• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My plan for Camino Portugal, that's ok?

Botaivica

Time of past OR future Camino
May - July 2016
SJPP - Santiago - Finisterra
May 2017
Caminho do Tejo
June 2017
Fatima - Santiago
Therefore,
difficult to manage in all variants Camina in Portugal. Too many routes, too many Camino. ;)
I had two objectives, start from Lisbon and go to Fatima.
Few days ago I started plan a routes and I came to this result:

Lisabon – Alpriate, 22,8 km

Alpriate – Vila Franca de Xira, 18,4 km

Vila Franca de Xira – Valada, 28,8 km

Valada – Santarem, 19,5 km

Santarem - Olhos da agua, 29,0 km

Olhos de agua – Fatima, 27,0 km

Fatima – Tomar, 30,0 km

Tomar – Alvalazere, 31,2 km

Alvalazere – Rabacal, 32,5 km

Rabacal – Coimbra, 29,5 km

Coimbra – Mealhada, 19,2 km

Mealhada – Agueda, 25,0 km

Agueda – Albegaria a Velha, 16,8 km

Albergaria a Velha – Sao Joao de Madeira, 28,9 km

Sao Joao de Madeira – Grijo, 19,4 km

Grijo – Porto, 16,7 km

Porto – Monasterio de Vairao, 24,9 km

Monasterio de Vairao – Pedra Furada, 19,7 km

Pedra Furada – Portela de Tamel, 19,2 km

Portela de Tamel – Ponte de Lima, 24,5 km

Ponte de Lima – Fontoura, 24,9 km

Fontoura – O Porrino, 27,7 km

O Porrino - Arcade, 22,2 km

Arcade - Briallos, 29,2 km

Briallos - Padron, 23,4 km

Padron – Santiago de Compostela, 23,7 km

Is this OK?

All comments are welcome.

Recommendations for albergu also.

Thank you.

Bota :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Therefore,
difficult to manage in all variants Camina in Portugal. Too many routes, too many Camino. ;)

Fatima – Tomar, 30,0 km

Grijo – Porto, 16,7 km

Is this OK?

Thank you.

This is okay. It is your caminho.

But you miss the best place to stay on the entire caminho Português ! casa Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães
So instead of walking From Pedra Furada to Tamel, walk from Pedra Furada to Casa Fernanda wich is 8 kms more. It is a privat albergue, donativo.

Furthermore I like your option to stay in Monasteiro de Vairão but the way to Vairão out of Porto is not very pleasant. I should chose to take the metro out of Porto to Fórum Maia or Vilar Do Pinheiro -see the metro map of Porto .Or walk from Porto along the Douro river and the Atlantic ocean to Angeiras and from there the next day to Sāo Pedro de Rates and from there to Casa Fernanda.

You look like a experienced walker. From Ponte de Lima you'll face a nasty stage over a mountain to Rubiães. for me it was enough that day and stopped in Rubiães. The next day is an 18 or 21 km stage to Valença do Minho/Tui and from there another 20 km to o Porriño.

Lep pozdrav. Bom caminho

Last edited:
This is okay. It is your caminho.

But you miss the best place to stay on the entire caminho Português ! casa Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães
So instead of walking From Pedra Furada to Tamel, walk from Pedra Furada to Casa Fernanda wich is 8 kms more. It is a privat albergue, donativo.

Furthermore I like your option to stay in Monasteiro de Vairão but the way to Vairão out of Porto is not very pleasant. I should chose to take the metro out of Porto to Fórum Maia or Vilar Do Pinheiro -see the metro map of Porto .Or walk from Porto along the Douro river and the Atlantic ocean to Angeiras and from there the next day to Sāo Pedro de Rates and from there to Casa Fernanda.

You look like a experienced walker. From Ponte de Lima you'll face a nasty stage over a mountain to Rubiães. for me it was enough that day and stopped in Rubiães. The next day is an 18 or 21 km stage to Valença do Minho/Tui and from there another 20 km to o Porriño.

