• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My rucksack weighs 1.5KG. That's no good!!!

Undermanager

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
I'm just sitting here having a weigh-in and am slightly shocked to find my 40 litre rucksack weighs just over 1.5Kg so am wondering if anyone has got any suggestions for a lighter one (I'm UK-based). It has to be between 40 - 50 litres ideally. I'm off work tomorrow so the hunt will begin!

Still waiting for my current job to tell me when I'm finishing. Now the packing and playing has started, I want to go Caminoing as soon as possible, maybe even starting over the Easter break. Bring on the sunshine!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
40-50L? Que? Pour-quoi? Wuffo? I'll assume you are a big-boned lad.

Go to Cotswold (other retailers are available) take all your camino gear with you in your over-weight pack. Tell them what you want and why. Put all your camino gear in their suggested pack and go for a hike around the block and preferably up a couple of flights of stairs in the nearest multi-storey carpark (they may ask you to leave a deposit).

If it fits, buy it. Oh, and while you are there have a chat about why you want to take quite so much gear on a spring - summer camino ;)

I'm just sitting here having a weigh-in and am slightly shocked to find my 40 litre rucksack weighs just over 1.5Kg so am wondering if anyone has got any suggestions for a lighter one (I'm UK-based). It has to be between 40 - 50 litres ideally. I'm off work tomorrow so the hunt will begin!

Still waiting for my current job to tell me when I'm finishing. Now the packing and playing has started, I want to go Caminoing as soon as possible, maybe even starting over the Easter break. Bring on the sunshine!
Why do you need such a large capacity? Under 40 liters is good for the Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm just sitting here having a weigh-in and am slightly shocked to find my 40 litre rucksack weighs just over 1.5Kg
So? To save some weight you want to lighten your wallet? Your new pack is going to weigh something too. How much weight will you end up saving? If the old pack is any good, if it fits, if it keeps the weight on your hips, if it's comfortable why get a new one? Especially when it is about the same size as the old one.

See also this current thread to pick up other opinions. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/pack-size.46622/

I find that is quite a reasonable weight for a rucksack with that capacity, you will have to compromise in some way, you might be able to cut down 400 or 500 grams but that would be at the expense of either putting lots more money in it, missing features, or compromising capacity.

Just bear in mind that only the rain cover for such a rucksack will probably be in the regiong of 300-400 grams.

As I said, less weight means compromising budget, features or capacity, and 1500 grams for a 50 liter rucksack sound quite all right to me.

That is my view, of course, I am sure other people have different ideas.

Are Osprey backpacks available in your area? The Exos series is super lightweight relative to its volume. It comes in 38, 48 and 58L sizes. If you are willing to come down to the 38L size it only weighs 2#1oz. or just under a kilo. The 48l is not much heavier.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you love your old pack, like I love mine, then don't be distracted by the romance of getting a new pack. My pack weighs 1.9kg and is 57 litres plus 12 litres. Far too big according to all accounts. But superbly comfortable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My backpack is (35/45 ltrs) 1.5kg, fully packed with a litre of water the total backpack weight was 8.5kg.
You might save another 1/2kg if you search around, but just consider the extra cost against weight.

@Kanga just wanna say, I always love reading your posts. You are a wise woman indeed, and very kind.

My two penneth....
There are loads of very light techy backpacks out there, and very alluring and space age minimalist they can seem, but some of them have no padding at all, or they depend on things like lining them with a carry mat curved into a cylinder, or having nothing whatsoever lumpy or hard in there, or having the pack full with the exact right amount of stuff so it holds its shape. They are often aimed at the alpine/climbing market.

I think those ones will drive you mad in a camino circumstance, and quite possibly break or wear out. Of the conventional backpacks that offer normal levels of structure and comfort, the lightest ones I know are Osprey. They are also my favourites, I have a medium one for caminos and UK day hikes, and a biggie for hut trekking and travelling. I love them both.

