• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My old Camino shoes have been stolen.....

BPG2017

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017
😢 😢😢 I did the Camino just once in 2017, one of the great experiences of my lifetime. The shoes that carried me to Santiago have been my pride and joy, still used regularly for little hikes and longer walks, bringing me pleasure and pride every time I put them on. I was planning to keep them for the rest of my life, as weird mantlepiece decorations some day, once they became completely worn out...

Last week someone stole them. I have been mourning all week. I cannot get used to the fact that my beloved keepsake, aglow with happy memories, is no longer with me.

Just sharing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
😢 😢😢 I did the Camino just once in 2017, one of the great experiences of my lifetime. The shoes that carried me to Santiago have been my pride and joy, still used regularly for little hikes and longer walks, bringing me pleasure and pride every time I put them on. I was planning to keep them for the rest of my life, as weird mantlepiece decorations some day, once they became completely worn out...

Last week someone stole them. I have been mourning all week. I cannot get used to the fact that my beloved keepsake, aglow with happy memories, is no longer with me.

Just sharing.
Where did you leave them ?
Think of it as helping someone in need. I’d assume the person who took them must have needed them ?

Just sharing.

I hear you brother! Anyone who can grieve the loss of a pair of old shoes have my sympathy.... ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Just sharing.
Just thinking here .... do you have a house proud Spouse/Partner? Also did they disappear around the time the garbage truck visited your area?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have had an REI backpacking towel for decades. It was just the right size and weight and worked perfectly. Last year on the Camino Portugues Central, I accidently left it at the fire station in a small town. They said they would post it to me so I asked how much they wanted and they never replied. I am sad that something that has been with me on many, many, many adventures is gone. So on that level I can relate. I hope that whoever took your boots thought they were left out for the taking, and that once you advertise and get the word out, will contact you to return them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for all the sympathetic replies. Just to clarify, it was a break-in into our closed veranda, so unfortunately no charitable explanations possible. (Nothing else was taken, so I assume they saw the shoes through the glass and went for them.) I am trying to take it philosophically, as Rako said - but at the same time wondering if this is a call to repeat the Camino next year, to break in a new pair of keepsake shoes :) ….

I wore a pair of high top Patagonia hiking boots on our first two caminos and loved them. I didn't think they'd make a third camino, so I purchased a similar pair / design - Merrill Moabs and wore them last year on our third camino. I am a member of a volunteer church group that travels to a Catholic orphanage each year for a week. I wore them as work shoes during the week, then donated them to the orphanage. There aren't many adult locals that wear size 13 boots, but I'm sure someone put them to good use.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I understand the feeling. I took this photo after completing the CF. After that, 100 km on the CN, and probably 500 km more since then. They’re hanging in there but the sole is getting thin. Time to replace. But I have a strong emotional attachment like I’ve not had with shoes before! What to do with them!

E8BBC985-00F2-4BC0-BEEC-2311E10719F6.jpeg

I understand the feeling. I took this photo after completing the CF. After that, 100 km on the CN, and probably 500 km more since then. They’re hanging in there but the sole is getting thin. Time to replace. But I have a strong emotional attachment like I’ve not had with shoes before! What to do with them!

View attachment 75169
Why not do what I was planning to do with mine? Spray them bronze and use them as weird mantlepiece decorations! My idea was ispired by something I saw (and photographed) somewhere between Portomarin and SdC:
IMG_20170908_114324.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for all the sympathetic replies. Just to clarify, it was a break-in into our closed veranda, so unfortunately no charitable explanations possible. (Nothing else was taken, so I assume they saw the shoes through the glass and went for them.) I am trying to take it philosophically, as Rako said - but at the same time wondering if this is a call to repeat the Camino next year, to break in a new pair of keepsake shoes :) ….
What a strange thing to steal - i think you are right, take this as a donation to a soul in need of broken-in comfy boots and a sign that its time to let go of what has served you well and break in new boots ready to make new walking memories. When the time comes we are able to travel again they should be nice and ready 🥾🥾👍

Just sharing.
Where were they when this happened????

