• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My New Camino Marker

MarcoPolo616

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 Camino Portugues (Valença to Santiago)
2019 (planned) Santiago- Finisterre-Muxia
Greetings Peregrinos,

I wanted to share with you my new Camino Marker. I went to a local stone cutter with the dimensions, design, and my shell tile, and he worked his magic. Now, each morning I look out my window and I am reminded of the wonders of the Camino and inspired to walk my second Camino in June! As the mojon reads, the Praza do Obradoiro ia mere 8946,4 km from my backyard in California! Buen Camino! 53512

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That is soooo cool. I love it!!! :)
Thanks Dave. It really brings all those great Camino memories back vividly and makes us want to walk as many as we can! Our non Camino friends don’t really get it. However a few think that if we were crazy enough to do it, it may be worth it !

Greetings Peregrinos,

I wanted to share with you my new Camino Marker. I went to a local stone cutter with the dimensions, design, and my shell tile, and he worked his magic. Now, each morning I look out my window and I am reminded of the wonders of the Camino and inspired to walk my second Camino in June! As the mojon reads, the Praza do Obradoiro ia mere 8946,4 km from my backyard in California! Buen Camino! View attachment 53512
This is awesome! Where did you have it made? I’m in California, too, and want one for my yard.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to pedantry corner for another episode of things that don't really need to be corrected.

Pretty much all the markers are in the western hemisphere.

View attachment 53546
Obviously a French map. I don't think the Paris meridian has been used in the last century or so. 😃

Greetings Peregrinos,

I wanted to share with you my new Camino Marker. I went to a local stone cutter with the dimensions, design, and my shell tile, and he worked his magic. Now, each morning I look out my window and I am reminded of the wonders of the Camino and inspired to walk my second Camino in June! As the mojon reads, the Praza do Obradoiro ia mere 8946,4 km from my backyard in California! Buen Camino! View attachment 53512
That is brilliant!!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings Peregrinos,

LOOOVE IT. So want this in my garden. Would you be willing to share the measurements for my stonecutter?

Mike used the specifications I published here, some months back, in Resources I think. We corresponded via PM and he sent me a photo of the just finished mojone.

His is the real deal, made of solid granite. Hats off to Mike and his wife, who share in the joy of having their own mojone to look at each morning.

I want one too, but solid granite simply is not possible. Mine needs to me somewhat portable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greetings Peregrinos,

Muy bello!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Greetings Peregrinos,

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!! Your stone cutter is quite talented! Buen Camino on your upcoming journey as well!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Greetings Peregrinos,

Way to Go. 'Cool bananas' as we say at times in South Africa.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
LOOOVE IT. So want this in my garden. Would you be willing to share the measurements for my stonecutter?
Absolutely. I will try again and attach them. A fellow peregrino was kind enough to share them with me! Thanks again Tom A.!

Attachments

• D9EAD9DB-F7DD-44A0-8439-9B617DAF6C29.jpeg
    D9EAD9DB-F7DD-44A0-8439-9B617DAF6C29.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 145
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mike used the specifications I published here, some months back, in Resources I think. We corresponded via PM and he sent me a photo of the just finished mojone.

His is the real deal, made of solid granite. Hats off to Mike and his wife, who share in the joy of having their own mojone to look at each morning.

I want one too, but solid granite simply is not possible. Mine needs to me somewhat portable.
Thanks again Tom for your help, without which we would still be wondering what to do!! The specs you provided work perfectly. The only difference that the tile we had was slightly smaller than on the regular mojon but the stoneworker was able to make the adjustment by locating it a little higher. Perfect resource. Hopefully our Peregrino family will be inspired to have one made.

It does point in the right direction, right @MarcoPolo616?
Lol! Yes. Actually it points directly to my garage, where I get in my car, drive to San Francisco International Airport, fly to Santiago and make my way to the Praza do Obradoiro! Another suggestion provided by t2andreo!

