• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Packing List ... do your worst

PaulCat

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2015) & June/July (2018)
Hello Camino Friends!

I fly out on Tuesday, and I think I have it all just about settled.

I'm just a hair under 20 pounds (9kg). I weight 200 pounds (90.7kg), so I meet the 10% recommendation. However, I am still wanting to lighten my load. Any sugestions?

Also, these are the things in my bag and does not consider the things that I will have on my body.

Things I am debating about getting rid of or swapping out:
  • Cabela mini messenger bag (since I'll have an altus packable back pack).
  • Rain Jacket becuase I didn't use it last time even in the rain. I feel like I could buy an Altus backpacking one over in Spain if I decide I need one.
  • Sleeping Sheet becuase I only used it once, maybe twice, last time. I mostly slept in either my clothes if it was cool, requested a blanket or just in my undies. Do I really need this thing?
  • Teva Trekking Sandals to a pair of minimalist outdoor sandals that weight about 3-4 times less. I want to take the Teva hiking sandals with me only becuase I used pair of these last time for about half the Camino and mailed my shoes to SdC. I could also just buy something while over in Spain if need be. I keep going back and fourth on this one.
  • Drop my food weight (I have 2 lbs planned, but will probably only cary at most one pound).

Here is my packing list on Google Sheets, with my own commentary.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Maybe replace the rain jacket with an inexpensive poncho that covers you and your backpack. I bought one a couple of years ago, a Frogg Toggs brand. Weighs very little, fairly sturdy and not at all expensive (if I decide to leave it in an albergue).
Personally I like to have a lightweight sleeping bag liner just to get off the mattress. I have a synthetic, faux silk one I bought for about 5 euros. but I too have traveled without one and simply slept in the albergue bunks in my clothes, or used an albergue blanket when available.

I love doing my worst!

Saving weight is good, but I found it equally important to save on bulk. The fewer things I had, the easier it was to pack, unpack, and find what I needed.

You've walked before, so obviously you have a better idea of your own needs. But my take is:

Ditch
Toaks 357ml titanium mug - I'm a coffee addict, and still I ask: Why?
Teva Trail Sandals - If you trek in the sandals then you'll be carrying your boots or hiking shoes. Ditch 'em and bring a pair of flip flops.
Seas to summit 13L dry bag - That's a big bag. I found a small dry bag to carry electronics was enough.
16 oz Wide mouth nalgene (1) - I preferred having one single 1L bottle for most days, and supplementing it with drinks from the tiendas on hot days.
Travel pillow - Bulky. Unless you really need this, ditch it.
altus backpack - Too bulky. I ended up ditching my cheap daypack and just using a basic drawstring bag.
Cabela mini messenger bag - overkill. If you need to mail stuff ahead just buy a box at the post office.

Keep
Moisturizer for face. - Mandatory in my book. I'm surprised how few guys carried moisturizer.
sleeping sheet - I can't imagine sleeping without a sheet. Some of the municipal albergues didn't provide anything beyond a bed.
Rain jacket. I liked mine, and weather is unpredictable. Doubles as a warm layer, so I'd keep this over a fleece. I guess it depends on what style of jacket - I splurged and got an Italian one made for biking. It was the only stylish thing I carried.

Add
No shorts, or sweat pants, or something to wear besides one pair of convertible pants?
I loved my black running tights. I started off modest and only wore them under a pair of shorts for awhile, and then just stopped caring.

Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Camino Friends!

I'm just a hair under 20 pounds (9kg). I weight 200 pounds (90.7kg), so I meet the 10% recommendation. However, I am still wanting to lighten my load. Any sugestions?

Also, these are the things in my bag and does not consider the things that I will have on my body.

• Rain Jacket becuase I didn't use it last time even in the rain. I feel like I could buy an Altus backpacking one over in Spain if I decide I need one.
  • Sleeping Sheet becuase I only used it once, maybe twice, last time. I mostly slept in either my clothes if it was cool, requested a blanket or just in my undies. Do I really need this thing?
  • Teva Trekking Sandals to a pair of minimalist outdoor sandals that weight about 3-4 times less. I want to take the Teva hiking sandals with me only becuase I used pair of these last time for about half the Camino and mailed my shoes to SdC. I could also just buy something while over in Spain if need be. I keep going back and fourth on this one.
  • Drop my food weight (I have 2 lbs planned, but will probably only cary at most one pound).

