• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Next “Camino”

RobertS26

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, (2013)
Camino Frances, (2014)
Camino Frances, (2015)
When I walked my first Camino, I set out with a change of clothes, some rain gear, a jacket, and toiletries in my backpack. I had a cell phone, but no Euroean chip. Communication would be strictly WiFi. Like most, my emotions bounced back and forth from “how cool is is?” to “this is without question the dumbest thing you’ve ever done.”

But as each day passed I knew I had made the right decision. Going minimalist and carrying my own backpack was teaching me a valuable lesson. I was happy. In fact, very happy. Yet I had few material possessions around me. And being disconnected from the internet was such a blessing.

Sadly, returning to work caused many of those Camino lessons to fade. So I did two more Caminos as “booster shots.” But again the effects wore off as the dailey grind of life took its toll.

Now, as I approach retirement, I’m giving a lot of thought to what is next. Specifically, what can I do in retirement that will give me the same feeling of joy and happiness that I have found on the Camino.

Well, I just booked tickets to Zimbabwe where I am going to volunteer in an orphanage for three weeks to determine if that sort of thing is going to be my retirement. And I am convinced that I never would have taken the step of volunteering in a place without amenities normally associated with life here in the United States without my Camino experiences.

So my Camino through life starts a new three week path in June.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This was a wonderful post, Robert. I will be very interested in hearing about the outcome of your stint as a volunteer. I have my suspicions that you will be drawn to this volunteer pathway as you experience working at the orphanage.

There were a few times when I was assigned to temporary duty (TDY) with my helicopter and crew mates to areas of Africa. We were supporting Green Beret special forces advisers. Although there was a military purpose, I spent a lot of time working with the Team's medic in providing immunizations and treatment for villagers and others who walked miles just for the help we could provide.

We also located a well site to access supplies of fresh water, and I spent a lot of time digging and laying pipe for a new waste disposal system to help keep the water free from contamination.

Around the second day I noticed I had a shadow. The shadow was a 6 year old orphaned girl for whom the local villagers cared. She was well nourished, although thin, and relatively healthy. I eventually started calling her 'Velcro' because she stuck with me just about everywhere I went. :)

Usually when I broke for lunch, I would walk back to the Huey and sit in the opening of the cargo doors. Most of our food was C-Rations, which I could tolerate, but didn't care for. . . at least the main meal can. The crackers, candy, powdered cocoa, etc was OK.

Sure enough, Velcro would be right there with me. For the first couple of days, she kept me at length; she would follow me around, but never too close. When I sat in the Huey's doorway, she would squat down about 6 feet away. On the fourth day, without a word, after I sat down she hopped up and sat beside me. Nor real eye contact, but she would just sort of stare out at her village, swing her little legs back and forth.

My aircraft brought far more cases of C-Rats than we would actually need. . . it was sort of a 'One is none, two is one' type of deal. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Anyways, I would always break apart a C-Rat and open the cans of stuff for her. Even now I smile at how she acted like those bland tasting meals were manna from heaven. The first time she tasted a fruit cocktail, her eyes got sooo big I thought they would pop out of her head.

I knew I had to be careful about what and how much she ate of our food. But there was enough selection for her and I to enjoy quite lunches together.

After our 6 week TDY was over, we were packing up the Huey to fly out to the exfil airport where we would park our Huey into a C-5 Galaxy for transport back to Germany. Since we were flying that day, I was wearing my Nomex, and my top was just soaking in sweat. I had just finished securing some supplies and turned around to grab something else when I saw Velcro and a village elder standing nearby.

The elder approached and started talking to me. At first I didn't understand the broken English. Then I got that she was asking if I wanted to take Velcro with me. When I understood what was being asked, tears started welling up. I had grown extremely fond of Velcro and I would miss seeing her. But aside of the fact that I was just barely 20 years old, there was no conceivable way on earth that the military or state department or embassy or political reality would ever allow that to happen.

What gave me peace was knowing she was being cared for right where she was. During my time in Vietnam, orphans were rampant. . . street kids living off of scraps and struggling to survive. Velcro was in no danger of being in a similar situation.

I am telling you this story, Robert, because after my time in the Army was over, I was drawn back to Africa time and time again. When I was assigned the TDY mission, I hated the idea of going and if I had a choice I would have opted out. After I got there, something really changed and I grew to love it. The insects and climate and lack of all the modern American conveniences kinda sucked, but I loved working with the people there.

Don't say you weren't warned 😁😉😇

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a wonderful post, Robert. I will be very interested in hearing about the outcome of your stint as a volunteer. I have my suspicions that you will be drawn to this volunteer pathway as you experience working at the orphanage.

There were a few times when I was assigned to temporary duty (TDY) with my helicopter and crew mates to areas of Africa. We were supporting Green Beret special forces advisers. Although there was a military purpose, I spent a lot of time working with the Team's medic in providing immunizations and treatment for villagers and others who walked miles just for the help we could provide.

We also located a well site to access supplies of fresh water, and I spent a lot of time digging and laying pipe for a new waste disposal system to help keep the water free from contamination.

