• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My pet-peeve: Selfies

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I've been looking for videos of the TRACK of various routes, and I'm exhausted.

What I"m looking for is video of the track, the village, the walking conditions.
I want to know, "Can I do this? Is it rocky? Flat? Forested? Slippery?"
What I'm finding is hours of people videotaping themselves walking and talking about nothing.
Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.
Cabin fever?

Just sayin'

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
You are not alone in noticing the exhausting narcissism common in the videos that are out there.

It's one of the reasons I enjoy watching the Efrén González video series: with his various cameras, especially the drone shots of the trails and the villages he passes through/stays in, he gives the viewer a very good idea of what the way is like. When he narrates, it's usually about the Camino, not himself.

There is a thread about the Google Earth track. I don't know how to link a thread but it's called

How to view and travel the Camino in Google Earth​

I would expect you could zoom in on sections to see how rocky it is. Slippery might be a bit more weather/footwear dependent. If it gives you Street View you will get some idea but it will be quite time consuming to cover a lot of path this way!

Efren Gonzales has put up a lot of information on his routes but you need to be a Patreon to access most of it now. It might not be quite what you are looking for.

Good luck

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are not alone in noticing the exhausting narcissism common in the videos that are out there.

It's one of the reasons I enjoy watching the Efrén González video series: with his various cameras, especially the drone shots of the trails and the villages he passes through/stays in, he gives the viewer a very good idea of what the way is like. When he narrates, it's usually about the Camino, not himself.

Efrén has also developed an application you can download of each Camino he has walked. The terrain elevation, albergues on the routes and cafes and water availability. He has the link in his YouTube channel. Did not check how much it costs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I love Efren's videos and enjoy seeing his smiling face and fun personality as he narrates. He is as enjoyable to watch as his drone and camera footage; a great combination of the three.
You can always pass on by the Youtube Camino videos after giving them a quick look...quick and easy.
When vacationing in well known tourist attractions it's the selfie photos and selfie sticks that are my pet peeve as those people often overtake most every famous tourist attraction, whether it be an awe-inspiring building or beautiful mountain/lake lookout. I've often waited patiently🙄 to have a chance to snap a quick photo as I wait for all the selfie "models" to finish their personal portfolios...that's my narcissistic little rant.😅

Last edited:

What I"m looking for is video of the track, the village, the walking conditions.
What I'm finding is hours of people videotaping themselves walking and talking about nothing.
Cabin fever?

Just sayin'
Cabin fever amiga, just cabin fever.

You've walked enough Camino to know that one days dust-bowl is another days mud-bath. That it really doesn't matter how steep that hill is, how rocky, forested or snowed on. If you are going to Santiago you are going over that hill.

You don't need U-bend, Tik-Tacky or any other such source to tell you what Camino is like. You've been there and won the tee-shirt.

And if its really new territory that you're planning to break then (loathe that I am to say it) Godgle Erth will give you a genuine 3d, full colour view of the un-reality whenever you ask. You can even flip back through the archives to check which brand of cigarettes you were smoking in Red Square way back when ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I love Efren's videos and enjoy seeing his smiling face and fun personality as he narrates. He is as enjoyable to watch as his drone and camera footage; a great combination of the three.
You can always pass on by the Youtube Camino videos after giving them a quick look...quick and easy.
When vacationing in well known tourist attractions it's the selfie photos and selfie sticks that are my pet peeve as those people often overtake most every famous tourist attraction, whether it be an awe-inspiring building or beautiful mountain/lake lookout. I've often waited patiently🙄 to have a chance to snap a quick photo as I wait for all the selfie "models" to finish their personal portfolios...that's my narcissistic little rant.😅
I don't like it when people take forever to get the selfie photo or when they do too many cute poses.

However, almost everything has been photographed now so the only way to make the photo yours is to add yourself or family in the photo. It can be a polite thing to offer to take the photo for them using their camera/phone. Most people are very appreciative of the offer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't like it when people take forever to get the selfie photo or when they do too many cute poses.

However, almost everything has been photographed now so the only way to make the photo yours is to add yourself or family in the photo. It can be a polite thing to offer to take the photo for them using their camera/phone. Most people are very appreciative of the offer.
I have often offered to do that for others on vacations and most have been appreciative in the past; just don't bother interupting the couple who are engrossed in doing their own thang with their selfie sticks...they don't usually want or appreciate our help. It's definitely a new day.

