• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My next packing list - what do you think ....

Undermanager

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
Packing list - note to self for the next Camino:
  1. Rucksack, lightweight, with robust chest harness (very important to take the weight off the shoulders) and waterproof cover. Pay careful attention to physical size as you want to be able to take it on as hand luggage on planes.

2. Walking shoes, broken in, not leather boots (too much sweat). Should be one size bigger than normal shoe size.

3. Replace shoe insoles with top quality ones designed to combat plantar fasciitis.

4. Flip-flops or similar lightweight footwear for evenings.

5. Lightweight walking poles that ideally can be broken down to fit inside a rucksack when taking them on a plane as hand luggage.

6. One pair lightweight walking trousers, ideally ones that can zip to shorts.

7. One pair lightweight quality walking shorts.

8. 1 belt with holes ready for when you lose an inch or two from the waist.

9. Baggy swimming trunks, for wearing in bed mainly but also for swimming.

10. 3 pairs quality walking socks (some walkers change socks every few hours as an anti-blister measure).

11. 3 pairs of knee-length women tights, to be worn under socks as an anti-blister measure.

12. 2 pairs underpants.

13. 2 short sleeve quick-drying sports tops e.g. cycle tops.

14. 1 top quality lightweight fleece. Rab do some great warm micro-fleece products.

15. 1 top quality lightweight rain jacket, ideally in a stuff sack.

16. 1 top quality lightweight rain trousers.

17. 1 wide-brimmed floppy canvas hat, suitable for complete soaking in fountains to keep you cool.

18. Lightweight sleeping bag in a stuff sack. Many but not all places supply blankets so you might get away with a sleeping sheet most of the time. However, a quality lightweight (read: expensive) sleeping bag will give you peace of mind and some nights may be cold.

19. Medical kit in separate washbag - different sized Compeed patches, 5 metres good quality tape, 2 self-sticking bandages, iodine, needles, thread, alcohol spray, Germolene, 12 ibuprofen tablets, disinfectant wipes. Note: buy a lighter and good scissors in Spain if intending to take rucksack on plane as hand luggage as they might be confiscated if taken on as hand luggage.

20. Washing kit in separate wash bag - toothbrush and toothpaste, a few dozen toothpicks and cotton bugs, cheap plastic 100ml screw-top bottles (from Poundsaver) with shower gel and suntan lotion, plastic bags to put anything that might leak in, small bar of soap in bag, a dozen pairs of the best-quality industrial earplugs you can buy (eBay is a good source), eye mask for sleeping. Lip sun block.

21. A fast-drying, microfibre lightweight towel (the ones that feel a bit like a chamois leather are best).

22. Large screen smartphone (the larger the better), with different gps apps and different maps of Spain loaded (and you know how to use them). Check you are happy with the camera / video quality for your needs. Download a couple of Spanish phrasebooks, any music you want, Kindle books or similar and audio books.

23. Headphones.

24. I would recommend a smartphone with changeable batteries (not Apple). Buy two extra quality batteries (not cheap copies that struggle to hold their charge) and an external battery charger. They cost and weigh very little. You won’t have to leave an expensive phone lying around being charged and will have enough power for three days.

25. Don’t forget the charger and lead and a power socket converter - make sure the Spanish 2-pin plug end is round not square as you won’t be able to push it into most Spanish sockets otherwise!

26. LED head lamp with quality head strap. Although your phone will have a light, there really is no substitute for a hands-free light early in the morning or when walking in the dark. The cheapest headlamps have head straps that are naff.

27. One 1 litre water bottle. Not really necessary but they keep cold water colder longer than just using plastic bottles.

28. One pair distance glasses + two pairs reading glasses + reading glasses strap.

29. Half a bog roll - always handy!

30. Passport and Credential, Euro medical card and medical insurance card. Keep in under-trouser flat wallet.

31. Paper copy of medical insurance, passport and emergency contact details + pdfs of them stored online. Also store phone numbers somewhere to report lost credit cards.

32. Euro cashcard, one other credit card and £100 emergency cash.
Other things:
  1. Prepare feet two weeks before leaving with walking balm to help reduce problems. There are apparently some good German products on the market, designed to prepare and prevent feet issues, that have to be applied a few weeks in advance. Need to identify something.

2. Any medical things you need, plus a Spanish translation equivalent for any medical stuff you may need to buy in Spain.

