• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My packing list - Seeking for Advices

nailuj

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Norte & Primitivo (August to September 2018)
? Camino de Norte & Primitivo (June 2019) ?
Hello, I finally finished gathering all the stuff I think I need for the Camino. Below you can find my packing list and it would be really helpful if you have any advices or think I am missing something.
I'm starting next wednesday on 21st of August in Biarritz.

Packing List:
Transport and Sleeping:
Backpack (45 L) - 1650g
Sleeping Bag - 768g
Beltbag - 112g
-------> 2530g

Clothing:
T-Shirt - 100g
T-Shirt - 110g
2x Hiking Socks - 60g
Hiking-Pants (Zip-off) - 240g
Rainpants - 172g
Belt - 52g
Beanie - 70g
Fleece jacket - 330g
Short Jogging Pants (for Sleeping and etc.) - 230g
T-Shirt (sleeping) - 124g
Running Socks (propably gonna use them as a second sock layer) - 42g
Rain Jacket - 424g
Sandals - 514g
Cap - 74g
-------> 2542 g

Hygiene:
Sun Cream - 226g
Tooth Brush, Tooth Paste - 120g
Shower Gel (washing, showering etc) - 210g
Towel - 178g
-------> 734g

Meds:
Plasters - 25g
Compeed Set - 20g
Zinc Oxide Ointment - 120g
Deer Tallow Creme - 110g
Medical Tape - 72g
Ohropax - 34g
-------> 381g

Electronics:
Headlamp - 85g
Phone - 170g
Charger - 70g
E-Reader - 286g
(Powerbank - 280g)
-------> 611g (891g)

Documents and other stuff:
Documents - 200g
Wallet - 190g
Spork - 82g
Sun Glasses - 72g
Carabiner - 52g
Headphones - 16g
Guide Book - 310g
-------> 922g
=======
Sum: 7720g

That's 7,7 kilograms excluding water and food. I feel like this is going to be way to heavy. :/
Is there anything I should really drop or something I should add to this list?
I'll propably change the Rain Jacket for a lighter one which reduces the overall weight by 200g.

Best Regards,
Julian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I personally would eliminate the Rain Pants...I've found in hot weather ( which will be the case in August ) , you would sweat more/roast in rain gear. Pants were dripping on the inside and defeating their main purpose. I opted to wear my quickest drying shorts on rainy days and my Altus poncho ( just a rain jacket on some caminos ). If it were a different season and really cold freezing rain would be expected, the pants might be wise, but would reconsider for August. Buen Camino !

*** would also consider leaving eReader and use a phone app if necessary and possible.

*** consider too, some of this you may be wearing and not actually carrying? Or do you have even more to add to list?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are all set! Might I suggest if you have an iPhone, you simply can use the flashlight instead of a headlamp? I too, brought along a spork and found zero use for it.

Also, I didn't see trekking poles, a must for downhill, but you can always purchase in St. Jean Pied de Port.

Buen Camino!!

Hello, I finally finished gathering all the stuff I think I need for the Camino. Below you can find my packing list and it would be really helpful if you have any advices or think I am missing something.

Packing List:
Transport and Sleeping:
Backpack (45 L) - 1650g
Sleeping Bag - 768g
Beltbag - 112g
-------> 2530g

Clothing:
T-Shirt - 100g
T-Shirt - 110g
2x Hiking Socks - 60g
Rainpants - 172g
Belt - 52g
Beanie - 70g
Fleece jacket - 330g
Rain Jacket - 424g
Sandals - 514g
Cap - 74g
-------> 2542 g

Hygiene:
Sun Cream - 226g
Towel - 178g
-------> 734g

Meds:
Plasters - 25g
Compeed Set - 20g
Deer Tallow Creme - 110g
Medical Tape - 72g
Ohropax - 34g
-------> 381g

Electronics:
Headlamp - 85g
Phone - 170g
Charger - 70g
E-Reader - 286g
(Powerbank - 280g)
-------> 611g (891g)

Documents - 200g
Wallet - 190g
Spork - 82g
Sun Glasses - 72g
Carabiner - 52g
Headphones - 16g
Guide Book - 310g
-------> 922g
=======

That's 7,7 kilograms excluding water and food. I feel like this is going to be way to heavy. :/
I'll propably change the Rain Jacket for a lighter one which reduces the overall weight by 200g.

