• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My own photos and don't remember where

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
When I walked the CF in 2015 my friend and I took a rest day in ????? In the town of_____________ please fill in the blank. On Saturday morning I was having a coffee in the Plaza Mayor of this village and saw a couple of small trucks pull up and some barbecue equipment unloaded and two gutted cows taken off the trucks. I asked the bar owner and she told me that there would be a barbecue that night. She told if I wanted to come to buy a ticket. I bought two for me and my friend. They cost 5 Euros.All day long the two cows were slowly cooked on the barbecues. In the early afternoon the whole plaza was set up with chairs and tables. Starting around seven people started to come into the square. For your $5 Euros you got a plate piled high with meat that was sliced right in front of you after we all waited in a long line to get our food. You also got a glass of wine and some bread. The meat was perfect. No salt or pepper or anything was needed. The meat cut like butter. I can't say I ever had a better meal for the price. If you wanted a second go you could buy a ticket for a second plate but I believe only after it was determined that everyone was able to get their first plate.
Where was this town??? I am sure we were not the only pilgrims to experience this treat because this was not a one off event.I also met one of my best pilgrim friends that night. Memorable.
Please help if you can fill in the blank!!!
You guys know the exact location of an arrow that was painted on a wall that looks like about 47,000 yellow arrows painted on 47,000 walls across every camino. You must know this too!!!! :):):)
I also think there was a Jai alai or handball court near the town center. We went to watch some matches there. Is that the same town????

Attachments

• IMG_2476.JPG
    IMG_2476.JPG
    648.3 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    753.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2479.JPG
    IMG_2479.JPG
    783 KB · Views: 203
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, if you had only taken pictures of things other than meat grilling, we would be more likely to be able to help. 🤣

I think that the problem is that this very thing happens in numerous pueblos up and down the camino, maybe in connection with a local fiesta, but sometimes just because it’s a fun thing to do. Kind of like the pulpo pop-ups you occasionally run into later on in Galicia.

If there was a Jai Alai/handball court, you’re likely talking about a place in the País Vasco or Navarra. But that doesn’t narrow it down much, sorry.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, if you had only taken pictures of things other than meat grilling, we would be more likely to be able to help. 🤣

I think that the problem is that this very thing happens in numerous pueblos up and down the camino, maybe in connection with a local fiesta, but sometimes just because it’s a fun thing to do. Kind of like the pulpo pop-ups you occasionally run into later on in Galicia.

If there was a Jai Alai/handball court, you’re likely talking about a place in the País Vasco or Navarra. But that doesn’t narrow it down much, sorry.
All I could think of was that cooking cow!!! I have a feeling you are correct about the location as it was definitely in the "body" section of the camino :)
@lt56ny ..like @peregrina2000 says it is most likely a local fiesta. Do you remember the week or even day? That might narrow down our search...

I may be wrong as my Spanish is not great. I would call it beginning conversational. The impression I got was that this was not a festival but an ongoing event. I do not know weekly or monthly or what. It was definitely a Saturday and it was very early in October. After that well that's all I have except that if I remember correctly the town square was on the left as you entered the town and there were 3 or 4 restaurants attached to a building. The square was open on 3 sides.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How many days had you been walking before that Saturday? Was there any major monument ie. a town hall or church also on the square? What faced the square?

Last edited:
All I could think of was that cooking cow!!! I have a feeling you are correct about the location as it was definitely in the "body" section of the camino :)

I may be wrong as my Spanish is not great. I would call it beginning conversational. The impression I got was that this was not a festival but an ongoing event. I do not know weekly or monthly or what. It was definitely a Saturday and it was very early in October. After that well that's all I have except that if I remember correctly the town square was on the left as you entered the town and there were 3 or 4 restaurants attached to a building. The square was open on 3 sides.

Wild guess : Ayegui , just after Estella.
The two has an indoor fronton but most likely also an open air one.
Some restaurants too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Only a thought. Could it have been Obanos? You have Plaza de Fueros, in front of Obanos Church, grassy areas either side and a Jai Alai/ Fronton to the left. Have a look at Google Earth, it might jog a memory.