You don't mention what you have already, but like @Kanga says, if it's not broke - relax - don't fix it! :cool:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

1.5Kg doesn't sound out of line to me. My 36l Osprey Stratos bag weighs 1.45Kg. I'd worry more about the weight of the items that you're packing in it. I've tried on lightweight bags but found them not to be comfortable. I'm sure there must be a lightweight bag out there that I'd find comfortable, but I haven't found it yet. The Osprey bags are my favorite. They just seem to fit my body.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The weight of my Kestrel 38 at 1.420 kgs.* tugs at the edge of my thoughts too. However, your comments are reassuring. Thank you.

* The heaviest in my list.

Hi HedaP

At the time I was trying to persuade a taxi driver to take me to Montparnasse.
I sort of got squashed between the taxi and this very long bendy bus. The bus
was definitely on the wrong side of the road. Mind you the driver must have
been struggling as his steering wheel was on the wrong side of the bus.
A few feathers floated on to the pavement just afterwards. I thought maybe
he'd hit a bird as well as me. On reflection, they were probably from my guardian
angel, taking the worst of the impact for me :D

When I've figured out how to upload images I'll post a picture. I ended up with a rip
in the outside mesh pocket. No real harm done.

I use a Stratos 34 l at 1.2 kg. I tried lighter packs but they were not as comfortable.

'All up' my loaded pack for the next Camino is 7.5 kg. (less food and water)
2 kg of that is gear for my 'other half' who is very small.

Her pack is a Sirrus 24 L at 1.05 kg and is 3 kg all up (less food and water)

We are travelling light next time ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also have the Stratos 36 and I was worried about its weight, so went back to Cotswolds and tried on every 30-40 litre pack they had. After over an hour I left with the Stratos again as it really felt the most comfortable loaded up. My only concern-ette is that it's completely full but I'll just have to cope as I can't see how to reduce the volume of my gear. Total weight is now is 6.8kg plus sticks and water

If you love your old pack, like I love mine, then don't be distracted by the romance of getting a new pack. My pack weighs 1.9kg and is 57 litres plus 12 litres. Far too big according to all accounts. But superbly comfortable.

YUP! That works for me as well. My bag is 45 litres and weighs 1.7 empty. BUT it's the most comfortable bag I've ever had and I use it regularly even when I'm not walking/hiking/cycling/pilgrimaging(lol) etc!

40-50L? Que? Pour-quoi? Wuffo? I'll assume you are a big-boned lad.

Go to Cotswold (other retailers are available) take all your camino gear with you in your over-weight pack. Tell them what you want and why. Put all your camino gear in their suggested pack and go for a hike around the block and preferably up a couple of flights of stairs in the nearest multi-storey carpark (they may ask you to leave a deposit).

If it fits, buy it. Oh, and while you are there have a chat about why you want to take quite so much gear on a spring - summer camino ;)

You CAN nail it down Tincat!! You are a valuable resource my friend. You can't hardly go wrong with that kind of advice. They have a saying here in the USA along the AT and that is "The larger the pack, the more you'll end up carrying." It took me forever to learn how to strip down to the real basic stuff.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Blimey guv 1.5 kg! That's nearly 50% of my total pack

I am also out of step with the current ultra minimalist trend to micro sized back packs with my 60L pack. Have never found my pack to be an issue. Supremely comfortable, easy to pack with some room left over. Everything is in the pack, nothing hanging on the outside. I carry 22 to 24 lbs including water with no issue.

Everyone differs in this, nice that their are so many choices available these days to suit each individual.

And @amancio knows what weight is reasonable to carry on your back.;)
View attachment 32671

Well, it is a matter of being practical, my 32 Liter weighs 1400 g, I believe, a Deuter, but it is just the perfect fit for me. With all my luggage, I got it down to 5.9 kg in total, then add water and a bit of food and you are ready to rock!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I dropped down a pack size after my first camino. The fist time, my pack with everything I was taking weighed just under 10kg... I was pretty happy with that at the time! :eek:

I've since lost 25kg in bodyweight and my pack when full with my gear now weighs around 6.5 kg... I'm happy with that :D

I walked originally with a 48L Osprey Kestrel and now I have a 40L Osprey Tempest. My first Tempest suffered from faulty stitching so Osprey replaced it without hesitation but the replacement just doesn't seem to fit right... it's new and the fit is work in progress but I have to agree with @Kanga ... that first 48L pack was very comfortable :):confused:

p.s. the pack weight dropped from 1.68kg to .98 kgs so I think it was worth changing.

