• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Second Camino - A Quick Reflection

JJinWI

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 French Way
2022 French Way
Greetings All,

I completed my second Camino (both the Fench Way) on July 2!!!!

It was just as good as my first one (2018), but way different.

Camino 2018 - Rain & cold for the first couple of weeks --> Then it got hot!
Camino 2022 - Hot for the first couple of weeks --> Then it got cool.

A couple of observations:
  • I was much more relaxed on my second Camino and could enjoy the experiences more deeply.
  • I tried a few different things the second time.
  • What didn't change was the friendliness and comradery of all the pilgrims
I also just completed my blog from the second trip.

If you are interested here is a link to my blog: jjscamino.notion.site (hope you enjoy it)

I usually use WordPress for my travel blogs, but this time tried a new platform called Notion.

Cheers,

-jj

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Greetings All,

• I was much more relaxed on my second Camino and could enjoy the experiences more deeply.

If you are interested here is a link to my blog: jjscamino.notion.site (hope you enjoy it)

I usually use WordPress for my travel blogs, but this time tried a new platform called Notion.

Cheers,

-jj
Hi JJ - firstly congrats on the second Camino and also on your blog. Iā€™m very impressed by the amount of detail youā€™ve captured (steps, distance, mood) as well as the gorgeous pictures. Itā€™s awesome to have such a detailed account.

You probably cover this in your blog (Iā€™ve only just commenced) but Iā€™m curious as to what you tried differently on your second Camino. I walked the Camino Frances in 2010 and had planned on walking it for my book launch this year but my schedule didnā€™t permit it. I often wonder what it would be like to walk it again and was keen to see what you did differently. I could imagine I may take my time and linger in a few spots for longer and possibly savor some of my favourite places more.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your blog. Will read on.

Hi JJ - firstly congrats on the second Camino and also on your blog. Iā€™m very impressed by the amount of detail youā€™ve captured (steps, distance, mood) as well as the gorgeous pictures. Itā€™s awesome to have such a detailed account.

You probably cover this in your blog (Iā€™ve only just commenced) but Iā€™m curious as to what you tried differently on your second Camino. I walked the Camino Frances in 2010 and had planned on walking it for my book launch this year but my schedule didnā€™t permit it. I often wonder what it would be like to walk it again and was keen to see what you did differently. I could imagine I may take my time and linger in a few spots for longer and possibly savor some of my favourite places more.

Thanks for the kind words.

A couple of things I did differently:
  • I tried a lot of new foods (beef cheeks, pock cheeks, Pigs ears..)
  • I spent more time in the "classroom of silence" on my first Camino
  • This time I spent more time socializing
  • I took 2 extras days hiking and 1 extra rest day this time - trying to be more relaxed
  • I tried to add a few more videos to my blog (but I still suck at videos :) )
The big thing for me was the confidence (less anxiety) because I already did the Camino in 2018.

Hope that helps!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Greetings All,

Cheers,

-jj
Thank you for sharing your blog, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Your photography is incredible. I'm very inspired. šŸ˜

Edited to add:
What dates did you do your first and second Caminos? The landscape looks so lovely and green with lots of flowers. Am I correct in guessing both were around the May timeframe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings All,

Cheers,

-jj
Iā€™m just now getting into your blog. Very good read, easy. Love your sense of humor and Iā€™ve never seen the word CoinkyDink before. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ Iā€™ve only just heard it. The photos are great too. Thank you for sharing.

Iā€™m just now getting into your blog. Very good read, easy. Love your sense of humor and Iā€™ve never seen the word CoinkyDink before. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ Iā€™ve only just heard it. The photos are great too. Thank you for sharing.
Loved your blog. Your photos are amazing. Iā€™m just getting over Covid and have been dreaming of a second Camino. I did the Frances in 2015. Your blog took me on a lovely journey. Iā€™m about to google ā€˜coinkydinkā€™ šŸ¤£

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Greetings All,

Cheers,

-jj
I look forward to reading your reflections. I tried to open the link but it came in blank. I am looking for the three words you offered to help a mindset for walking a camino, some years ago... we used them, but memories are fickle things, the older they get! šŸ¤£

Greetings All,

Cheers,

-jj
The last line on the sign on day 2 of your blog is translated literally*, but poorly, as it doesnā€™t convey the meaning very well. It essentially is saying ā€œThink of others. Donā€™t make them wait for you. Itā€™s not just about youā€. Or more succinctly ā€œBe considerate.ā€

*edited from "verbatim" to "literally" - couldn't think of the word when I wrote it!

Last edited:
Greetings All,

Cheers,

-jj
Fantastic blogg great pictures and descriptions
It looks like you didnā€™t prebook any nights
I didnā€™t on my first Camino but have been thinking to book on my next one due to increased numbers and also I am a slower walker
Your recommendation would be great
Thanks again
Well done

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Fantastic blogg great pictures and descriptions
It looks like you didnā€™t prebook any nights
I didnā€™t on my first Camino but have been thinking to book on my next one due to increased numbers and also I am a slower walker
Your recommendation would be great
Thanks again
Well done

Here are my thoughts (and what I did on my 2 Caminos):
  • You should make reservations for St Jean a couple of weeks ahead
  • You should make reservations for Roncesvalles (your first night on the Camino) a couple of weeks ahead.
  • You should pre-book the first 2-5 nights (because everyone is still bunched-up.)
  • After a few days (because everyone hikes at a different pace) the crowd thins out, and there is less chance of hostels being full.
  • After a few days, you will get a feel for how busy the Camino is and whether you need to continue to pre-book.
  • For me, after day 4, I stopped pre-booking. The only problem was in Astoria where the huge (100 bed) municipal hostel was closed (the police shut it down for the day... don't know why) and this situation filled all the other smaller hostels in town. So I hiked (about 1 hour) to the next town (problem solved).
  • Once you get to Sarria, you should pre-book until Santiago (because lots of people AND groups start in Sarria)
NOTE: When I say "pre-book" I mean making a reservation the night before (or in the morning of your arrival). I did this and never had a problem.