Best Regards,
Julian

Hi, Julian; and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

For your list, separate what you will be wearing while walking from what you will be carrying in you pack. Weigh your pack and it's contents separately.

You can eliminate the extra third shirt and pants for sleeping in, you already have two pairs of each which will work just fine. Leave the e-reader and get an e-reader app (like Kindle) on your phone.

The sleeping bag is pretty heavy for August. You can get by with a light sleeping bag liner.

You can reduce the weights of your toiletries by remembering that you can resupply the consumables while in Spain. Take stuff out of tubes and repackage smaller amounts in small plastic travel containers.

Unless you plan to travel in pitch darkness, the headlamp can be left out.

You can reduce your rain gear weight by using a poncho instead, which will also eliminate the weight of a rain cover for your pack.

If the sandals are for just shower time, shave half that weight off by getting lightweight flip flops. Plus, I never use different shoes for walking around in at the end of the day. The shoes I walk the Camino in are comfortable. I do carry an extra pair of 1 ounce insoles, and swap them out before I put my shoes back on in the evening for exploring the town and surroundings and go eat dinner. Just a thought.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for all feedback!
I'll propably ditch the rain jacket and the rain pants in favor of a poncho.
Another thing I ask myself is whether one light long pant and one short is enough or whether I should get another long pant? What if it rains all day?
And I'll leave the ereader at home, after thinking about it it really is unnecessary weight.
Also, are two shirts enough?
Thank you all! :)

Another thing I ask myself is whether one light long pant and one short is enough or whether I should get another long pant? What if it rains all day?
And I'll leave the ereader at home, after thinking about it it really is unnecessary weight.
I always take 2 extra of socks, t-shirts and underwear. I do laundry every other day. And one long pants (wear while walking) and one pair of shorts for evening.

Hi nailuj!

Two shirts can be enough. i had three (one for sleeping, like you, but that could double as walking shirt if necessary). But in that case, you ahve to ditch something else.

I agree in ditching the e-reader, the power bank, the headphones, the spork and changing rain pants/jacket for just a poncho.

And I'd add 3-4 safety pins. They can hold clothes in clothelines, tight ripped or large clothes and pin things to your backpack to dry.

But in general, the list is pretty good!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I only wear shorts when backpacking. If my legs get a bit damp it helps to keep me a bit cooler, and they easily dry off since bare legs are waterproof. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I will follow your advices.
An off topic question, I've heard and read that the first part of the Camino Norte is the toughest. Is there any way I should prepare for it and is it doable for someone who isn't used to walking 20km+ or should I rather take the train to Bilbao?

Going for walks around your place with your backpack on is the easiest way to prepare. Walk some hills is possible.

And remember: you DON´T have to walk 20km+ in a day. Out of Irun there is a city (around the airport) just 5-8km out of town, maybe you could stop there? And then is Passages, 12km ahead, on the next day? Go slowly. Stop when you feel like.

If you feel like stopping in a place where there is no accomodation, you can taxi back to some city, sleep, and then next morning you taxi to the point where you stopped to continue the pilgrimage :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you. I will follow your advices.
An off topic question, I've heard and read that the first part of the Camino Norte is the toughest. Is there any way I should prepare for it and is it doable for someone who isn't used to walking 20km+ or should I rather take the train to Bilbao?
Hi there nailuj, The Norte is beautiful from Irun to Bilbao and very doable! You can always find somewhere to stay around the 20K mark. we averaged 18k/day over 7weeks if you've got the time. Some days we did 24K but cut it down the next day....you can do it. From your pack list I suggest what davebugg said. His advice is always great. Buen Camino

I always take one long pants and two shorts. I've found that on some really wet treks the stuff simply did not dry overnight and I was glad to not have to put on damp/wet clothes to rest at night or begin my day. I also wanted the option of not having to do hand washing every single day if I was overtired. I'm most comfortable clean and dry, I do realize it's not a priority for all pilgrims. No indication of your gender by your name, have not noted undergarments/bras, nor shaving items in your list. I do bring 3 shirts total for the same reason as spare pants. All are very lightweight, no bulky cargo pants or shorts/ no heavy shirts.

