• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My new favorite hiking pants!!!

witsendwv

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
I just received a pair of pants that I waited for two years to receive. They are from a small company that was started by a couple of young women from Middlebury College in Vermont who were active outdoors and got tired of water depriving especially in cold climates where it was very difficult to disrobe and pee. I participated in crowdfunding of this company, which unfortunately started at the same time as the pandemic. It took almost two years, but my Shefly pants arrived today. It was well worth the wait. They have patented a zipper that starts at the bottom of the typical zipper fly and opens all the way around your backside. Just squat and pee. Nothing shows! In addition they are stretchy, have several zippered pockets, snaps to wear them like capri pants, and a drawstring to tighten them from the inside if you lose weight on your camino. I have no financial interest in this company I just love the product, particularly in more trafficked areas where it is hard to find privacy. The drawback: they are more expensive that other brand name hiking pants, but I like having a pair for days when I am not sure when the next bathroom will appear. 🥾
🙂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just received a pair of pants that I waited for two years to receive. They are from a small company that was started by a couple of young women from Middlebury College in Vermont who were active outdoors and got tired of water depriving especially in cold climates where it was very difficult to disrobe and pee. I participated in crowdfunding of this company, which unfortunately started at the same time as the pandemic. It took almost two years, but my Shefly pants arrived today. It was well worth the wait. They have patented a zipper that starts at the bottom of the typical zipper fly and opens all the way around your backside. Just squat and pee. Nothing shows! In addition they are stretchy, have several zippered pockets, snaps to wear them like capri pants, and a drawstring to tighten them from the inside if you lose weight on your camino. I have no financial interest in this company I just love the product, particularly in more trafficked areas where it is hard to find privacy. The drawback: they are more expensive that other brand name hiking pants, but I like having a pair for days when I am not sure when the next bathroom will appear. 🥾
🙂
Do you have website links or contact info?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks! I will check these out. I love my Macabi skirt for exactly this reason.

But I assume that you’d have to go commando for the system to work?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wasn't sure that these pants were for women so I can't comment on the price/benefit ratio. But $168 seems like alot of money for a pair of pants. But if you have that kind of money and it is worth it to you then I guess it is fine. I imagine the pee factor plays into the benefit quite a bit but I have no frame of reference. :)

The website said to pull your undie to the side. I love my Macabi skirt.
Soooo, I have to hold my undies to the side while I pee. Hmmmm, how am I not going to get my hand wet? Oh, I know! I can wear a latex glove!! Sorry, just couldn't resist;-)

Looking at both brands mentioned, the zipper on the Ziphers is less bulky and noticeable. I'm not there yet, but maybe I'll give it a try next year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
🙂
I checked out there website. You must be pretty good at peeing ;). There is no way I wouldn't get it all over the pants.

Interesting. Anything that makes it easier for you to go. Must be good. Loved one of the ad picture titles.
BORN TO PEE WILD. 🤣 I can't help but sing that now😁

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My first thought was... what happens if the zipper gets stuck on that extra flap of material when it's time to close? I've seen many a zipper mishap in my business 😀 And if you're opening the zipper, either part way or fully, something is still going to show!

@witsendwv Wondering if you've had a chance to try them out on the trail yet? Do let us know! 🙏

Nice idea, but I’m not sure about the positioning of the zip. How comfortable are they to walk or sit in?
They feel like any other pair of hiking pants. The fabric is a bit heavy, probably because of the large zipper.
Whilst this is clearly not a subject in which I can claim any expertise, you could also take a look at women’s clothing designed for rock climbing. It’s often impossible to remove a climbing harness when nature calls and so a through-zip sometimes features.
Designed by women who rock climb.

I have the same question, especially given the way they fit on the models.
I was afraid of a tight fit also, not the case. I am a bit too old for figure hugging clothes. I like these better than the Ziphers because they sit lower on the waist, and there are two zippers. One for on and off and one to pee. The fabric is very stretchy so they were very comfortable on a car trip yesterday.
Nice idea, but I’m not sure about the positioning of the zip. How comfortable are they to walk or sit in?
The zipper has a little bit of bulk. I don't find it bothersome, but others might.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My first thought was... what happens if the zipper gets stuck on that extra flap of material when it's time to close? I've seen many a zipper mishap in my business 😀 And if you're opening the zipper, either part way or fully, something is still going to show!

@witsendwv Wondering if you've had a chance to try them out on the trail yet? Do let us know! 🙏
Not on the trail yet, just a very "iffy" truck stop bathroom on a road trip!

Walking and climbing are two very different activities. It might work well for climbing because the legs are more spread and the movements are slower. Walking is quite the opposite. Please take them out for a spin on a hot day and let us know. If they proved comfortable then would love a pair of shorts that would complement my peeing device. Pants are just too hot for me.

A similar brand is Ziphers. Extended sizing, fast service. I got a pair of bike shorts from them last summer that were all that. They have a hiking pant that I would totally get if I liked wearing pants when I walk. Really great idea!
I love love love my ZipHers Tights/Leggings!! I wear them ALL the time!! For sure on the Camino and Hiking!! So efficient and comfy and EZ to Pee!! 😉 -Cathy Seitchik Diaz

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have the same question, especially given the way they fit on the models.
And will they make our backsides look like those models?😁
I think pulling underwear off to the side sounds a bit awkward in more ways than one.🙄
Overall I think they sound like a good idea gone bad.