Hope this helps!!!

The last line on the sign on day 2 of your blog is translated verbatim, but poorly, as it doesnā€™t convey the meaning very well. It essentially is saying ā€œThink of others. Donā€™t make them wait for you. Itā€™s not just about youā€. Or more succinctly ā€œBe considerate.ā€
THANKS!!

I look forward to reading your reflections. I tried to open the link but it came in blank. I am looking for the three words you offered to help a mindset for walking a camino, some years ago... we used them, but memories are fickle things, the older they get! šŸ¤£
Try the link again and let me know what happens.

I can identify three unique phases I went through on the Camino:
  1. The first third of the trip was filled with gratitude. Hiking for hours in the ā€œclassroom of silenceā€ allowed me to truly understand how much I have to be thankful for. In my ā€œnormal lifeā€ I can only spend minutes in the ā€œclassroom of silenceā€ and never get to the depths I achieved on the Camino.
  2. The second third of the trip was all about willpower. After the initial excitement of starting the Camino wears off, you realize that this is more of a test of your will. I have to admit there were a few days I really didnā€™t want to hike. It was cold and rainy and the thought of hiking for 8 hours in those conditions was not that exciting.
  3. The final third of the trip was all about rejuvenation. At this point, I could see/feel the prize was within my grasp ā€“ Santiago. I also felt that lots of baggage/dust accumulated over the years were dropping off with each mile I hiked, bringing me closer to becoming a better version of myself.
Hope this helps!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

"CoinkyDink"... you learned a new word from my blog (so my blog is officially "educational" :) )

"CoinkyDink"... you learned a new word from my blog (so my blog is officially "educational" :) )
Haha! I already knew the word from my childhood. I had never seen it in writing before. Itā€™s a funny sounding word, looks funny too. šŸ˜‚

No worries, your blog is plenty educational, we learn something new everyday.

Thank you for sharing your blog, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Your photography is incredible. I'm very inspired. šŸ˜

Edited to add:
What dates did you do your first and second Caminos? The landscape looks so lovely and green with lots of flowers. Am I correct in guessing both were around the May timeframe?
Thanks for the kind words!!!

My 2 Caminos were just a week apart:
  • 2018 May 22-June24
  • 2022 May 28 - July 2

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Greetings All,

Cheers,

-jj
Went to your blog and read every bit of it! We started the Frances from SJPP in May 29 a day behind you, but stopped at Borda and had rest stops at Pamplona, Logrono, and Leon. We got into Santiago on July 6! We of course had the same weather but in different stages. We stayed in hotels and sent our bags ahead. That helped us with heat somewhat as a lot of the hotels had A/C! I absolutely loved your blog! Youā€™re a great writer. It was fun reminiscing as you had a lot of the same pictures I did and I knew right where you were! The crazy guy singing and dancing at his food stand is named Angel. I had items for him from a couple of our Sacramento Pilgrims but didnā€™t know I would see him that day so thee stuff was in my suitcase! He met me that evening at the town we weā€™re staying at. He cried when I gave him the Sacramento pilgrim patch and the note from our @leaderā€. Heā€™s definitely quite a character. Youā€™ll love looking back at your blog and seeing all the pictures. Hope you get to see Jan again some day!

Went to your blog and read every bit of it! We started the Frances from SJPP in May 29 a day behind you, but stopped at Borda and had rest stops at Pamplona, Logrono, and Leon. We got into Santiago on July 6! We of course had the same weather but in different stages. We stayed in hotels and sent our bags ahead. That helped us with heat somewhat as a lot of the hotels had A/C! I absolutely loved your blog! Youā€™re a great writer. It was fun reminiscing as you had a lot of the same pictures I did and I knew right where you were! The crazy guy singing and dancing at his food stand is named Angel. I had items for him from a couple of our Sacramento Pilgrims but didnā€™t know I would see him that day so thee stuff was in my suitcase! He met me that evening at the town we weā€™re staying at. He cried when I gave him the Sacramento pilgrim patch and the note from our @leaderā€. Heā€™s definitely quite a character. Youā€™ll love looking back at your blog and seeing all the pictures. Hope you get to see Jan again some day!

YES, Angel is a fun guy :)

Cheers,

• After a few days (because everyone hikes at a different pace) the crowd thins out, and there is less chance of hostels being full.
This would be true if there was only one group of people walking the camino and they all started on the same day. But the slower people who started on Monday are caught up by the faster ones who started on Sunday.

Also "some high desert areas with lots of windmills" -- they're not windmills, they're wind turbines.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hereā€™s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
šŸ‘£ Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the FerĆ­a de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.