It can be a polite thing to offer to take the photo for them using their camera/phone. Most people are very appreciative of the offer.
I do this often enough that Peg tells them that it's my hobby. They do seem appreciative. I never ask to see the pictures though so I don't know if I'm getting any better.

I tell them that I have two rules, no glasses, no hats. I will bend the rule on hats but it does cause problems getting the right exposure of the faces, especially if one person has a hat on and the other(s) not. I also say that I'm going to take a bunch of shots. Some are to focus the attention on the background (yes, you were there) and some on the people. Then I'll often try portrait mode. One thing I tried recently with a mother and adult daughter was after a couple shots I asked them to act silly for one. They were more at ease for the remainder.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I do this often enough that Peg tells them that it's my hobby. They do seem appreciative. I never ask to see the pictures though so I don't know if I'm getting any better.

I tell them that I have two rules, no glasses, no hats. I will bend the rule on hats but it does cause problems getting the right exposure of the faces, especially if one person has a hat on and the other(s) not. I also say that I'm going to take a bunch of shots. Some are to focus the attention on the background (yes, you were there) and some on the people. Then I'll often try portrait mode. One thing I tried recently with a mother and adult daughter was after a couple shots I asked them to act silly for one. They were more at ease for the remainder.
After that detailed explanation of your rules for taking pictures, and your methods, I agree with Peg. 😅

don't bother interupting the couple who are engrossed in doing their own thang with their selfie sticks...they don't usually want or appreciate our help.
Yes, but this doesn't mean they are being rude or any more self-absorbed than any other couple. Their objective is not just to get a traditional photo. As Rick just said, when he was the photographer setting the rules, he had to tell them to act silly. Why interfere when they are already acting silly and having fun?

Selfies have a bad name. I really enjoy taking them occasionally, and I am neither vain nor narcissistic. They are different from an objective photo, and that difference is not necessarily bad!

@C clearly, you miss my point. I am speaking solely of numerous times I personally have waited for young couples/groups of friends who literally monopolize an area of beauty with all their time spent having selfie sticks, posing in numerous "modeling" positions for fun in front of everyone else, totally oblivious to others who are waiting to take their turn to get a decent photo. It is rude and I've witnessed it plenty, and I'm not speaking of the Camino. I would never subject others to that sort of selfish behavior.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree that people can hog the path and viewpoints, and be oblivious to others, and they annoy me too. I was pointing out that nobody wants help with a selfie! 🙂

@C clearly, you miss my point. I am speaking solely of numerous times I personally have waited for young couples/groups of friends who literally monopolize an area of beauty with all their time spent having selfie sticks, posing in numerous "modeling" positions for fun in front of everyone else, totally oblivious to others who are waiting to take their turn to get a decent photo. It is rude and I've witnessed it plenty, and I'm not speaking of the Camino. I would never subject others to that sort of selfish behavior.

Or when they almost poke out your eye with their selfiestick. Happened to me a couple of years ago when I arrived in front of the cathedral in Santiago . Some selfabsorbed idiot was very clumsy using that " device ".
I'm all for progress and using modern tools but there is a limit to selfish behaviour indeed.
Grumble grumble....

We encountered that at the 100km mark last time. There was a queue of people waiting to take selfies with the marker.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am old and cranky. I can appreciate that others like to take pictures of remarkable views along the Way. I detest selfies; they are just not my cup of tea. Foks die from taking those silly things and I have little pity for them.
If others want to take them that is their prerogative. However, step aside; don't block the trail; don't plant yourself in the middle of a particularly suitable location for picture taking; move along. These are the kind of rules that we should all follow when taking pictures; they are not limited to those in love with selfies.

Cranky man shutting mouth now.

Annie, while I admire your commitment to researching track conditions and sympathise over the cabin fever that keeps us locked inside, I miss the days when we set off with imperfect knowledge not sure of what was ahead of us and open to the adventures of a new path.

In this day and age we appear obsessed with checking out the mass of details that are only a click or two away from us via our smart tech. Don't get me wrong, it's wise to research weather and track conditions, especially when walking alone, but do we need to review every step we make? And what happens if on the day we set off it's scorching hot, when we reviewed a winter tramp, or if the trail has been diverted and differs from the one we reviewed?