You're going to make all of the right choices for you. BTW...I used my titanium spork every day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Reconsider the rain jacket it is multi use ponchos are limited.

Reconsider the rain jacket it is multi use ponchos are limited.

:)
Ponchos can be used as tarps, sit pads, serve as weather protection for self and pack, are effective as a windshell, can be put on and taken off without needing to remove one's pack or even stopping, have more air movement/ventilation to better keep soaking sweat at bay, block the sun, make a mattress, create a hammock, provide makeshift privacy screens for 'nature calls' or to change clothing, act as an emergency blanket, . . . . .

:)
Ponchos can be used as tarps, sit pads, serve as weather protection for self and pack, are effective as a windshell, can be put on and taken off without needing to remove one's pack or even stopping, have more air movement/ventilation to better keep soaking sweat at bay, block the sun, make a mattress, create a hammock, provide makeshift privacy screens for 'nature calls' or to change clothing, act as an emergency blanket, . . . . .

There are (at least) two sides to everything, it seems ... :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Packing List:
Transport and Sleeping:
Backpack (45 L) - 1650g
Sleeping Bag - 768g
Beltbag - 112g
-------> 2530g

Clothing:
T-Shirt - 100g
T-Shirt - 110g
2x Hiking Socks - 60g
Rainpants - 172g
Belt - 52g
Beanie - 70g
Fleece jacket - 330g
Rain Jacket - 424g
Sandals - 514g
Cap - 74g
-------> 2542 g

Hygiene:
Sun Cream - 226g
Towel - 178g
-------> 734g

Meds:
Plasters - 25g
Compeed Set - 20g
Deer Tallow Creme - 110g
Medical Tape - 72g
Ohropax - 34g
-------> 381g

Electronics:
Headlamp - 85g
Phone - 170g
Charger - 70g
E-Reader - 286g
(Powerbank - 280g)
-------> 611g (891g)

Documents - 200g
Wallet - 190g
Spork - 82g
Sun Glasses - 72g
Carabiner - 52g
Headphones - 16g
Guide Book - 310g
-------> 922g
=======

Best Regards,
Julian

Julian, Congratulations, you are about to embark on a transformative journey. My take on your list, based on your August departure. Drop the sleeping bag and take a silk liner. Alburges have blankets if you need it but temps should be comfortable. You do not need rain pants. Two T's are enough, can substitute for sleep wear. Take a half bar of soap for laundry, hair and shower - drop the gel. There's no need to take a reader if you're carrying a iPhone or similar, unnecessary distraction, weight. Take 1 or 2 liters max of water (heavy). You will have plenty of opportunities to refill in village plaza's, alburges and bars. It's a good idea to take snacks to power your day but not food, which you can get in the villages you pass through every day. Once you have finalized your packing list, take another hard look at it. Is it a "want or a need?" Remember, you are going to be schlepping your pack for 500 miles. You can always buy necessities along the Camino. Happy trails

All Inlets I've found are around 300-500g so I don't think those 200g justify buying a new "sleeping bag" and I prefer having something thick around me I can really close tight when sleeping in unknown beds.
I will drop the rain pants and take a poncho with me. Also I'll not take the gel and the reader.
And thank you very much for your feedback!

Last edited:
All Inlets I've found are around 300-500g so I don't think those 200g justify buying a new "sleeping bag" and I prefer having something thick around me I can really close tightwhen sleeping in unknown beds.
I will drop the rain pants and take a poncho with me. Also I'll not take the gel and the reader.
And thank you very much for your feedback!

I hope you have a wonderful trek. In the end, we all have to figure what gear works best for us, there's no perfection but we try . . .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Drop:
Sleeping bag - use a liner
Rain pants - long pants wet is same as rain pants sweating
Power bank - you can charge everywhere
Spork- plenty of utensils available
E-reader - use phone IF you really plan to read.
Beanie - used mine once and that was in April
Headlamp - unless you plan to hike at night, phone is plenty in alberque.

Consider:
Rain/wind breaker instead of fleece jacket and rain jacket
Much lighter flip-flops instead of sandals unless you reallly plan to walk in them

Add:
Small knife
Toe lubricant

Should I really drop the fleece jacket in favor of a wind jacket? I already dropped the rain jacket in favor of a poncho. Is it going to wind so much that I should consider a windbreaker since the fleece jacket is currently my only warm layer?

