• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My own Madrid guideline

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I have been looking at this route more in earnest as my start date approaches. I do not usually plan very much but have established a guideline for myself this year. I have decided on the Madrid/Frances/Invierno route at this time though that is subject to change. I only have 30 days and this does not have a lot of flexibility. I would like veterans of this route to give me their opinions on my framework route. Something to keep in mind is that I feel 30 km's is an average day. That usually equates to a 7 hour day with a couple of breaks for me.

Madrid - Tres Cantos 23 km's Short day as I start walking upon arrival
Tres Cantos - Mataelpino 35 km's
Mataelpino - Cercedilla 13 km's Like a rest day. Suggestions on things to do here?
Cercedilla - Zamarramala 34 km's
Zamarramala - Santa Maria 28 km's
Santa Maria - Coca 24 km's
Coca - Alcazaren 24 km's
Alcazaren - Cigunuela 38 km's
Cigunuela - Castromonte 24 km's
Castromonte - Cuenca de Campos 35 km's
Cuenca de Campos - Sahagun 40 km's

Everything here is just a guideline and subject, in particular, to Mother Nature. I found this route very difficult to break down into comfortable days. I would be very open to any comments or thoughts on my rough outline.

14 days until departure

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Mataelpino - Cercedilla 13 km's Like a rest day. Suggestions on things to do here?

Take the Cercanías train up to the mountains to make some hiking.

Cigunuela - Castromonte 24 km's
Castromonte - Cuenca de Campos 35 km's
Cuenca de Campos - Sahagun 40 km's

You may consider to make: Ciguñuela-Medina de Rioseco; Medina de Rioseco-Villalón de Campos and Villalón de Campos-Sahagún.

Bet you knew I would jump at the bait. :) But I have to say you've stumped me. No great way to do this in 11 days, IMO, with a late start on Day 1.

If you could get to Colmenar on Day 1 (but that's 35 for day 1, and I bet you won't start walking till 11 am or so, right?), you could then go Day 2 to Cercedilla, which would be about 34. There is really nothing to do in Cercedilla, it's a jumping off point for the Navacerrada mountains. Lots of vacation homes, a couple of good restaurants. I have never gotten total clarity about the Cercedilla - Valsaín option, but if you got to Navacerrada on Day 2, Day 3 could be Navacerrada to Valsaín (off camino), Day 4 could then take you beyond Segovia/Zamarramala.

How did you come up with 40 for Cuenca de Campos to Sahagún? I'm afraid that may be short, but I remember not having good information on distances there. Mundicamino puts Vilallón to Sahagún at 43, but that seems high. Wikiloc tracs show 38. Cuenca de Campos is about 5 km before Vilallón, so total from Cuenca to Sahagún could be anywhere between 43 and 48.

One other thing I would play around with is that there is no need to stop in Sahagún since there are albergues 3 and 10 km after Sahagun. You could stop in Grajal de Campos for instance (that's where Kinky stayed in the soon-to-be-opened albergue in the old jail, though I've not heard if it has totally opened), and then the next day continue on to Burgo Ranero.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bet you knew I would jump at the bait. :) But I have to say you've stumped me. No great way to do this in 11 days, IMO, with a late start on Day 1.

If you could get to Colmenar on Day 1 (but that's 35 for day 1, and I bet you won't start walking till 11 am or so, right?), you could then go Day 2 to Cercedilla, which would be about 34. There is really nothing to do in Cercedilla, it's a jumping off point for the Navacerrada mountains. Lots of vacation homes, a couple of good restaurants. I have never gotten total clarity about the Cercedilla - Valsaín option, but if you got to Navacerrada on Day 2, Day 3 could be Navacerrada to Valsaín (off camino), Day 4 could then take you beyond Segovia/Zamarramala.

How did you come up with 40 for Cuenca de Campos to Sahagún? I'm afraid that may be short, but I remember not having good information on distances there. Mundicamino puts Vilallón to Sahagún at 43, but that seems high. Wikiloc tracs show 38. Cuenca de Campos is about 5 km before Vilallón, so total from Cuenca to Sahagún could be anywhere between 43 and 48.