Last edited:
I recall walking one day in East Africa when a young girl who was near me simply pulled up her loose skirt and squatted. It seemed so natural and simple. But I don't know how, or if, she kept her privates clean and dry. In a town near there the hotel had a two-seater outhouse for toilets and a jug of water for washing. I guess no one ever told them about the Eatons catalogue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interesting. Anything that makes it easier for you to go. Must be good. Loved one of the ad picture titles.
BORN TO PEE WILD. 🤣 I can't help but sing that now😁
Do they make them for men as well? With zips at the front that go all the way round to your navel? Did think of a kilt but would not be able to remain polite about what was underneath! :)

This forum is getting bedevilled with impious and deranged pilgies!

Amen!

Samarkand.

:)

🙂
Hey,
🙂
Hey, where can I get a pair? I will be in Vt in a few days!!!

I’ve not seen how these work but a zip in that area of anyones anatomy seems to present a couple of potential issues. I’m on my second Csmino and the FUD Pstyle has never let me down. 👍👣🙏

I bought a pair of the Ziphers hiking shorts. I’ve tested the zip-and-pee feature and it seems to work as advertised. I haven’t been able to test them on a hike here in Phoenix. However, they have become my new favorite workout shorts. They are made of a thick, stretchy material that’s really comfortable. I like that they are high waisted and fairly long (I got the 9” length). They have two phone pockets, one of which I use for my airbud case.

I think pulling underwear off to the side sounds a bit awkward in more ways than one.🙄
I wear ZipHers Leggings because they have a Zipper for EZPEee efficiency. Pulling my undies over is the same as when I am wearing a Bathing Suit and run to the Bathroom to Pee. EZPeasy!! So much better than pulling down sweaty Leggings!! They are my GoTo Leggings!! Yummy! Buttery!! EZ2Pee. Yea!!

@cathyjo, I don't wear leggings on the Camino for your same reason, so instead I wear loose fitting wicking pants and shorts, and both have elastic waists...quick and easy pull down, quick and easy up.😅 Mine are not the most flattering, but comfort overrides fashion and works for me. I don't "think" anyone has caught a glimpse of my bum in five caminos.🙂

€83,-
@cathyjo, I don't wear leggings on the Camino for your same reason, so instead I wear loose fitting wicking pants and shorts, and both have elastic waists...quick and easy pull down, quick and easy up.😅 Mine are not the most flattering, but comfort overrides fashion and works for me. I don't "think" anyone has caught a glimpse of my bum in five caminos.🙂
Hi Chrissy, Me too, 5 Caminos. :) Very fun!

I bought a pair of the Ziphers hiking shorts. I’ve tested the zip-and-pee feature and it seems to work as advertised. I haven’t been able to test them on a hike here in Phoenix. However, they have become my new favorite workout shorts. They are made of a thick, stretchy material that’s really comfortable. I like that they are high waisted and fairly long (I got the 9” length). They have two phone pockets, one of which I use for my airbud case.
Hi Sierra, Yes, ZipHers make not only Leggings with an EZ2Pee Zipper, but also for Shorts, Pants, etc etc. I think they probably have 10 different styles of Pants, Leggings, Shorts with a 18” Zipper that makes UnZipping, Peeing and Walking or Exercising as fast and efficient for me as it is for my husband. No more waiting for me!! Yea!! I would get their shorts but my legs probably don’t look as good as yours. :) Enjoy this great invention!!

Attachments

• ABEB6AA0-AA29-406A-A2D4-6C505BB33B1F.jpeg
    ABEB6AA0-AA29-406A-A2D4-6C505BB33B1F.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 29
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey,

Hey, where can I get a pair? I will be in Vt in a few days!!!
Hi,
I am in Bear Mountain now, on the Hudson, so beautiful, albeit hot. My ZipHers.com pants are similar to what is described above. I have used them a few times outside while hiking in these beautiful words. -Did you get yourself a pair of the EZPee type Pants she describes above for your Vermont trip? I love love love what I got!!

A similar brand is Ziphers. Extended sizing, fast service. I got a pair of bike shorts from them last summer that were all that. They have a hiking pant that I would totally get if I liked wearing pants when I walk. Really great idea!
My exact experience with ZipHers brand of pants and leggings! When they have Sales, I buy them and give them as gifts to other Camigas and friends. 😉👍

Attachments

• 04F91461-6134-4EC4-A1CB-222D1C97EFFF.jpeg
    04F91461-6134-4EC4-A1CB-222D1C97EFFF.jpeg
    552.5 KB · Views: 15
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have waited to reply until I got to try them out. Squat- unders to the side- no muss no fuss, did not pee on my hand. Zipper works without catching fabric or body parts. I did use them first here on the farm to try and determine "exposure". My biggest mistake was asking my husband to participate. After many comments too inappropriate to write here, the conclusion was- no exposure from the front, and a tiny bit of cheek in the back. They are comfortable. I have walked, sat in a car for a few hours as well as a lawn mower. They are keepers for me!

The zipper has not gotten stuck, even when I tried to see if that could happen!

Soooo, I have to hold my undies to the side while I pee. Hmmmm, how am I not going to get my hand wet? Oh, I know! I can wear a latex glove!! Sorry, just couldn't resist;-)

Looking at both brands mentioned, the zipper on the Ziphers is less bulky and noticeable. I'm not there yet, but maybe I'll give it a try next year.
I looked at the Ziphers while I was waiting for these pants. The looked like pull-on pants (which I don't like), and the zipper appears to go from the bottom of the waistband in the front to the bottom of the waistband in the back. Seems like too much exposure for me! The zipper however seems more bulky- probably due to the heavier fabric.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My ZipHers.com Leggings have an 18 Zipper and they feel no different than any other Leggings I have. I don’t feel the Zipper at all. But I do appreciate how easy they are to Pee. I just UnZip & pull my undies over & Pee. My 4 1/2 granddaughter recently learned how to do that with her Bathing Suit. 😉

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.