Should I really drop the fleece jacket in favor of a wind jacket? I already dropped the rain jacket in favor of a poncho. Is it going to wind so much that I should consider a windbreaker since the fleece jacket is currently my only warm layer?

I would keep the fleece. I travel with a warm layer in early September. Although the days can be scorching sometimes the nights and mornings are cool...especially if it's wet/damp. In addition, consider that not everyone's body responds in the same way. I found that walking all day in hot sun made me feel extra cold once I stopped walking and got out of the sun. It wasn't unusual to put on my fleece after showering to relax. Everyone's metabolism is not the same. Go with your gut.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
Welcome!
Toss the rainpants, beanie, headlamp, e-reader, powerbank, spork, carabiner and headphones.
Jill

Wow that's some interesting advice right there! You clearly like to read and listen to stuff as well. Having the powerbank is essential due to lack of plug points in many albergues.

Head lamps are very useful for getting up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom or for packing up early and not turning the lights on when others are sleeping.

I agree with the rainpants.

I mean headphones weigh nothing! Ridiculous to leave them behind based on weight saving.

A windshell or breaker is not a insulating layer, but it does increase the warmth of the insulating layer. Instead of a fleece, you can use a light down vest to decrease weight and take up less space when not needed; combined with a long-sleeved shirt it is very capable of keeping you warm during chill times.

I am new to Caminos but once put on a poncho when a storm came up while wild camping on Dartmoor. Within 5 minutes it was shredded to streamers by the wind. Very funny memory but hopeless rain resistance. Buy a good one!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
Welcome!
Toss the rainpants, beanie, headlamp, e-reader, powerbank, spork, carabiner and headphones.
Jill
Head lamp would only be needed if you plan some early starts, depends if you like walking in the heat or the cool, I like walking under the stars, head torch is handy for seeing the yellow arrows before the sun comes up.

Wow that's some interesting advice right there! You clearly like to read and listen to stuff as well. Having the powerbank is essential due to lack of plug points in many albergues.

Head lamps are very useful for getting up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom or for packing up early and not turning the lights on when others are sleeping.

I agree with the rainpants.

I mean headphones weigh nothing! Ridiculous to leave them behind based on weight saving.
And head phones are useful for drowning out snorers, or just for when you're walking.

Drop:
Sleeping bag - use a liner
Rain pants - long pants wet is same as rain pants sweating
Power bank - you can charge everywhere
Spork- plenty of utensils available
E-reader - use phone IF you really plan to read.
Beanie - used mine once and that was in April
Headlamp - unless you plan to hike at night, phone is plenty in alberque.

Consider:
Rain/wind breaker instead of fleece jacket and rain jacket
Much lighter flip-flops instead of sandals unless you reallly plan to walk in them

Add:
Small knife
Toe lubricant
Been using two buffs instead of a hat, only brought one, but bought a camino one, it was 8'c one morning and windy, and this is August on the Frances with a heat wave, except any thing, Bill

I would keep the fleece. I travel with a warm layer in early September. Although the days can be scorching sometimes the nights and mornings are cool...especially if it's wet/damp. In addition, consider that not everyone's body responds in the same way. I found that walking all day in hot sun made me feel extra cold once I stopped walking and got out of the sun. It wasn't unusual to put on my fleece after showering to relax. Everyone's metabolism is not the same. Go with your gut.
Second that, still had my fleece on at ten this morning.

And head phones are useful for drowning out snorers, or just for when you're walking.

:) I would provide a general caution that, due to the proliferation of bicycles on Camino, as well as during one's walking along roadways, having anything in the ears which will obstruct outside sounds can be dangerous. However, if the option is between either someone wearing earbuds or headphones, or forcing me to listen to someone's cacophony of generated noise, then PLEASE wear the earbuds and keep your head on a swivel. :)

Your list is fine. Don’t over think it, you are prepared as well if not better than most. The biggest decision you will need to make is when to carry 1/2 litre 1 or 2 litres of water, that’s the real extra weight. Enjoy the experience and remember there are a lot of experts out there ( me included ) but it’s your Camino, your list is fine and you will have the time of your life.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Update:
I'm on the Camino now. My backpack weighs around 7.7kg + Water. (I included some more first aid stuff to help out other pilgrims or myself if needed) For me, 190m/78kg/18 years I think this is doable.
Sadly I got to the camino with an inflammation on my heel. Rip. Walking in my main shoes hurts so badly that I am planning to walk in my sandals for the next few days. For now I just put an Compeed over it and took some ibuprofen until I get a better idea on how to treat it.
Buen Camino!

