• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Packing List for Summer on del Norte (Yay or Nay)

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
This is what I am hoping/planning to take on my Summer del Norte.

Please offer any suggests or give me the thumbs up...........:)

Clothes (wear one, pack one)
I will wear a ball cap for shade and keeps rain off face
sunglasses
trekking poles
hands free umbrella for rain/hot sun (yeah or nay)

this is everything that will be in my pack

1 short sleeve
1 running shorts (has handy pocket on leg for cell phone)
1 socks
1 undies
1 bra
2 coolmax sleeves with thumb holes (trying something new) takes place of long sleeve shirt.

wind/rain jacket or poncho (haven't decided yet)
I have pack cover so leaning towards the wind/rain jacket just incase the temps drop (Yeah or nay)

silk sleepsac with pillow case
travel towel
flip flops
ziplock for moneybelt

shampoo
conditioner (hair is long)
travel hair brush
body wash/laundry soap
deodorant
facial scrub
facial lotion (olay)
toothbrush
toothpaste
floss

Advil regular and PM
Nyquil gel caps
earplugs

pilgrim passport
guide book

water/snack

What will be in my fanny pack:
phone charger
chapstick
eye liner
gum
money for the day
small Bible

I will wear a money belt

Okay so I hope to stick with this list - I hope that's it (it still seems like too much)

Third Camino is the charm - in more ways then one - right?

:)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sunscreen? Does your facial lotion have this built it?

Nyquil - does this serve an actual purpose or is it "in case"?

You have shampoo and conditioner and facial scrub. Consider combining / condensing these. The liquid in them adds weight. Lots of threads with discussions on that.

Happy planning

I did the CdN July-August last year - and LOVED it. I'm looking forward to my partial CF next year, but I know I'll be back to the Norte soon. I just miss it. So I'm super excited for you that you're giving this one a try!

I carried a little more than you did and there isn't a single item I regret carrying (yes, not even the sarong that I used as a dress/blanket/ocean swim towel or the knife and fold-up tupperware!). You're an experienced pilgrim, so you will know best whether wear-one-pack-one is best for you, but if I understand your post right, you're taking only two changes total. I would at least add a light sleeping layer if you can; mine came in at 140g more and it was more than worth it. From what I've heard about the Frances, the Norte albergues are generally smaller and often more rustic (particularly after Gijon). You'll want to be comfortable when you can - evening/sleep clothes help. It'll also mean you have something dry and 'clean' if you happen to have two sets of wet clothes due to rain/laundry difficulties. It happens....

It rained more than half of my Camino (only clearing significantly after we left the coast!); the year before a friend did it in May and she had only 2 days of rain in the 33 she was out there. Weatherwise, the Norte is much less predictable than the Frances, for example, and you should both be physically and mentally prepared for that. I recommend a poncho even with the pack cover - this will keep your straps dry and stop water potentially flowing between your jacket and your pack. I got a great, light one from Decathlon. You'll also likely get less soaked than you would in a jacket if you're caught in a downpour, as it's better ventilated.

I wouldn't do it without trekking poles, particularly in the Basque country. You can always strap them to your back if you have a day when you'd rather walk without them. The ball cap is essential, for rain and sun. I ended up dumping my sunglasses and just using the cap after 2.5 weeks. I had a bandana/buff that I doubled up on my wrist to wipe sweat and rain from my forehead - can only recommend you pick up a cheap one.

I used a silk sack and I was one of the only ones who did last summer. I hated it, and next time I'll take a 10-15°C bag. It wasn't quite warm enough on a few nights (and I'm a warm sleeper) and I didn't know how much the feeling of the silk on my atypically dry feet and skin would bother me. Be sure this is the direction you want to go before you commit to it. The rain/ocean will chill you and a warm shower is not guaranteed on the Norte. I would also recommend a small tub of nivea cream or vaseline unless you're sure you sure you don't need them, and 1+ compeed and a needle, just in case.

From one long-haired lady to another (bra + eyeliner, I'm making assumptions here ;) ), ditch the bottled haircare and get some shampoo/conditioner bars. I used a lush one (shamp+cond together) with a round storage tub; I could actually have easily only taken half of it and it worked as body wash too. Wasn't the hair smell or texture I was used to but it was super light and easy for daily use, and I never had to worry about finding replacements on the Way. I also took along an eyeliner - wore it only 5-6 times but on those days I just wanted to wear it for me. Would do it again ;)

Unless you're attached to a guidebook, I'd say use an app instead. Less weight, less hassle. My tip to anyone is also to download the google maps for each major stop to major stop stretch (Irun-Bilbao-Santander-Gijon-Ribadeo-SdC) - just find a wifi connection. It's a handy back-up. You'll be carrying your phone anyway. And use a Bible app too if you can; YouVersion lets you download a number of versions so it'll always be there.

You'll possibly need to carry more than a snack/granola bar as emergency fuel as some stages are quite remote. 15-20km without a cafe/town/church happens more than once if you follow the standard stages, and (possibly also due to the rain) I only encountered 2 donativo stalls on the entire 32 day walk from France to Fisterre - don't count on them but celebrate then when they're there.