3. Sunglasses? Not a fan personally.

4. I’d recommend the Samsung Note 4 phones. They are now reasonably cheap, have a big screen and have a great stylus that makes many jobs easy.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The secret German foot balm is called Hirschtalg (deer tallow) but hard to find outside German speaking countries ;-) Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hirschtalg is the product, but produced by different companies. I think Gehwohl has them also - so double win for you ;-) SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lightweight walking poles that ideally can be broken down to fit inside a rucksack when taking them on a plane as hand luggage.
Regardless of whether they will fit inside your carry-on, it's possible that you may not be allowed to carry poles on the plane.

Last edited:
Ditch the toothpicks and take a small container of waxed dental floss instead . Works far better for the Jamon and other carne' that you may encounter and doubles as the strongest sewing thread for repairs to clothes , backpacks and shoes .
The waxed variety is easier on your teeth and much easier to use as a sewing media in tough synthetic or leather products . Works a treat on buttons as well .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Note: buy a lighter and good scissors in Spain--Yeah--like Spain has stores that are open! Do NOT think that you are in a 3rd world country--you will be in a 4th world country where EVERY tienda closes all afternoon and on Sunday! Went 4 days before I found a store that was open where I could buy a bar of soap!

And planning on eating? Don't bet on it on a Sunday! We had 40 + pilgrims in an albergue in one town on a Sunday when the restaurant 20 meters away advised us that they closed at 14:00! Tienda was already closed so we could not buy any food there. Luckily there was a bar in town that sold microwave pizza. In Spain, the customer is ALWAYS wrong and the owners of bars & Tiendas don't care if you want or need food. Take a 5 pound ham, mustard, bread, etc in your pack!

Put your pack in the baggage compartment of the plane with a knife, scissors, lighter, Duct tape, etc in it.

strangely, whenever I go to a store or restaurant in the US after closing hours, they are closed:eek:
some sort of rubbish about families, personal lives, etc. Who do they think they are?
imagine them not being open 24/7 in order to serve my every whim and make up for my poor planning...
that's it, I'm not staying here one minute longer:mad:

Bet those stores in the US are open between 12:00 and 16:00. And I don't know of any restaurant in the US that would close with 40+ potential customers sitting 20 meters away with no other option. Even in Leon which is a nice size city, it was difficult to find a place to eat on a Sunday afternoon. Pack that 5 pound ham!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bet those stores in the US are open between 12:00 and 16:00. And I don't know of any restaurant in the US that would close with 40+ potential customers sitting 20 meters away with no other option. Even in Leon which is a nice size city, it was difficult to find a place to eat on a Sunday afternoon. Pack that 5 pound ham!

Yes we do things different here....
Another thread where the joys ( yes it is a joy ) of a siesta/ closing times of shops is dealt with.
IMHO opinion the customer has rights but so do the people working in the shops have.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/spanish-siesta.39672/#post-399159

Ultreia.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
  1. Rucksack, lightweight, with robust chest harness (very important to take the weight off the shoulders) and waterproof cover. Pay careful attention to physical size as you want to be able to take it on as hand luggage on planes.

2. Walking shoes, broken in, not leather boots (too much sweat). Should be one size bigger than normal shoe size.

3. Replace shoe insoles with top quality ones designed to combat plantar fasciitis.

4. Flip-flops or similar lightweight footwear for evenings.

5. Lightweight walking poles that ideally can be broken down to fit inside a rucksack when taking them on a plane as hand luggage.

6. One pair lightweight walking trousers, ideally ones that can zip to shorts.

7. One pair lightweight quality walking shorts.

8. 1 belt with holes ready for when you lose an inch or two from the waist.

9. Baggy swimming trunks, for wearing in bed mainly but also for swimming.

10. 3 pairs quality walking socks (some walkers change socks every few hours as an anti-blister measure).

11. 3 pairs of knee-length women tights, to be worn under socks as an anti-blister measure.

12. 2 pairs underpants.

13. 2 short sleeve quick-drying sports tops e.g. cycle tops.

14. 1 top quality lightweight fleece. Rab do some great warm micro-fleece products.

15. 1 top quality lightweight rain jacket, ideally in a stuff sack.

16. 1 top quality lightweight rain trousers.

17. 1 wide-brimmed floppy canvas hat, suitable for complete soaking in fountains to keep you cool.

18. Lightweight sleeping bag in a stuff sack. Many but not all places supply blankets so you might get away with a sleeping sheet most of the time. However, a quality lightweight (read: expensive) sleeping bag will give you peace of mind and some nights may be cold.