Last edited:
Lol! Yes. Actually it point directly to my garage, where I get in my car, drive to San Francisco International Airport, fly to Santiago and make my way to the Praza do Obradoiro!
🤔...Oh...
Brilliant.
🤣
I would never have thought of doing that, but instead would have wasted way too much time getting a compass direction perfect, down multiple decimal points.

Last edited:
Greetings Peregrinos,

That's marvellous! You must be constantly inspired to remember your Camino & to plan your next.

Greetings Peregrinos,

I love it! Very cool ! I wonder if you would not mind, could you please pass the dimensions on to me?

🤔...Oh...
Brilliant.
🤣
I would never have thought of doing that, but instead would have wasted way too much time getting a compass direction perfect, down multiple decimal points.

The compass direction will, of necessity be a relative thing. So, if you live most anywhere in North America, Central America, or South America, the distance would be pointing EAST. If you live in Asia, South or East, or parts of Russia and Eastern Europe, the direction would be WEST.

But what does one do, if one is from South Africa and the direction is UP. Alternatively what about a European living due NORTH of Santiago de Compostela... ? I am confused. We do not have DOWN or UP arrows...

In this situation, or as MarcoPolo did, point the mojone towards the road out of town headed to the airport or road you will first use... There MUST be a left or right involved...

Finally, I obtained my distance using the distance to Plaza Obradoiro in front of the Western facade of the Cathedral, also the main entrance. This is where the formal measurement plaque is in the center of the plaza. ALL distances to Santiago are calculate from this point.

I used the Apple Maps app, which gave me a marginally easier to understand distance. I leave the number of decimal places to the right of the period / dot to you. Personally, IMHO, any more than one decimal place is overkill if one is walking or cycling.

Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greetings Peregrinos,

What a great and original idea!!! Enjoy it, and many more caminos to come! I live on a kibbutz in Israel and my contribution to a community mosaic wall, to which each family contributed its own square, was the Camino square seen on the right of the attached photo. But your idea surpasses it by far!0_PHOTO_20170326_145708.jpg

B
What a great and original idea!!! Enjoy it, and many more caminos to come! I live on a kibbutz in Israel and my contribution to a community mosaic wall, to which each family contributed its own square, was the Camino square seen on the right of the attached photo. But your idea surpasses it by far!View attachment 53655
Brillant!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Greetings Peregrinos,

Wonderful! I could use one of those.

Greetings Peregrinos,

Just love it Marco Polo
Greetings Peregrinos,

Just love it Marco Polo!

€46,-
Greetings Peregrinos,

Brilliant idea...imagine if it caught on all over north america!!

If there is an old hiker boot around, some wildflower seeds, plant them now, put the boot on the mojon and there should be flowers blooming before you leave on your next Camino. Just a thought.

And taking stones for O Cebreiro? Pick a couple up and bring them home to display by the boot.
Great suggestions! Yes. We plan to bring stone back from Fisterra and Muxia on our next Camino!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Andy, here is the place in Fresno. Ask for Jim Cassacia. It’s pricey but well worth it! http://www.casacciaartmemorials.com/about-us
Hey for an extra few bucks, he might put some graffiti on there. Make it look REAL. Lol. Looks great, but get the kids some chalk!!!!
Posted from sunny Espinal. Day 2 of my first Camino. Did St Jean _ Valcarlos _ Roncesvalles yesterday. Mistake for man of my tender years. (69).Too much for me. The last 4/5 k is entirely uphill. Nearly died out there... figuratively. Easy day today. There's always tomorrow. Ultreia!

That came out weird. I seem to have got my reply into the quote! Sorry. Buen Camino y'all.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Greetings Peregrinos,

Amazing stone. How much did you pay for it?
I am walking my 2nd CF starting from SJPDP on June 25th

Zoran.. suffice it to say that it was not cheap! It cost much more than a plane ticket from California to Santiago! Congratulations on your next Camino! Great tattoo!

Marco

Well, thanks to you Marco I am getting one in my garden. Luckily prices are lower in Croatia then in California.
Yeah, I am very happy abt. my tattoo because I wanted it to look like a stamp and they did it.
Buen Camino

€46,-
Greetings Peregrinos,

Aren’t you the lucky guy! I haven’t read any other replies, and I just wish you the very best time on your coming Camino. What a wonderful idea, and may it keep you connected to what it all means... Buen Camino!