Only 1 pair of socks, undies and bra? I would recommend carrying at least 2 of each.
And you've forgotten sunscreen.

Sorry about the essay! But hope it helps. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sunscreen? Does your facial lotion have this built it?

Nyquil - does this serve an actual purpose or is it "in case"?

You have shampoo and conditioner and facial scrub. Consider combining / condensing these. The liquid in them adds weight. Lots of threads with discussions on that.

Happy planning
Yes, Built in sunscreen.

Nyquil - yes. As soon as I feel a sore throat come on, I take it and it wipes out any chance of getting "The Camino Cough" so to speak. I don't travel without it, it works really well for me. I only pack a few doses worth.

I could look for a shampoo and conditioner combo but at my age, my skin and hair react better to some products then others, they must stay maintained, at my age. They say the 50's are the new 40's and I have to agree. ;) these are all small travel size containers and the weight will reduce as I use. We are talking 3 0Z each. except scrub - it's less.

I might get a smaller backpack - I have the Osprey Kestrel 38. I'm thinking it's too big.

Thank you for your feedback and well wishes.

I did the CdN July-August last year - and LOVED it. I'm looking forward to my partial CF next year, but I know I'll be back to the Norte soon. I just miss it. So I'm super excited for you that you're giving this one a try!

I carried a little more than you did and there isn't a single item I regret carrying (yes, not even the sarong that I used as a dress/blanket/ocean swim towel or the knife and fold-up tupperware!). You're an experienced pilgrim, so you will know best whether wear-one-pack-one is best for you, but if I understand your post right, you're taking only two changes total. I would at least add a light sleeping layer if you can; mine came in at 140g more and it was more than worth it. From what I've heard about the Frances, the Norte albergues are generally smaller and often more rustic (particularly after Gijon). You'll want to be comfortable when you can - evening/sleep clothes help. It'll also mean you have something dry and 'clean' if you happen to have two sets of wet clothes due to rain/laundry difficulties. It happens....

It rained more than half of my Camino (only clearing significantly after we left the coast!); the year before a friend did it in May and she had only 2 days of rain in the 33 she was out there. Weatherwise, the Norte is much less predictable than the Frances, for example, and you should both be physically and mentally prepared for that. I recommend a poncho even with the pack cover - this will keep your straps dry and stop water potentially flowing between your jacket and your pack. I got a great, light one from Decathlon. You'll also likely get less soaked than you would in a jacket if you're caught in a downpour, as it's better ventilated.

I wouldn't do it without trekking poles, particularly in the Basque country. You can always strap them to your back if you have a day when you'd rather walk without them. The ball cap is essential, for rain and sun. I ended up dumping my sunglasses and just using the cap after 2.5 weeks. I had a bandana/buff that I doubled up on my wrist to wipe sweat and rain from my forehead - can only recommend you pick up a cheap one.

I used a silk sack and I was one of the only ones who did last summer. I hated it, and next time I'll take a 10-15°C bag. It wasn't quite warm enough on a few nights (and I'm a warm sleeper) and I didn't know how much the feeling of the silk on my atypically dry feet and skin would bother me. Be sure this is the direction you want to go before you commit to it. The rain/ocean will chill you and a warm shower is not guaranteed on the Norte. I would also recommend a small tub of nivea cream or vaseline unless you're sure you sure you don't need them, and 1+ compeed and a needle, just in case.

From one long-haired lady to another (bra + eyeliner, I'm making assumptions here ;) ), ditch the bottled haircare and get some shampoo/conditioner bars. I used a lush one (shamp+cond together) with a round storage tub; I could actually have easily only taken half of it and it worked as body wash too. Wasn't the hair smell or texture I was used to but it was super light and easy for daily use, and I never had to worry about finding replacements on the Way. I also took along an eyeliner - wore it only 5-6 times but on those days I just wanted to wear it for me. Would do it again ;)

Unless you're attached to a guidebook, I'd say use an app instead. Less weight, less hassle. My tip to anyone is also to download the google maps for each major stop to major stop stretch (Irun-Bilbao-Santander-Gijon-Ribadeo-SdC) - just find a wifi connection. It's a handy back-up. You'll be carrying your phone anyway. And use a Bible app too if you can; YouVersion lets you download a number of versions so it'll always be there.

You'll possibly need to carry more than a snack/granola bar as emergency fuel as some stages are quite remote. 15-20km without a cafe/town/church happens more than once if you follow the standard stages, and (possibly also due to the rain) I only encountered 2 donativo stalls on the entire 32 day walk from France to Fisterre - don't count on them but celebrate then when they're there.

Only 1 pair of socks, undies and bra? I would recommend carrying at least 2 of each.
And you've forgotten sunscreen.

Sorry about the essay! But hope it helps. Buen Camino!
You guessed it, I’m a lady. LOL

Oh yes the sarong.....I loved it on the Frances (I might consider it again) But I’d rather do sleep ware first. I really need to keep pack as light as possible due to lower back.

I have a buff and will be taking it. i forgot to mention it because I’ll be wearing it.

Of course I am praying for little rain but will most likely add a cheap poncho to cover me and my pack.

