• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Packing List - first time on Camino. March-May

thecatalanway

Time of past OR future Camino
I hope to walk the Camino Frances in Spring 2015
Hello there

I introduced myself a few days ago and it was suggested I add my packing list here to invite comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Questions are on items 11, 18, 32, 38, 39, 52, 53, 56 and 57
This includes what I will be wearing.

1. 2 long trousers hiking style quick dry
2. 2 long sleeved T shirts - one is the merino wool close to skin type
3. 2 short sleeved T shirts - technical
4. 1 sleeveless vest - technical
5. 1 very light and short shorts
6. 1 front zip fleece
7. 1 ultra thin down jacket
8. 3 knickers
9. 3 pairs walking socks
10. 1 sports bra (I won't wear it every day!)
11. thin sock liners - 1 pair - not sure if necessary
12. 1 woolly hat
13. 1 headscarf for sun protection/neck warmth
14. 1 short thin skirt for a change!
15. 1 rain poncho to cover everything
16. 1 pair of Merrell walking shoes
17. 1 pair Keen walking sandals
18. 1 pair flip flops - do I really need these just for showers?
19. 1 technical towel
20. 1 small bag for carrying valuables when I am not with rucksack
21. Almost forgot - 1 rucksack 30L -
22. Sunglasses
23. Normal glasses
24. iphone and charger and small earphones. this will double as camera
25. Kindle and charger - I know, do I need it? Yes I think I do!
26. 3 asthma inhalers - prevention and emergency
27. toothbrush and paste
28. tweezers, nail scissors, clippers
29. Argan oil for feet and massage and as face cream
30. sun protection cream
31. eye pencil for my luxury.
32. vaseline - a friend said it is good for feet?
33. earplugs
34. Anadin - I can't take Neurofen unfortunately.
35. shampoo and conditioner in tiny amounts
36. bar of soap in mesh bag for both me and clothes
38. something for blisters - not sure what - never had one!
39. Duck tape - what is this exactly and do I need it?
40. Notebook small and pen
41. Guidebook - Brierley.
42. 3 homeopathic remedies in tiny bottles - arnica, nux vom, apis,
43. 10 acupuncture needles - it is my job and I never travel without
44. 6 pegs or 6 safety pins - not decided yet
45. swiss army knife
46. whistle (I read Wild and she found hers useful!)
47. fork and teaspoon
48. small tupperware so I can carry veggie lunch left overs. (might not bother with this)
49. half a roll of T Paper
50. Comb - don't need a brush
51. pillow case for sleeping on
52. Sleeping bag - still looking for super light one. What weight is normal?
53. Tiny torch. hand held or head better?
54. Money and credit card
55. Passport and EU health card and Spanish health card
56. Water bottle - is it enough to carry half a litre at this time of year?
57. Totally undecided about trecking poles but to be honest I don't want one other thing so perhaps not.

It seems a lot to me and I look forward to your responses. Kate x

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello there

I introduced myself a few days ago and it was suggested I add my packing list here to invite comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Questions are on items 11, 18, 32, 38, 39, 52, 53, 56 and 57
This includes what I will be wearing.
Can you carry all of this ? Suggestions to reduce are embedded...

1. 2 long trousers hiking style quick dry - one should be enough
2. 2 long sleeved T shirts - one is the merino wool close to skin type -why two, ss tshirts most of the time
3. 2 short sleeved T shirts - technical - also merino ideally
6. 1 front zip fleece - if this is your insulating layer, then ok, i will take only the thin down jacket if lighter
7. 1 ultra thin down jacket - if this is your only insulating layer, then ok
11. thin sock liners - 1 pair - have you trained with liners and found it helps, if so take two pairs.
15. 1 rain poncho to cover everything - yes, ideally a sleeveless one, that can ventilate most
18. 1 pair flip flops - do I really need these just for showers? - you can use the sandals instead
21. Almost forgot - 1 rucksack 30L - have you packed everything in this 30l, have room for water/food?
25. Kindle and charger - not unless u need widescreen while at alberque, kindle app for iphone
36. bar of soap in mesh bag for both me and clothes - liquid soap concentrate is better
39. Duck tape - what is this exactly and do I need it? No
41. Guidebook - Brierley. - the thinner maps version is good enough, only 5 oz
51. pillow case for sleeping on - can you not put your head under your sleeping bag
52. Sleeping bag - still looking for super light one. What weight is normal? - mine is 700g, 15c, bought in spain
53. Tiny torch. hand held or head better? - can use your iphone
56. Water bottle - is it enough to carry half a litre at this time of year? - hydration imporatant ,1 liter minimum
57. Totally undecided about trecking poles. - very valuable, pls read this thread on trekking poles

