• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My new anti blister strategy

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I have written many posts singing the praises of Omnifix and Hypafix tapes for blister prevention, but this year I'm trying something different.

My problem areas are the balls of my feet, and the sides of a couple of toes. So normally I would tape those locations every day.

Some time ago I saw these half toe socks on Amazon and being inherently lazy, I thought that it would be easier to pull these on than to apply tape every day.

20220516_172129.jpg

They take care of all of my problem areas. First I apply a coating of Sportslick to my feet then pull on these half toe socks. I'm wearing them under my WrightSocks double layer socks, so the balls of my feet actually have three layers of socks.

They stay in place really well, and don't roll down. I make sure not to pull down too far on the toes because in the past I ended up with a bubble blister between my toes from irritation there when wearing Injinji toe socks.

This is probably not a solution for most people, but so far, after over a week walking from Lisbon with a lot of road walking in the heat it's working great for me!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I bought a pair of these https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07JF95KL8/?tag=santiagodec0b-20 somewhere along the route as I also blister on the ball of my foot and the side of one toe. These things saved my life lol. They're thin so my toes weren't squished with extra padding.
I also used these https://www.walmart.com/ip/PolyGel-...-Corns-Ingrown-Nails-Blisters-Narrow/39402399 . Cut to size, slip over the toe. I found these a better solution for me than using compeed, I could take them off at the end of the day and allow my blister to dry out, plus it didn't leave my socks sticky with glue like with compeed.
Rotate between two pairs of socks each day. Change every couple of hours. Putting on dry socks and allowing your feet to cool down for a few minutes will change your life on Camino.

Every hour of walking I take a break.
Take my shoes off
Take my socks off
5 mins.
Alternate the socks, i.e. sock that was on left foot goes on right foot, right foot sock goes on left foot.
Repeat every hour or so.
The sock doesn't get a chance to stiffen in place

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have the same foot-issues.
Tried different stocks and tape.
I wear special insoles.
And this spring for 3 weeks Via de la Plata I bought a pair of shoes with very wide toebox from Meindl. And I used injinji toesocks.
That combination worked very good for me.
Just 1 blister.

I also used the polygel sleeves and it worked wonders for my toes, keeping them separated, provide a padding, prevented rubbing. I rotated them every day and definitely allowed time for my feet to cool down and change socks every 2-2.5 hours and it worked for me. I only got one blister as I walked 32 km that day which was a bit far for me that day. I also used Kinesiology tape https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Yosoo-...c-Physio-Therapeutic-Tape-5cm/PRD4ZXAYTJFCEK6 to help with abrasions from orthotics, it kept the skin taught and not swelling and overflowing over the mold, also good for achilles area (rubbing on boots). Very flexible and not gooey like compeed.

This works for me - Two pairs of coolmax liner socks - air the feet and boots mid walk - swap or replace socks. Not a blister. 👏👏👍👣👣👣

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have written many posts singing the praises of Omnifix and Hypafix tapes for blister prevention, but this year I'm trying something different.

My problem areas are the balls of my feet, and the sides of a couple of toes. So normally I would tape those locations every day.

Some time ago I saw these half toe socks on Amazon and being inherently lazy, I thought that it would be easier to pull these on than to apply tape every day.

View attachment 125495

They take care of all of my problem areas. First I apply a coating of Sportslick to my feet then pull on these half toe socks. I'm wearing them under my WrightSocks double layer socks, so the balls of my feet actually have three layers of socks.

They stay in place really well, and don't roll down. I make sure not to pull down too far on the toes because in the past I ended up with a bubble blister between my toes from irritation there when wearing Injinji toe socks.

This is probably not a solution for most people, but so far, after over a week walking from Lisbon with a lot of road walking in the heat it's working great for me!
I went St. Jean to Santiago last September in $24 boots from Big 5—because they'd served me well for many years (though not physically the same boots, of course)—and REI walking socks. The way I avoided blisters was being mentally attuned to "hot spots" and putting tape over any that showed up immediately. It's what my doc suggested, it's simple, and it worked just great.

View attachment 125495

Vicks serves a dual purpose. Provides moisture and controls odor.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1. Well broken in boots
2. Comfortable, seam-free, not-cotton socks
3. Keep you feet as clean and dry as you possibly can. If your feet get wet while walking, take extra precautions - walk fewer kilometers in order to give your feet extra care.

I'm a fan of Injinji socks, not a fan of Vaseline. If you get a blister, don't pop them - a blister is the way your body naturally protects the tender, recovering skin underneath from infection.

My $0.02 😉

I bring a second pair of shoes (sandals in my case). The heel strap can be removed. Different shoes will catch you in different places so alternating stops the same pressure in the same place. I also believe in stopping, resting and walking less if a blister starts. Your feet will tell you what to do.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

View attachment 125495

What works for me is silk stockings below merino socks. No blisters at all.

so the balls of my feet actually have three layers of sock
My feet would overheat with that much sock.
I wore well-fitted Merrel’s (Moab 2) and even found the merino socks a bit warm and wore thinner socks for more room again when my feet weee hot and swelled.

* I did re-adjust me feet in the shoes and re-tied my laces before any descent, so there was no movement forward in the shoe on the way down.

No bandages, bandaids, tapes or ointments and no blisters at all.

Go well

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My feet would overheat with that much sock.
I agree if I were wearing shoes, but I wear open toe hiking sandals. And although the WrightSocks are double layered, they are still pretty thin.
This is just something that I'm trying this year that's working for me.

View attachment 125495

Vaseline on my feet before I put my socks on, works for me every time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.