19. Medical kit in separate washbag - different sized Compeed patches, 5 metres good quality tape, 2 self-sticking bandages, iodine, needles, thread, alcohol spray, Germolene, 12 ibuprofen tablets, disinfectant wipes. Note: buy a lighter and good scissors in Spain if intending to take rucksack on plane as hand luggage as they might be confiscated if taken on as hand luggage.

20. Washing kit in separate wash bag - toothbrush and toothpaste, a few dozen toothpicks and cotton bugs, cheap plastic 100ml screw-top bottles (from Poundsaver) with shower gel and suntan lotion, plastic bags to put anything that might leak in, small bar of soap in bag, a dozen pairs of the best-quality industrial earplugs you can buy (eBay is a good source), eye mask for sleeping. Lip sun block.

21. A fast-drying, microfibre lightweight towel (the ones that feel a bit like a chamois leather are best).

22. Large screen smartphone (the larger the better), with different gps apps and different maps of Spain loaded (and you know how to use them). Check you are happy with the camera / video quality for your needs. Download a couple of Spanish phrasebooks, any music you want, Kindle books or similar and audio books.

23. Headphones.

24. I would recommend a smartphone with changeable batteries (not Apple). Buy two extra quality batteries (not cheap copies that struggle to hold their charge) and an external battery charger. They cost and weigh very little. You won’t have to leave an expensive phone lying around being charged and will have enough power for three days.

25. Don’t forget the charger and lead and a power socket converter - make sure the Spanish 2-pin plug end is round not square as you won’t be able to push it into most Spanish sockets otherwise!

26. LED head lamp with quality head strap. Although your phone will have a light, there really is no substitute for a hands-free light early in the morning or when walking in the dark. The cheapest headlamps have head straps that are naff.

27. One 1 litre water bottle. Not really necessary but they keep cold water colder longer than just using plastic bottles.

28. One pair distance glasses + two pairs reading glasses + reading glasses strap.

29. Half a bog roll - always handy!

30. Passport and Credential, Euro medical card and medical insurance card. Keep in under-trouser flat wallet.

31. Paper copy of medical insurance, passport and emergency contact details + pdfs of them stored online. Also store phone numbers somewhere to report lost credit cards.

32. Euro cashcard, one other credit card and £100 emergency cash.
Other things:
  1. Prepare feet two weeks before leaving with walking balm to help reduce problems. There are apparently some good German products on the market, designed to prepare and prevent feet issues, that have to be applied a few weeks in advance. Need to identify something.

2. Any medical things you need, plus a Spanish translation equivalent for any medical stuff you may need to buy in Spain.

3. Sunglasses? Not a fan personally.

4. I’d recommend the Samsung Note 4 phones. They are now reasonably cheap, have a big screen and have a great stylus that makes many jobs easy.
And a female list? Somewhat different I'd suggest....and fun to construct

Last edited:
be carefull with decanting shower gel etc into small containers. I had some confiscated at airport security hand luggage. They required the branded bottles. The logic of this escapes me. But looking for the logic was probably my first failing!!

be carefull with decanting shower gel etc into small containers. I had some confiscated at airport security hand luggage. They required the branded bottles. The logic of this escapes me. But looking for the logic was probably my first failing!!
What??? I've never heard of that before. It shouldn't matter what kind of bottle it's in, just so long as it's 100ml or less.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ditto, the bottle might have been confiscated because the ml were not clear, but for not being branded? Highly unlikely! SY

maybe they couldn't be sure if they were 3 oz or less without the label. Maybe they couldn't be sure what it was (although it's simple enough to substitute explosives in a travel sized shampoo bottle). I don't enjoy delays in passing through security, so I check all liquids, as well as the things that security prohibits like knives and poles. Then you don't have to worry about the possible mood or motivation of the person screening.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ditto, the bottle might have been confiscated because the ml were not clear, but for not being branded? Highly unlikely! SY

it was clearly under 100ml in size. I had bought a set of three designed for that purpose in a clear bag in the travel section in a pharmacy..... Happened me anyway. Obviously not a widespread practice

it was clearly under 100ml in size. I had bought a set of three designed for that purpose in a clear bag in the travel section in a pharmacy..... Happened me anyway. Obviously not a widespread practice
some people are not accurate judges of size:eek:...or they may have already been reprimanded by a supervisor for letting something too large get past...or they may have reliable info about increased threat level so are really enforcing the rules. If there is a place on the bottle that states size note its location so you can point it out, or highlight it with a sharpie. I have also seen bottles that were larger than 3.4 oz, say labelled 5 oz, but clearly half empty be confiscated for the same reason. Safest way to get your liquids through, check them. Second safest, have them in bottles that have the volume marked by the manufacturer. Anything else, you may lose them. I can fit a 10 oz (296 ml) bottle into a quart zip lock, so getting it into a bag doesn't prove its size to airport security.

