• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Newish Sandals of a Very Well Known Brand Are Slippery in The Wet

Vieve

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the Frances
I intend to take my sandals, to be worn with gaiters and toe socks. They will be worn in the evenings , and as back up , should my feet need a break from my Altra Olympic 5s.
My sandals which are a few weeks old, are quite slippery in the wet and on mossy surfaces.
I would like to apply a non- slip slurry of something like paint and sand, to the bottom of the sandals to make them safer.
I realise that I may have to leave them at home.
Sure , my idea of applying something to the sandals is probably a silly idea , but I would appreciate the thoughts of all of you problem solvers out there.
Thank you

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I intend to take my sandals, to be worn with gaiters and toe socks. They will be worn in the evenings , and as back up , should my feet need a break from my Altra Olympic 5s.
My sandals which are a few weeks old, are quite slippery in the wet and on mossy surfaces.
I would like to apply a non- slip slurry of something like paint and sand, to the bottom of the sandals to make them safer.
Sure , my idea of applying something to the sandals is probably a silly idea , but I would appreciate the thoughts of all of you problem solvers out there.
Thank you
Maybe just scuff the soles a bit with rough sandpaper. If you paint them, it seems like it may come off where you don't want it to.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you
Back in my long ago youth we used to use a very sharp knife to cut a tread pattern in our slick motorcycle racing tyres when we wanted to use them in the wet. Perhaps you could do the same with your sandals.

A rough sandpaper will do the job nicely. Many new sandals have a very tin "film" on them from the production process. Actually, it's part of the sole molding process.

Other than this, my recommendation is to shop for sandals or other footwear with Vibram brand soles. These soles, from this nearly ancient - or at least venerable - company are know for their "gription."

Hope this helps.

Tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sometime the solution is staring us right in the face, but we miss it. You already know they don’t work. I think you have answered your own question. 😉
I have to agree with the above, the one you have sounds quite dangerous, despite it being from a well known brand.

I had my first hiking sandals last year and was amazed at the grip. You want sandals that work for you, not be a potential hazard.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would buy other sandals for Camino. Keep this pair for sunny days around home. There are a lot of towns and cities with cobblestone streets and they can be very slippery when it's raining or early mornings when they are cleaning the streets.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would buy other sandals for Camino. Keep this pair for sunny days around home. There are a lot of towns and cities with cobblestone streets and they can be very slippery when it's raining or early mornings when they are cleaning the streets.
Thanks K. Lynn
Yes indeed KLynn.
I slipped on flat wet concrete in them yesterday

Flat wet concrete with little texture is a worst case scenario for any tread. There’s nothing to grip. So could it be that it was just a bad spot?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A rough sandpaper will do the job nicely. Many new sandals have a very tin "film" on them from the production process. Actually, it's part of the sole molding process.

Other than this, my recommendation is to shop for sandals or other footwear with Vibram brand soles. These soles, from this nearly ancient - or at least venerable - company are know for their "gription."

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thanks Tom I will rough the soles up for improvement,but will get some open toed sandals with vibram soles Thanks

Flat wet concrete with little texture is a worst case scenario for any tread. There’s nothing to grip. So could it be that it was just a bad spot?
Yes Keith but Im thinking that there might be more than a few bad spots along the way.
I was born in 1950,and while fit enough,Im not as flexible as I used to be.
I think a Vibram sole is best for me. Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks K. Lynn
Yes indeed KLynn.
I slipped on flat wet concrete in them yesterday
UGH! Hope you didn't injure yourself!
I hate having to replace gear prior to using them for my intended purpose, but it's much better to find out they are unsuitable now than while on Camino. I wish you Sturdy Non-Slippy Sandals!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sometime the solution is staring us right in the face, but we miss it. You already know they don’t work. I think you have answered your own question. 😉
Yes indeed
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
UGH! Hope you didn't injure yourself!
I hate having to replace gear prior to using them for my intended purpose, but it's much better to find out they are unsuitable now than while on Camino. I wish you Sturdy Non-Slippy Sandals!
It was a small slip no injury,but certainly got me thinking.
Thanks K.Lynn

my (oldish) Teva TerraFi sandals have a sole, I think it’s called Spyder, which doesn’t even slip, to any great extent, on seaweed-strewn rocks.
They don’t slip on anything else.
I don’t know whether or not they make them with the same compound now, but you could have a look at them.
(The newer Terra Fi lightweight ones might not have the same sole.)

My Chacos have a Vibram sole and I’ve never noticed them slipping but I always use the Tevas if I’m going to be walking on slippery surfaces.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Throw them away and buy some new ones. Something like Tevas with vibram soles. That way they have a dual purpose (important when backpacking) as back-up hiking shoes.
I personally wouldn't jeopardize my trip on the Camino by risking injury by slipping and falling down because of dodgy sandals.

Back in my long ago youth we used to use a very sharp knife to cut a tread pattern in our slick motorcycle racing tyres when we wanted to use them in the wet. Perhaps you could do the same with your sandals.
Same basic deal with new leather-soled shoes. Cheese grater or garlic grater across the bottom a few times. The grater method is likely to work well on the sandals without causing any weak spots in the treads.

my (oldish) Teva TerraFi sandals have a sole, I think it’s called Spyder, which doesn’t even slip, to any great extent, on seaweed-strewn rocks.
I don’t know whether or not they make them with the same compound now, but you could have a look at them.

My Chacos have a Vibram sole and I’ve never noticed them slipping but I always use the Tevas if I’m going to be walking on slippery surfaces.
Thanks Chinacat.
My new Made in Cambodia Tevaa sandals are the guilty party.
I will need to go to a very large outdoor shop in my nearest city ( Brisbane Aust. ) and have a good look around,as Im running out of time to be ordering on line,and sending back.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a feeling that Teva have changed in the last few years. This is why I said I didn’t know if the soles were made with the same compound as mine now.

I can think of at least one other outdoor footwear company that has been taken over and has succumbed to the ethos of “cut production costs to the bone, use the equivalent of slave labour, and charge the earth“ (in more than one sense).

Good luck with your search 🍀
and buen camino!

There are different types of Vibram soles.

Thank you for this Trecile

Who would have thought that theres so much variation.
I have referred this to my local Kathmandu outlet

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Had the same slippery experience with Keen fisherman sandals. Who would have thought a sandal with fisherman name wouldn’t grip wet rocks? My solution was to switch to ECCO brand sandals. Great grip and excellent arch support. Also you might look at any shoes with Vibram soles. They make many different soles but the few shoes I‘ve owned with Vibram soles have all had excellent wet grip.

Thanks China Cat.
I have taken all of that on board

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Had the same slippery experience with Keen fisherman sandals. Who would have thought a sandal with fisherman name wouldn’t grip wet rocks? My solution was to switch to ECCO brand sandals. Great grip and excellent arch support. Also you might look at any shoes with Vibram soles. They make many different soles but the few shoes I‘ve owned with Vibram soles have all had excellent wet grip.
Thanks Weradin
Vibram seems to be the answer. These Tevas are useless as they are. Others have given me some ideas fir modifying them, but they will never be much good.
Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.