One other thing I would play around with is that there is no need to stop in Sahagún since there are albergues 3 and 10 km after Sahagun. You could stop in Grajal de Campos for instance (that's where Kinky stayed in the soon-to-be-opened albergue in the old jail, though I've not heard if it has totally opened), and then the next day continue on to Burgo Ranero.

Laurie:

I have been using the Madrid Albergue/hotel and other services guide from the thread for my distances. It actually has the distance at 41 km's.

If I go right from the airport to Plaza de Castilla, Colemar is doable but a long first day right from the plane. That would be about 7 1/2 hours of walking plus breaks. Then Cercedilla the next day??? This would turn the first three days into two.

After walking 40 to Sahagun, I am not sure I will be willing to walk longer unless the place is special.

All this said, bad weather or something unknown could change things.

Joe

Take the Cercanías train up to the mountains to make some hiking.

You may consider to make: Ciguñuela-Medina de Rioseco; Medina de Rioseco-Villalón de Campos and Villalón de Campos-Sahagún.

Castilian:

What about Cigunuela-Valverde de Campos, Valverde de Campos-Villalon de Campos, Villalon de Campos-Sahagun???

Joe

Joe, I think that if you have 30 days total for walking, you will be fine. Look at the post-Madrid stages. You can walk Sahagún in 5 stages of almost perfectly divided 30 km days (Reliegos, Virgen del Camino, Sántibañez, Rabanal, Ponferrada). Then the Invierno in 10, I did that on my first Invierno and it was perfectly do-able, though there were some long days. That's only half of your allotted days.

If it were me, I'd think about doing the Madrid in 12 rather than 11. Medina de Rioseco and Villalón de Campos are both really nice places, in Medina you sleep in a nunnery and in Villalón you are in a wonderful albergue with hospitaler@ from the Valladolid association.

My comment about walking beyond Sahagún was suggesting, not that you continue on after 40 km into Sahagún, but that you could make a shorter day into Sahagún (by staying in Grajal de Campos) and then continue on past Sahagún when you arrived.

A 12 day Madrid will still leave you with 3 extra days.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In Cercedilla you can take the train to Puerto de Navacerrada. In Puerto de Navacerrada there is a chairlift to reach the mountain top of Bola del Mundo. Spectacular views of Sierra de Madrid and both Mesetas.

Pelegrin:

This sounds like a great suggestion if I do a short day here. Thank you.

Joe

Pelegrin:

This sounds like a great suggestion if I do a short day here. Thank you.

Joe

You´re welcome.
This is the time schedule for trains Cercedilla - Puerto Navacerrada - Puerto de Citos:
http://www.crtm.es/datos_lineas/horarios/5C9H1.pdf
This is an old mountain train built in 1923.
The chairlift only works at weekends and holydays and depending on wheather conditions.
In case of no chairlift (Monday--Friday), the ascent to Puerto de Navacerrada by train would be quite similar to your ascent to Puerto de la Fuenfria next day on your Camino. So in this case the main trip atraction would be the train by itself.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Laurie:

Ok, so I am thinking of going straight from Chamartin to the Plaza de Castilla. This will give me the best opportunity to make Colmenar the first day. So, if I make Colmenar on the first day, will I be able to find accommodation w/o having a reservation?

Joe

It appears I can connect to the Madrid by walking directly West from Chamartin station versus going backwards to Plaza de Castilla. Should I decide to take this route where would anyone suggest I get my first sello?

Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Laurie:

Ok, so I am thinking of going straight from Chamartin to the Plaza de Castilla. This will give me the best opportunity to make Colmenar the first day. So, if I make Colmenar on the first day, will I be able to find accommodation w/o having a reservation?

Joe

The options in Colmenar are limited. I stayed in Hostal Chiscón, it was relatively charmless, but fine. I remember a decent breakfast. There are some other options.

Screenshot 2016-03-22 12.32.25.png

What about Cigunuela-Valverde de Campos, Valverde de Campos-Villalon de Campos, Villalon de Campos-Sahagun???

Well, it's an option but IMHO Medina de Rioseco deserves a visit and the best way to make it would be staying overnight there. In fact, I'd say that just the Santiago church in Medina de Rioseco justifies by itself the stay in Medina de Rioseco and there's much more to discover... Medina de Rioseco is also bigger and has more services than Valverde de Campos.

