• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My packing list for 2015

W

Walter1407

The „optimal packing list“ is a never agreed on issue I guess. Well, here is the list which I put together on the basis of my experiences during a three-month walking pilgrimage in 2002. Some items should probably be taken along by everyone, others are needed by only some (or maybe just me). I am posting this with the idea that it could be of help for others' considerations. And if you think that I have forgotten something essential, please let me know.

I will be walking about 1400 miles to Santiago. When I start my pilgrimage it will still be pretty cold. My list represents what I will have with me when I am on the Camino del Norte in late spring. I plan to spend most nights in albergues, daily take a shower and do laundry on every second day.

My (male) packing list for about 30 days on the Camino:

Rucksack
Light sleeping bag
Hiking boots
Giant pilgrim hat
Longish poncho with hood (shaped to cover rucksack; open on sides)
3 synthetic T-shirts
3 synthetic underpants
3 pairs of double-layered hiking socks
Light zip-trousers
Shorts
Belt
Fleece jacket
Medium sized plastic bag for dirty laundry
Very light beach sandals
4 sets of ear plugs
Smartphone / camera, with recharger (containing maps, accommodation lists and personal addresses; phone at night also useable as light source)
Tooth paste tube with screw top, 25 ml
Tooth brush
Miniature sowing kit
Tweezers
Nail scissors
3 or 4 disposable razors
„Kathmandu leaflets“: 1 „Hand & Body Wash“, 1 „Travel Shampoo“ (shampoo also used for shaving)
Small roll-on deodorant
Small fast drying towel
Small comb
Small laundry soap
Neck cloth (for cooling neck with water)
Sun cream, 50ml
Protective lip stick
Paper tissues (also useable as toilet paper)
€€€
Debit and/or credit card
Identity card or passport
Health insurance card
3 very light small bags for: 1. money & misc. cards; 2. toiletries; 3. medication
Stick for the disinfection of small wounds
Small plaster set
Pilgrim shell
Pilgrim pass

In addition, I expect to take:

Patagonia thermal underwear (I sometimes use them as pyjamas; I am also susceptible to catching colds)
Very small lighter (for the sterilisation of needle, scissors and tweezers in case of blister treatment)
Set of Compeed blister plasters
A few tablets of paracetamol and/or aspirin
Personal prescription medication
Glasses
Sun-clip for glasses, in light case
Dental floss
Cotton buds
Vaseline (possible alternative: deer tallow)
Booklet for taking notes
Pen
Half litre refill drinking bottle, carried attached to the trouser belt
Small stone (for Iron Cross)

I won't take:

Family Bibel
Toilet paper roll
Dog spray
Insect spray
Sleeping pad
Pocket knife
Torch
Clothes line
Vaccination card

I wish you all a great and light-weight Camino!
Walter

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Walter

1400miles : where are you starting from?

In case it helps :
- gloves?
- I ditched my sleeping bag in favour of a lightweight bivvy bag, only 156grams (e.g. from http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/safety-and-first-aid/VE108.html) and it was fine for albergue use, although I am a warm sleeper
- 0.5 litre water enough ?? I carried min 1 litre, sometimes 2 litres
- for emergencies, imodium or generic alternative diarrhoea, few tabs weigh hardly anything
- for prevention, electrolyte replacement (e.g. http://highfive.co.uk/product/hydrate/zero ) which I found prevented cramps
- nothing more than fleece jacket

Also I found a small umbrella great for fast rain protection while maintaining full breathability

I also found "arm warmers" as used by runners and cyclists for use with T shirts a great option to preserve warmth w/o having to resort to fleece jacket, meaning I culd maintain warmth w/o getting sweaty

sounds a great lightweight list !

Hi Walter

1400miles : where are you starting from?

In case it helps :
- gloves?
- I ditched my sleeping bag in favour of a lightweight bivvy bag, only 156grams (e.g. from http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/safety-and-first-aid/VE108.html) and it was fine for albergue use, although I am a warm sleeper
- 0.5 litre water enough ?? I carried min 1 litre, sometimes 2 litres
- for emergencies, imodium or generic alternative diarrhoea, few tabs weigh hardly anything
- for prevention, electrolyte replacement (e.g. http://highfive.co.uk/product/hydrate/zero ) which I found prevented cramps
- nothing more than fleece jacket

Also I found a small umbrella great for fast rain protection while maintaining full breathability

I also found "arm warmers" as used by runners and cyclists for use with T shirts a great option to preserve warmth w/o having to resort to fleece jacket, meaning I culd maintain warmth w/o getting sweaty

sounds a great lightweight list !

Greetings! Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.
I will be starting from my home town Zurich.
- Gloves I will probably have with me during the first two weeks of walking in March (and send them home before I cross into France).
- My sleeping bag weighs exactly 500 grams and did a really good job during my first Camino. I think I'll stick with it.
- You are right, 0.5 litres is usually not enough. I listed the bottle because it is an item that I will carry all the way. I take it because it does not have to go into the rucksack as I attach it to the belt. But more drinks will usually be in the rucksack.
- I hardly ever have issues with diahorrea. Electrolytes / magnesium I will buy on the way if and when I need them.
- The "Pellerine" I'll carry is kind of a light weight poncho. I does not cover me all the way round so I don't get drenched in my own sweat. But I am well protected from the rain. Putting it on takes a few seconds. On some stretches of the Camino it can get too windy for an umbrella.
- The arm warmers you recommend sound like a great idea. I have never tried them. I'll get some and test them.
Ultreïa!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walter, your list sounds well thought out and very efficient. The only thing I might add would be a head lamp, but perhaps it will be late enough in the spring that it is not important. I walked the Frances in Sept/Oct and liked to start about 7 a.m. which was no problem when I began my journey in SJPP. By October I had to wait until after 8 to ensure that I had enough light to see markers and to be able to see where I was stepping. For me saving the few gr/oz was not worth the delay, but in spring it might be a non-issue.