Your boots may have been swiped for a gift and not fit and may be donated to charity. Let local second-hand and consignment shops know about this so they can give you a call when a pair of boots come in.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have you checked outside your house as I once had a break in and found my less valuable belongs scattered in a nearby field. Also if you let us know size and make we can all look out for them on eBay. I agree it is now a time for short walks which is good to break in new boots.

yku

Just sharing.
Oh Bella 2017, I am SO, so sorry and sad to read this news, as I know well, the attachment one feels towards walking boots, or, in your case, shoes. I still have my original pair of hiking/Outdoor boots which i bought in 1972. and These boots have taken my feet on many an adventure and i would be absolutely devastated should anything happen to them. They now sit quietly in my wardrobe and i keep the leather maintained, but i can no longer wear them due to changes in my feet. - some things do remaiń special even though the Camino taught me that " less is definitely more". Love and empathy..

Last edited:
I am truly humbled to read of this loss of a significant Camino memory, especially a physical memory. We take away much away from our Caminos in our hearts, our souls and our memories, but the tangibles we take away are, quite simply, priceless. See, witth one exception, every one of three previous Caminos has brought me face to boot lace with sullen and disagreeable shoes or boots. Footwear which bites me, pains me, stumbles me and pinches me. My feet, of course, are the middle victims, turning from helpless toes from boot to me crumpled with anxiety, dread and fear. And blisters. Oh, there have been days when we all get along: me, the boots, the feet, but too often, its an uneasy and short-lived alliance. Keep them? Not on your life -- strraight into the bin or, I confess, Goodwill. Well, whenever the fourth Camino, I have a solution and, in experimental walks so far, working brilliantly! Sandals! Ultreya!

€60,-
I am truly humbled to read of this loss of a significant Camino memory, especially a physical memory. We take away much away from our Caminos in our hearts, our souls and our memories, but the tangibles we take away are, quite simply, priceless. See, witth one exception, every one of three previous Caminos has brought me face to boot lace with sullen and disagreeable shoes or boots. Footwear which bites me, pains me, stumbles me and pinches me. My feet, of course, are the middle victims, turning from helpless toes from boot to me crumpled with anxiety, dread and fear. And blisters. Oh, there have been days when we all get along: me, the boots, the feet, but too often, its an uneasy and short-lived alliance. Keep them? Not on your life -- strraight into the bin or, I confess, Goodwill. Well, whenever the fourth Camino, I have a solution and, in experimental walks so far, working brilliantly! Sandals! Ultreya!
I highly recommend SANDALS!!! I started my first Camino wearing a pair of hiking shoes that I had worn for several hundred Km’s that felt like hand-in-glove. But by the time I got to Pamplona, I was blistered, bleeding, limping. I bought a pair of sandals there and walked in comfort the rest of the way. Pitched my beautiful expensive hiking shoes and never missed them. I walked a whole second Camino in the Teva sandals in the photo I posted on this thread. I’ve got them on my feet at this moment as I sip my coffee before taking off on a morning hike. Most comfortable things ever worn on these feet. I USUALLY WEAR SHORT THIN HIKING SOCKS WITH MY SANDALS. Don’t worry, I’m over 60, it’s legal. Every shoe has its downsides. For these: 1) getting small rocks in the foot bed 2) when tramping through mud it’s not pleasant. 3) there are a few moments on the CF when you wish you had more ankle support. Upsides: 1) comfort and cool feet 2) no blisters 3) easy to hose down and air dry quickly 4) if no one is looking, you can use these as your only shoes on the Camino. Each morning on the Camino before putting my socks on I would put athletic tape over those places where historically I get blisters. Not sure if that helped or if it was simply a ritual oblation to the foot goddess! Buen Camino a tus pies!!!