LED head lamp with quality head strap. Although your phone will have a light, there really is no substitute for a hands-free light early in the morning or when walking in the dark.
Please don't take a headlamp unless you expect to walk in the dark. Inside they end up shining in everybody's eyes. A little keychain light is probably all you need inside. Preferably with a red LED. This substitution will save you some weight and bulk and save others aggravation. They don't weigh or cost much so, even if you do need the headlamp for walking, take one of the keychain lights for inside use.

An example of the keychain light:
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Photon-Micro-Light-II-LED-Personal--9046

Last edited:
Inside they end up shining in everybody's eyes.
unless of course you are bunked next to some obnoxious drunk who came in at 2 am. then shine away:)
note: that was a joke, please no light pay backs.
I am now imagining pilgrims outfitted with the led "headlight" equipped shoes mentioned on another thread, and these head lamps, bumping around in the room.:eek:

A headlamp is only really a headlamp if it is on your head , held in your hand it becomes a torch . The best of both worlds , discrete lighting in bunk rooms if strapped to your wrist and a hands free headlight if you really need it .

I had a lamp clip. It was great, clipped it chest high. At this height it won't blast someone in the eyes. Never used a light in the bunk rooms.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi there. A chest harness is nice to have on a backpack but it will do nothing to take any weight off of your shoulders. That job lies squarely with the all-important waist belt. A waist belt is far more important than a chest strap. When properly fitted and adjusted, the waist belt will take virtually all of the weight of the pack and the two shoulder straps simply keep the pack tight to your back. The chest strap simply adds more stability and adjustment.

Many backpacks will not be allowed as carry-on luggage due to their size, particularly if they have any sort of internal frame. This should not deter anyone from bringing the most comfortable and appropriate backpack for her or him.

Actually many packs will fit as carry on luggage as long as they are not overpacked. I would never check my pack or boots (especially boots). These are the most difficult to adequately replace if luggage goes astray. Next to make the cut: my socks (I'm fussy and use seamless ones), gloves (I have child sized hands), and pants. Put in items in order of how difficult to replace until carry on dimensions are reached. Check anything remaining, and prohibited items (oversized/unlabeled liquids, knife, poles).

Hello
If your pack is sized and adjusted correctly there should not be any weight being carried by your shoulders. Should straps on packs are there to only keep the pack from falling back. As for socks stay away form anything containing wool or cotton. Cotton anything is a bad choice. Wool fibers will not hold together during long periods of pounding creating a painful waffle pattern on the soles of your feet. Don't discount leather boots. With a thin pair of nylon socks they provide a waterproof and multi-terrain protection.

It is the Airport security that can be the problem in my experience. If you cannot actually show the framing then they really do not like it. The maximum size for carry on bags in the UK is 55 x 40 x 20 cm, so Smallest Sparrow is correct BUT staff on budget airlines can take exception to loose waist belts etcetera, so always check with your Airline, else you could find your self getting your luggage thrown in the hold , straps snagged on stuff, and being generally damaged. From bad experiences in the past I always just use the cover transport bag.

I can see the security concerns...I don't think my Osprey frame is metal so maybe that was a reason it got through...although they don't mind rolling bags and those definitely have metal frame and pull handles...
the bag you suggest might be handy if you get to a gate agent that doesn't want straps dangling (although coats and bags often have dangling straps so that would be an odd complaint) you could put the pack into the bag to carry onto the aircraft...but I think it is not the straps but the extremely over-packed nature of some back packs that causes them to be pulled at the gate (every time I've seen a bag stopped it was because it clearly could not fit under a seat, and perhaps not even in the overhead bin). I have flown many times out of DC area airports with a backpack (and I'm anxious about getting through security so double check all the rules)...no one has ever stopped me at security or at the gate...but I keep my pack small, tie up the straps, and don't try to hide forbidden items inside.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.