• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My September 2016 Camino Frances SJPDP-SDC

mcp52766

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2015)
Three months after my return, I have shared my experience with many people face to face. While coming from America where the Camino is not as know as it is in Europe, I found many people initially concerned but later inspired by the task, particularly with my being a 50 year old woman traveling alone and 10 months after a total hip replacement.

This Forum has helped me in many ways for the preparation, the spiritual end is more personal and harder to fathom or relay, but perhaps this blog will give some idea of what can transpire over this life changing endeavor.

Heed the call and Buen Camino!

http://americajayne.blogspot.com/2016_12_01_archive.html

with pictures:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B21yvKJnR4zQN0lCTlVZMC1qYWc/view

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Three months after my return, I have shared my experience with many people face to face. While coming from America where the Camino is not as know as it is in Europe, I found many people initially concerned but later inspired by the task, particularly with my being a 50 year old woman traveling alone and 10 months after a total hip replacement.

This Forum has helped me in many ways for the preparation, the spiritual end is more personal and harder to fathom or relay, but perhaps this blog will give some idea of what can transpire over this life changing endeavor.

with pictures:

Thank you for sharing your blog with us, I found it very moving and it so much reminded me of my journey last year.

@mcp52766 Thank you for sharing your story and your heart. I enjoy your writing style, your honesty, and your insight...
"Who are you without your children, work, or partner? I am hard on myself, I am complicated, low-maintenance, persevering, and impatient of people who can do more for themselves but do not. I am open and friendly, but guarded and judgmental at depth."
...I believe I have found my long lost twin!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@mcp52766 Thank you for sharing your story and your heart. I enjoy your writing style, your honesty, and your insight...
"Who are you without your children, work, or partner? I am hard on myself, I am complicated, low-maintenance, persevering, and impatient of people who can do more for themselves but do not. I am open and friendly, but guarded and judgmental at depth."
...I believe I have found my long lost twin!
and a triplet.... I walked with my husband about the same time leaving SJPdP on 9 Sep 16 arriving in SDC on 17 Oct....I haven't been able to articulate my walk internally or externally yet so really enjoyed reading your blog. I open my mouth to try to describe the experience but nothing comes out. Walking with my (competitive and super fit) husband did not "allow" me the personal experience I was hoping for....maybe I'll walk it solo one day. I know that sounds greedy...and guilt kicks in again... it was indescribable for so many reasons but "different".

Thank you for sharing your words and feelings. I loved to read your blog.
Buon Camino and happy new year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for all the positive feedback. We are all inspirations to one another!

Happy New Year!!!

and a triplet.... I walked with my husband about the same time leaving SJPdP on 9 Sep 16 arriving in SDC on 17 Oct....I haven't been able to articulate my walk internally or externally yet so really enjoyed reading your blog. I open my mouth to try to describe the experience but nothing comes out. Walking with my (competitive and super fit) husband did not "allow" me the personal experience I was hoping for....maybe I'll walk it solo one day. I know that sounds greedy...and guilt kicks in again... it was indescribable for so many reasons but "different".

Hello Marg,

Thank you for your heartfelt response to my blog. I don't think I ever would have embarked on the journey had I had a partner in life. Doing it together or alone is worth its weight in gold, and it must be challenging to walk with someone exclusively every day for so many days. Even being there on my own, there were several times I had to weigh my own journey's pace against the companionship of others, people I met and really bonded with after days together, and it was hard to move ahead, or let them move ahead. It taught me about the fluidity of relationships in life, and those that are meant to come back around again, even if we separate ourselves from them for a time.

Last edited:
I was almost moved to tears reading your blog. I related to your journey, your pain, the sense of freedom one feels on the Camino, the search for who the real person was within at their particular time in life. Thank you.
Linda

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you so much for sharing ,wonderful reading !
Sorry for not having met you on the way as we got to SDC the same day !
Buen Camino !

Hello Marg,

Thank you for your heartfelt response to my blog. I don't think I ever would have embarked on the journey had I had a partner in life. Doing it together or alone is worth its weight in gold, and it must be challenging to walk with someone exclusively every day for so many days. Even being there on my own, there were several times I had to weigh my own journey's pace against the companionship of others, people I met and really bonded with after days together, and it was hard to move ahead, or let them move ahead. It taught be about the fluidity of relationships in life, and those that are meant to come back around again, even if we separate ourselves from them for a time.
Beautifully put and so, so true.

Wonderful account Maria. You are a wordsmith of the heart. I walked the Frances and the English in Oct./Nov. I can describe the sights, sounds, people, culture, etc., but I struggle putting feelings and emotions into words. I can blame it on my generation and gender, but that's a weak excuse. Easier for me to say I felt all the emotions, and maybe a few more, that you experienced. With all I saw and experienced, I miss my fellow pilgrims the most. I thought I was a loner, preferring to walk and stay to myself. I was 'shown' that this is not true. The reason I will return is to share fellowship with pilgrims I haven't yet met. This may sound a bit strange in our 'real world' environment here. Camino Pilgrims will understand and connect to this desire. On another note, I am a native, born & raised in Tampa 61 years ago, and never left! Many friends on Davis Island; we all went to Plant High School and Wilson Jr. High before that. Small world! Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wonderful account Maria. You are a wordsmith of the heart. I walked the Frances and the English in Oct./Nov. I can describe the sights, sounds, people, culture, etc., but I struggle putting feelings and emotions into words. I can blame it on my generation and gender, but that's a weak excuse. Easier for me to say I felt all the emotions, and maybe a few more, that you experienced. With all I saw and experienced, I miss my fellow pilgrims the most. I thought I was a loner, preferring to walk and stay to myself. I was 'shown' that this is not true. The reason I will return is to share fellowship with pilgrims I haven't yet met. This may sound a bit strange in our 'real world' environment here. Camino Pilgrims will understand and connect to this desire. On another note, I am a native, born & raised in Tampa 61 years ago, and never left! Many friends on Davis Island; we all went to Plant High School and Wilson Jr. High before that. Small world! Buen Camino.

Hi Frankie,

Nice to make your acquaintance, and thank you for reading about my journey. Small world indeed. It is comforting to meet Pilgrims who 'live' nearby. When I was done with the walk I thought it would be difficult to return to a similar experience, but clearly the experience never really leaves us! Buen Camino!

Thank you for sharing your Camino journey. It reminds me of what it can bring to us: "love, friendship, clear head, strong body, solitude, adventure." It's where "people believe in dreams." It makes me want to walk again.

with pictures:

I read your experience of the Camino... thank you so much for sharing! Ultreia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back