Thought that too , but I only remember one restaurant in 2011.
Seems there are more now.

Good idea @Chenahusky !

Your pictures were taken on 3rd October 2015...perhaps you already knew that as you were aware that the day was Saturday?
"Geolocation" does not show on the data for the pictures - was GPS turned off?
So far, not much progress...

Now (disclaimer) I am not an iPhone user but this might be worth a try if you still have the iPhone.

This method of tracking a phone seems to depend on more than just GPS but clearly various tabs have to be "ON" rather than "OFF" so it might not work for you...even if you still possess the phone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Where/what are your photos before 2476 and after 2479? What season were you walking? Was the ball court open or was it roofed? A ball court is called a fronton in Spanish. You could search for towns with such a facility using Google.
I think thanks to your help it was somewhere near Belardo. Thanks for that but I haven't been able to pin it down. I just had such an original idea that of course my rocket scientist brain didn't think of before. I just sent out Facebook messages to my Pilgrim friends I walked with and met that night. Maybe one of them will know!
2016 Portas, Spain on the Camino Portugues Central. As others have said this is a typical event in many towns.
I hoped you stayed to eat and it was as good as mine!.

Your pictures were taken on 3rd October 2015...perhaps you already knew that as you were aware that the day was Saturday?
"Geolocation" does not show on the data for the pictures - was GPS turned off?
So far, not much progress...

Now (disclaimer) I am not an iPhone user but this might be worth a try if you still have the iPhone.

This method of tracking a phone seems to depend on more than just GPS but clearly various tabs have to be "ON" rather than "OFF" so it might not work for you...even if you still possess the phone.
Thanks but I have that last step off. There is more than enough tracking going on but it would have been nice now for sure haha.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Only a thought. Could it have been Obanos? You have Plaza de Fueros, in front of Obanos Church, grassy areas either side and a Jai Alai/ Fronton to the left. Have a look at Google Earth, it might jog a memory.
Thanks I checked and that wasn't it I dont think.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Wild guess : Ayegui , just after Estella.
The two has an indoor fronton but most likely also an open air one.
Some restaurants too.

That ain't the place either! uggg

How many days had you been walking before that Saturday? Was there any major monument ie. a town hall or church also on the square? What faced the square?
It was almost certainly after Logrono and Burgos or immediately after Burgos. Not yet hard core Meseta. I don't think haha

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After Burgos but not yet hardcore Meseta. It could be Rabe de la Calzadas.
Was there a fountain on the Plaza Mayor ?

Maybe check the photo's on this link to see whether it looks familiar.

Alternatively Tardajos is also possible. Somehow fits more with your description of a square on the left when you enter town, that was open on three sides. If I remember well Tardajos has a kind of square / green little park on the left when you enter it, and I remember some bars / restaurants facing this space.

Last edited:
After Burgos but not yet hardcore Meseta. It could be Rabe de la Calzadas.
Was there a fountain on the Plaza Mayor ?

Maybe check the photo's on this link to see whether it looks familiar.

Alternatively Tardajos is also possible. Somehow fits more with your description of a square on the left when you enter town, that was open on three sides. If I remember well Tardajos has a kind of square / green little park on the left when you enter it, and I remember some bars / restaurants facing this space.

Plus Tardajos has a fiesta beginning of October!

Athough a potatoe festival! But I guess they would serve meat too. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last edited:
Ok. Final guess. Navarrete.

Possibly. It ticks some boxes.

- It has a fronton (Fronton Municipal, not included in the search engine of frontons that was mentioned before) . I can not locate where it is - but my guess it is next to the Polideportivo Municipal (which is not far from the centre).
- The OP mentions a pelota or handball court. This could be at the Polideportivo Municipal.
- Navarrete has a local handball team that - as far as I understand - plays at the Polideportivo. They play in green/black shirts. This may ring a bell as the OP mentioned to see some matches.
- Navarrette has a town square on the left of the camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One fronton is
Polideportivo Municipal de Fuenmayor Frontón
Ctra. de Navarrete, 5, 26360 Fuenmayor, La Rioja, Spain

Another is
Calle de Entrena, 21, 26370 Navarrete, La Rioja, Spain

Possibly. It ticks some boxes.

- It has a fronton (Fronton Municipal, not included in the search engine of frontons that was mentioned before) . I can not locate where it is - but my guess it is next to the Polideportivo Municipal (which is not far from the centre).
- The OP mentions a pelota or handball court. This could be at the Polideportivo Municipal.
- Navarrete has a local handball team that - as far as I understand - plays at the Polideportivo. They play in green/black shirts. This may ring a bell as the OP mentioned to see some matches.
- Navarrette has a town square on the left of the camino.

But the fiestas patronales San Miguel in Navarrete are normally end of September? But maybe when closer to a weekend they continue?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another is

Which is the same adress as the Polideportivo Municipal. At least we have established the exact location of the fronton !

Still I have some doubts whether we are looking in the right place. The picture of the roasted pigs clearly shows a grass lawn in the background. I am not sure if there is one in the centre of Navarrete (the Plaza Mayor has trees, but grass I do not remember)

Which is the same adress as the Polideportivo Municipal. At least we have established the exact location of the fronton !

Still I have some doubts whether we are looking in the right place. The picture of the roasted pigs clearly shows a grass lawn in the background. I am not sure if there is one in the centre of Navarrete (the Plaza Mayor has trees, but grass I do not remember)

Well google maps shows a green lawn next to the Polideportivo...? 850 metres walking from the Plaza Mayor.

Please check these 2 sites

1.One fronton is
Polideportivo Municipal de Fuenmayor Frontón
Ctra. de Navarrete, 5, 26360 Fuenmayor, La Rioja, Spain

2.Another is

The second site has grass

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well google maps shows a green lawn next to the Polideportivo...? 850 metres walking from the Plaza Mayor.

I know. I actually think this lawn is the football pitch - but the OP's photo is clearly not off a football pitch.
And there is no bar in sight near the Polideportivo (apart from Bar Piscinas -some sports bar), while the OP says he was sitting in a bar at Playa Mayor when the pig arrived (also where the pig was eaten).

Hmm. I have a very strong feeling I have seen this green lawn shown on the OP's photo before. In Viana, when leaving the town centre.:confused:

Don't you have a stamp in your credential? First or second weekend in October 2015?
I do but I am not sure where it is. I only have my first Compostela framed and I keep my first passport in my dresser. The others are everywhere!

I have just been contacted by my 2 friends from that eventful night
THEY BOTH SAY NAJERA NAJERA NAJERA!!!!
Peter is 100% sure. He said check out google images. I did and as soon as I saw this photo it all came back to me. Sorry if I sent everyone off on a wild chase.
Gosh ....what you can find on the internet...

As soon as I got the word it was Najera I checked your Fronton website and it was this Fronton

Thanks to everyone for all your help it was fun working with you all!!

Attachments

• img_0932.jpg
    img_0932.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 92
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@lt56ny : yeah! Happy dance.

Glad you found it. Najera is a wonderful town to spend an extra day.

Hope you were able to visit the Monasterio?

Congratulations. I think that we might have got it, in a little while. Enlarging your third picture there was what looks like a bridge abutment in the top left corner. I had started going through Google Earth , to find likely suspects. I envisage the next one to be a Bocadillo or a Tortilla on a plate, with the clue that it is in Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Enlarging your third picture there was what looks like a bridge abutment in the top left corner
Well spotted. I noticed it but thought it was the corner of a Romanesque church. I can see the river now, too ☺️.

From my memories of Najera, I still can’t figure out how one can sit on a plaza mayor and see this grill party, though.:cool:

Last edited:
Najera, looking back from the bridge towards where the BBQ would have been set up I think. The small concrete(?) post in the background of picture 3 can be seen just above the bridge railing in the StreetView image.

Now I had this bacon bocadillo somewhere on the Iberian Peninsula back in 2007....

Bocadillo_Bacon.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The last picture posted suggests the OP was not actually sitting at a plaza mayor, but at the Calle Descampado.
The "Waste Ground" or "Open Space" Street ☺️. A promenade next to the river. I had noticed how very flat the grassy area on the photos was but the comment about a plaza mayor was hardly conducive to considering a river border. No old town or village church, and their plaza mayor, were built directly next to a river. 🤓

AND: a blog, this time from 2012, about the grilled meat at the Ferias de San Miguel in Najera. The festival takes place on a weekend close to the 29th of September, in some years at the end of September and in other years at the beginning of October. The 29th is the feast day of the archangel Michael. This date is known in English as Michaelmas.

The photos in the blog show the same location in Najera, the same large grill, as in earlier photos in this thread. http://najera-javimanzanares.blogspot.com/2012/10/la-ternera-asada-en-las-ferias-de-san.html

Ternera asada.jpg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yet another year. The grilled veal event is organised by restaurants and bars on the promenade in the context of the Saint Michael festival in Najera. As someone had already mentioned, this kind of event is not unusual in Spain. I remember something similar in the outskirts of Logroño during their main festival. That event had been organised by the "barrio", ie by one of the suburbs of Logroño.

PS: I now think that it was veal/calf (ternera) and not cow (vaca). :cool:

Organisers.jpg

Last edited:
Well spotted. I noticed it but thought it was the corner of a Romanesque church. I can see the river now, too ☺️.

From my memories of Najera, I still can’t figure out how one can sit on a plaza mayor and see this grill party, though.:cool:
Najera, looking back from the bridge towards where the BBQ would have been set up I think. The small concrete(?) post in the background of picture 3 can be seen just above the bridge railing in the StreetView image.

Now I had this bacon bocadillo somewhere on the Iberian Peninsula back in 2007....

View attachment 96142
I think that I have narrowed it down. There is a small glint of stainless steel in the top right hand corner. So all we have to do is find a Spanish cafe/bar that has white plates, stainless steel and Bocadillos and we have it cracked.

You know, I just want to say that this is a very heartwarming thread. Look at all the people who went out of their way to help @lt56ny identify a town, based on three pictures of meat on a grill and a few vague memories.

Thanks, @ltny for giving us the opportunity to show off our better side!
It has been equally as fun and made me feel like I was walking with all of you on our Camino. I hope and pray I meet some of these wonderful souls one day.
@lt56ny : yeah! Happy dance.

Glad you found it. Najera is a wonderful town to spend an extra day.

Hope you were able to visit the Monasterio?
Yes we did. Even though my adopted Camino son Max (I met him and his mom on an earlier camino) found a few pals and went to a bar until about 5AM or so. I had a great night's sleep. Can't say the same for Max!
Yet another year. The grilled veal event is organised by restaurants and bars on the promenade in the context of the Saint Michael festival in Najera. As someone had already mentioned, this kind of event is not unusual in Spain. I remember something similar in the outskirts of Logroño during their main festival. That event had been organised by the "barrio", ie by one of the suburbs of Logroño.

PS: I now think that it was veal/calf (ternera) and not cow (vaca). :cool:

View attachment 96154
Yes I bought my tickets in the bar that I was having my breakfast.
AND: a blog, this time from 2012, about the grilled meat at the Ferias de San Miguel in Najera. The festival takes place on a weekend close to the 29th of September, in some years at the end of September and in other years at the beginning of October. The 29th is the feast day of the archangel Michael. This date is known in English as Michaelmas.

The photos in the blog show the same location in Najera, the same large grill, as in earlier photos in this thread. http://najera-javimanzanares.blogspot.com/2012/10/la-ternera-asada-en-las-ferias-de-san.html

View attachment 96153
It was a fun time to be had by all!!!! That is about the exact time frame I would have been there. In 2015 we walked from Le Puy. The funny thing was when we got to SJPP it was pouring rain and I mean hard, hard rain. My friend and I decided to sleep an extra day and the next morning was awesome. We both realized that we had left the same day 2 years earlier on September 21, 2013. I met my friend Max and his mom in Puenta La Reina at the restaurant that was part of the Hostel/Hotel Jakue. Max and his mom became famous on that camino. He carried a 25 kilo pack because the camino hero, Elizabeth has had 4 kidney transplants and was walking the Camino. She is absolutely the most awesome woman in the world. I am so blessed to know them. She told me at the end of the Camino that Max never knew his father and never had a father figure in his life before we met. Max is married now living in Australia and has a little boy. My Camino grandson!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