Well, it's an option but IMHO Medina de Rioseco deserves a visit and the best way to make it would be staying overnight there. In fact, I'd say that just the Santiago church in Medina de Rioseco justifies by itself the stay in Medina de Rioseco and there's much more to discover... Medina de Rioseco is also bigger and has more services than Valverde de Campos.

Castillian:

Thank you for that insight. My original outline is just a plan based mostly on comfortable walking distances. While having daily targets, I tend to go with the flow. I will keep Medina de Rioseco as a good option. 7 days to go.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You have chosen a good month to do C. Madrid. Fields are green. Tomorrow I'm going to do Tres Cantos --- Manzanares to find the right way through Colmenar (last time I got lost) and enjoy again the view of Pedriza and Yelmo from the hill. Lunch in Manzanares and back to Madrid:)

Has anyone here actually stayed in Hostal Colmenar?
I stayed in Chiscon last time and have booked it again b/c I couldn't find Chabeli and didn't know about Hostal Colmenar.
I leave in about 20 days for this route.

You have chosen a good month to do C. Madrid. Fields are green. Tomorrow I'm going to do Tres Cantos --- Manzanares to find the right way through Colmenar (last time I got lost) and enjoy again the view of Pedriza and Yelmo from the hill. Lunch in Manzanares and back to Madrid:)
I got kind of lost in Colmenar when I got past the church and to the market. As I remember the Camino goes to the right, then left, right through a street with family houses and again to the right and you're out of the city.
This post contains my GPS track through Colmenar which is very winding ;) but might be of some help:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...camino-de-madrid-june-2014.25354/#post-236841

I don't really remember at what point I lost the arrows but when I look at the map now it's quite easy (don't know if that's "official" Camino though):
- From Plaza de Pueblo go straight up the C/de la Feria, C/del Marques de Santilana, straight across Pl.de la Marina into C/del Tinte, C/del Rio Genil to roundabout Ronda del Oeste. Turn right and left into C/del Pilar de Zaragoza and just continue straight on and out of the city.

Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I find it interesting that everyone says this Camino is well marked. Yet, almost each one of you talk about getting lost.:):confused:

Joe

I find it interesting that everyone says this Camino is well marked. Yet, almost each one of you talk about getting lost.:):confused:

Joe
I wasn't really lost, Joe, it's just getting to know more of the pueblo and its inhabitants ;)

The options in Colmenar are limited. I stayed in Hostal Chiscón, it was relatively charmless, but fine. I remember a decent breakfast. There are some other opt

Laurie:

Which search engine did you use to locate these other accommodation options. I have only been able to find El Chiscon in my searches?

Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi to everyone.
Today I visited Colmenar. I think that the route throughout the town is now very well marked. After ermita de Santa Ana there are lots of yellow arrows towards the church. After the church turn on your left. It takes about 20 minutes crossing Colmenar. It is a big town.
I called a mobilphone number that I saw in the street (626 88 22 37). I spoke with a woman called Chabeli who offers rooms (20 euros). If you are interested, when getting near the church ask someone where is Mercadona (a popular supermarket). In Mercadona phone this number asking for a room. The place is very near in C/Tinte. (A bit complicated but it is what I found) She told me that she had two pilgrims in that moment . I didn´t see the place.
Fields are very green and there is a lot of snow up on the mountains. Now there must be snow on the Camino in both sides of Puerto de la Fuenfria .

Hi to everyone.
Today I visited Colmenar. I think that the route throughout the town is now very well marked. After ermita de Santa Ana there are lots of yellow arrows towards the church. After the church turn on your left. It takes about 20 minutes crossing Colmenar. It is a big town.
I called a mobilphone number that I saw in the street (626 88 22 37). I spoke with a woman called Chabeli who offers rooms (20 euros). If you are interested, when getting near the church ask someone where is Mercadona (a popular supermarket). In Mercadona phone this number asking for a room. The place is very near in C/Tinte. (A bit complicated but it is what I found) She told me that she had two pilgrims in that moment . I didn´t see the place.
Fields are very green and there is a lot of snow up on the mountains. Now there must be snow on the Camino in both sides of Puerto de la Fuenfria .