Around the second day I noticed I had a shadow. The shadow was a 6 year old orphaned girl for whom the local villagers cared. She was well nourished, although thin, and relatively healthy. I eventually started calling her 'Velcro' because she stuck with me just about everywhere I went. :)

Usually when I broke for lunch, I would walk back to the Huey and sit in the opening of the cargo doors. Most of our food was C-Rations, which I could tolerate, but didn't care for. . . at least the main meal can. The crackers, candy, powdered cocoa, etc was OK.

Sure enough, Velcro would be right there with me. For the first couple of days, she kept me at length; she would follow me around, but never too close. When I sat in the Huey's doorway, she would squat down about 6 feet away. On the fourth day, without a word, after I sat down she hopped up and sat beside me. Nor real eye contact, but she would just sort of stare out at her village, swing her little legs back and forth.

My aircraft brought far more cases of C-Rats than we would actually need. . . it was sort of a 'One is none, two is one' type of deal. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Anyways, I would always break apart a C-Rat and open the cans of stuff for her. Even now I smile at how she acted like those bland tasting meals were manna from heaven. The first time she tasted a fruit cocktail, her eyes got sooo big I thought they would pop out of her head.

I knew I had to be careful about what and how much she ate of our food. But there was enough selection for her and I to enjoy quite lunches together.

After our 6 week TDY was over, we were packing up the Huey to fly out to the exfil airport where we would park our Huey into a C-5 Galaxy for transport back to Germany. Since we were flying that day, I was wearing my Nomex, and my top was just soaking in sweat. I had just finished securing some supplies and turned around to grab something else when I saw Velcro and a village elder standing nearby.

The elder approached and started talking to me. At first I didn't understand the broken English. Then I got that she was asking if I wanted to take Velcro with me. When I understood what was being asked, tears started welling up. I had grown extremely fond of Velcro and I would miss seeing her. But aside of the fact that I was just barely 20 years old, there was no conceivable way on earth that the military or state department or embassy or political reality would ever allow that to happen.

What gave me peace was knowing she was being cared for right where she was. During my time in Vietnam, orphans were rampant. . . street kids living off of scraps and struggling to survive. Velcro was in no danger of being in a similar situation.

I am telling you this story, Robert, because after my time in the Army was over, I was drawn back to Africa time and time again. When I was assigned the TDY mission, I hated the idea of going and if I had a choice I would have opted out. After I got there, something really changed and I grew to love it. The insects and climate and lack of all the modern American conveniences kinda sucked, but I loved working with the people there.

Great story Davebugg! Made my day!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I adore your stories. Beautiful read first thing in the morning.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
When I walked my first Camino, I set out with a change of clothes, some rain gear, a jacket, and toiletries in my backpack. I had a cell phone, but no Euroean chip. Communication would be strictly WiFi. Like most, my emotions bounced back and forth from “how cool is is?” to “this is without question the dumbest thing you’ve ever done.”

But as each day passed I knew I had made the right decision. Going minimalist and carrying my own backpack was teaching me a valuable lesson. I was happy. In fact, very happy. Yet I had few material possessions around me. And being disconnected from the internet was such a blessing.

Sadly, returning to work caused many of those Camino lessons to fade. So I did two more Caminos as “booster shots.” But again the effects wore off as the dailey grind of life took its toll.

Now, as I approach retirement, I’m giving a lot of thought to what is next. Specifically, what can I do in retirement that will give me the same feeling of joy and happiness that I have found on the Camino.

Well, I just booked tickets to Zimbabwe where I am going to volunteer in an orphanage for three weeks to determine if that sort of thing is going to be my retirement. And I am convinced that I never would have taken the step of volunteering in a place without amenities normally associated with life here in the United States without my Camino experiences.

That is so cool! I too, retired recently, and am trying to decide whether to do my 3rd Camino? or find another adventure to figure things out! Hope to hear how your Zimbabwe trip turns out!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Buen camino in Africa to you! My hat is off to you!

What a great story. Thank you for sharing it. It warmed my heart and gave me hope today. Buen camino to you!

Great story...you are an inspiration. God Bless!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Robert,

It sounds like a wonderful volunteering opportunity, although I'm not fully sure about the political situation there after Mugabe. I hope the opportunity you receive fills your heart as much as it can do.
Dave - Absolutely love your story, amazing how you can feel like what you offer is nothing to you, but it has a huge impact on others.

xxx

Hi Robert and Davebugg ;
Robert, some times we try to plan too far into the future. Going to Africa and volunteering is one experience. It may not be forever but it my open a new door for what God has instore for you.
And Davebugg, you gave Velcro a love that she will remember forever. She may even grow up and build on her time with you and do something she would never have done if not for the time you two spent together.
Life is a series of experiences and choices and the camino gave me plenty of time to reflect on mine.

Ultriea

Very interestinng
I just finished Via Francigena in Dec. and am signing up to do volunteer work in Germany.
I have sold my house and am living I. A vey sweet little nucamp trailer.
Life is too short.
Gretel- Vermont USA

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very interestinng
I just finished Via Francigena in Dec. and am signing up to do volunteer work in Germany.
I have sold my house and am living I. A vey sweet little nucamp trailer.
Life is too short.
Gretel- Vermont USA

Blessngs on your new volunteer service! When we first retired we spent two years volunteering in a poor area of Mexico! Unfortunately the area became so unstable and violent that we were afraid we might be kidnapped or caught in Crossfire. I still miss those children!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back