HI Nailuj! Hope your heel gets better soon! Seek some medical advice on the next Centro de Salud you pass by, and surely go for the shoes that are more comfortable!

Update:
I'm on the Camino now. My backpack weighs around 7.7kg + Water. (I included some more first aid stuff to help out other pilgrims or myself if needed) For me, 190m/78kg/18 years I think this is doable.
Sadly I got to the camino with an inflammation on my heel. Rip. Walking in my main shoes hurts so badly that I am planning to walk in my sandals for the next few days. For now I just put an Compeed over it and took some ibuprofen until I get a better idea on how to treat it.
Buen Camino!
After about a week on the Norte I quit wearing my shoes, and only wore sandals. I wore trail runners on my 2 Camino Frances, but 'm definitely converted to wearing only sandals on the Camino now. Next time I'll bring two identical pairs of sandals, one pair for walking and the other for the evenings, then switch them halfway through the Camino.

Hi, I'm nearly finished my camino, tonight staying at Monte de Gozo, so be in Santiago for the sun coming up, I think your pack is too heavy, the 10%rule should be seen as a maximum, not what is ok, saying that it took me almost four weeks to loose stuff! I started with six kilos plus my travelling clothes, but weeks of pounding on asphalt is not the best, I eventually sent 2.85kgs to Santiago from Sarria, and lost my trainers, feet and shins are much happier, probably going to walk to Finesterre now, Bill

Hi, I'm nearly finished my camino, tonight staying at Monte de Gozo, so be in Santiago for the sun coming up, I think your pack is too heavy, the 10%rule should be seen as a maximum, not what is ok, saying that it took me almost four weeks to loose stuff! I started with six kilos plus my travelling clothes, but weeks of pounding on asphalt is not the best, I eventually sent 2.85kgs to Santiago from Sarria, and lost my trainers, feet and shins are much happier, probably going to walk to Finesterre now, Bill
Everyone has a different body. What might be bad for some people might not be so bad for others. I'll see if I really have to lose stuff but so far I'm perfectly fine. Thank you though!

Enjoy, buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After about a week on the Norte I quit wearing my shoes, and only wore sandals. I wore trail runners on my 2 Camino Frances, but 'm definitely converted to wearing only sandals on the Camino now. Next time I'll bring two identical pairs of sandals, one pair for walking and the other for the evenings, then switch them halfway through the Camino.
did you have issues with getting debris in your sandals?

did you have issues with getting debris in your sandals?
If you mean blisters, no. I mostly wore them in the evening. I wore them on one day though when it was raining while walking and I didn't stop when it hurt and that's when I kind of rubbed my skin off at that point. It healed already by now though.

Just 120km to go, I'm already really excited. :) I switched to the primitivo btw.
I'm gonna write about my experiences on this forum soon.

do the albergues supply towel or should I bring my own...I have a micro one sized for backpacking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
do the albergues supply towel or should I bring my own...I have a micro one sized for backpacking.
The albergues don't supply towels, and usually don't supply any bedding, other than a flimsy disposable mattress cover.

I found that it is really nice to have your own pillowcase. A super-light nylon or silk adds great comfort for less than an ounce. Get a color that you won't miss when you pack up to leave. (forgot one) Just that one item made a big difference in my sleeping comfort. The paper covers gave you some cleanliness confidence, but aren't very comfortable

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found that it is really nice to have your own pillowcase. A super-light nylon or silk adds great comfort for less than an ounce. Get a color that you won't miss when you pack up to leave. (forgot one) Just that one item made a big difference in my sleeping comfort. The paper covers gave you some cleanliness confidence, but aren't very comfortable

I just use a stuff sack for that; or even just a stuff sack with my clothing inside as a pillow.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back