I got totally peeved with a guide book that gave step by step notes of how to walk my first Camino, I threw it away and got to enjoy the adventure through my own fresh eyes. Yes I got lost, yes I made mistakes, but that only made it more uniquely my way. And no, I didn't stop to take selfies, the memories are burnt deep into my memory and I can't bother people with posts of places I've been.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My biggest grieve with selfie sticks is all those lost opportunities. We got two Kodaks, a Canon and a Leica in one afternoon in Bournemouth doing the “take your picture for you Mister?” thing. Mind you, I could run in those days 😉
I've tried that but it costs me too much with 3 kph Peg kept being held hostage.

Annie, while I admire your commitment to researching track conditions and sympathise over the cabin fever that keeps us locked inside, I miss the days when we set off with imperfect knowledge not sure of what was ahead of us and open to the adventures of a new path.

In this day and age we appear obsessed with checking out the mass of details that are only a click or two away from us via our smart tech. Don't get me wrong, it's wise to research weather and track conditions, especially when walking alone, but do we need to review every step we make? And what happens if on the day we set off it's scorching hot, when we reviewed a winter tramp, or if the trail has been diverted and differs from the one we reviewed?

I got totally peeved with a guide book that gave step by step notes of how to walk my first Camino, I threw it away and got to enjoy the adventure through my own fresh eyes. Yes I got lost, yes I made mistakes, but that only made it more uniquely my way. And no, I didn't stop to take selfies, the memories are burnt deep into my memory and I can't bother people with posts of places I've been.

I agree.
Fact was I was looking for videos for some of my walkers who are concerned about all the reports they've heard about how difficult parts of the track is.
I agree about setting off not knowing... it's part of the adventure.
I think I'm just feeling grouchy.
I'm caring my my elderly mother right now. She's on hospice.
I'm feeling caged.
It's me...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Before I walked my first Camino, I had never been to Spain. And I’d never met anyone who’d walked a Camino. And that was only a little more than 10 years ago - but before the Camino was widely known in Australia.

I had just enough information to get me started. My ignorance was bliss!

Is this thread intended to find a particular type of video, or to discuss the tediousness of everybody else's photos and videos?
Or, sticks,or waiting for folks to finish, or …rude selfie snappers 🤪🤣😆 But I too get off topic frequently….
Actually watching one of Sikora’s Videos was key in my deciding not to walk a particular camino. Those videos are resources to use or not and I found a few of them were also entertaining (Oh my)!

Last edited:
Oh yes!!! Someone please tell me that the way to Santiago is “walk West and ask the locals”
Yes, that’s it. And I’m grateful for many who helped whenever I missed a turn on the Camino and have fond memories of neighborly locals pointing the Way — one from a car, one from an apartment window, and many others walking nearby at different times and places.

Cabin fever?

Just sayin'
A number of people include short Relive videos showing their daily walking tracks over Google Maps, often at the end of daily vlogs. That will give some information (where the track is, villages, elevations, some broad idea of the terrain it goes through) but it won't tell you if it is slippery or rocky or walking conditions. There is only so much you can get squeezing a day's walk into a couple of minutes over Google Maps. nd those often come with the very videos you don't want.

If you want to see the complete way, there are a couple of possibilities (taken from my Camino Videos list):

Nothing to add except I agree with the posts mentioning Efren, he’s fun to watch and full of information. I just finished his first Camino vlog that of the CF in 2017. You can watch it here for free. He is chock full of information.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVAiPQLcqYe0pXBm-Qc3KxP5yFrpJriqi

Thank you David Tallen for the links. I’m excited to explore them.

I had just enough information to get me started. My ignorance was bliss!
Yes I agree, ignorance is bliss. 😁 I only had the movie “The Way” and John Brierly’s guidebook before my first Camino. I didn’t have a cell phone when I walked either.

My second and third weren’t as magical, perhaps due to too much of my own knowledge and not enough letting go and letting the Camino provide. 😉

I agree.
Fact was I was looking for videos for some of my walkers who are concerned about all the reports they've heard about how difficult parts of the track is.
I agree about setting off not knowing... it's part of the adventure.
I think I'm just feeling grouchy.
I'm feeling caged.
It's me...
I empathize ❤️You watching over your mom. It’s not easy. As far as I’m concerned you can be as grouchy as you want. 🤗

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yes I agree, ignorance is bliss. 😁 I only had the movie “The Way” and John Brierly’s guidebook before my first Camino. I didn’t have a cell phone when I walked either.