First, I agree with Latecomer and tomnorth, given that your 20 pounds includes 5 pounds of food and water, I think you are doing very well. Since you are walking in the summer, it's possible that you could get by without a rain jacket.
As for me, unless I'm trekking through the Sahara, I'm taking my 11 oz arcteryx rain jacket. I have walked three times in the Spring and once in the Fall, so that's a factor. I also use my rain jacket as my outer shell, which is helpful on cold early (and windy) mornings in the mountains. I've used it as a shirt when my shirts are drying on the line. Having walked in sideways, all day long rains and 70mph winds, I just can't bring myself to using a trash bag or cheap poncho.
I think if you have walked in your Tevas before, that's a pretty compelling reason to stick with them, unless you have locked in on the perfect hiking boot or shoe and know that's what you'll wear everyday.
By the way, I walked two Caminos with the Trail 40 and then outsmarted myself and used two different packs since (Gregory and Low Alpine). When I walk next Spring I'm going back to my REI Trail 40.
Here's to your most excellent adventure! Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Camino Friends!

I think it is polite and considerate to use a sleeping sheet of one kind or another. Maybe it isn't much, but it is a way to avoid leaving too much of an impression on the bed for the next pilgrim who will lie on it!

thoughts:
you will need something between you and the bed- many albergues require it
i used a pyrethrin sprayed Tyvek under my sleeping bag

you may find that flip flops or ultralight weight sandals/ zoris etc do not provide enough support at your stated weight - so probably wont work as alterative shoes, touring walks around town etc

nalgene bottles are VERY heavy compared to alternatives that every one has mentioned elsewhere
it's coming soon Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@PaulCat , greetings

And thanks for your worksheet

I am most familiar with kilogram weights for my gear, so first did a conversion. Then considered the weighter things and made some adjustments for your consideration.

Some respondents have said, in effect, "less is more" and "keep things as simple as possible". And I agree. My rubbish, including a tent, water, tablet and some breakfast & lunch food, totals just over 7 kg (about 15 pounds).

From one perspective, a camino is about making do with the minimum. And if you do need something you left behind you are usually only a few days away from a significant town or city.

And I am conscious you leave in a few days, and so I say:

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Attachments

• Pack list on 2018 06 10 @ 03h46.pdf
    384.9 KB · Views: 36
No extra tee shirt?
List looks okay to me (though I never wore long pants). I definitely took a sleeping sheet and used it every night. I kind of understand the 10% of body weight "rule," but it mostly doesn't make sense to me. A person who is very overweight, say, and not fit should not be carrying more than someone who weighs less and is in good shape.

I love doing my worst!

Saving weight is good, but I found it equally important to save on bulk. The fewer things I had, the easier it was to pack, unpack, and find what I needed.
That's a good idea about bulk.

I
Toaks 357ml titanium mug - I'm a coffee addict, and still I ask: Why?
I found myself using this more than my water bottles last time. It was easier for me to just take my cup out and drink at the fountains then move on. Also, was very handy at the albergues that did not have pots or pans. Doubled as a pot for boiling water.

Teva Trail Sandals - If you trek in the sandals then you'll be carrying your boots or hiking shoes. Ditch 'em and bring a pair of flip flops.
These are super heavy. I had a horrible foot experience last time with blisters from day 2 till walking into Santiago. These sandals helped for about half of the trip. Basically, these I carry with me out of both paranoia. Plus, they'll be super comfortable while walking around town in the evenings.

I love doing my worst!
Seas to summit 13L dry bag - That's a big bag. I found a small dry bag to carry electronics was enough.
This is mostly for my post Camino travels. It doubles as a make shift hand washer. I would like to ditch it, but I know I'll be in places with only a small wash basin. This will allow me to get my clothes cleaner.

16 oz Wide mouth nalgene (1) - I preferred having one single 1L bottle for most days, and supplementing it with drinks from the tiendas on hot days.
I replaced this with a 20oz widemouth gatorade bottle that is much lighter. I might go get a second one just to keep 1 liter of water on me with and be able to balance out both sides.

Travel pillow - Bulky. Unless you really need this, ditch it.
Sadly I do. Back and neck issues. Also, it deflates to be smaller than a tennis ball.

altus backpack - Too bulky. I ended up ditching my cheap daypack and just using a basic drawstring bag.
Cabela mini messenger bag - overkill. If you need to mail stuff ahead just buy a box at the post office.
Keeping the altus. Ditching the Messenger bag.