Pelegrin:

Thank you for this information. I am hoping the long range forecast changes. Currently 50 and rain for Thursday.

Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi to everyone.

Thanks so much Pelegrin. Having first hand information makes things so much easier. Joe, will you have a phone in Spain?

Pelegrin:

Thank you for this information. I am hoping the long range forecast changes. Currently 50 and rain for Thursday.

Joe

Yes that's rifght, rain in Madrid but snow even in Cercedilla for Thursday and Friday. In case of a lot of snow from Cercedilla to Valsain I think it would be very hard to do Cercedilla- Zamarramala in one day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you gentlemen. Looks like I am in for a few wet and cold days. I might bring another shirt and my trax.

Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you gentlemen. Looks like I am in for a few wet and cold days. I might bring another shirt and my trax.

Joe
Well Joe, you know, it's your Camino. But still better than "opening a boutique" (Monty Python quote) ;)

Ultreia!

A quick last look at the forecast through the weekend indicates temps in the single digits above and below 0 for the first few days. That said, not a lot of precipitation. I will probably bring another shirt but leave the snow trax at home.:) I also think I will shoot for Colmenar Viejo on the first day and hopefully find a room at one of the hostels. The fall back would be to stay in Tres Cantos. After that, I am in the hands of the Camino and Mother Nature. Just how I like it.

It will be nice to get away from the politics currently dominating the news cycle here.

Thanks to all who have provided me with feedback on this route.

Ultreya,
Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A quick last look at the forecast through the weekend indicates temps in the single digits above and below 0 for the first few days. That said, not a lot of precipitation. I will probably bring another shirt but leave the snow trax at home.
I am in the hands of the Camino and Mother Nature. Just how I like it.
Ultreya,
Joe
Wishing you well Joe
Sending positive thoughts that this weather will ease by weekend.
Buen Camino
Annie

Am currently in Colmenar Viejo. A long day because I got lost leaving Madrid. Once in Madrid after the route passes by some tennis courts. I lost the arrows but just kept walking. I turned left at the next street and followed signs towards Furnecal (sp.) Cemetery. I picked up the arrows shortly after crossing highway. The second time I was not so lucky. Shortly after leaving Madrid through the tunnel under the highway. I stopped seeing arrows. When I came to a fork I turned left. After wandering around for an hour, I found a way back while not going backwards. I recommend when in doubt go right. The train and Highway are in that direction. Once I hit the train tracks the route basically runs along side the tracks or in between the railway and Highway all the way to Tres Cantos. The Camino does not go through TC. So I just kept walking to Colmenar Viejo. Eight hours and 40K, I am at Hostel Chabeli. 20€. Way marking from TC to Colmenar Viejo is great. Only one questionable place. About half way a marker is lying on the ground. Its arrow is pointing back at you. It belongs on the other side of the road. Just keep walking straight ahead. Time for food and a good night's sleep.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Am currently in Colmenar Viejo. A long day because I got lost leaving Madrid. Once in Madrid after the route go by some tennis courts. I just kept walking turned left and followed signs towards Furnecal (sp.) Cemetery and picked up arrows shortly after crossing highway. Second time I was not so lucky. Shortly after leaving Madrid through the tunnel under the highway. I stopped seeing arrows. When I came to a fork I turned left after wandering around for an hour, I found a way back while not going backwards. I recommend when in doubt go right. The train and Highway are in that direction. Once I hit the train tracks the route basically runs along side the tracks or in between the railway and Highway all the way to Tres Cantos. The Camino does not go through TC. So I just kept walking to Colmenar Viejo. Eight hours and 40K, I am at Hostel Chabeli. 20€. Way marking from TC to Colmenar Viejo is great. Only one questionable place. About half way a marker is lying on the ground. Its arrow is pointing back at you. It belongs on the other side of the road. Just keep walking straight ahead. Time for food and a good night's sleep.

Ultreya,
Joe
I know exactly when you went wrong, Joe. I think I mentioned that in my diary. I went straight and retraced after kilometer or so. Then common sense told me to go right (OK, left on return). But 40k on your first day is awsome!!!

About the marker after TC in that valley I guess - I've made a mistake there and went right up the hill and came to tarmac bici track all the way to Colmenar. Ouch for my feet and blister developed that wouldn't go away for two months... Good for you kept straight on!