I have a nice sleeping bag I used on both CF’s but was hoping to do with just a liner that comes with a down blanket (these are custom made and weigh less then bag and less bulky) i never used a liner before but might try it for the reduced weight.

I just can’t compromise on the hair and facial products. This is my luxury.

I like the idea on using an app instead of guide book but will take my small Bible. I love the feel of the onion skin pages and the Word feels more alive to me when holding the Bible. It’s a small bible like the size of a cell phone. It will be in my fanny pack.

I will consider 3 pair socks and 3 undies in total. 1 wear, 2 pack.

I appreciate all your suggestions and I can feel your excitement. What part of the CF will you do?

Last edited:
It seems I will have to say NAY to the umbrella. I received it today and was surprised to see it doesn’t retract, is not compact by no means. I’m sure it’s great especially for the heat but seems more cumbersome then not. I’ll just have to rough it like I did on the CF. LOL. Saves me weight and money.....can’t beat that. Now for the return label.

Oh yes the sarong.....I loved it on the Frances

Take the sarong and ditch the travel towel. You can use the sarong as your towel. That's what I took on the Norte, and it worked well until I left it behind in an albergue. :(

It seems I will have to say NAY to the umbrella. I received it today and was surprised to see it doesn’t retract, is not compact by no means

Did you get the telescoping model? It's not super small, but does compact. I brought a lighter weight non-handsfree umbrella - the Light Trek Ultra, which is much smaller and lighter. I rigged up attachments out of velcro, but it didn't work as well, and wasn't as easy to deploy as the hands free model. That said, I didn't use it nearly as much on the Norte as on the Frances. I think that I will adapt the attachments that came with the handsfree model to fit the smaller shaft of the lightweight one for my next Camino.

You guessed it, I’m a lady. LOL

Oh yes the sarong.....I loved it on the Frances (I might consider it again) But I’d rather do sleep ware first. I really need to keep pack as light as possible due to lower back.

I have a buff and will be taking it. i forgot to mention it because I’ll be wearing it.

Of course I am praying for little rain but will most likely add a cheap poncho to cover me and my pack.

I have a nice sleeping bag I used on both CF’s but was hoping to do with just a liner that comes with a down blanket (these are custom made and weigh less then bag and less bulky) i never used a liner before but might try it for the reduced weight.

I just can’t compromise on the hair and facial products. This is my luxury.

I like the idea on using an app instead of guide book but will take my small Bible. I love the feel of the onion skin pages and the Word feels more alive to me when holding the Bible. It’s a small bible like the size of a cell phone. It will be in my fanny pack.

I will consider 3 pair socks and 3 undies in total. 1 wear, 2 pack.

I appreciate all your suggestions and I can feel your excitement. What part of the CF will you do?
Only other suggestions I have are a headlight/flashlight, compeed and moleskin

My thoughts, anything unmentioned is a yes.

hands free umbrella for rain/hot sun yes

1 socks - Take 3 including the pair you are wearing, same for undies
1 undies

I have pack cover so leaning towards the wind/rain jacket just incase the temps drop Yes
silk sleepsac with pillow case - no, take down quilt

conditioner Buy on Norte if you decide it is mandatory
deodorant No - if body wash works, shouldn't need this
facial scrub No - not much time for all this prep work

guide book - also have wise pilgrim Norte app, and if possible, guide book on Kindle in case you lose hard copy

phone charger, European outlet adaptor,

eye liner - A possible irritant - why take the risk

My Norte Packlist: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TIO-Uant4ULke420zos-fcymExxO8f3WD-i4i0uHEbk/edit?usp=sharing

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Only other suggestions I have are a headlight/flashlight, compeed and moleskin
I have a headlamp but will most likely leave it behind and utilize the flashlight in my phone if need be. There is plenty of daylight in the summer months.

On both CF’s I was blessed with no blisters but will consider moleskin. I heard compeed is a horrible mess.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

My thoughts, anything unmentioned is a yes.

hands free umbrella for rain/hot sun yes

1 socks - Take 3 including the pair you are wearing, same for undies
1 undies

I have pack cover so leaning towards the wind/rain jacket just incase the temps drop Yes
silk sleepsac with pillow case - no, take down quilt

conditioner Buy on Norte if you decide it is mandatory
deodorant No - if body wash works, shouldn't need this
facial scrub No - not much time for all this prep work

guide book - also have wise pilgrim Norte app, and if possible, guide book on Kindle in case you lose hard copy

phone charger, European outlet adaptor,

eye liner - A possible irritant - why take the risk

My Norte Packlist: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TIO-Uant4ULke420zos-fcymExxO8f3WD-i4i0uHEbk/edit?usp=sharing
You’re so kind to offer critique.

I will take extra pair of undies and socks.
Still not sure about the umbrella. I survived CF in the heat and rain. I really do need to keep it light.

Wind/Rain jacket, yes I will bring it.

The sleepsac I am considering comes with a small down blanket to slip inside. 14.6 oz for both.
I have a Mountain Hardware down flip 35/50 F sleeping bag that weighs 1lb 12oz. Would you take it over the sleep-sac and down blanket? If so, why?

