Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

My new anti blister strategy

trecile

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
PAST - Francés, Norte, Salvador, Portuguese
I have written many posts singing the praises of Omnifix and Hypafix tapes for blister prevention, but this year I'm trying something different.

My problem areas are the balls of my feet, and the sides of a couple of toes. So normally I would tape those locations every day.

Some time ago I saw these half toe socks on Amazon and being inherently lazy, I thought that it would be easier to pull these on than to apply tape every day.

20220516_172129.jpg

They take care of all of my problem areas. First I apply a coating of Sportslick to my feet then pull on these half toe socks. I'm wearing them under my WrightSocks double layer socks, so the balls of my feet actually have three layers of socks.

They stay in place really well, and don't roll down. I make sure not to pull down too far on the toes because in the past I ended up with a bubble blister between my toes from irritation there when wearing Injinji toe socks.

This is probably not a solution for most people, but so far, after over a week walking from Lisbon with a lot of road walking in the heat it's working great for me!

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino

K_Lynn

Past OR future Camino
I bought a pair of these https://www.amazon.ca/Bunion-Corrector-Sleeves-Protector-Surgery/dp/B07JF95KL8 somewhere along the route as I also blister on the ball of my foot and the side of one toe. These things saved my life lol. They're thin so my toes weren't squished with extra padding.
I also used these https://www.walmart.com/ip/PolyGel-...-Corns-Ingrown-Nails-Blisters-Narrow/39402399 . Cut to size, slip over the toe. I found these a better solution for me than using compeed, I could take them off at the end of the day and allow my blister to dry out, plus it didn't leave my socks sticky with glue like with compeed.
Rotate between two pairs of socks each day. Change every couple of hours. Putting on dry socks and allowing your feet to cool down for a few minutes will change your life on Camino.

Xali1970

Planning the next one
Past OR future Camino
2016 Primitivo
2018 Pimitivo, VdlP
2022 Too Many
Every hour of walking I take a break.
Take my shoes off
Take my socks off
5 mins.
Alternate the socks, i.e. sock that was on left foot goes on right foot, right foot sock goes on left foot.
Repeat every hour or so.
The sock doesn't get a chance to stiffen in place

Past OR future Camino
CdF 17,19,20; Portugues 2018; VdlP 2022 (Sev-Cañ)
I have the same foot-issues.
Tried different stocks and tape.
I wear special insoles.
And this spring for 3 weeks Via de la Plata I bought a pair of shoes with very wide toebox from Meindl. And I used injinji toesocks.
That combination worked very good for me.
Just 1 blister.

Rainey

Past OR future Camino
de Madrid May 2018
del Salvador May 2018
I also used the polygel sleeves and it worked wonders for my toes, keeping them separated, provide a padding, prevented rubbing. I rotated them every day and definitely allowed time for my feet to cool down and change socks every 2-2.5 hours and it worked for me. I only got one blister as I walked 32 km that day which was a bit far for me that day. I also used Kinesiology tape https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Yosoo-...c-Physio-Therapeutic-Tape-5cm/PRD4ZXAYTJFCEK6 to help with abrasions from orthotics, it kept the skin taught and not swelling and overflowing over the mold, also good for achilles area (rubbing on boots). Very flexible and not gooey like compeed.

Create your own ad
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Creative Credencial Workshop
A two-part workshop that guides you into creating a credencial and shares it online

mosey marty

Past OR future Camino
I have written many posts singing the praises of Omnifix and Hypafix tapes for blister prevention, but this year I'm trying something different.

My problem areas are the balls of my feet, and the sides of a couple of toes. So normally I would tape those locations every day.

Some time ago I saw these half toe socks on Amazon and being inherently lazy, I thought that it would be easier to pull these on than to apply tape every day.

View attachment 125495

They take care of all of my problem areas. First I apply a coating of Sportslick to my feet then pull on these half toe socks. I'm wearing them under my WrightSocks double layer socks, so the balls of my feet actually have three layers of socks.

They stay in place really well, and don't roll down. I make sure not to pull down too far on the toes because in the past I ended up with a bubble blister between my toes from irritation there when wearing Injinji toe socks.

This is probably not a solution for most people, but so far, after over a week walking from Lisbon with a lot of road walking in the heat it's working great for me!
I went St. Jean to Santiago last September in $24 boots from Big 5—because they'd served me well for many years (though not physically the same boots, of course)—and REI walking socks. The way I avoided blisters was being mentally attuned to "hot spots" and putting tape over any that showed up immediately. It's what my doc suggested, it's simple, and it worked just great.

John Ferguson

Past OR future Camino
The French Way May/June (2015) Complete.
Completed Porto Way from Lisbon May(2017).

View attachment 125495

Vicks serves a dual purpose. Provides moisture and controls odor.

Past OR future Camino
1. Well broken in boots
2. Comfortable, seam-free, not-cotton socks
3. Keep you feet as clean and dry as you possibly can. If your feet get wet while walking, take extra precautions - walk fewer kilometers in order to give your feet extra care.

I'm a fan of Injinji socks, not a fan of Vaseline. If you get a blister, don't pop them - a blister is the way your body naturally protects the tender, recovering skin underneath from infection.

My $0.02 😉

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Washie

Past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues 2019/22
Camino Frances 2020
I bring a second pair of shoes (sandals in my case). The heel strap can be removed. Different shoes will catch you in different places so alternating stops the same pressure in the same place. I also believe in stopping, resting and walking less if a blister starts. Your feet will tell you what to do.

Tony Bobcat

Past OR future Camino
May 2017

View attachment 125495

What works for me is silk stockings below merino socks. No blisters at all.

Past OR future Camino
first one Aug/Sept '18
so the balls of my feet actually have three layers of sock
My feet would overheat with that much sock.
I wore well-fitted Merrel’s (Moab 2) and even found the merino socks a bit warm and wore thinner socks for more room again when my feet weee hot and swelled.

* I did re-adjust me feet in the shoes and re-tied my laces before any descent, so there was no movement forward in the shoe on the way down.

No bandages, bandaids, tapes or ointments and no blisters at all.

Go well

Create your own ad
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino

trecile

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
PAST - Francés, Norte, Salvador, Portuguese
My feet would overheat with that much sock.
I agree if I were wearing shoes, but I wear open toe hiking sandals. And although the WrightSocks are double layered, they are still pretty thin.
This is just something that I'm trying this year that's working for me.

Leaderene

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Camino Portuguese
Camino Ingles

View attachment 125495

Vaseline on my feet before I put my socks on, works for me every time.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads