• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Pack Is Too Heavy: Woe Is Me!

Ok, I have taken the bare minimum that I think I can live with for 6 weeks and my pack is too heavy. I don't even want to admit to how heavy it is. I really, really don't want to travel across the world and not have everything I need. I have taken out things that I don't think are important but really don't think I have that much stuff. It sure adds up, doesn't it! You will know me when you see me from my monster pack!!!!! I know I'm going to regret it but I just can't seem to get it lighter. My damn cosmetic 3 liter bag weighs 3 pounds itself. If I could just reduce it by 5 lbs, I would be happy....I know I'm going to get a ration, but I probably need it.
Don't stress out for goodness sakes. Look at what you want to take then take out what you really know you don't need. This forum is great but geesh sometimes people go overboard on their comments. Relax and enjoy the process of preparing to go. This is meant to be a fun and awesome experience for you. You aren't going to prison or a desert island. Be kind to yourself and look inward - all your answers are there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I take anti-perspirant deodorant. It doubles as anti-chaffing cream - exactly the same active ingredient (aluminium chlorohydrate).

DH uses body glide that is plant based, non petroleum based and no silicone (which are all important to him).
It works as an anti-chaffing stick. But I don't think it would work as a deodorant. :(

I have Striderm, similar to Body Glide. Am debating whether to take it. Silicone based. Good for feet, to stop blisters. But it does not stop sweat.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I take anti-perspirant deodorant. It doubles as anti-chaffing cream - exactly the same active ingredient (aluminium chlorohydrate).

Not to "put a fly in the ointment" as it were, but some people are sensitive/allergic to aluminum chlorohydrate. After several decades of using it, that now includes me. My current deodorant is Tom's, which I get from Trader Joe's here in the US of A. Haven't yet tried it as an anti-chafing solution, but now that you've mentioned it, I do plan to try it in that role.

Yes, my husband is allergic to anti-perspirant. I don't seem to be.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Overly heavy packs will inevitably be lightened along the Way -- don't worry too much now, just make sure to keep anything genuinely personal in your pack as you survey the Camino dustbins when the time comes !!

Ok, I have taken the bare minimum that I think I can live with for 6 weeks and my pack is too heavy. I don't even want to admit to how heavy it is. I really, really don't want to travel across the world and not have everything I need. I have taken out things that I don't think are important but really don't think I have that much stuff. It sure adds up, doesn't it! You will know me when you see me from my monster pack!!!!! I know I'm going to regret it but I just can't seem to get it lighter. My damn cosmetic 3 liter bag weighs 3 pounds itself. If I could just reduce it by 5 lbs, I would be happy....I know I'm going to get a ration, but I probably need it.

When you carry all your stuff you will realize how much of a burden it is, and how unnecessary it is. Your stuff (cosmetics and finery) isn't you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You need to severely cut back on the cosmetics. Your concern should be only staying clean but it’s worth bringing a special item that makes you feel a bit better and will make all the difference in the world when you’re tired and broken down. Shaving makes me feel clean and better looking so I pack the 1 lb of razor and shaving cream.

So I do have a windbreaker, a fleece and a Merino wool sweater for cooler weather. Will I not b needing all three to walk starting may 3.
For cold weather, a windbreaker and a fleece OR wool sweater should do you. If you get too cold, put on everything you own underneath. Weigh the fleece and sweater and see which is lighter and take that. We travel with one rain jacket and one wool sweater and one very small (costco) set of long underwear in case of really cold weather. A friend of mine was doing the camino last year and a really COLD spell set in (in August I think) and she and many others just headed to the nearest town to wait out the cold weather. I like the idea of living with your kit for 4 days, and wearing/using nothing but what is in there. PS, training with your pack fully loaded is a great way of working out if it too heavy.