Conditioner - mandatory
Deodorant - I tried to go without on my first CF, I had to purchase after 5 days.
Facial Scrub - always time for health and beauty. I do this once every three days or so during my nighttime brushing teeth routine. It’s such a small amount, worth it.

Will get the Wise Pilgrim App
Don’t have nor would I carry a Kindle.

Yes European charger I forgot to list.

Do you know nothing about a woman. LOL :) Hahahaha!
Eyeliner makes me feel good. Has never been an irritant. Not for everyday use, just because.

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will take extra pair of undies and socks.
Still not sure about the umbrella. I survived CF in the heat and rain. I really do need to keep it light.
I found the umbrella a lot less useful on the Norte than the Frances, mostly because I used it on the Frances for sun protection, and there is a lot more shade on the Norte. I would probably still take my new ultralight umbrella on the Norte again though.
The sleepsac I am considering comes with a small down blanket to slip inside.
I have a Mountain Hardware down flip 35/50 F sleeping bag that weighs 1lb 12oz. Would you take it over the sleepsac?
Of course I think that the sleep sack and down blanket will work better - and save you almost a pound in weight.
Eyeliner makes me feel good. Has never been an irritant. Not for everyday use, just because.
I bring mascara for the same reason!

As far as hair care goes, after my first Camino I totally switched to bar shampoo. I also have long hair, that's wavy/curly/frizzy. My hair is so much smoother and healthier looking using the bar shampoo. I also have a solid conditioner bar, but honestly, my hair does fine without it. I can easily comb through it with a wide tooth comb in the shower. Then I put my hair up in my Buff while I get dressed. I used to have to use tons of conditioner. I don't use the soap based shampoo bars like Liggets, which really dry my hair. I buy mine from a couple of different Etsy shops, and they have all been good. You might want to give it a try before the Camino. I use the shampoo bar for my body too.

Take the sarong and ditch the travel towel. You can use the sarong as your towel. That's what I took on the Norte, and it worked well until I left it behind in an albergue. :(

Did you get the telescoping model? It's not super small, but does compact. I brought a lighter weight non-handsfree umbrella - the Light Trek Ultra, which is much smaller and lighter. I rigged up attachments out of velcro, but it didn't work as well, and wasn't as easy to deploy as the hands free model. That said, I didn't use it nearly as much on the Norte as on the Frances. I think that I will adapt the attachments that came with the handsfree model to fit the smaller shaft of the lightweight one for my next Camino.

I really loved my sarong.....so many uses. Will definitely consider using it as a towel too.

I think I’m just going to go without the umbrella. Saves me $60 and extra weight. I have a pretty good system for the rain and the heat/sun.....Well, I’ll just get through it as I did before. Thanks though.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I found the umbrella a lot less useful on the Norte than the Frances, mostly because I used it on the Frances for sun protection, and there is a lot more shade on the Norte. I would probably still take my new ultralight umbrella on the Norte again though.

Of course I think that the sleep sack and down blanket will work better - and save you almost a pound in weight.

I bring mascara for the same reason!

As far as hair care goes, after my first Camino I totally switched to bar shampoo. I also have long hair, that's wavy/curly/frizzy. My hair is so much smoother and healthier looking using the bar shampoo. I also have a solid conditioner bar, but honestly, my hair does fine without it. I can easily comb through it with a wide tooth comb in the shower. Then I put my hair up in my Buff while I get dressed. I used to have to use tons of conditioner. I don't use the soap based shampoo bars like Liggets, which really dry my hair. I buy mine from a couple of different Etsy shops, and they have all been good. You might want to give it a try before the Camino. I use the shampoo bar for my body too.
Will you send me a pic of the down blanket? I know the weight is about a pound less. I like that.

I’ll research the bar shampoo and conditioner. You say Etsy has them. Any particular kind you like best? Fragrance? Ingredients?

Will you send me a pic of the down blanket? I know the weight is about a pound less. I like that.

I’ll research the bar shampoo and conditioner. You say Etsy has them. Any particular kind you like best? Fragrance? Ingredients?
These are the Etsy shops that I've bought the shampoo bars from: https://www.etsy.com/listing/68495093/hair-care-that-rocks-n-rolls-solid?ref=user_profile&frs=1
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ScenterSquare?ref=shop_sugg&section_id=11560472
And this is where I bought the conditioner bar, which lasts forever. I cut mine in half for the Camino https://www.etsy.com/listing/189275869/solid-conditioner-bar-argan-oil-shea?ref=user_profile&bes=1
I'll send you a picture of the blanket

These are the Etsy shops that I've bought the shampoo bars from: https://www.etsy.com/listing/68495093/hair-care-that-rocks-n-rolls-solid?ref=user_profile&frs=1
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ScenterSquare?ref=shop_sugg&section_id=11560472
And this is where I bought the conditioner bar, which lasts forever. I cut mine in half for the Camino https://www.etsy.com/listing/189275869/solid-conditioner-bar-argan-oil-shea?ref=user_profile&bes=1
I'll send you a picture of the blanket
I was just looking at the rock and roll Lather Up site. My hair is already silky smooth and soft. I’m so reluctant to try something new and these aren’t cheap. Will think about it. Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You don't need to spend money on a European charger just get an adapter they are cheap and work just fine. I wear an Outdoor Research Sun Runner Cap. It has a removable skirt that protects your face and neck. It was really sunny for the first half of my Camino Norte this fall. I don't know when you are leaving but I doubt it will be cold. The last couple of weeks at the end of October it was really cold. In fact it was colder in a few of the albergues at night than it was outside! I just have a sleep sac and I was fine most of the way. Later on all the allergies had blankets so I was fine, although a few nights I slept in all my clothes.

You don't need to spend money on a European charger just get an adapter they are cheap and work just fine. I wear an Outdoor Research Sun Runner Cap. It has a removable skirt that protects your face and neck. It was really sunny for the first half of my Camino Norte this fall. I don't know when you are leaving but I doubt it will be cold. The last couple of weeks at the end of October it was really cold. In fact it was colder in a few of the albergues at night than it was outside! I just have a sleep sac and I was fine most of the way. Later on all the allergies had blankets so I was fine, although a few nights I slept in all my clothes.
Right, I already have an adapter. Did I say charger? Not what I meant :) I usually wear a buff around my neck to protect it from the sun and my cap has a nice visor for protection. I am going in summer and will most likely take the sleep sac. It will also save me a pound in weight. If I take the sleeping bag, I’m afraid I’d be too hot most nights. Thanks so much. I’m feeling excited today. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is what I am hoping/planning to take on my Summer del Norte.

Please offer any suggests or give me the thumbs up...........:)

Clothes (wear one, pack one)
I will wear a ball cap for shade and keeps rain off face
sunglasses
trekking poles
hands free umbrella for rain/hot sun (yeah or nay)

1 short sleeve
1 running shorts (has handy pocket on leg for cell phone)
1 socks
1 undies
1 bra
2 coolmax sleeves with thumb holes (trying something new) takes place of long sleeve shirt.

wind/rain jacket or poncho (haven't decided yet)
I have pack cover so leaning towards the wind/rain jacket just incase the temps drop (Yeah or nay)

silk sleepsac with pillow case
travel towel
flip flops
ziplock for moneybelt

shampoo
conditioner (hair is long)
travel hair brush
body wash/laundry soap
deodorant
facial scrub
facial lotion (olay)
toothbrush
toothpaste
floss

Advil regular and PM
Nyquil gel caps
earplugs

pilgrim passport
guide book

water/snack

phone charger
chapstick
eye liner
gum
money for the day
small Bible

I will wear a money belt

Okay so I hope to stick with this list - I hope that's it (it still seems like too much)

Third Camino is the charm - in more ways then one - right?

:)
I'd add a swimsuit or make sure some of your clothes can double as swimwear....maybe your running shorts and a sports bra that can dry quickly. I loved the beaches on the Norte and many albergues are within walking distance. You might also want to consider a hat that will offer a bit of shade for your ears as the sun can easily "fry" them.

I took an umbrella on the Norte and used it, but we were walking very early in the spring and rain was inevitable. It was too cold to swim although I did have a swimsuit with me (always the optimist).

Right, I already have an adapter. Did I say charger? Not what I meant :) I usually wear a buff around my neck to protect it from the sun and my cap has a nice visor for protection. I am going in summer and will most likely take the sleep sac. It will also save me a pound in weight. If I take the sleeping bag, I’m afraid I’d be too hot most nights. Thanks so much. I’m feeling excited today. :)
I have only used a sleep sack on all 4 of my Caminós and I always start around the 3rd week of September. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I do regular day hiking trips in the forest back at home. Sometimes some weekly trips as well. So I had some basic idea, what one might need during Camino.
I am a person who likes some comfort, so my packing list is quite long. But at the same time I like to hike light.
In the beginning of this year, when I was planning my first Camino del Norte, I was very happy, then I found packing list by Simon Wijma: packing-list-camino-spain-april-october.41855. Thank you so much, Simon!
For me it worked very well in general. I did only some minor adjustments.
In the summer 2019 I am planning to do Camino Norte no.2 (In the summer 2018 I had knee problem and I only did half of it) and I’ll do just minor adjustments comparing to, what I had last summer.
My packing list:
1. Things to wear, when the wether is nice:
  • Underwear (briefs)
  • Light Convertible Trousers with one zip pocket (usually lower legs zipped off)
  • Short Sleeve Run T Shirt
  • Lorpen Coolmax Light Hiker socks
  • Running shoes Salomon Speedcross 4 (next year will be waking shoes Salomon XA GTX)
  • Apple iPhone in carry case holding bank card, ID card and European Health Insurance Card in trousers zipped pocket
  • Asphalt pads for hiking poles in the other trousers pocket while not in use
  • Fitness tracker Polar 360 on my wrist
2. Things to put into Running Belt
  • Runners Sunglasses while not in use
  • Ear plugs
  • Foldable mug
  • Pocket knife Victorinox
  • Plastic fork/spoon/knife
  • Money for current day
  • Pone adapter and wires
  • Very small reading classes in carry case (in dim light one in my age sometimes needs them)
  • Sports gloves Nike while not in use
3. Things in my backpack
  • Running shorts
  • Underwear 2 pairs (briefs)
  • Short Sleeve Run T Shirts 2 pairs
  • Lorpen Coolmax Light Hiker socks 2 pairs
  • Light fleece
  • Swimsuit
  • Lower legs for Convertibel Trousers
  • Everlast Massage Sliders
  • Buff
  • Rain jacket
  • Rain pants
  • Gaters
  • Long sleeved thermal zip top
  • Thermal leggings
  • Light thermal hat
  • Hiking poles fastened to backpack while not in use
  • Sleeping bag Ferrino Lightec 550g
  • Sleeping bag liner Ferrino Mummy 110g
  • Gelert Soft Fiber Travel Towel
  • Dry bag XXS size
  • Pocket size standard first aid kit
  • Medicine (vaseline, iodine, ibuprofen, emphasis)
  • Purse with some money and spare bank cards
  • Pilgrims passport
  • Very light small backpack
  • Bottle for drinking water Lifestraw 650ml fastened to shoulder strap of the backpack on my hip
  • Toilet paper, inner tube taken off
  • Sun cream
  • Piece of soap and small microfiber cloth in small plastic container
  • Kids toothbrush
  • Kids toothpaste
  • Kids shampoo (for hair and laundry)
  • Shaving kit
  • Small Shaving gel
  • Pen
  • Mountain whistle
  • Small scissors
  • Nail cutters
  • Safety pins
  • Small cable ties
  • Small massage ball
  • Folding sit mat
My backpack is Vaude Vizard 18+4 litres. It has raincap.
Yes, everything fits in. And where is still some space left for snacks.
My backpack weights 6,4 kg without water and snacks. So no weight or size are problem with airlines.
All my stuff together is 8 kg.
To transport my hiking poles and liquids (creams, toothpaste, shampoo etc) on planes, I used and will use again Badminton Racket bag by Carlton. It was and will be my giveaway luggage. In case flight company will loose my luggage, all the items are easy to replace.
I am more rain jacket plus rain pants person. And when the wether is chilly while raining, I am using thermal underwear and thermal cap. Last summer I didn’t have thermal underwear with me. That is the reason, I had to give up my Norte.
I tried to sleep using only sleeping bag liner but for me it didn’t work out even on Meseta on the Frances last summer. My tired feet must be really warm while sleeping.
I like all the time to know, where I am, so I am using some navigation app while hiking.
Fitness trackers main use during Camino is to use it as watch and alarm clock. So my phone is all the time in silent mode. Even back at home it’s on the silent mode. Fitness tracker alerts me, then there is incoming call, new message or e-mail. Why to make noises?
Running shoes are good and have very good grip, but will wear out rather quick. Next summer I will try hiking shoes.
Massage Sliders are very good to flex feet soles. I used and will be using them on the evenings.
I already had Lifestraw water bottle for hiking. Why not to take it? Less problems with drinkable water.

Besides a tiny squeeze flashlight, I strongly suggest solid shampoo and conditioner bars. Small ones will last the whole walk. No liquid to spill and, on top of all that, they make your hair feel more wonderful than any liquid shampoo or conditioner ever has. (I'm not talking about using regular soap on your hair.. this is a specialized product). I make my own and use it all the time; not just when I'm traveling. Great stuff and especially great for travel.

I would lean more towards the poncho as it does not cling close to the body, (It breathes) covers your pack, has an integrated hood (No neck exposure), can be shaken dry, does not retain water, easy to fold up (Bundle) and provides some simultaneous mid body coverage as well.
I did the CDN this last July/August and needed it about every 2-3 days. Stayed dry and no problems. Just my opinion though..........

One other item....It can also double for a bed/floor liner if you needed it as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would lean more towards the poncho as it does not cling close to the body, (It breathes) covers your pack, has an integrated hood (No neck exposure), can be shaken dry, does not retain water, easy to fold up (Bundle) and provides some simultaneous mid body coverage as well.
I did the CDN this last July/August and needed it about every 2-3 days. Stayed dry and no problems. Just my opinion though..........

One other item....It can also double for a bed/floor liner if you needed it as well.
Hey Bob from L.A. I am originally from SoCal, OC and L.A. area. I miss it.

I like the poncho option, I used one on the CF. Did it get cold at all during your summer CDN (meaning Camino del Norte, right) ? Was there a race for beds? I will be staying in albergues mostly. I'm so nervous, yet excited too.

Thanks,
Angela

Hey Bob from L.A. I am originally from SoCal, OC and L.A. area. I miss it.

I like the poncho option, I used one on the CF. Did it get cold at all during your summer CDN (meaning Camino del Norte, right) ? Was there a race for beds? I will be staying in albergues mostly. I'm so nervous, yet excited too.

Thanks,
Angela
I walked the Norte this summer, and while there was a lot of rain, I was never cold.
There was more of a race for beds than I experienced on the Frances. There are more pilgrims in the summer, and much fewer albergues compared to the Frances. Many of them are also quite small.