You don't have a rain jacket. So make sure the fleece or the down jacket is good enough for around town, unless you are happy to wear that poncho around.
You should read this post on blister prevention

Last edited:
51. pillow case for sleeping on - not really, can use your sleeping bag

I say absolutely for the pillowcase: these don't get washed daily so for me it's about hygene. In Spain pillows are more like bolsters, so perhaps just sew a tube to put the pillow though, or cut open the second end of an old pillowcase you already own.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My two cents' worth
3. 2 short sleeved T shirts - technical - this time of year, I'd only take one (if any) - can always toll up the sleeves of your others
5. 1 very light and short shorts - don't be surprised if you don't get to wear these in this time frame!
6. 1 front zip fleece
7. 1 ultra thin down jacket - I wouldn't
8. 3 knickers
9. 3 pairs walking socks
11. thin sock liners - 1 pair - not sure if necessary - only if you have already used them successfully at home
12. 1 woolly hat
14. 1 short thin skirt for a change! - I made myself choose between skirt OR second pair of pants - I chose the skirt, but often wished for longs even as late as June.
17. 1 pair Keen walking sandals - I love my Keens but would just stick with #16 and #18 - except I'd change #18 (see below)
18. 1 pair flip flops - do I really need these just for showers? - I toook these on my first camino but often in teh evening got cold feet, so next time I took lightweight crocs which were great coz I would wear socks with them
19. 1 technical towel
22. Sunglasses
23. Normal glasses
25. Kindle and charger - I know, do I need it? Yes I think I do! download app
26. 3 asthma inhalers - prevention and emergency I'm asthmatic but only took one and never needed it!
27. toothbrush and paste
30. sun protection cream
31. eye pencil for my luxury. really? ;-)
33. earplugs
38. something for blisters - not sure what - never had one! just a standard plaster will do the trick (although I prefer a small roll of paper medical tape) - apply if you feel a hotspot. If you need something more substantial you can buy it there.
39. Duck tape - what is this exactly and do I need it? I took a length of duct tape around my muscle cream container and while I never needed it a number of other pilgrims did - all you need to know is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape
42. 3 homeopathic remedies in tiny bottles - arnica, nux vom, apis,consider transferring to plastic bottles rather than glass
44. 6 pegs or 6 safety pins - not decided yet safety pins! and a length of string if you want a clothesline/spare shoelace
45. swiss army knife
46. whistle (I read Wild and she found hers useful!) You won't be in the wild!
47. fork and teaspoon others are likely to advise you against these items, I used mine all the time!
48. small tupperware so I can carry veggie lunch left overs. (might not bother with this) ziploc bags will be lighter
51. pillow case for sleeping on just wrap #13 headscarf around the pillow
53. Tiny torch. hand held or head better? I never needed one but I know many people like them - do not shine in other pilgrims' faces!!!
57. Totally undecided about trecking poles but to be honest I don't want one other thing so perhaps not.

I say absolutely for the pillowcase: these don't get washed daily so for me it's about hygene. In Spain pillows are more like bolsters, so perhaps just sew a tube to put the pillow though, or cut open the second end of an old pillowcase you already own.
I suppose it depends on the type of places you stay in. I always avoided those poorly administered municipals. Most places i stayed gave us a pillow case and clean sheets we had to put on. Between my pillow and my head is my sleeping bag hood. If you are very particular about pillows, why not take it.