€83,-
When I walked the CF in 2015 my friend and I took a rest day in ????? In the town of_____________ please fill in the blank. On Saturday morning I was having a coffee in the Plaza Mayor of this village and saw a couple of small trucks pull up and some barbecue equipment unloaded and two gutted cows taken off the trucks. I asked the bar owner and she told me that there would be a barbecue that night. She told if I wanted to come to buy a ticket. I bought two for me and my friend. They cost 5 Euros.All day long the two cows were slowly cooked on the barbecues. In the early afternoon the whole plaza was set up with chairs and tables. Starting around seven people started to come into the square. For your $5 Euros you got a plate piled high with meat that was sliced right in front of you after we all waited in a long line to get our food. You also got a glass of wine and some bread. The meat was perfect. No salt or pepper or anything was needed. The meat cut like butter. I can't say I ever had a better meal for the price. If you wanted a second go you could buy a ticket for a second plate but I believe only after it was determined that everyone was able to get their first plate.
Where was this town??? I am sure we were not the only pilgrims to experience this treat because this was not a one off event.I also met one of my best pilgrim friends that night. Memorable.
You guys know the exact location of an arrow that was painted on a wall that looks like about 47,000 yellow arrows painted on 47,000 walls across every camino. You must know this too!!!! :):):)
I also think there was a Jai alai or handball court near the town center. We went to watch some matches there. Is that the same town????

NAJERA: Bar name gives it away

Najera.JPG
Najera, here is a google street view shot.

€149,-
Depending on the camera type (a phone or a camera) the EXIF information stored with each photo can be useful. Iphones for example (and other devices with inbuilt GPS locators) store the lat/lon of the photo position in the EXIF data, which is viewable with the better photo viewing apps (not the standard photo app in IOS). Sometimes the EXIF data is still in the photo file after it is uploaded to sites like Flickr. That depends on what editing was done before it was uploaded - some editing removes the relevant details. So especially for your own photos, look at the EXIF data and look for latitude and longitude.
Andrew

Depending on the camera type (a phone or a camera) the EXIF information stored with each photo can be useful.
An online tool to view EXIF data is at http://www.verexif.com/en/

Sometimes the EXIF data is still in the photo file after it is uploaded to sites like Flickr. That depends on what editing was done before it was uploaded - some editing removes the relevant details.
On this forum I saw a photograph of Pamplona and I used the tool above to see where in Pamplona it was taken. I saw a location in California instead. A PM notified the photographer and we discovered that a photo editing tool he used inserted the coordinates of his home onto the EXIF data. Be careful out there.

Check your pilgrim passport, you should have a couple of sellos in the same village or no sello for one day. Any way i guess it's Obanos.

€149,-
Depending on the camera type (a phone or a camera) the EXIF information stored with each photo can be useful. Iphones for example (and other devices with inbuilt GPS locators) store the lat/lon of the photo position in the EXIF data, which is viewable with the better photo viewing apps (not the standard photo app in IOS). Sometimes the EXIF data is still in the photo file after it is uploaded to sites like Flickr. That depends on what editing was done before it was uploaded - some editing removes the relevant details. So especially for your own photos, look at the EXIF data and look for latitude and longitude.
Andrew
That advice sounds very impressive! But I have no idea what you are talking about.
But I bet my dear friend Tom @tomnorth who is a big camera guy knows what you are talking about. I think I will call him for a translation. I have an iPhone 7. I still can find a way to screw up just about every photo I take. I amaze friends and family alike.