I walked the Norte this summer, and while there was a lot of rain, I was never cold.
There was more of a race for beds than I experienced on the Frances. There are more pilgrims in the summer, and much fewer albergues compared to the Frances. Many of them are also quite small.
Darn it..........I know summer is busy season but I really don't want to race for a bed but can't afford much more then the albergue........hmmm

I am giving myself plenty of time so may have to stop more often, go off stages so to speak. :rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Darn it..........I know summer is busy season but I really don't want to race for a bed but can't afford much more then the albergue........hmmm

I am giving myself plenty of time so may have to stop more often, go off stages so to speak. :rolleyes:
Don't worry. I think that it just requires a bit more planning than the Frances. Lots of people that I met along the way only stayed in albergues. Some did have to sleep on the floor, but they were accommodated. One place that was tricky was Ribadesella - the youth hostel there has been taken over by a surf school in the summer which was fully booked out. But a little more than 5 km is a large albergue in San Esteban de Leces. I stayed at a hotel in Ribadesella, but a lot of people walked on to San Esteban. I had already walked over 30 km in the rain so I was happy to have the reservation. In my guide there's a warning to bring food to the albergue in San Esteban as there are no stores nearby, but I heard that some pilgrims called and had pizza delivered!

Don't worry. I think that it just requires a bit more planning than the Frances. Lots of people that I met along the way only stayed in albergues. Some did have to sleep on the floor, but they were accommodated. One place that was tricky was Ribadesella - the youth hostel there has been taken over by a surf school in the summer which was fully booked out. But a little more than 5 km is a large albergue in San Esteban de Leces. I stayed at a hotel in Ribadesella, but a lot of people walked on to San Esteban. I had already walked over 30 km in the rain so I was happy to have the reservation. In my guide there's a warning to bring food to the albergue in San Esteban as there are no stores nearby, but I heard that some pilgrims called and had pizza delivered!
Oh thanks! Whew!

I am not a competitive person by nature, I just hate the feeling of having to race for a bed. I want to just let go and let the Camino provide. Even though I felt the need to race on my first CF from time to time, I always got a bed. Sometimes the last bed, now that can be a perk of walking solo.

Nothing wrong with a good hot ooey gooey pizza after a long walk on the way. Yummm

Trecile is correct. There was lots of rain. No race for beds. Weather was rainy, warm and at times even humid. Ala in all it was beautiful though............

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What part of the CF will you do?

Totally OT, but probably starting in Burgos, as I only have about 3 weeks. Apparently, I "have to walk the Meseta" - quite honestly I'm still not sure I won't end up skipping ahead to Leon so I can walk to the ocean at the end... ;)

I will second all this; if you are willing to sleep anywhere, you'll always find somewhere. Ribadesella is a tough one but San Esteban was a great night's stay - and there are supermarkets right before you leave town where you can grab some food (and there is a full kitchen up at S.Est., which isn't always the case on the CdN). We had the best Shakshuka I have ever eaten up there and the sunrise the next morning as you walk down the hill and hit the beach early is glorious!

I will add a caution for the 2 days out of Bilbao too (Portugalete-Pobena-Castro) though. If you stay in the Municipal on the far side of Bilbao, the stage to Portugalete feels really short. A lot of us decided to walk to Pobena instead, and it turned out that the double the number of people that the Albergue could cater for pitched up that day before 2.30pm. ARRIVE relatively EARLY. Walking to Castro after that was just too much, but since the town is on the coast, there was no hotel options. We ended up sleeping in wet tents on the lawn or the lucky ones who arrived even later could sleep on the stone floor of the church (sans mattresses...). The next day we were up early while it rained cats and dogs, and we arrived at Castro before 10 and called it a day ;)

And either book ahead in Ribadeo or plan to walk Tapia to Vilela. The camino will provide. It just might only be a fun adventure in hindsight ;)

God willing, I will be walking mid July to mid Aug 2019 from Hendaye.

Here is my 4.5 kg pack (before food & water) plus the clothes on me, please critique:

On me:
rain jacket
shirt - merino short sleeved
skirt - macabi
underwear
socks
sports bra
merino buff
1/2 UV buff
shoes
hair clip
glasses
bit of $$ in pocket
cicerone guidebook in other pocket
short gaiters

In Gregory Z30:
Light purse containing: credential, cash, debit card, visa card, health insurance card, clip sunglasses, glasses wiper, journal, pen with duct tape, New Testament, 8 hair elastics, camp TP, passport, 5 tampons, USB NA/Europe splitter, phone, earbuds, house key, 8 safety pins, 2 ziplock, SPF chapstick
rain cover
mesh bag
3 dry bags
sleeping bag with inflatable pillow
4 ear plugs
cloth grocery bag
2 merino shirts - 1 long sleeved with hood, 1 tank
running tights
shorts
sports bra, normal bra
2 socks
2 underwear
deodorant
2 lush solid shampoo
2 dye conditioner
travel hairbrush
kid toothbrush
travel toothpaste
travel sunscreen - 50 SPF
dry detergent
tevas
dry envelope
spork
swiss army card
hiking poles
water bladder
metal cup
nail clippers
6 Via instant coffee
deck of cards
med kit: 2 band aides, KT tape, 1 sheet moleskin, needle, 1 m thread, 10 ibuprophen, 10 gravol, 3 rehydration salts, 3 alcohol wipes, Neopsorin, Afterbite, tweezers

Thanks! Leigh

God willing, I will be walking mid July to mid Aug 2019 from Hendaye.