My second and third weren’t as magical, perhaps due to too much of my own knowledge and not enough letting go and letting the Camino provide. 😉
There is certainly something special about the exhilaration of the unknown and the joy of discovery. Over the years when people have asked me what I may regard as ‘way too many questions’ in preparation for their first Camino, I gently encourage them not to try to ‘know’ everything before they start. Essential info yes, thé rest will unfold.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
“Ten short years ago, nobody had ever heard of a selfie. But today every decent cell phone has not one but two cameras, so you can take idiotic duck face pictures. And don't forget the billion dollar selfie-stick industry. Capitalism has found a whole new way to turn our vanity into profit.”
― Oliver Markus Malloy

Cabin fever?

Just sayin'

Cabin fever?

Just sayin'
Uh oh! Does this mean no selfies on our Camino, Annie? JK! Sending hugs 🤗 We’ll be there soon. ❤️

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Cabin fever?

Just sayin'
AnnieSantiago: You may find my YouTube channel videos useful. Yes, I do a mix of the "selfie stick", but I show a lot of the terrain, trails and side-treks along the Camino Frances. Best way to watch them or find a specific day's journey between key locations is to check my "playlists." I did simple edit videos at the end of each day to upload so family and friends could follow our progress and see what we were experiencing. Here's a link to the first week on the Camino. Give them a chance as I also talk about weather and other issues. These are from Oct 5 to Nov 6. Cheers. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5U2Hak114dGBeXrMB8pAiZJ9fJcm5i2Y

Last edited:

Cabin fever?

Just sayin'
It is rocky, flat, forested, and slippery. Can you do it? You will know only if you try. Buen Camino.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1541259969652.jpg
    FB_IMG_1541259969652.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 18

Cabin fever?

Just sayin'
I use hybrid map option to see the terrain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wait until you get older.
I am old, and yes my brain is a jumble of fragmented facts and moments in time. But at times it works surprisingly well. Once when my daughter got lost on a Camino she rang me to ask for help, even though it had been over 15 years since I walked that route (and I was literally half the world away), I was able to guide her back to a familiar landmark, get her bearings and set off on the right path. She was amazed that I could remember the trees, stone wall and fork in the road that had sent her down the wrong way, less then impressed that I negotiated using bars as key landmarks, as I have always done that!

I loved this post!

I don’t know if there was anything available online when I walked, pre- “The Way“ ... the year it was filmed, in fact …
I carried Brierley’s map but decided I didn’t need it.

I hope to be in the moment when I next walk and have no desire to recce the way.

And I didn’t know just how steep the climb would be over the Napoleon.
But I know a hill when I see one at a distance and I did have Brierley’s elevations as a rough guide.

@Anniesantiago

I hope you find what you’re looking for …
and stay strong with your mother …

I agree with you. I enjoy watching hiking videos I certain individuals because they don't do the selfie
thing. There are those that put out videos that I have to do with some of their own personal issues and how the Camino has helped them and I will watch those because of the personal testaments. but not those who just like to watch themselves dance.

I am old, and yes my brain is a jumble of fragmented facts and moments in time. But at times it works surprisingly well. Once when my daughter got lost on a Camino she rang me to ask for help, even though it had been over 15 years since I walked that route (and I was literally half the world away), I was able to guide her back to a familiar landmark, get her bearings and set off on the right path. She was amazed that I could remember the trees, stone wall and fork in the road that had sent her down the wrong way, less then impressed that I negotiated using bars as key landmarks, as I have always done that!

Some of us have vivid visual memories.
I, for one, can not always pinpoint a date but, if I can relate a memory to others which I can date, I’ll be able to give a rough timescale.
Sometimes, when walking, I wasn’t taking much notice of my surroundings, but I might well be able to recall what was happening on an inner level.

How lovely that you could guide your daughter at a distance!

I agree about the videos Efrén produces... nicely done.

Another great video of the Camino is Wade Harman Camino 2021, it is a little over one hour long and set to a nice sound track

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No-one has said anything about Dave Buggs go pro video as suggested in this thread, but I will.

He walks at a really fast pace doesn't he?