I suppose it depends on the type of places you stay in. I always avoided those poorly administered municipals. Most places i stayed gave us a pillow case and clean sheets we had to put on. Between my pillow and my head is my sleeping bag hood. If you are very particular about pillows, why not take it.
They gave you sheets and pillowcases on the CF? On CDN yes, and I love it, but I have never seen it on CF.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

1. 2 long trousers hiking style quick dry - one should be enough
2. 2 long sleeved T shirts - one is the merino wool close to skin type -why two, ss tshirts most of the time
3. 2 short sleeved T shirts - technical - also merino ideally
6. 1 front zip fleece - if this is your insulating layer, then ok, i will take only the thin down jacket if lighter
7. 1 ultra thin down jacket - if this is your only insulating layer, then ok
11. thin sock liners - 1 pair - have you trained with liners and found it helps, if so take two pairs.
15. 1 rain poncho to cover everything - yes, ideally a sleeveless one, that can ventilate most
18. 1 pair flip flops - do I really need these just for showers? - you can use the sandals instead
21. Almost forgot - 1 rucksack 30L - have you packed everything in this 30l, have room for water/food?
25. Kindle and charger - not unless u need widescreen while at alberque, kindle app for iphone
36. bar of soap in mesh bag for both me and clothes - liquid soap concentrate is better
39. Duck tape - what is this exactly and do I need it? No
41. Guidebook - Brierley. - the thinner maps version is good enough
51. pillow case for sleeping on - can you not put your head under your sleeping bag
52. Sleeping bag - still looking for super light one. What weight is normal? - mine is 700g, 15c, bought in spain
53. Tiny torch. hand held or head better? - can use your iphone
56. Water bottle - is it enough to carry half a litre at this time of year? - hydration imporatant ,1 liter minimum
57. Totally undecided about trecking poles. - very valuable, pls read this thread on trekking poles

You don't have a rain jacket. So make sure the fleece or the down jacket is good enough for around town, unless you are happy to wear that poncho around.
You should read this post on blister prevention

Great reply - thanks!
1&2 Surely I need one to wear and one to carry? I could only take one trousers but what if it's wet through? But I take the point that I don't need two long sleeved TS.
6&7 So you mean I only need down jacket OR fleece? I don't think the jacket is warm enough in cold temperatures.
11 Haven't been able to find lining socks at all yet - have asked in several shops. They say the walking socks don't need them!
18 OK I am throwing out the flip flops and will not wear sandals right into the shower.
21 Rucksack - yes have packed it and tons of room still.
39 so glad to forget this duck tape!
All the rest - great advice. Still umming about poles - I really like my hands free and have pretty good balance. I guess I can get a stick later if I need one.

All the best to you!

Yes, pants, one pair on, one pair in bag for when you arrive at the next albergue and wash the pair you wore that day. As for lining socks, it's true, you don't need them. In my experience they bunch up at the bottom of the feet. There are double layer socks you can buy, or merino trekking socks. Finally, re fleece and/or down jacket: what time of the year are you walking? Didn't see that in your post.

My two cents' worth
3. 2 short sleeved T shirts - technical - this time of year, I'd only take one (if any) - can always toll up the sleeves of your others
5. 1 very light and short shorts - don't be surprised if you don't get to wear these in this time frame!
6. 1 front zip fleece
7. 1 ultra thin down jacket - I wouldn't
8. 3 knickers
9. 3 pairs walking socks
11. thin sock liners - 1 pair - not sure if necessary - only if you have already used them successfully at home
12. 1 woolly hat
14. 1 short thin skirt for a change! - I made myself choose between skirt OR second pair of pants - I chose the skirt, but often wished for longs even as late as June.
17. 1 pair Keen walking sandals - I love my Keens but would just stick with #16 and #18 - except I'd change #18 (see below)
18. 1 pair flip flops - do I really need these just for showers? - I toook these on my first camino but often in teh evening got cold feet, so next time I took lightweight crocs which were great coz I would wear socks with them
19. 1 technical towel
22. Sunglasses
23. Normal glasses
25. Kindle and charger - I know, do I need it? Yes I think I do! download app
26. 3 asthma inhalers - prevention and emergency I'm asthmatic but only took one and never needed it!
27. toothbrush and paste
30. sun protection cream
31. eye pencil for my luxury. really? ;-)
33. earplugs
38. something for blisters - not sure what - never had one! just a standard plaster will do the trick (although I prefer a small roll of paper medical tape) - apply if you feel a hotspot. If you need something more substantial you can buy it there.
39. Duck tape - what is this exactly and do I need it? I took a length of duct tape around my muscle cream container and while I never needed it a number of other pilgrims did - all you need to know is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape
42. 3 homeopathic remedies in tiny bottles - arnica, nux vom, apis,consider transferring to plastic bottles rather than glass
44. 6 pegs or 6 safety pins - not decided yet safety pins! and a length of string if you want a clothesline/spare shoelace
45. swiss army knife
46. whistle (I read Wild and she found hers useful!) You won't be in the wild!
47. fork and teaspoon others are likely to advise you against these items, I used mine all the time!
48. small tupperware so I can carry veggie lunch left overs. (might not bother with this) ziploc bags will be lighter
51. pillow case for sleeping on just wrap #13 headscarf around the pillow
53. Tiny torch. hand held or head better? I never needed one but I know many people like them - do not shine in other pilgrims' faces!!!