Ultreia!

€83,-
I know exactly when you went wrong, Joe. I think I mentioned that in my diary. I went straight and retraced after kilometer or so. Then common sense told me to go right (OK, left on return). But 40k on your first day is awsome!!!

About the marker after TC in that valley I guess - I've made a mistake there and went right up the hill and came to tarmac bici track all the way to Colmenar. Ouch for my feet and blister developed that wouldn't go away for two months... Good for you kept straight on!

Ultreia!

Hi K1,
I still owe you a beer for your advice about that marker. I had your notes with me which enabled me to identify the spot and continue straight on.
Muchas gracias

Last edited:
Kinkyone:

In Mataelpino having a late lunch. Thinking about spending get the night here. If I go on, is the hostel after Cercedilla on the Camino?

Joe

From Colmenar Viejo to Mataelpino is a beautiful walk. Only one questionable place. About half way to Manzanares el real, after you pass under the highway and cross a stone bridge, you will see conflicting arrows one left, one right. I chose right and it seems the correct choice. That said, I am not sure where left went.

Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From Colmenar Viejo to Mataelpino is a beautiful walk. Only one questionable place. About half way to Manzanares el real, after you pass under the highway and cross a stone bridge, you will see conflicting arrows one left, one right. I chose right and it seems the correct choice. That said, I am not sure where left went.

Joe
I remember that spot. Did you get very close to the building after taking right, I mean just a few meters? Or was it like 20 or more?

Yes, the hostel after Cercedilla is few meters on left from the Camino.

I remember that spot. Did you get very close to the building after taking right, I mean just a few meters? Or was it like 20 or more?

Kinkyone :

I have decided to stay in Mataelpino (8€). The albergue is pristine. Still have not seen another Peregrino. This is a beautiful walk today. Manzanares was spectacular located at the base of the mountains with the lake in front. Another stop where the Camino does not go into the town but skirts by it. The walk was very enjoyable today. A little chilly in the morning but sunny all day. Tomorrow the steeper days begin. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy this beautiful albergue.

Joe

Last edited:

I do not recall a structure.

Thanks for information on Hostal.

Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kinkyone :

I have decided to stay in Mataelpino. The albergue is pristine. Still have not seen another Peregrino. This is a beautiful walk today. Manzanares was spectacular located at the base of the mountains with the lake in front. Another stop where the Camino does not go into the town but skirts by it. The walk was very enjoyable today. A little chilly in the morning but sunny all day. Tomorrow the steeper days begin. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy this beautiful albergue.

Joe
Enjoy Mataelpino. As I remember it has everything and from last year also albergue.
You won't have problems finding Albergue Villa Castora after Cercedilla. You might stock up for next day in Dia Supermercado which is to your left a bit before town center. It's a long slog into Segovia or Valsain and it looks like you'll have rain on Sunday: http://www.caminodesantiagotiempo.com/caminomadrid/cercedilla.htm , same as me :eek:

Am currently in Colmenar Viejo. A long day because I got lost leaving Madrid. Once in Madrid after the route go by some tennis courts. I just kept walking turned left and followed signs towards Furnecal (sp.) Cemetery and picked up arrows shortly after crossing highway. Second time I was not so lucky. Shortly after leaving Madrid through the tunnel under the highway. I stopped seeing arrows. When I came to a fork I turned left after wandering around for an hour, I found a way back while not going backwards. I recommend when in doubt go right. The train and Highway are in that direction. Once I hit the train tracks the route basically runs along side the tracks or in between the railway and Highway all the way to Tres Cantos. The Camino does not go through TC. So I just kept walking to Colmenar Viejo. Eight hours and 40K, I am at Hostel Chabeli. 20€. Way marking from TC to Colmenar Viejo is great. Only one questionable place. About half way a marker is lying on the ground. Its arrow is pointing back at you. It belongs on the other side of the road. Just keep walking straight ahead. Time for food and a good night's sleep.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hey Joe, are there special instructions for finding Hostel Chabeli? We have reservations at El Chiscon, but it's rather spendy. I don't remember seeing Chabeli on the Camino Route. Help?