For some reason, everyone seems to either be passed by at super speed or they scurry away faster. 😀

I made a series of 12 videos that captured my first Camino (the CF) back in 2015. They are all available on YouTube when you do a search for 'Steve McGourty Camino'. The Camino videos are the ones whose name starts with 'Chapter#'. My wife, who did not walk with me, said they made her feel like she was there. Ha, I must admit there are a few selfies, but I like to think they are rare. I was all about photographing the trail and the architecture. If you only watch one watch #8.

Last edited:
Old? What has that got to do with it? I am not up to speed with your story, it is not my business. I am aware that your life is not as it was. While you still have breath, you are never old! That is my belief, my modus operandi! Thank you for all your contributions to various threads, I do try to catch them. Wherever you are, eventually, is where you are meant to be! Pax!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No-one has said anything about Dave Buggs go pro video as suggested in this thread, but I will.

He walks at a really fast pace doesn't he?

For some reason, everyone seems to either be passed by at super speed or they scurry away faster. 😀
Dave contributed his footage to John Sikora for his series of speeded up videos which I and others in the thread link to in replies above.

I made a series of 12 videos that captured my first Camino (the CF) back in 2015. They are all available on YouTube when you do a search for 'Steve McGourty Camino'. The Camino videos are the ones whose name starts with 'Chapter#'. My wife, who did not walk with me, said they made her feel like she was there. Ha, I must admit there are a few selfies, but I like to think they are rare. I was all about photographing the trail and the architecture. I you only watch one watch #8.
If you want to go directly to the first video, you can find it here:
· Steve McGourty: Camino Frances starts here

Cabin fever?

Just sayin'
I've learned not to watch the videos anymore. I know where Camino starts and ends. Those videos don't lend much to the imagination. Mind you I do like looking at photo's and getting pearls of wisdom BUT the Camino is supposed to be an adventure and I enjoy the obstacles and challenges along the way that I figure out how to deal with........Just my opinion...

I used the videos while walking on my treadmill training for the Camino. As this thread started, the videos of endless selfies with little to nothing about the trail itself were really boring, but probably not for the folks who made them.

I appreciate the work and time it took for each video made. A labor of love. You know, we all have different tastes so what may “bore” one may be quite engaging and helpful to others.

We have developed quite a library of videos and I thank @David Tallan for continuing to develop this resource for us all! New pilgrims will especially find it valuable. Great job David!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some of us have vivid visual memories.
I, for one, can not always pinpoint a date but, if I can relate a memory to others which I can date, I’ll be able to give a rough timescale.
Sometimes, when walking, I wasn’t taking much notice of my surroundings, but I might well be able to recall what was happening on an inner level.

I read a book the other day, don't ask me its title, about how people who travel and navigate have highly developed brains that draw on a number of ill used tools that orient ourselves and can help with memory recall. While there was way too much on rat brain stimulation and dissection, there was some very interesting stuff on how over generations children's worlds and spacial awareness had shrunk, largely due to having been driven to and fro rather then having to walk and navigate their way to school or around their neighbourhood. The authors also found that use of step by step GPS, rather then maps, compas and landmarks was leading to a dimishing of brain development as we outsourced the locating and interpretation elements that have helped our ansestors out of Africa and around the globe.

I don't claim to have a great memory or sense of direction, but just smell can act as a brain prompt, I have found that taking note of where you are helps recall what is going on at that point in time. Now don't get me wrong GPS is a wonderful thing and I am glad pilots use it rather then memory, and yes a photograph or video can help illustrate what we can expect to experience.

But the crunch of the rocks underfoot, the smell of dust in our nostrils, the view from the post we lent on to catch our breath, and the feeling that we are steadily heading west - these are the experiences that work their way up through our soles and draw us back to the way.

Last edited:
I read a book the other day, don't ask me its title, about how people who travel and navigate have highly developed brains that draw on a number of ill used tools that orient ourselves and can help with memory recall. While there was way too much on rat brain stimulation and dissection, there was some very interesting stuff on how over generations children's worlds and spacial awareness had shrunk, largely due to having been driven to and fro rather then having to walk and navigate their way to school or around their neighbourhood. The authors also found that use of step by step GPS, rather then maps, compas and landmarks was leading to a dimishing of brain development as we outsourced the locating and interpretation elements that have helped our ansestors out of Africa and around the globe.