Walter, your list sounds well thought out and very efficient. The only thing I might add would be a head lamp, but perhaps it will be late enough in the spring that it is not important. I walked the Frances in Sept/Oct and liked to start about 7 a.m. which was no problem when I began my journey in SJPP. By October I had to wait until after 8 to ensure that I had enough light to see markers and to be able to see where I was stepping. For me saving the few gr/oz was not worth the delay, but in spring it might be a non-issue.

Thanks a lot, Cher.
During those times that the sun rises lateish, I'll be where it's cold, so there won't be a need to start early. I expect to be in Spain between June and August. I am thinking of buying one of those really small LED torches on the way so that I can do a long night walk at least once. Astorga - Leon might be a good stretch for that.
Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The „optimal packing list“ is a never agreed on issue I guess. Well, here is the list which I put together on the basis of my experiences during a three-month walking pilgrimage in 2002. Some items should probably be taken along by everyone, others are needed by only some (or maybe just me). I am posting this with the idea that it could be of help for others' considerations. And if you think that I have forgotten something essential, please let me know.

I will be walking about 1400 miles to Santiago. When I start my pilgrimage it will still be pretty cold. My list represents what I will have with me when I am on the Camino del Norte in late spring. I plan to spend most nights in albergues, daily take a shower and do laundry on every second day.

Rucksack
Light sleeping bag
Hiking boots
Giant pilgrim hat
3 synthetic T-shirts
3 synthetic underpants
Light zip-trousers
Shorts
Belt
Fleece jacket
Very light beach sandals
4 sets of ear plugs
Smartphone / camera, with recharger (containing maps, accommodation lists and personal addresses; phone at night also useable as light source)
Tooth brush
Miniature sowing kit
Tweezers
Nail scissors
3 or 4 disposable razors
„Kathmandu leaflets“: 1 „Hand & Body Wash“, 1 „Travel Shampoo“ (shampoo also used for shaving)
Small roll-on deodorant
Small fast drying towel
Small comb
Small laundry soap
Sun cream, 50ml
Protective lip stick
€€€
Debit and/or credit card
Health insurance card
3 very light small bags for: 1. money & misc. cards; 2. toiletries; 3. medication
Small plaster set
Pilgrim shell
Pilgrim pass

Patagonia thermal underwear (I sometimes use them as pyjamas; I am also susceptible to catching colds)
Very small lighter (for the sterilisation of needle, scissors and tweezers in case of blister treatment)
Glasses
Dental floss
Cotton buds
Booklet for taking notes
Pen

I won't take:

Family Bibel
Toilet paper roll
Dog spray
Insect spray
Sleeping pad
Pocket knife
Torch
Clothes line
Vaccination card

Walter

hi ,good list .Found it helpful to compare with what I'm taking when going to start back on de la plata in March ,Maybe i have a few extra warm light things .Use the keen sandals as extra foot ware ,as have had crocs lighter but don't look as good when worn out when or if spend any time visiting somewhere else afterwards .buen camino

Rucksack
Light sleeping bag
Hiking boots
Giant pilgrim hat
3 synthetic T-shirts
3 synthetic underpants
Light zip-trousers
Shorts
Belt
Fleece jacket
Very light beach sandals
4 sets of ear plugs
Tooth brush
Miniature sowing kit
Tweezers
Nail scissors
3 or 4 disposable razors
Small roll-on deodorant
Small fast drying towel
Small comb
Small laundry soap
Sun cream, 50ml
Protective lip stick
€€€
Debit and/or credit card
Health insurance card
Small plaster set
Pilgrim shell
Pilgrim pass

Glasses
Dental floss
Cotton buds
Booklet for taking notes
Pen

I won't take:

Family Bibel
Toilet paper roll
Dog spray
Insect spray
Sleeping pad
Pocket knife
Torch
Clothes line
Vaccination card

Walter

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes i agree ,re reading ,that you will need more water .We took 1 litre each in backpacks ,in camel packs ,and half litre on side or attached to pack front .Found that most days on de la plata we used all the water ,we were walking in March/April last year .Did not bother with the blades and some of the toiletries .But had a head torch for reading at night and also if we started early .Did not use gloves ,though a couple of mornings used a pair of socks .Plus the binding tape as well as compeer ,as had to bind my big toes up ,for some reason they started to swell and then blister ,though worse the first few weeks .Oh and had sock liners ,found that helped feet .
we walked 20-25 km a day ,a couple of days had to do 30 or just over because of accommodation or because the other distance too short for a day .Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good comment about the noise, Anemone.
Suzanne :)

I wonder, is the sleepingbag noisy due to the reflecting matérial?
I have one very similar made by Columbia, and no it is not noisy. It is very flexible and not crinkly like a space blanket. I like it very much although I consider it to be a sleep sack rather than a sleeping bag.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.