Lep pozdrav. Bom caminho
Hi Albertinho :)

Thank you for your review, I will try to adopt them. Especially for Casa Fernanda. It seems to me that is not a problem prolonged for another 8 km, but after Vitorino dos Piães. It's a too much 30 km to Rubiães. However, I will try something combine. ;)

I think, watching the Portuguese route, that I will hardly follow mark on the way. Too crossroads, too Caminho. Caminho Central, Caminho Fatima, Caminho da Costa from Lisbon and from Porto, Caminho do Tejo, Caminho da Nazare, Caminho do norte, Caminho Nasciente ......

To get out of Porta I will use this map:
http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/CC01.GUIA-PORTO-RATESx2.pdf

Hvala :cool:

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, your plan looks good to me, but keep it flexible so you can change it as you go along.

Fatima – Tomar, 30,0 km

There is a marked route from Fatima to Ansiao (which is between Alvaizere and Rabacal) via Caxarias. Fatima to Caxarias about 20 kms (stay at Residencial Manalvo about 20 euros B&B for a single room), Caxarias to Ansiao about 30kms. However, you would miss Tomar, and if you have never been to Tomar before that is a “must stop” on your itinerary. Bom caminho! Jill

Hi Albertinho :)

Thank you for your review, I will try to adopt them. Especially for Casa Fernanda. It seems to me that is not a problem prolonged for another 8 km, but after Vitorino dos Piães. It's a too much 30 km to Rubiães. However, I will try something combine. ;)

I think, watching the Portuguese route, that I will hardly follow mark on the way. Too crossroads, too Caminho. Caminho Central, Caminho Fatima, Caminho da Costa from Lisbon and from Porto, Caminho do Tejo, Caminho da Nazare, Caminho do norte, Caminho Nasciente ......

To get out of Porta I will use this map:
http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/CC01.GUIA-PORTO-RATESx2.pdf

Hvala :cool:

Dobar dan Bota,

That is indeed what I mean. The dangerous route out of Porto..
On the hard shoulders of busy roads like the N13. I drove my car partly aside the route and saw the peregrinos walking half a meter away from me so next time I was there decided to skip the the stage to Maia and took the metro and walked from there.
From Vilarinho you walk through a more rural area.

If I were you I should stay at Casa da Fernanda and next day an easy 14 kms to Ponte de Lima. You then have time to see this lovely place and you can charge your "battery" to walk next day over the Portela do Alto Grande mountain to Rubiães.
The next day after Rubiães you can walk a bigger distance e.g.to O Porriño. Or somewhere in between.

Bom caminho. Lep pozdrav

Hi, your plan looks good to me, but keep it flexible so you can change it as you go along.

There is a marked route from Fatima to Ansiao (which is between Alvaizere and Rabacal) via Caxarias. Fatima to Caxarias about 20 kms (stay at Residencial Manalvo about 20 euros B&B for a single room), Caxarias to Ansiao about 30kms. However, you would miss Tomar, and if you have never been to Tomar before that is a “must stop” on your itinerary. Bom caminho! Jill
Hi Jill:)

as you said, Tomar is the place to “must stop”. I have not visited Portugal yet, so I would like to see significant places with which I will pass.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dobar dan Bota,

That is indeed what I mean. The dangerous route out of Porto..
On the hard shoulders of busy roads like the N13. I drove my car partly aside the route and saw the peregrinos walking half a meter away from me so next time I was there decided to skip the the stage to Maia and took the metro and walked from there.
From Vilarinho you walk through a more rural area.

If I were you I should stay at Casa da Fernanda and next day an easy 14 kms to Ponte de Lima. You then have time to see this lovely place and you can charge your "battery" to walk next day over the Portela do Alto Grande mountain to Rubiães.
The next day after Rubiães you can walk a bigger distance e.g.to O Porriño. Or somewhere in between.

Bom caminho. Lep pozdrav
Dobra večer Albertinho :)

thank you for your recommendation. I see that the output of Porto
problematic. This is a good reason to prepare well.