€83,-
Aren’t you the lucky guy! I haven’t read any other replies, and I just wish you the very best time on your coming Camino. What a wonderful idea, and may it keep you connected to what it all means... Buen Camino!
Thanks so much, kirkie. As I look out into my garden each morning and evening, memories of my past Camino are ever present and the anticipation for our upcoming and future Caminos grows more intense. You gave me an idea- just attached this to the marker!

Attachments

• 8C21F4CA-915E-413D-AB7C-5B3D62187E12.jpeg
    8C21F4CA-915E-413D-AB7C-5B3D62187E12.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 38
Obviously a French map. I don't think the Paris meridian has been used in the last century or so. 😃

Hola @David Tallan Paris meridian not used????
Whilst it is at the Western end of Europe I think you will find that the Paris Meridian is the original basis for European "Central" Time or Standard European Time (excludes Greece etc). Of course the Spanish local time has been the subject of much discussion on these pages so I will ignore.
But to get back to the original post - bloody fantastic idea, might have to follow/copy. Cheers

Hola @David Tallan Paris meridian not used????
Whilst it is at the Western end of Europe I think you will find that the Paris Meridian is the original basis for European "Central" Time or Standard European Time (excludes Greece etc). Of course the Spanish local time has been the subject of much discussion on these pages so I will ignore.
But to get back to the original post - bloody fantastic idea, might have to follow/copy. Cheers
I meant as the prime meridian. Greenwich was settled on for that a long time ago. As for the Paris meridian being the basis of Central European Time, it seems that France was one of the later countries to adopt it. From Wikipedia:
"France, which had adopted Paris time on 14 March 1891 and Greenwich Mean Time on 9 March 1911,was switched to CET [in 1940 under German occupation]."
From everything I've read, CET is based on GMT, being exactly 1 hour ahead of GMT. GMT is, of course, based on the Greenwich Meridian, not the Paris meridian.
I am, of course, open to changing my unslderstajding of all this if shown other sources.

I meant as the prime meridian. Greenwich was settled on for that a long time ago. As for the Paris meridian being the basis of Central European Time, it seems that France was one of the later countries to adopt it. From Wikipedia:
"France, which had adopted Paris time on 14 March 1891 and Greenwich Mean Time on 9 March 1911,was switched to CET [in 1940 under German occupation]."
From everything I've read, CET is based on GMT, being exactly 1 hour ahead of GMT. GMT is, of course, based on the Greenwich Meridian, not the Paris meridian.
I am, of course, open to changing my unslderstajding of all this if shown other sources.

Hola @David Tallan
you are probably correct. Those Germans were always re-organising things so wouldn't be surprised about the clocks moving. If you look at the two lines the far western part of France (Brittany is probably 20 mins behind London time)
Now that you mention the GMT meridian and the Paris meridian I think I confused myself - the Paris meridian, as I understand it is how the French determined the length of the kilometre (something like 1/10,000 comes to mind). But hey I too could be totally of the mark. Cheers

Greetings Peregrinos,

Nice! What was used for the blue square with the scallop shell on it? Thx

The tiles sold in the Santiago gift shops are
Slightly smaller than the ones on the Camino markets, so I adjusted the dimensions slightly for balance.

Great suggestiions! Yes. We plan to bring stone back from Fisterra and Muxia on our next Camino!
Me too. In 2016, though I did not make it to Santiago via the CF, I did bus it to Fisterra and fulfilled my promise to my Mum and placed her ashes in to Ocean there. So, when I return, a stone or two will come home with me. I do not think there are any curses doing this like there are if the stones were from Hawai'i.