That's basically what my Osprey Kyte 36 weighs (1.45 kg), and it's totally comfortable for me, much more so than any of the lighter packs I tried. I don't see this as a problem as long as you don't over pack it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The side benefit of my slightly heavier pack - because it is so comfortable I don't feel it, but I assume my body has to work a bit more and that consumes a few extra calories with every step...anyone for chocolate and churros?
Don't forget the vino tinto! The reward for each days walk. So great that Spain and Portugal make such excellent wine.

You haven't mentioned that huge bottle of wine.:rolleyes:

Haha! that big bottle is just a prop outside Villafranca de los Barros in Via de la Plata, I took a selfie and the effect is it looks like I am carrying it with me. That was a funny coincidence, in any case.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Trecil...talked to you a few times last September. If you recall me, I carried a 50L and friend Poul carried a 60L. Was at finisterre when you were there with Kevin. I'm doing the Portuguese in April and maybe the Norte in June and carrying a 60L this time. Only carried 14 kilos last time, going to carry more this time.

Last September was an eye-opener for me. I had no idea on previous Camino how many people carried big packs and slept in the fields because they had no money. One young woman told me that if she ever became rich, she would walk the Camino and sleep in an albegue every night. Know what a zuchinni is? She ate a big one with a bag of chips for THREE days.

€60,-
I am also out of step with the current ultra minimalist trend to micro sized back packs with my 60L pack. Have never found my pack to be an issue. Supremely comfortable, easy to pack with some room left over. Everything is in the pack, nothing hanging on the outside. I carry 22 to 24 lbs including water with no issue.

Everyone differs in this, nice that their are so many choices available these days to suit each individual.
It's great that you can carry such a large pack carrying quite a bit of weight without any problems as a man, but myself, being a smallish older gal, would be totally miserable on the Camino carrying that load! I have a new Osprey 36 liter, but in the women's xs/sm, it's more like a 34. Since I leave in early April, I have to pack for two seasons (hate being cold) and everything just barely fits. Wish it were a wee bit bigger!

YUP! That works for me as well. My bag is 45 litres and weighs 1.7 empty. BUT it's the most comfortable bag I've ever had and I use it regularly even when I'm not walking/hiking/cycling/pilgrimaging(lol) etc!
On the AT a 1.6 kg pack is not all that uncommon nor considered too heavy. The pack for my camino is slightly less than 1 kg. it is a ULA Ohm 2 from the USA but comfortable as hell. We have a lot of real ultralight ones here but most wear out fast and are pretty uncomfortable... sooooo...like hiking boots and everything else..different strokes for different folks... whatever blows YOUR skirt up

I dropped down a pack size after my first camino. The fist time, my pack with everything I was taking weighed just under 10kg... I was pretty happy with that at the time! :eek:

I've since lost 25kg in bodyweight and my pack when full with my gear now weighs around 6.5 kg... I'm happy with that :D

I walked originally with a 48L Osprey Kestrel and now I have a 40L Osprey Tempest. My first Tempest suffered from faulty stitching so Osprey replaced it without hesitation but the replacement just doesn't seem to fit right... it's new and the fit is work in progress but I have to agree with @Kanga ... that first 48L pack was very comfortable :):confused:

p.s. the pack weight dropped from 1.68kg to .98 kgs so I think it was worth changing.
Being from the good ole USA, we unfortunately are still using ounces and pounds. My eyes glaze over every time I read on this forum weights listed in kilograms and grams. I always have to do a conversion...and usually I'm a bit too lazy! :(

We both walked with Deuter Futura 32l that weigh 1.58 kg with rain cover. They were pretty full as we were early May and had some warmer kit.

Save weight gear not on comfort of pack would be my advice.