Andrew

That advice sounds very impressive! But I have no idea what you are talking about.
But I bet my dear friend Tom @tomnorth who is a big camera guy knows what you are talking about. I think I will call him for a translation. I have an iPhone 7. I still can find a way to screw up just about every photo I take. I amaze friends and family alike.
Here is a screenshot that shows an example of EXIF data. A jpeg file, in addition to storing data that can be used to display an image, stores data about how the image was created (such as shutter speed, lens aperture, ISO, make and model of the camera). Additionally, if it can, it records the date and time the photo was taken. If your device can get a GPS position that can be recorded as well (but due to privacy issues you may have to set a flag to allow that). Photo editing tools can also ask you for comments to be inserted into the EXIF data, such as names and other descriptions. All this data can be retrieved and displayed in various ways by various programs.

I selected a photo from my last camino and used the Google Photos app to display it on my smartphone. I then clicked on the triple dot gizmo and underneath the photo the information shown in the screenshot was shown. Going from the top down you see the date and time the photo was taken, the photo's description (here there was none so the app allows me to add one if I want), next is a block of location information where the GPS coordinates are listed at the bottom. The last section shows other details about the image. I'll discuss that before going back to the location section.

There is an icon showing a representation of mountains and that icon stands for picture information. To the right is the filename on my phone where the image is stored (not EXIF data but the app knows this and figures you should too). Then I'm told how many pixels make up the image, the way these pixels are distributed (width X height) and how many bytes of storage the image file uses.

Next is a shutter icon that tells us that the next pieces of information tell us about the device that took the picture. First it says the model of the phone I used and then that is followed by information mainly of interest to photographers and so I won't bother explaining them other than the shutter speed. In this case it shows that the image was caught between one two-thousandth and one three-thousandth of a second.

Now, back to the location section. The Google Photos app is getting really fancy here. I could have just printed the GPS coordinates but it looked them up and said what town I was in. It also decided to throw up a map of the place and put in a pointer to the location of where the photo was taken. It made the bubble large enough that it could hold a miniature of the photo (because, why not?). Further, it added a link to Google Maps allowing you to explore around the location with satellite and street views.

Other tools will, of course, display the EXIF data other ways.

Screenshot_20210329-072201-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a screenshot that shows an example of EXIF data. A jpeg file, in addition to storing data that can be used to display an image, stores data about how the image was created (such as shutter speed, lens aperture, ISO, make and model of the camera). Additionally, if it can, it records the date and time the photo was taken. If your device can get a GPS position that can be recorded as well (but due to privacy issues you may have to set a flag to allow that). Photo editing tools can also ask you for comments to be inserted into the EXIF data, such as names and other descriptions. All this data can be retrieved and displayed in various ways by various programs.

I selected a photo from my last camino and used the Google Photos app to display it on my smartphone. I then clicked on the triple dot gizmo and underneath the photo the information shown in the screenshot was shown. Going from the top down you see the date and time the photo was taken, the photo's description (here there was none so the app allows me to add one if I want), next is a block of location information where the GPS coordinates are listed at the bottom. The last section shows other details about the image. I'll discuss that before going back to the location section.

There is an icon showing a representation of mountains and that icon stands for picture information. To the right is the filename on my phone where the image is stored and then I'm told how many pixels make up the image, the way these pixels are distributed (width X height) and how many bytes of storage the image file uses.

Next is a shutter icon that tells us that the next pieces of information tell us about the device that took the picture. First it says the model of the phone I used and then that is followed by information mainly of interest to photographers and so I won't bother explaining them other than the shutter speed. In this case it shows that the image was caught between one two-thousandth and one three-thousandth of a second.

Now, back to the location section. The Google Photos app is getting really fancy here. I could have just printed the GPS coordinates but it looked them up and said what town I was in. It also decided to throw up a map of the place and put in a pointer to the location of where the photo was taken. It made the bubble large enough that it could hold a miniature of the photo (because, why not?). Further, it added a link to Google Maps allowing you to explore around the location with satellite and street views.

Other tools will, of course, display the EXIF data other ways.

View attachment 96383
Very impressive Ric and that is why you are a YouTube influencer and video journalist and all around great guy! We should walk the VDLP together and you can take all the photos and just send them to me on WhatsApp!!!!! Gracias amigo.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back