Spain is such a long way away and life gets busy. Maybe I will follow @Kanga lead and buy my plane ticket at the airport on the way out of the country. Or at least I think that’s what she does. ;):D:D:D

Wait, that's exactly what I need to do, just show up at the airport and get on the first flight out of this place . . . my backpack is ready . . . thinking, thinking, thinking . . . To all caminantes, God Bless You, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Yes. I've carried a 30 L pack on my last 2 Caminos and had plenty of room. I even carry a lightweight sleeping bag as I prefer to use my own bedding. You never know what's been using those blankets...;)

Almost fell off the wagon based on this thread but I've been given a temporary reprieve. Though only because it seems the Aleia is a woman-specific pack after all. I double-checked the North Face website and while it does come in two sizes I doubt even the largest would fit my svelte 230 frame. So I'm back to the dilemma that had me sitting on the wagon biding my time. My current comfortable and well-broken-in pack goes out at about 5 pounds and I've been tempted to get a new pack. But it seems the ones I want will only save me maybe two pounds. So I'm torn between the never-ending need for something new butting up against the pesky works good enough. I know. I know. Two pounds sounds like a lot to us gram-weenies. But when taking into account the overall 250+ pounds when I hit the trail, what's a couple of pounds?!? I can shed that just by leaving a few Snickers Bars at home.

Still use the same gear from year one in 2014 other than shoes and a camera upgrade. My current gear is not perfect, but it works.
Just replaced my 1986 backpack which has been everywhere with me usually 5 or 6 trips a year, buy good stuff and it lasts, fashions change but functionality continues, its better for the environment too if you make your gear last rather than replace it on a whim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And as such, I couldn't resist buying a new backpack. I'm sure that my trusty Marmot Graviton 36 could do another Camino, but it's starting to look a little dingy, and I came across this new lovely, The North Face Aleia 32. I just finished loading it up, and it feels very comfortable. I bought it from REI, so I have time to try it out. It's only 1 lb 15 ounces/~880 grams, and has trampoline style back which is adjustable. There is also a men's version called the Litus. View attachment 37312
Congratulations - admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery.

Remember, there is a 12 step programme you can follow: never be more than 12 steps away from a REI/Cotswold Outdoors/Decathlon equipment store . . .

(and my apologies to any genuine addiction sufferers I may have offended with that)

Addicted too. Can't stop buying rucksacks either. Latest buy is an Osprey Rev 6 (running pack 6l). Have ideas about trying to do my next camino with just this little 6l chappie. Will need to buy some new superlight ultrapackable gear to go inside it though. I've got a gear problem...I can't afford it...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HPM6KR8/?tag=casaivar02-20

If you're an ultralight backpacker you might be fine. I backpack ultralight as well and on the Frances I took a 30L pack, on the Portuguese a 22L and last year on the GR10/Norte/Primativo a 32L ( yeah, I'm a gear junkie as well). I always had extra space on the 30L, a little exta space on the 22L, and took the 32L last year to share some of my finace's load and a little extra room for food, and a 12"x8" foam roller. Btw I highly recommend a foam roller weighed maybe 5oz and was used everyday on my back, calves, quads, and IB band.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Happy new backpack! You’ve a great knack of finding things that are both beautiful and functional :)

I take one and wear it while walking. I would never pay full price - or even half price for that matter!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.