Thanks for this - really useful to get your impressions. I still hope to wear the shorts in May - I walked for years in Cornwall in shorts and I like them in the rain though not if its too cold. Best wishes

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, pants, one pair on, one pair in bag for when you arrive at the next albergue and wash the pair you wore that day. As for lining socks, it's true, you don't need them. In my experience they bunch up at the bottom of the feet. There are double layer socks you can buy, or merino trekking socks. Finally, re fleece and/or down jacket: what time of the year are you walking? Didn't see that in your post.

Setting off March 29th and walking through April and part of May. I like my jacket as it keeps me warm but is incredibly light and scrunches up small. I suppose I can try it for the first week and send it home with my boyfriend when he leaves me after Easter.

Great reply - thanks!
1&2 Surely I need one to wear and one to carry? I could only take one trousers but what if it's wet through? But I take the point that I don't need two long sleeved TS.
6&7 So you mean I only need down jacket OR fleece? I don't think the jacket is warm enough in cold temperatures.
11 Haven't been able to find lining socks at all yet - have asked in several shops. They say the walking socks don't need them!
18 OK I am throwing out the flip flops and will not wear sandals right into the shower.
All the rest - great advice. Still umming about poles - I really like my hands free and have pretty good balance. I guess I can get a stick later if I need one.

All the best to you!
pants - Normally people carry 1 pair of fast drying hiking pants and another pair for travel/town. If that is your intention then is great. How about rain pants (don't know which time frame you will be walking)

6&7 - yes i mean you can get away with one. If fleece is warmer than the down then take the fleece.
Another option would be to take a rain shell (e.g marmot essence) and one light insulating layer either fleece/down. The shell is windproof and waterproof and gives enough warmth and wear it over your ss/ls shirts when needed. You can wear the shell around town also with the insulation layer as needed. Poncho comes out only during sustained rain.

11 - If you have not trained with liners don't use them. I would use the gear and train/prepare for 2-3 weeks with your pack weight. Your feet should harden and blister formation should stop. If blisters persist then try a liner. Most popular are coolmax or injinji liners.

Benefits of the poles are undeniable. Agree you can always pick a pair up on the Camino.

Last edited:
I use my stuff sack of clothes for a pillow.
And rather than a second pair of pants I have a pair of Patagonia leggings (medium weight) that I can wear while my pants are drying or while I sleep or for colder days.
I will wear my raincoat pretty much every day and have the poncho for heavy rain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Knives and sharps on plane just make sure security won't relieve you of these at airport.
Buen camino

Knives and sharps on plane just make sure security won't relieve you of these at airport.
Buen camino

Having done several caminos, Con, you must know the answer to my question - are towels issued at the alburgues, or should I pack face and body towels? I am starting my camino at SJPDP on 5 May 2015.

Bath towels are NOT provided in albergues. Many pilgrims carry a sports towel. Instead mine is a small very quick drying dish towel which when dry can also serve as an additional pillow case.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bath towels are NOT provided in albergues. Many pilgrims carry a sports towel. Instead mine is a small very quick drying dish towel which when dry can also serve as an additional pillow case.
Thank you. Didn't expect such a quick response!