I just wondered the other day how long would we still be able to walk the Camino in peace and that it would stay intact for even more generations, including the landmarks and attractions??Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just wondered the other day how long would we still be able to walk the Camino in peace and that it would stay intact for even more generations, including the landmarks and attractions??Buen Camino
I think it is up to us Peregrinos to do anything and everything possible to be respectful by not littering, being mindful of the locals, and not venturing off the designated trails. We are the guests of all the locals along the way and should always show gratitude. while I have never seen a peregrino litter or do anything inappropriate,I have heard stories. The Camino has changed from a strictly religious journey to more of a spiritual journey over the past millennium. If we Peregrinos maintain the proper spirit, the Camino will persevere. I am hopeful that my children and my children’s children will have the same opportunity that we have all experienced!

Thanks! I’ll contact him. I’ve already put out word to my family that if they buy it for me for Christmas, i’ll shut up about the Camino (for at least a week).
That made me laugh. The Camino stays in your head for years. It left me very unsettled.I'm just about ready to be unsettled again.

Well, I hope so too, but I believe it is not peregrinos who vandalised the Cathedral in Santiago and that is only one example. But yes, I totally agree that peregrinos must respect the property and privacy of all the locals along the way and more, try to at least greet them in their own language and learn the basics in Spanish for 'thank you' and 'please' etc. and if they use en route as a toilet, at least carry a little plastic spade, which is obvious what to do with it. I saw really very bad behaviour with my first Camino Frances, the arrogancy of the peregrinos is amazing.

€83,-
If there is an old hiker boot around, some wildflower seeds, plant them now, put the boot on the mojon and there should be flowers blooming before you leave on your next Camino. Just a thought.

And taking stones for O Cebreiro? Pick a couple up and bring them home to display by the boot.
F3F35556-372E-4E81-82E5-1CDA984B84E9.jpeg

That made me laugh. The Camino stays in your head for years. It left me very unsettled.I'm just about ready to be unsettled again.
Last week I had over 30 people over for dinner. They all walked past the Camino marker. Only three of us in the group have walked the Camino. Most were baffled as to why we would have something like this in our backyard. They just don’t get it. All I said was, “ if and when you walk the Camino,you will get it. “. I appreciate all of you Peregrinos who get it!

Greetings Peregrinos,

This is amazing and just what I am looking for. I would love to correspond with you about the details. I saw the link about where you purchased it in California, and I live in AZ, so could easily get up there if I could not find one here in AZ. Any details, dimensions, etc you could provide would be SO appreciated.

Well, thanks to you Marco I am getting one in my garden. Luckily prices are lower in Croatia then in California.
Yeah, I am very happy abt. my tattoo because I wanted it to look like a stamp and they did it.
Buen Camino
Greetings!
Did you ever have your marker made?

This is amazing and just what I am looking for. I would love to correspond with you about the details. I saw the link about where you purchased it in California, and I live in AZ, so could easily get up there if I could not find one here in AZ. Any details, dimensions, etc you could provide would be SO appreciated.
Greetings,
Sorry for not responding sooner. I have not checked the site for a few weeks. We live in Fresno, California. Our stone mason is Jim Cassacia. His number is 559-264-1173. He is a third generation stone and granite mason, specializing primarily in headstones. Last July, after completing our second Camino, my wife and I bought him a blue and yellow shell tile. He was planning on making a Camino markr for his shop! We love our “mojon”. It is a daily reminder of the magic of the Camino. Feel free to give Jim a call. It’s a little pricy($1500), and at the same time “Priceless”.
Buena Suerte!!
Mark &Susan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Andy, here is the place in Fresno. Ask for Jim Cassacia. It’s pricey but well worth it! http://www.casacciaartmemorials.com/about-us
Greetings,
Sorry for not responding sooner. I have not checked the site for a few weeks. We live in Fresno, California. Our stone mason is Jim Cassacia. His number is 559-264-1173. He is a third generation stone and granite mason, specializing primarily in headstones. Last July, after completing our second Camino, my wife and I bought him a blue and yellow shell tile. He was planning on making a Camino markr for his shop! We love our “mojon”. It is a daily reminder of the magic of the Camino. Feel free to give Jim a call. It’s a little pricy($1500), and at the same time “Priceless”.
Buena Suerte!!
Mark &Susan
Fresno?! I wonder if my cousin in Tulare would be willing to go check it our? Thanks for the info!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.