Don't forget that you will be wearing some of the things you call 'packing', so there will be less in the pack than your complete list. One to wear, one to wash/still wet and one other is plenty. each time I walk I make a note of what I have actually used, including the quantities, and the next time the pack is always lighter.
Enjoy the experience!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Debbye Jean,

Here's a video... my opinion (as a guy, of course) on what worked and what did't for me. I think my pack was around 14 lbs, counting the hiking poles:

Dan

Ps Again speaking as a guy, as a pilgrim it's OK to go au naturel. It's the inner beauty and outer sweat that count!
pps Sorry about the poor audio.

When my wife and I were young we could travel Europe for two weeks with backpacks. Now she "has to have" a suitcase for a weekend.

Debbye,
Take absolutely everything you can! When you get there you will know Spain is a modern country and you can buy what you need if you need. Or you will dump most of it follow the one of packing lists and be free is all the material stuff. It's a pilgrimage comfortable shoes, bag to carry, change of clothes. I was in Europe for a year with less than 30 lbs being able to ship things home. Good luck! Here or there you will figure out the difference between want and need.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Size of pack can be a major problem Any pack over 40 Litres is going to be heavier and afford the chance to add more stuff

One part of the solution is to dump the cosmetics. That is the first 3 lb gone. Honestly, you will be sweating a lot over a long period of time. Whilr on the Camino, consider the absolute minimums you can live with, buy fresh make-up as needed.But even moisturizer is going to make you feel grungy after you begin sweating. Wear a pair of underwear and socks and pack one pair of each, HOW MANY PAIRS OF SHOES? Wear one pair for hiking and sandals or flipflops for offf trail use. Have we dropped the other two pounds yet?

So I do have a windbreaker, a fleece and a Merino wool sweater for cooler weather. Will I not b needing all three to walk starting may 3.

Hi, Debbye!
On 13th of this month, came home from Santiago, the pilgrims wear sleeveless
really hot pants when they were coming in to town. I saw sweet on their faces.
Only place being very cold was inside the Cathedral.
Local people tends to wear warmer clothes.
You might want to keep only one warm wear, for just mornings.
Other wise weather was getting hotter. No rain for the last 10 days.
Buen Camino.
From Cathy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think you are right. I am struggling with a lot of loss, like I think many people are. On my training walks I have touched the surface of these multiple losses and started to cry. Then I choke it back down and contain myself and walk on. It's quite interesting to me and I just wonder where im going to be on the trail when I finally come face to face with it all.
Best wishes for your healing. Most likely you will find some help on the long stretches of the Meseta plateu...? Take your time.

You guys are so awesome. I wish I could visit with all of you on the trail.
I suppose I'll arrive in SdC around May 27th. Starting from Lisboa on next Sunday (is the plan, but that can change: I play by ear and take each day as and when it comes... The Way is the goal.) ;)

Buen Camino to you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My friend and I (2 females) walked for 15 days on Portuguese coastal route, as well as 15 more travelling around in Morocco and Gibraltar carrying 11 lb packs, with sleeping bags. It was wonderful and we never missed a thing. Other pilgrims envied our light, small packs wherever we went. Change of clothes plus an extra shirt, rain gear, fleece, extra shoes, pjs, small wash bag, cup and spork and water bottle...
Buen Camino

Ok I must reply and tell you my story. After one week of walking with heavy packs, my friend and I sat on the bed and pulled out all sorts of stuff we didn't need. Totally 8 lbs. We boxed it up and shipped it thru Correos to Santiago and they will hold it for you there until you arrive and pick it up. We also learned another trick... there is a muchilla bus that carries people's luggage and heavy packs for them to the next albergues. Some think this is cheating... I certainly did. But when there is necessity this is available all along the France route. Hope this helps. As far as cosmetics. Take a tiny mascara and some lip color and use that for blush as well as lips (for those evenings out). Take a tiny shampoo/conditioner and refill along the way. That's all you need. Buen Camino

Perhaps it will come out in "dibs-and-dabs", as my late mother-in-law used to say, rather than all at once.

