• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Own Pace: A Story of Strength and Adversity on the Camino de Santiago

Bryan Steward

Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018
Hey everyone! I recently published my book My Own Pace about my journey walking the Camino with the added challenge of having the neuromuscular disease called Becker muscular dystrophy. Be sure to check it out! It's available on Amazon now:

From the back of the book:

At age 24, Bryan Steward embarked on a 500-mile pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago in northern Spain, but unlike so many other pilgrims, he lives with a progressive neuromuscular disease called Becker muscular dystrophy.

After struggling to walk up the steep road to check into the Pilgrim’s Office the night before beginning his trek, the magnitude of the decision to hike the Camino set in. Beginning with the climb over the Pyrenees Mountains, Bryan’s journey is a nearly endless series of challenges. From hundreds of falls, to crawling up rocky hills, and encounters with wild dogs, bed bugs, and debilitating food poisoning, he learns to accept help from complete strangers and face his vulnerabilities.

My Own Pace will leave you with laughter, tears, and anticipation at the turn of every page. As you relive every step, scrape, bruise, and moment of triumph in Bryan’s incredible journey, you will discover what it means to be strong and rethink all that is possible in life.

---

"What makes My Own Pace different to the many books on the Camino is the courage that Bryan has to find in overcoming his daily challenges of walking with muscular dystrophy. His determination is an inspiration to others but we begin to see that everyone is differently abled (disabled) on some level whether that be physical, emotional, psychological, or spiritual. To read this is to realize that everyone can walk the Camino—you just need to find your own pace . . . and purpose." John Brierley, author of Camino Guides

"[My Own Pace] is a magic account of a magical journey. Bryan sums up perfectly the atmosphere, spirit, and compassion of the ancient pilgrimage of el Camino de Santiago. It's not just a book for pilgrims, it's a book for all of us who need to know how to overcome our challenges, how to be a better person, and how we can take that better 'you' home to those you love." Dan Mullins, host of My Camino-The Podcast

"Bryan's story of walking the Camino de Santiago is familiar to me as a pilgrim, yet offers a completely new perspective that made me appreciate more richly his Camino experience as well as my own. His empowering tale of overcoming hardship makes this a must-read for those facing their own obstacles. Buen Camino!" Kevin Donahue, host of Sacred Steps Podcast

"What I discover most, as I enjoy this wonderful book, is how many lives Bryan changed because of his "own pace." So, I must warn you, intrepid traveler, beware if you begin this adventure because it is very possible that if you dare to walk with Bryan, you will end up, at the very least, getting to know yourself better, and dare I say it . . . it is very possible that this story will change your heart as it has changed mine." Jose Mari Ardanaz, founder of El Camino People

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Bravo @Bryan Steward For your courage and tenacity in walking The Way - and in writing your book about your experience. Some people say we all have a book inside of us - and maybe that's true - but only a few have the tenacity to write it and the courage to put it out there for all to see. I look forward to reading your story 🙏

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I read Bryan's book this past weekend. It is a must read for those on this forum as well as those that have never heard of El Camino. It is filled with messages of hope, perseverance and the strength of relationships. You will cry tears of joy (and laughter on occasion). Buen Camino my friend!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Spoiler alert:
My only concern with the book is that pilgrims may get the idea that it is OK to leave without telling the hospitalera about their bed bugs and that it is ok to just go on from place to place without getting help to prevent them from being spread to the next places on the Camino.

Please don't do that! Talk to the hospitalera and let them help you!

Just finished your book, Bryan. You really laid it all there, the good, the bad and the ugly. Grit is the quality I think most defines what it takes to do the Camino and you definitely have it. It was a pleasure to read.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey everyone! I recently published my book My Own Pace about my journey walking the Camino with the added challenge of having the neuromuscular disease called Becker muscular dystrophy. Be sure to check it out! It's available on Amazon now:

At age 24, Bryan Steward embarked on a 500-mile pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago in northern Spain, but unlike so many other pilgrims, he lives with a progressive neuromuscular disease called Becker muscular dystrophy.

After struggling to walk up the steep road to check into the Pilgrim’s Office the night before beginning his trek, the magnitude of the decision to hike the Camino set in. Beginning with the climb over the Pyrenees Mountains, Bryan’s journey is a nearly endless series of challenges. From hundreds of falls, to crawling up rocky hills, and encounters with wild dogs, bed bugs, and debilitating food poisoning, he learns to accept help from complete strangers and face his vulnerabilities.