Here is my 4.5 kg pack (before food & water) plus the clothes on me, please critique:

On me:
rain jacket
shirt - merino short sleeved
skirt - macabi
underwear
socks
sports bra
merino buff
1/2 UV buff
shoes
hair clip
glasses
bit of $$ in pocket
cicerone guidebook in other pocket
short gaiters

In Gregory Z30:
Light purse containing: credential, cash, debit card, visa card, health insurance card, clip sunglasses, glasses wiper, journal, pen with duct tape, New Testament, 8 hair elastics, camp TP, passport, 5 tampons, USB NA/Europe splitter, phone, earbuds, house key, 8 safety pins, 2 ziplock, SPF chapstick
rain cover
mesh bag
3 dry bags
sleeping bag with inflatable pillow
4 ear plugs
cloth grocery bag
2 merino shirts - 1 long sleeved with hood, 1 tank
running tights
shorts
sports bra, normal bra
2 socks
2 underwear
deodorant
2 lush solid shampoo
2 dye conditioner
travel hairbrush
kid toothbrush
travel toothpaste
travel sunscreen - 50 SPF
dry detergent
tevas
dry envelope
spork
swiss army card
hiking poles
water bladder
metal cup
nail clippers
6 Via instant coffee
deck of cards
med kit: 2 band aides, KT tape, 1 sheet moleskin, needle, 1 m thread, 10 ibuprophen, 10 gravol, 3 rehydration salts, 3 alcohol wipes, Neopsorin, Afterbite, tweezers

Thanks! Leigh

Your kit looks fine. It looks like you wear your rain jacket while walking; is this even when it is dry out?

You have KT tape which is used as a musculoskeletal adjunct. I would also include something like Leukotape P or Omnifix tape for hotspots and as a supplement to the moleskin if needed for additional securement.

Needle AND thread . . . if the thread is for blister treatment consider NOT using it for that application as it is risking infection. If it for sewing, then ignore what I just wrote :)

Your kit looks fine. It looks like you wear your rain jacket while walking; is this even when it is dry out?

You have KT tape which is used as a musculoskeletal adjunct. I would also include something like Leukotape P or Omnifix tape for hotspots and as a supplement to the moleskin if needed for additional securement.

Needle AND thread . . . if the thread is for blister treatment consider NOT using it for that application as it is risking infection. If it for sewing, then ignore what I just wrote :)
Thanks davebugg!

1) the jacket - 1st camino I wore UA heatwear x 2 to avoid the sun and associated lotion. And almost froze a few mornings/evenings and brought no rain gear so I was occasionally also soaked. 2nd camino I found the open jacket (feels like a windbreaker despite being waterproof) with an additional merino top was a better combo for me.

2) I agree, I just had to stick it somewhere. It and the duct tape are for gear repair only. I have been fortunate enough to only have 1 blister in the last 10 years of hiking. It was from a long, long, long walk out of Lisbon to VFdX in 40+C and was between 2 toes. I pray my good fortune continues, hence the lack of Leukotape.

Thanks davebugg!

1) the jacket - 1st camino I wore UA heatwear x 2 to avoid the sun and associated lotion. And almost froze a few mornings/evenings and brought no rain gear so I was occasionally also soaked. 2nd camino I found the open jacket (feels like a windbreaker despite being waterproof) with an additional merino top was a better combo for me.

2) I agree, I just had to stick it somewhere. It and the duct tape are for gear repair only. I have been fortunate enough to only have 1 blister in the last 10 years of hiking. It was from a long, long, long walk out of Lisbon to VFdX in 40+C and was between 2 toes. I pray my good fortune continues, hence the lack of Leukotape.

Even though I don't blister, I always carry a yard or two of a barrier tape like Leukotape. If a hotspot develops, I am prepared to address it. If it doesn't get used, no biggie as the weight is less than 0.09 ounce. But then again, the moleskin will also work as a hotspot barrier, too.

Hi Leigh
Looks good.
I would "think" twice about the water bladder. Water is quite plentiful and a plastic bottle (which can fit in your pocket) can assist you in alleviating weight. Just my thoughts and it worked well for me for 6 weeks last summer.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Leigh
Looks good.
I would "think" twice about the water bladder. Water is quite plentiful and a plastic bottle (which can fit in your pocket) can assist you in alleviating weight. Just my thoughts and it worked well for me for 6 weeks last summer.

:) Why would a water reservoir/bladder make controlling water weight easier?

Usually bladders come in 50-100 liter sizes (weight) where a 12 oz plastic bottle can be refilled repeatedly throughout the day (as needed)

Usually bladders come in 50-100 liter sizes (weight) where a 12 oz plastic bottle can be refilled repeatedly throughout the day (as needed)

That is true. If one fills to capacity that can be extra weight not needed. One definitely doesn't want to lug around extra water weight :)

I always council those who choose to use hydration bladders to fill appropriate to the next water source. So although my reservoir has a 2 liter capacity, I only fill it with 1/2 to 1 liter at a time on Camino for most stretches. I use a quick disconnect on the feed tube so that refilling doesn't require backpack removal, or if taking a rest break, the removal of the bladder.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.