I'm thinking it may be a good idea for you to talk things over with a professional before you begin the physical Camino.
I will be fine if there was something I posted that
You need to severely cut back on the cosmetics. Your concern should be only staying clean but it’s worth bringing a special item that makes you feel a bit better and will make all the difference in the world when you’re tired and broken down. Shaving makes me feel clean and better looking so I pack the 1 lb of razor and shaving cream.
I keep posting I meant toiletries not cosmetics. I have lightened the load by about 8 lbs. I'm fine now.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is your cosmetic bag for cosmetics or toiletries. If cosmetics, its the camino, not a fashion show. No-one will care if you have eye shadow or not, nobody else will have any. If toiletries, you can buy a bottle of soap that washes you, your hair, your fruit and your clothes. Toothpaste and a brush and a comb for your hair plus said soap and you are good to go. When you run out, the Camino is not the wilderness, you can easily replace what you need. Forget cosmetics, let your natural beauty shine through

Is your cosmetic bag for cosmetics or toiletries. If cosmetics, its the camino, not a fashion show. No-one will care if you have eye shadow or not, nobody else will have any. If toiletries, you can buy a bottle of soap that washes you, your hair, your fruit and your clothes. Toothpaste and a brush and a comb for your hair plus said soap and you are good to go. When you run out, the Camino is not the wilderness, you can easily replace what you need. Forget cosmetics, let your natural beauty shine through
Read another of your posts after posting mine, sorry. No cosmetics then :) my bad

Jacotrans will solve all your problems.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last year I walked with a great pack but it did weigh 12.5kgs, this year I am attempting to cut it down - not sure this has happened LOL When are you walking Debbye Jean?

No that's not true. I replied to the the posts telling everyone I already lessened my load by 7 pounds. I will continue to whittle it down. I very much am listening to everyone's advice
If you dont get your bag to a usable weight, just take the stuff that you dont mind losing, as you will undoubtedly bin the stuff along the way! Another lesson you will learn as part of your Camino experience! I start my Camino on the 26th, so if I see you along the way I will buy you a drink! Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last year I walked with a great pack but it did weigh 12.5kgs, this year I am attempting to cut it down - not sure this has happened LOL When are you walking Debbye Jean?
But I am going to Paris for a couple of days and will start my actual walk on May 2 or 3rd.

If you dont get your bag to a usable weight, just take the stuff that you dont mind losing, as you will undoubtedly bin the stuff along the way! Another lesson you will learn as part of your Camino experience! I start my Camino on the 26th, so if I see you along the way I will buy you a drink! Buen Camino
Where are you starting, PiggyHinton? I will be in Paris on the 29 and 30th, then back in Pamplona on May 1. If you are in Pamplona around this date, let me know. I will take you up on your drink offer!

Where are you starting, PiggyHinton? I will be in Paris on the 29 and 30th, then back in Pamplona on May 1. If you are in Pamplona around this date, let me know. I will take you up on your drink offer!
Hi
I start from St jean on the 26th, April, and the drinks on me! You have had a bit of a culture shock with your "packing list!" but I hope the Forum has given you some good advice to think about before you start your pilgrimage and to make it easier! If we dont bump into each other I wish you a Buen Camino and I hope it turns out to be all you hope for. My last bit of advice is relax, it's not a race and enjoy the moment and the question of "make-up" I say is the best make-up for anyone is a smile!

Last edited:
I've walked 3 times. I'm a guy, so I'm not going to give advice--you've already gotten some really helpful ideas from other pilgrims. I guess what I want to say is this: you might not have the same experience, but the freedom I felt by carrying only what one needs for one or two days, was one of the most liberating things about the Camino. I found myself wishing I could live that "light" all the time. I know I can't. But it has caused me to seriously start the process of downsizing and dealing with how much "stuff" I really want to keep around--and leave behind for my kids to have to throw out when I leave this life....You've already started your Camino, and it won't end when you reach Santiago. The insights will come while you are walking and long after. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.