By the way, I bought a plane ticket :cool:

06.05 I come to Lisbon and the day after begin my pilgrimage.

Do
Dobra večer Albertinho :)

thank you for your recommendation. I see that the output of Porto
problematic. This is a good reason to prepare well.

By the way, I bought a plane ticket :cool:

06.05 I come to Lisbon and the day after begin my pilgrimage.

Dobra večer Bota. (Where are you from in Hrvatska ?)
The best way as I mentioned is to take the metro out of Porto either to Fórum Maia or Vilar do Pinheiro and start your caminho from Porto there or follow the Douro river to the ocean (Keep the river at your left ) and follow the ocean at your left too to Matosinhos. At the bridge over the Leixões port -and earlier) you'll find the waymarkers again direction Vila do Conde and once arriving in Vila do Conde over the bridge turn right and keep the river at your right for about one kilometer and you are on the waymatked path to São Pedro de Rates where you continue the central route to Barcelos and Casa Fernanda.

Lep pozdrav

Do
Dobra večer Bota. (Where are you from in Hrvatska ?)
The best way as I mentioned is to take the metro out of Porto either to Fórum Maia or Vilar do Pinheiro and start your caminho from Porto there or follow the Douro river to the ocean (Keep the river at your left ) and follow the ocean at your left too to Matosinhos. At the bridge over the Leixões port -and earlier) you'll find the waymarkers again direction Vila do Conde and once arriving in Vila do Conde over the bridge turn right and keep the river at your right for about one kilometer and you are on the waymatked path to São Pedro de Rates where you continue the central route to Barcelos and Casa Fernanda.

Lep pozdrav
Hi Albertinho,

so, not very good night, we lost handball match against Norway :(

Well, my town is Split, on the Adriatic coast and this is my house

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/237193...k_in=2017-01-27&check_out=2017-01-28&adults=6

I rent attic in my hose, so when you come to Croatia, only come over:)

Porto.
You see, when I go on a pilgrimage, I do not like to use bus, metro or taxi. I'm walking. If I mess up I have longer walk. I'm well with maps, I'm engineer and I think I can make it by foot. I am a pensioner and I have all the time in the world :)
So I did it on the CF and I will try also on CP.
Your tips are welcome that make me clarify the situation and help me perceive route in Porto.
I read the old forum topics and I find there also good tips. Of course, if something I does not understood, I will ask :cool:

Laku noć

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Therefore,

Fatima – Tomar, 30,0 km

Grijo – Porto, 16,7 km

Is this OK?

Thank you.

There's a wonderful seaside small hotel between Redondela and Arcade. It's a couple of km off the Camino but so worth it. It's called Antolin. So refreshing and hospitable.

Hi Albertinho,

so, not very good night, we lost handball match against Norway :(

Well, my town is Split, on the Adriatic coast and this is my house

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/237193...k_in=2017-01-27&check_out=2017-01-28&adults=6

I rent attic in my hose, so when you come to Croatia, only come over:)

Porto.
You see, when I go on a pilgrimage, I do not like to use bus, metro or taxi. I'm walking. If I mess up I have longer walk. I'm well with maps, I'm engineer and I think I can make it by foot. I am a pensioner and I have all the time in the world :)
So I did it on the CF and I will try also on CP.
Your tips are welcome that make me clarify the situation and help me perceive route in Porto.
I read the old forum topics and I find there also good tips. Of course, if something I does not understood, I will ask :cool:

Laku noć

Your attic looks wonderful. Maybe I will come to Croatia next May but with my car and caravan and stay in Istria. Not the south part this time . We will start in Dresden, then Praha,Vienna, Budapest and Balaton lake and then Ljubljana ,Koper and Pula before we go back home.
In Portugal we will be later in september of this year.

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Sorry about that handball match...

I've been doing the Lisbon - Porto walk in short stages this year while in Lisbon for work, and will be going from Santarém to Coimbra in three weeks, when work takes me to Portugal again and I have 6 days off between meetings.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back