My Own Pace will leave you with laughter, tears, and anticipation at the turn of every page. As you relive every step, scrape, bruise, and moment of triumph in Bryan’s incredible journey, you will discover what it means to be strong and rethink all that is possible in life.

---

"What makes My Own Pace different to the many books on the Camino is the courage that Bryan has to find in overcoming his daily challenges of walking with muscular dystrophy. His determination is an inspiration to others but we begin to see that everyone is differently abled (disabled) on some level whether that be physical, emotional, psychological, or spiritual. To read this is to realize that everyone can walk the Camino—you just need to find your own pace . . . and purpose." John Brierley, author of Camino Guides

"[My Own Pace] is a magic account of a magical journey. Bryan sums up perfectly the atmosphere, spirit, and compassion of the ancient pilgrimage of el Camino de Santiago. It's not just a book for pilgrims, it's a book for all of us who need to know how to overcome our challenges, how to be a better person, and how we can take that better 'you' home to those you love." Dan Mullins, host of My Camino-The Podcast

"Bryan's story of walking the Camino de Santiago is familiar to me as a pilgrim, yet offers a completely new perspective that made me appreciate more richly his Camino experience as well as my own. His empowering tale of overcoming hardship makes this a must-read for those facing their own obstacles. Buen Camino!" Kevin Donahue, host of Sacred Steps Podcast

"What I discover most, as I enjoy this wonderful book, is how many lives Bryan changed because of his "own pace." So, I must warn you, intrepid traveler, beware if you begin this adventure because it is very possible that if you dare to walk with Bryan, you will end up, at the very least, getting to know yourself better, and dare I say it . . . it is very possible that this story will change your heart as it has changed mine." Jose Mari Ardanaz, founder of El Camino People
Bought it just now. I was wanting a Camino book to give me the feeling until I can hopefully walk this year.

I'm just finishing the book on my Kindle. Awesome, I rate it right there with "I'll Push You." Both books just blew me away. Congratulations @Bryan Steward for completing the Frances and Portuguese, and on the relationships created!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

---

Bryan I want to thank you for writing your wonderful book on you experience on the Camino and in life. I just finished you book and couldn't put it down. I appreciate your honesty throughout the book. I want to do the Camino but like you have some very difficult physical challenges. Your book has encouraged me to keep going and keep discovering the best I can whether on the Camino or otherwise. I have learned a lot from you. Thank you very much

Thanks Bryan. Just ordered it along with one other. Looking forward to it.

I read it. I decided to walk the Way in August 2021. Trip was planned for May 2022. September, 2021, tripped over a tree root and badly sprained left ankle and hurt my back, Ankle healed then P.T. for the back, due to slipped disc. Five months to get back in shape, then unknown pain began in stomach. Turned out to be many cysts (benign, thankfully!), but requires full hysterectomy. Not till April needed recovery time so postpone trip till October 1, this year. Two weeks ago hiked on a very rocky trail and tripped, landed on both knees and my hands. Am very bruised but thankfully didn’t break anything. I am beginning to feel this isn’t meant to me, or people are telling me that. I want to go so bad, I have dreamed of this for 30 years. Need some encouragement. Lots of tears today.

Attachments

• D5EF0A03-0F2A-43B6-B1A3-29031A39D99E.jpeg
    D5EF0A03-0F2A-43B6-B1A3-29031A39D99E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I read it. I decided to walk the Way in August 2021. Trip was planned for May 2022. September, 2021, tripped over a tree root and badly sprained left ankle and hurt my back, Ankle healed then P.T. for the back, due to slipped disc. Five months to get back in shape, then unknown pain began in stomach. Turned out to be many cysts (benign, thankfully!), but requires full hysterectomy. Not till April needed recovery time so postpone trip till October 1, this year. Two weeks ago hiked on a very rocky trail and tripped, landed on both knees and my hands. Am very bruised but thankfully didn’t break anything. I am beginning to feel this isn’t meant to me, or people are telling me that. I want to go so bad, I have dreamed of this for 30 years. Need some encouragement. Lots of tears today.
PS LOVED THE BOOK BRYAN!

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.