Attachments

• AF375C15-DB75-4CA7-984D-CA133821E630.jpeg
    AF375C15-DB75-4CA7-984D-CA133821E630.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I highly recommend SANDALS!!! I started my first Camino wearing a pair of hiking shoes that I had worn for several hundred Km’s that felt like hand-in-glove. But by the time I got to Pamplona, I was blistered, bleeding, limping. I bought a pair of sandals there and walked in comfort the rest of the way. Pitched my beautiful expensive hiking shoes and never missed them. I walked a whole second Camino in the Teva sandals in the photo I posted on this thread. I’ve got them on my feet at this moment as I sip my coffee before taking off on a morning hike. Most comfortable things ever worn on these feet. I USUALLY WEAR SHORT THIN HIKING SOCKS WITH MY SANDALS. Don’t worry, I’m over 60, it’s legal. Every shoe has its downsides. For these: 1) getting small rocks in the foot bed 2) when tramping through mud it’s not pleasant. 3) there are a few moments on the CF when you wish you had more ankle support. Upsides: 1) comfort and cool feet 2) no blisters 3) easy to hose down and air dry quickly 4) if no one is looking, you can use these as your only shoes on the Camino. Each morning on the Camino before putting my socks on I would put athletic tape over those places where historically I get blisters. Not sure if that helped or if it was simply a ritual oblation to the foot goddess! Buen Camino a tus pies!!!
Teva Terras - two pairs and a pair of NOAH's, originally from Isreal. And one pair of Asics. I shall be disporting them about the trails of Piedmont North Carolina throughout 2020 and, if St James would be so kind to me and many others but esepcially to a recovering Spain, Spring Camino/s 2021. And if you want to wear thin hiking socks with your sandals, you GO for it! By the way, Saint Roch is the patron saint of feet. Apparently born in Montpelier, France, he "went on pilgrimage" (Rome, Jerusalem or Santiago?) and -- wait for it -- is the patron saint of plagues! A timely discovery! And feet! And illness in general. He led quite the life, apparently not a great deal of fun. Go thou to Wikipedia! Although I was raised a Catholic and raised partially in France, I had no previous knowledge of St Roch. So that goddess who protects your feet may, if you will permit this observation, a sanctified French confessor. Buen Camino para nuestros dos conjuntos de pies!

If someone broke in and only took your shoes count yourself lucky. They could have take anything of value, they must have needed the shoes. Maybe take your Camino trip money and start donating shoes to a local charity

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My Camino best friends. I feel your loss.

Attachments

• 8A053CBC-07F5-4451-BF24-9B1924E6BDD4.jpeg
    8A053CBC-07F5-4451-BF24-9B1924E6BDD4.jpeg
    586 KB · Views: 19
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My first Camino shoes now carry a living and growing memory . 20180527_114849.jpg

Last year I bought two pairs of New Balance trail runners for my 2019 camino from SJPDP to Fistera. I used one pair for 600 kilometres of training and then the camino. I have been wearing them every day since. Last Friday I looked at my Excel spreadsheet where I keep track of my walking and cycling and discovered that these shoes had just passed 3500 kilomtetres and decided that it was time for a new pair. I intend to mount these shoes on the wall with my compestellas. I bought a pair of running shoes to use to keep in training for my next camino (It was supposed to be next month) but will use my second pair of trail runners for the two caminos I will be doing in the next year. When they wear out they will probably go on the wall in my workshop as a momento. Obviously from the above blogs I am not the only one who finds it hard to dispose of old friends that have carried me so far and allowed me to see and do things and meet so many wonderful people.

Sorry about the pilfered Camino shoes.......I know how we can get "attached" to these things. Mine smelled so bad, I had to pitch them into a dumpster in Muxia. 🙁🙁🙁🙁

Attachments

• IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks everyone! This became quite a thread! A fitting wake. (Wake, noun: 1.1 a watch or vigil held beside the body of someone who has died, sometimes accompanied by ritual observances. It occurred to me that it's such an old-fashioned word, maybe some people no longer even understand it...)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back