Can someone who speaks Spanish tell me what the charge is for a pilgrim spending the night here, according to this flyer? I'm not sure what the abbreviations stand for.

Attachments

• Folleto del Albergue.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Joe, are there special instructions for finding Hostel Chabeli? We have reservations at El Chiscon, but it's rather spendy. I don't remember seeing Chabeli on the Camino Route. Help?

Annie:

The phone number is listed in a previous note in this thread. Simple room two beds private shower. The Ayuntamento provided me with address.

Hope that helps,
Joe

Mataelpino to Villa Castora (Cercedilla ) 14 km's almost a rest day. Villa Castora 19.8€. Very clean no WiFi. Nice restaurant .5km's down the hill. La Posada.

Joe

I envy you Joe. You have walked today into Navacerrada. A place that holds a special memories for me. I hope that the weather is good enough for you to enjoy it and that you took time to deviate the 100 meters into the main square. I wish I was there now enjoying the picatostas at Restaurante Felix de Segoviano as I used to every day after my morning stroll around the embalse!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just to add a note on Villa Castora. There is a patio off the room. There was activity until 2:00 am with the children running around and no WiFi. The room is clean and the water hot.

Cercedilla to Segovia. A seven hour slog. This might be one of my toughest days ever on the Camino. About 2 km's from the Puerto there was snow about 6 inches. Very slippery climb up. Only to be met by an average 12 inches of snow for the next two hours with 2 foot drifts. I needed snow shoes. Couple of times I sank up to my knees. It then started to snow which changed to sleet. This tops my San Salvador. I have to stop walking so early in the year.

Any one thinking about this route soon, I hope you like snow. Snow shoes would have been helpful.

Stopped in first bar I saw to eat and he recommended Hostal Christina. Seems ok (26€) , I was to tired to look for albergue.

Ultreya
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Joe,
Stay warm, stay dry and most importantly, stay safe! Do you have gaiters? If not short plastic bags over your socks work well.
Margaret Meredith

Cercedilla to Segovia. A seven hour slog. This might be one of my toughest days ever on the Camino. About 2 km's from the Puerto there was snow about 6 inches. Very slippery climb up. Only to be met by an average 12 inches of snow for the next two hours with 2 foot drifts. I needed snow shoes. Couple of times I sank up to my knees. It then started to snow which changed to sleet. This tops my San Salvador. I have to stop walking so early in the year.

Any one thinking about this route soon, I hope you like snow. Snow shoes would have been helpful.

Stopped in first bar I saw to eat and he recommended Hostal Christina. Seems ok (26€) , I was to tired to look for albergue.

Ultreya
Joe

Well, I was wrong, I thought your Salvador experience was tougher, but this description makes clear it was not!

If I remember correctly, your April walking is done to allow you to avoid having to choose between your two big loves -- camino and golf. ;) I think what you need to do is move south for your caminos. But from here on in, Joe, the snow should be behind you. Thanks for posting these updates, they are food for the camino-starved souls here on the forum. Buen camino, Laurie

Joe,
Stay warm, stay dry and most importantly, stay safe! Do you have gaiters? If not short plastic bags over your socks work well.
Margaret Meredith

Margaret :

Thanks for your good wishes. What I really needed was snow shoes.:)

Joe

€60,-

Ultreya
Joe

Hang in there, Joe! Everyone coming after you will be looking to you for inspiration: "If Joe managed this in 12 inches of snow, then surely I can manage in the sun!" :)

Ultreya
Joe

Hola Joe,
I 'm glad you had finished well this very tough stage. It has been a rainy morning in Madrid and I know very well that route. I hope the fog has not been very thick and you have found previous steps on the snow to make your walk easier.

It
Hola Joe,
I 'm glad you had finished well this very tough stage. It has been a rainy morning in Madrid and I know very well that route. I hope the fog has not been very thick and you have found previous steps on the snow to make your walk easier.

It Is raining here in Segovia too.

We'll be walking from Valdestillas on Friday around lunchtime, and with your speed, I'm sure you'll pass us soon.

If you pass three vikings with backpacks (red, grey and turquoise), stop and say hello!

HeidL,
Since jpflavin1 last posted on this thread April 3, 2016; he probably won't be passing you this year!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.