Keep
Moisturizer for face. - Mandatory in my book. I'm surprised how few guys carried moisturizer.
sleeping sheet - I can't imagine sleeping without a sheet. Some of the municipal albergues didn't provide anything beyond a bed.
Rain jacket. I liked mine, and weather is unpredictable. Doubles as a warm layer, so I'd keep this over a fleece. I guess it depends on what style of jacket - I splurged and got an Italian one made for biking. It was the only stylish thing I carried.
Keeping the sheet. Someone else made a comment about thinking of other pilgrims. So I kept the sheet. I got a Frogg Toggs jacket, but I figured if it starts to fail or doesn't suit my needs I can always pick up something at a Decath. The fleece I'd like to ditch, but I'll be doing some mountain climbing post camino, so I'll want to have that -- also doubles as a comfortable shirt if I decided to use a washer and dryer.

Add
No shorts, or sweat pants, or something to wear besides one pair of convertible pants?
I loved my black running tights. I started off modest and only wore them under a pair of shorts for awhile, and then just stopped caring.

I didn't include in my weight what I would be wearing. I am on the fence about taking a small light pair of running shorts that have the liner built in them.

Thanks for the feedback.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First, I agree with Latecomer and tomnorth, given that your 20 pounds includes 5 pounds of food and water, I think you are doing very well. Since you are walking in the summer, it's possible that you could get by without a rain jacket.
As for me, unless I'm trekking through the Sahara, I'm taking my 11 oz arcteryx rain jacket. I have walked three times in the Spring and once in the Fall, so that's a factor. I also use my rain jacket as my outer shell, which is helpful on cold early (and windy) mornings in the mountains. I've used it as a shirt when my shirts are drying on the line. Having walked in sideways, all day long rains and 70mph winds, I just can't bring myself to using a trash bag or cheap poncho.
I think if you have walked in your Tevas before, that's a pretty compelling reason to stick with them, unless you have locked in on the perfect hiking boot or shoe and know that's what you'll wear everyday.
By the way, I walked two Caminos with the Trail 40 and then outsmarted myself and used two different packs since (Gregory and Low Alpine). When I walk next Spring I'm going back to my REI Trail 40.
Here's to your most excellent adventure! Buen Camino

I love the Trail 40 for plane travel especially. I picked up a frogg toggs ultraight 2 rain jacket. Weights in at 5.5oz. I hope it will be all I need. I hope I won't have to buy something else in Spain.

Thanks!

I think it is polite and considerate to use a sleeping sheet of one kind or another. Maybe it isn't much, but it is a way to avoid leaving too much of an impression on the bed for the next pilgrim who will lie on it!
Great idea! The sheet is back in the bag! Thanks!

Why are you carrying two pounds of food? Did I miss something?

Because I over prepare. I plan on carrying most of my food along the way and only buy dinner, maybe. I hate wasting food, and I know that some things only come in large packages. For example a box of 10 packets of instant oatmeal in the US weighs in at about 13 oz. Then if I include a snacks (candy bar), and some cheese and olives for lunch, I'll be approaching the 2 pound mark.

However, I do think 2 pounds is more than what I will carry. I'm also meeting a priest friend mid way and will be carrying part of his mass kit. So, maybe it is good that I over estimate a little.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I love the Trail 40 for plane travel especially. I picked up a frogg toggs ultraight 2 rain jacket. Weights in at 5.5oz. I hope it will be all I need. I hope I won't have to buy something else in Spain.

Thanks!
I do believe that rain jacket will work just fine.
I have three Camino Frances walks between June and July and on all three it was warm and dry, and even downright hot at times (July). If I were to break it down to a percentage of how many days of all those days had rain, it would probably be 3-5 percent. I certainly could not imagine having carried rain trousers on those Caminos. No way.

Because I over prepare. I plan on carrying most of my food along the way and only buy dinner, maybe. I hate wasting food, and I know that some things only come in large packages. For example a box of 10 packets of instant oatmeal in the US weighs in at about 13 oz. Then if I include a snacks (candy bar), and some cheese and olives for lunch, I'll be approaching the 2 pound mark.

However, I do think 2 pounds is more than what I will carry. I'm also meeting a priest friend mid way and will be carrying part of his mass kit. So, maybe it is good that I over estimate a little.

You aren't walking through the wilderness. There will be grocery stores every few kilometers and food is ridiculously cheap in Spain. There is no need to carry two pounds of food -- overpreparing is the antithesis of what the Camino is about.

But I suspect you will figure that out on day one. :)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.