Being from the good ole USA, we unfortunately are still using ounces and pounds. My eyes glaze over every time I read on this forum weights listed in kilograms and grams. I always have to do a conversion...and usually I'm a bit too lazy! :(

I'm a Brit living in France and so I had no choice but to drag myself into the metric age... but I feel your pain as I still struggle at times, especially cooking! But it's slowly becoming the norm. :D

Just for you... I lost 55lb and my total pack weight is just shy of 15lb :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's great that you can carry such a large pack carrying quite a bit of weight without any problems as a man, but myself, being a smallish older gal, would be totally miserable on the Camino carrying that load! I have a new Osprey 36 liter, but in the women's xs/sm, it's more like a 34. Since I leave in early April, I have to pack for two seasons (hate being cold) and everything just barely fits. Wish it were a wee bit bigger!

We have traveled in early April as well on our three Camino's so far and we leave April 5th for Porto. With the extra gear for cooler weather, I am not sure how people manage with the sub 40L packs. That being said, my wife has a 50L pack and I wish it was smaller as she tends to over pack each year, so I often take 5 lbs or more from her pack, so it is good my pack is larger!

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked in a hotel in Scotland a long time ago. One American guest left the hotel to buy a newspaper only to storm back in a rage a few minutes later: the little newspaper shop round the corner didn't have either the New York Times or the Washington Post, and when he decided to buy a British newspaper instead he was told the shop wouldn't accept payment in dollars. As he passed me in the hotel lobby he was swearing loudly that he wasn't going to change his dollars which were REAL money for any f****** Mickey-Mouse s*** like British pounds. Not a great start for a happy visit. I think that sometimes you just have to work with the situation you find yourself in. As someone old enough to have made the transition personally from imperial measurements to metric, Fahrenheit to Celsius, and the pre-decimal British currency (a frankly bizarre system!) to something boring but rational I have to say it is really not that hard :)
Well, that American guest was very rude and he surely doesn't speak for me (I truly don't swear)! ...and oh, yah, Celsius degrees really trip up my Fahrenheit mind, too!

Sorry for late reply but I have been where you are. One word. Mountaintop. They have some low proce 40L packs and I think they are on Amazon.UK. Much lighter. But if you want to get down to the 1 lb range, Mozone. Some padding will be sacrificed but the Mozone can be folded up into its own bag and slip into a pocket.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with you! My daughter and I each have a 40 (+15) liter, and we love it! It fits comfortably, feels good and is large enough for for when we go backcountry backpacking and camping and need to bring more gear. We'll obviously pack it lighter for our Camino, but can't justify purchasing a smaller pack just for this trip.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Replace your pack with a smaller/lighter pack? For weight reasons, I would not replace the pack but I would consider doing so for size reasons if it does not fit the carry-on requirements and you don't travel with hiking poles. My pack's minimum length dimension is 23" or 58.5 centimeters which does not fit the US domestic length of 22"/56cm and the even shorter International length of 21.5"/55cm. I would prefer to carry-on my pack but I also travel with poles which really need to be checked in to cargo otherwise one risks losing them to the security team. Rules on poles vary and interpretation of those rules also vary within the same airport and same airline.

I don’t think 1.5kg is THAT heavy!

I don’t think 1.5kg is THAT heavy!

:) It is the cumulative weight that is the killer. So every pound or ounce or gram that one can save on each item, will add up to a nice weight loss overall.

Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain. :)

Another strategy would be to see if one can offset an overly heavy item. For example, if one always ends up with a significant reserve of water when reaching water resupply sources, lower the amount of water carried so that the amount of surplus is reduced, but not eliminated.

Yeah I get that! My pack last year was a 45l Decathlon pack that weighed about 1.7kg. Not ideal but I couldn’t afford a better/lighter one. I still managed to have a packed weight of about 6.5kg.

I’m just saying one should agonise over a 1.5kg pack if it’s otherwise suitable, fits well etc.

With the backpack itself, unlike its contents, it is less about weight but more about fit and stability. In my collection of backpacks there are some which give me less pain than others, even if the total weight on my back is 50% more.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.