I don't claim to have a great memory or sense of direction, but just smell can act as a brain prompt, I have found that taking note of where you are helps recall what is going on at that point in time. Now don't get me wrong GPS is a wonderful thing and I am glad pilots use it rather then memory, and yes a photograph or video can help illustrate what we can expect to experience.

But the crunch of the rocks underfoot, the smell of dust in our nostrils, the view from the post we lent on to catch our breath, and the feeling that we are steadily heading west - these are the experiences that work their way up through our soles and draw us back to the way.

Brilliantly put!
That’s it exactly!!!
Thank you 😊

As an aside, if you’re one of those who keep mislaying your reading glasses, try to visualise the surroundings when you put them down … an easy enough habit to form …
it works!!

There was a thread which spoke of “thin places” fairly recently, with a reference by Tincatinker to a place he used to live in.
My immediate response was to find it on a map, so I could visualise its ‘place’ and the land around it.
My dad taught me to use a map (and a compass), and to learn from the land, long before I reached my teens. He walked everywhere .. as folk did, in the land that time forgot …

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Efrén has also developed an application you can download of each Camino he has walked. The terrain elevation, albergues on the routes and cafes and water availability. He has the link in his YouTube channel. Did not check how much it costs.
He really deserves compensation, he works SO hard and carries that weight for us! Thanks for supporting him!

Cabin fever?

Just sayin'
This was Pamplona (or Burgos or Leon) last month. Just to cheer you up. Agree with your comments.

Attachments

• VID_20211010_085511.mp4
    221.3 MB

Cabin fever?

Just sayin'
Hi, The track is so varied that a few videos might not portray it accurately. There are very steep parts, rocky parts, flat parts, slippery parts, forested parts... city and fields. Before I went, my biggest question was "Can I really do this thing?", and the answer is yes. Prepare for the difficulties (pack light, choose shoes and pack wisely), and trust in yourself and the Camino. Yes, you will be able to tolerate not being in your own bed, and yes, you will be able to get up every morning and walk for long periods. The Camino will sweep you up in it's magic; the momentum will be there. But to have all these questions fully answered before you go it to take out some of the thrill. Buen Camino!

Hahaha! And you can even count the number of steps between the vierras.
I apologise for the phlegm in the middle. The wonderful Spanish have never hear of dairy intolerance. It was wonderful to taste but hard on the gut. Still, the ancient infrastructure on the camino frances that they maintain is sans pareil as far as I know and it was one of the most pleasurable experiences of my life.

Hi, The track is so varied that a few videos might not portray it accurately. There are very steep parts, rocky parts, flat parts, slippery parts, forested parts... city and fields. Before I went, my biggest question was "Can I really do this thing?", and the answer is yes. Prepare for the difficulties (pack light, choose shoes and pack wisely), and trust in yourself and the Camino. Yes, you will be able to tolerate not being in your own bed, and yes, you will be able to get up every morning and walk for long periods. The Camino will sweep you up in it's magic; the momentum will be there. But to have all these questions fully answered before you go it to take out some of the thrill. Buen Camino!
:). Hi. Yes, I've done the Camino Frances over 20 times but thanks. I was looking for my Facebook Group Pilgrims :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Cabin fever?

Just sayin'
The Camino is mostly well groomed but there are short parts that are rough like a washed out river bed. It can be slippery if wet. There are some steep sections and some flat sections. It's a bit of everything. You need to ask yourself how important it is to complete the Camino and what would happen if you cannot because of an accident or tiredness? Assess the risks and plan, train and buy equipment to deal with it.

The Camino is mostly well groomed but there are short parts that are rough like a washed out river bed. It can be slippery if wet. There are some steep sections and some flat sections. It's a bit of everything. You need to ask yourself how important it is to complete the Camino and what would happen if you cannot because of an accident or tiredness? Assess the risks and plan, train and buy equipment to deal with it.
Yes, I know. :). I've walked it over 20 times. But thanks.
And I, like you, don't always read the entire threads before commenting. lol!

B K Lee has a series of YouTube videos where each is a realtime walk of a stage of the Camino Frances. They last for hours but you can see the conditions for each stage. Here is his stage 1.