Hi thecalanway by now I take you should be planning another camino no? Well just checking to see how did your packing went? Less items more? Warm? Cold? Just right?

Thanks for the feed back
Zzotte

Hi thecalanway by now I take you should be planning another camino no? Well just checking to see how did your packing went? Less items more? Warm? Cold? Just right?

Thanks for the feed back
Zzotte
Hello there

we are hoping to complete the Camino next March/April. I now have a good sense of what I will need. I sent back lots of stuff on my fist ine and ended up with one pair of trousers, one pair of thin shorts, one leggings, one tiny thin skirt for evenings. One technical long sleeved merino top, one tee shirt, one polar, one small vest top. One jacket which is light and warm and one waterproof tent-like thing which covered my pack too. three pants, ine sports bra. i even got rid of my towel which was a sports one but it was so hopeless that I bought a tea towel instead. next time I will take a tiny normal towel, like a hand towel. I had my walking shoes, my Teva sandals and three pairs of socks. A scarf for sun protection. next time I will take flip flops as it would be tood in the showers but I resent the space they will take. My pack weighed 6kilos after all the sheddings and was totally comfortable.

I wore my shorts and sleeveless at night and my skirt with leggings in the evenings. I wore my trousers every day and didnt care that I had no other. I loved the merino wool long sleeved top as it gave the the layered warmth I needed.

cant wait to get back on the path. We will travel with our dog next year as there were dogs the first time and so I now know it's possible.

Buen Camino

Kate

€46,-
Thanks for the feed back, from your list above it tells me the weather was good not to cold, I thought that for March/April would have been colder but that's great, minus a few things like bra and skirt hahaha I'm doing good about 6kg I wish I could shad the electronics (camera, phone, plugs etc etc almost a pound) and I could never leave without my umbrella :) oh well, I hope to walk the Norte in April 2016 Thanks Again

Zzotte

Thanks for the feed back, from your list above it tells me the weather was good not to cold, I thought that for March/April would have been colder but that's great, minus a few things like bra and skirt hahaha I'm doing good about 6kg I wish I could shad the electronics (camera, phone, plugs etc etc almost a pound) and I could never leave without my umbrella :) oh well, I hope to walk the Norte in April 2016 Thanks Again

Zzotte

That of course wasn't my full packing list! Only the clothes. I had my iphone and charger and my Kindle (probably didn't need that but it was good when I was stuck in Astorga for 5 days) and I had a pillowcase which I used for all my clothes so it was easy to get them in and out of my bag. Used it for pillows too of course. Water bottle, toiletries, loo roll, glasses, and some plastic gloves and bags for picking up other peoples litter along the way!

That of course wasn't my full packing list! Only the clothes. I had my iphone and charger and my Kindle (probably didn't need that but it was good when I was stuck in Astorga for 5 days) and I had a pillowcase which I used for all my clothes so it was easy to get them in and out of my bag. Used it for pillows too of course. Water bottle, toiletries, loo roll, glasses, and some plastic gloves and bags for picking up other peoples litter along the way!
And yes it was quite warm but I needed my layers - and the waterproof cape was wonderful for those days it rained. Made me laugh as well so it earned its place in the pack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks again, I love layering it works great

Thanks
Zzotte

Great reply - thanks!

All the best to you!
I haven't done a Camino yet (first coming up this March) but I use 2 poles always while hiking. Was convinced to do so by a REALLY fit 21 year old hiking guide who uses them always as it not only helps you with balance, but greatly reduces stress on knees and hips. They're great to use when going up or down or even just going along. Perhaps you could borrow someone's and try them and decided for yourself.
Otherwise, have a great trip!

I haven't done a Camino yet (first coming up this March) but I use 2 poles always while hiking. Was convinced to do so by a REALLY fit 21 year old hiking guide who uses them always as it not only helps you with balance, but greatly reduces stress on knees and hips. They're great to use when going up or down or even just going along. Perhaps you could borrow someone's and try them and decided for yourself.
Otherwise, have a great trip!
Hi Sue

Don't forget the corkscrew if you are a wine drinker. Spanish wines don't come with screw caps like in Australia! Only with corks.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.