Right. These were among the first videos I ever watched when preparing for 2020 (cancelled by Covid) Camino. I almost gave up because I could not understand that this person was filming every second of his walk! Discovered some others that did not involve me devoting my whole life to watching You Tube. Among them Lindsey's Hikes. Really like her approach and her tip of staying off the "stages" approach.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Whilst I'm not a young lad myself reading all these negative comments about selfies on this thread my first reaction is a lot of grumpy, grumbling old people on here, lol.

I've learned not to watch the videos anymore. I know where Camino starts and ends. Those videos don't lend much to the imagination. Mind you I do like looking at photo's and getting pearls of wisdom BUT the Camino is supposed to be an adventure and I enjoy the obstacles and challenges along the way that I figure out how to deal with........Just my opinion...
Ditto. I don't suggest that anyone that has not walked the Camino yet watch any of the videos showing the entire route etc. Let it be a mystery. An adventure. Step into the unknown. Get a guidebook or guide app. That's all one needs. Just one dimensional maps and albergue etc information. No silly dolt videoing themselves, while narrating and mumbling Camino philosophy or stereotypical motivation quotes etc. Begging for e-money.

Ditto. I don't suggest that anyone that has not walked the Camino yet watch any of the videos showing the entire route etc. Let it be a mystery. An adventure. Step into the unknown. Get a guidebook or guide app. That's all one needs. Just one dimensional maps and albergue etc information. No silly dolt videoing themselves, while narrating and mumbling Camino philosophy or stereotypical motivation quotes etc. Begging for e-money.
I prefer books over videos myself, much easier to zero in on the information you're looking for. However, many people prefer videos. Although it is nice to be surprised on your Camino, I think some prior research can enhance your journey. It would be good to know the history of the region and the Camino itself before you go. A good guidebook also helps ensure you don't pass by any interesting sites in the various towns along the way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Same for me - I didn't want someone else's experience to influence my own.
I prefer books over videos myself, much easier to zero in on the information you're looking for.
Me too!

I'm feeling caged.
It's me...
Annie, I'm so sorry about your mom. That is so hard. I think about hospicing my mom everyday. It was the hardest thing I've ever done and at the time I totally felt trapped, but now I'm so grateful that I was able to do it. Gentle hugs to you.

Same for me - I didn't want someone else's experience to influence my own.

Me too!
I see now why you've decided to hide yourself away in a tiny village. 😈
When we returned from the Camino 2016 we had all of these great stories, photo's etc.....It occurred to me quickly that people who have not walked/or know the Camino don't really care to sit and listen to my stories or look at my photos closely......So I just stopped talking about it....Guess that is why I'm here with y'all.......You get me.....

€46,-
When we returned from the Camino 2016 we had all of these great stories, photo's etc.....It occurred to me quickly that people who have not walked/or know the Camino don't really care to sit and listen to my stories or look at my photos closely......So I just stopped talking about it....Guess that is why I'm here with y'all.......You get me.....
I had to start a local chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino so that I could have more people to bore with tell my stories to. 😅

After 1 week on any of the Caminos, we all know the route will be rocky, flat, forested, AND slippery!!
I wouldn't say applies to someone on any of the Caminos. I can imagine, for example, after a week on the San Salvador and Primitivo, someone not considering the route particularly flat. Or after a week on the Meseta, someone not considering the route particularly forested.

I had to start a local chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino so that I could have more people to bore with tell my stories to. 😅
HA, Yes I had wanted to throw myself a welcome home party, with all my photos streaming on the big screen, have Tapas, Red wine with people waiting on baited breathe to hear my Camino stories etc.....turned out people only wanted to eat and drink my food....lol and I was left to sit in the living room dreaming of my next trip....(some what being dramatic here) lol

HA, Yes I had wanted to throw myself a welcome home party, with all my photos streaming on the big screen, have Tapas, Red wine with people waiting on baited breathe to hear my Camino stories etc.....turned out people only wanted to eat and drink my food....lol and I was left to sit in the living room dreaming of my next trip....(some what being dramatic here) lol
I had a similar experience. Now, when people ask me about my hobbies or what I did on my vacation, I just say "long walks in Spain".

I had a similar experience. Now, when people ask me about my hobbies or what I did on my vacation, I just say "long walks in Spain".
Ditto... if they really are interested, they circle back later and ask questions. Most can't fathom why someone would walk 500 miles on an old trail. Those who've decided to go already will be interested, but others "not so much".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.